Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

3DS friend codes

Zero Esc: 5370-1685-4344
Terrik: 2165-7002-1010
Far: 1676 - 4968 - 0688
Ravenpoe: 3265-5056-9628

Five days.

Just five more days until Super Smash Bros.

I am probably over-hyped to the point of annoying my wife a little, but I have good reason! I've been looking forward to this game for years.

I don't know who else is getting it, or who is waiting for the Wii U version, but I am pumped for this Friday. We probably all already have each other's Wii U friend codes from the Mario Kart 8 thread, and if only Nintendo would let us link those things together ... but sadly, they do not, so let's again make a list which I will maintain at the top of this post.

Having played the demo, the game looks and plays fantastic. If I had any gripe, it's jump-button placement compared to with the Gamecube controller, and it's wiser to just hit up on the joystick for jumping. I'm also going to switch dodge/shield and grab on the shoulder buttons because it makes more sense for dodge to be on the same side as the directional stick. I have no idea what characters I want to play--all of them, for starters, but even just running 2-minute matches to get a feel for a character, it would take just a few minutes short of two hours to try them all. That's crazy.

Terrik

Terrik

Perfect timing too, because I'm just about to finish SMT IV

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Not only is Nintendo going to trick me into buying this twice, they're going to trick me into buying a WiiU as well.

Terrik

Terrik

Not only is Nintendo going to trick me into buying this twice, they're going to trick me into buying a WiiU as well.
Im afraid that's going to happen to me too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I might get the Wii U version in the far future, but since we don't have company over much, I have no reason to. I'll have to find someone who is buying it and not the 3DS version so they can give me their Club Nintendo code so I can get the soundtrack though.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why can't I plug a gamecube controller into the 3DS?

Dei

Dei

I might buy a cartridge version of Smash for my 3ds to share, I refuse to buy 4 copies when I am going to be getting the Wii U version. I don't think I ever posted my Wii U friend code, but I have posted my 3ds code across multiple threads. ;) When I return to Hyrule Warriors with my son later today I will post it.

Dei

Dei

My Nintendo network ID is AnnaDei if anyone wants to friend me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My Nintendo network ID is AnnaDei if anyone wants to friend me.
For Wii U, I presume? EDIT: Never mind, just checked the Wii U. :D

My wife and I have had you on 3DS since Animal Crossing; I'll post hers in this thread too at some point. I just know there are people who don't have those other games that may be getting Smash Bros.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I want a release date for the WiiU version, damnit.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I want a release date for the WiiU version, damnit.
Popular rumor is November 21--which is the same date as Pokemon, so I doubt it. I've also heard rumors that it'll be delayed to 2015, but I doubt that too.

I doubt everything.

mikerc

mikerc

Popular rumor is November 21--which is the same date as Pokemon, so I doubt it. I've also heard rumors that it'll be delayed to 2015, but I doubt that too.

I doubt everything.
I doubt your doubts.

Terrik

Terrik

Enjoy tomorrow, for it will be the last day of your old life.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm going to pass on the 3DS version and wait for the WiiU version.

Terrik

Terrik

I'm going to pass on the 3DS version and wait for the WiiU version.
Do you not wish for new life? :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Do you not wish for new life? :(
Revered Terrik: "Do ya hate yer sins?"
Crowd: "Yes!"
Revered Terrik: "Doooo ya wanna new liiiiife?"
Crowd: "Yes, we do!"
Reverend Terrik: "Theeeen, buy Super Smash Bros for the 3DS this Friday and be REBORN!"

Terrik

Terrik

Revered Terrik: "Do ya hate yer sins?"
Crowd: "Yes!"
Revered Terrik: "Doooo ya wanna new liiiiife?"
Crowd: "Yes, we do!"
Reverend Terrik: "Theeeen, buy Super Smash Bros for the 3DS this Friday and be REBORN!"
Can I get an "Amen"?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Can I get an "Amen"?
"Jiggly!"

Dei

Dei

Sigh, I caved and stopped at GameStop today and pre-ordered both versions. Fuckers. I want to be able to share it with my kids, so I couldn't do digital download, and Gamestop is my best option for that.

Covar

Covar

I've had my pre-order with Amazon since January. :D

Dei

Dei

I was only going to get the Wii U version, but I changed my mind.

Terrik

Terrik

Sigh, I caved and stopped at GameStop today and pre-ordered both versions. Fuckers. I want to be able to share it with my kids, so I couldn't do digital download, and Gamestop is my best option for that.

PRAISE NINTENDO!

Far

Far

Dammit I figured you could at least pre purchase from the eshop but you can't do that until 12 either. This is gonna be just like x and y release again.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Is there a tangible benefit to the 3DS version aside from having another copy and a 3DS-specific SP mode?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Is there a tangible benefit to the 3DS version aside from having another copy and a 3DS-specific SP mode?
Smash on the toilet?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Smash on the toilet?
I find it much easier to open the lid, instead.

Dei

Dei

Because we're all playing sooner duh!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dammit I figured you could at least pre purchase from the eshop but you can't do that until 12 either. This is gonna be just like x and y release again.
I'm mentally preparing myself to not be able to play it until morning.

Playing it sooner, playing it anywhere, and for me, playing it more. I know that even if I'm home, I'm more likely to play on my handheld next to me than pop a disc into the Wii U.

Covar

Covar

From what I remember from last year, the art style is different. There's also exclusive stages to both the 3DS and the WiiU, based on handheld and console games from each series respectively.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Smash on the toilet?
Also, this was my TEN THOUSANDTH POST!

Worth it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

From what I remember from last year, the art style is different. There's also exclusive stages to both the 3DS and the WiiU, based on handheld and console games from each series respectively.
Art style difference is slight--really graphic quality is the big change there. While the versions share a few stages, overall each has its own bunch.

Then there's the controls. Both are improvements on the Wiimote, and the Gamepad might be too clunky, however, the Wii U can use Gamecube controllers, probably the best controls for Smash Bros. The 3DS version setup is pretty good, but using the buttons to jump are in odd placement and it's better to just hit up on the joystick for jumping.

Other than that, the Wii U will have Amiibo support earlier, as 3DS won't have it until the New 3DS comes out. I have no idea what the Amiibos will do.

Dei

Dei

I want to pick up my game because GameStop here is releasing pre-orders at 10, but my son is in the car with me and has jazz band at 7am. :( Oh well, tomorrow.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

eshop keeps crashing on my 3DS :(.

Dei

Dei

This should not surprise you.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This should not surprise you.
It does when my wife's got back in just fine and is currently downloading the game. I have no idea why mine is repeatedly kicked unless there's some invisible queue. I tried keeping hers in the eshop while I had mine enter at midnight. Mine got fucked up and has been locked out for the last half-hour, hers wouldn't update internally, so I risked hers exiting the eshop, but it somehow got back in and was able to download. I currently have hers on closed-3DS download. No idea why I'm stuck on one side of the gate with mine, but not hers.

I'm wondering if I should just go to bed and hope it's sorted by morning.

Terrik

Terrik

It does when my wife's got back in just fine and is currently downloading the game. I have no idea why mine is repeatedly kicked unless there's some invisible queue. I tried keeping hers in the eshop while I had mine enter at midnight. Mine got fucked up and has been locked out for the last half-hour, hers wouldn't update internally, so I risked hers exiting the eshop, but it somehow got back in and was able to download. I currently have hers on closed-3DS download. No idea why I'm stuck on one side of the gate with mine, but not hers.

I'm wondering if I should just go to bed and hope it's sorted by morning.
What? Crap. I just woke up to buy the game. Lets see if I get better luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1412311235,1412310891][/DOUBLEPOST]I do have better luck. Downloading with no problem.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wife's is at 91%. I'm just playing Theatrhythm--and hey, the versus connection just failed!

Maybe I'll try again once my wife's download completes.

Terrik

Terrik

All done. That wasn't so bad.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

... sounds like @ThatNickGuy's prom night?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Terrik

Terrik

I already completed a solo run with Robin. Really fun. Kinda disappointed they decided to ditch cutscenes this time around though.

Terrik

Terrik

My friend code is 2165-7002-1010

Back to playing.....hmm wonder if I can do an online match.[DOUBLEPOST=1412317409,1412317043][/DOUBLEPOST]The answer is yes, and it played delightfully smooth

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I kept trying to give it a break and then going back. Well, apparently that was the wrong approach. The way to get in is to keep trying, non-stop, according to Reddit. I tried doing that just before 2AM, got in after 5 or 6 tries. I will never be nice to the damn eshop again.

98%.[DOUBLEPOST=1412318051,1412317921][/DOUBLEPOST]
My friend code is 2165-7002-1010
Just so you know, friends aren't actually registered unless both people log each other's friend codes.

Terrik

Terrik

I kept trying to give it a break and then going back. Well, apparently that was the wrong approach. The way to get in is to keep trying, non-stop, according to Reddit. I tried doing that just before 2AM, got in after 5 or 6 tries. I will never be nice to the damn eshop again.

98%.[DOUBLEPOST=1412318051,1412317921][/DOUBLEPOST]

Just so you know, friends aren't actually registered unless both people log each other's friend codes.
Well. I know now.

And I remain friendless.

:(

Terrik

Terrik

What am I doing. I have an exam today. Its too late to sleep now.

Or should I say its too early.

Help.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well. I know now.

And I remain friendless.

I've added your code to my friend list, so if you add mine while connected to the internet, it should load mine in automatically.

Dei

Dei

I added you as well.
1203-9316-6767

Covar

Covar

OH $!#% I fORGOT TO CHARGE MY 3DS!!!!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Online is a big battery hog. Gotta charge this thing before I leave the house or it's gonna die out there.

There are so many awesome features. Old favorites are back, some of them tweaked with better approaches. I'm glad the achievements from Kid Icarus Uprising are back; it's an easy way to track and attempt unlocks. I've got a couple characters and stages already.

I do wish there was a story mode with cutscenes like in Brawl, because that was silly and fun. I also kind of wish there were less characters at the beginning. Partly because I enjoy unlocking them, but also because there are so many that the choices are overwhelming. It can take a couple hours just to try them all out, let alone figure out who you're decent with. I'm having a rough time with Palutena, for example, but I know not to ditch her because in the demo I had a rough time with Mega Man at first. Now I'm great with him. Some characters are pick-up and play (like Robin) and others demand time to be understood and properly used. And there's so many that it's hard to figure that out. Not to mention, I want to play as the old characters too.

And yet, there's a way to make even MORE characters. The Mii Fighter creator is a lot of fun. Customizing movesets, playing with the outfits. Even the Mii sizes come into play, as my regular Mii is normal character sized, while the chibi version my wife made is a little Kirby-height thing. I'm looking forward to unlocking more moves and outfits.

Also, the choice of Streetpass feature is underwhelming. I thought we'd get to swap Mii Fighters or custom movesets, but apparently that kind of stuff is being reserved for Amiibo, so we get some weird spinning tops mini-game that I doubt I'll play much. It feels as wasteful as Pokemon XY's Streetpass. Fortunately the next Pokemon games will be doing something more interesting, but as for SSB4, it's kind of a shame.

But that doesn't really matter. The game is beautiful, runs fantastic, and there's a ton of stuff to do in it. Looking forward to when my wife gets home so we can play together.

Dei

Dei

image-2809475395.jpg

Dei

Dei

Dei

Dei

One hour until GameStop opens FFFFFFFFFF.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Bowser is kind of OP. His down-B attack can add 40%.

I kind of feel bad I know the tricks for Homerun Bat even though Melee was so many years ago. I remember that was a necessary step for unlocking a stage and it took me a while to figure out the best way to send the sandbag flying, but I still remember today, so I've hit it 1800+ already. Friggin' Ness.

Also, something Tumblr people don't seem to realize, although you can't post screenshots on Miiverse, you can take in-battle snapshots while paused. I'm assuming they save to your SD card.

Dei

Dei

I AM SO CONFUSED THAT DOWN+B ON ZELDA IS NOT TURNING INTO SHEIK. Seriously though, that is going to take me a bit to expect something different.

Terrik

Terrik

Bowser is kind of OP. His down-B attack can add 40%.

I kind of feel bad I know the tricks for Homerun Bat even though Melee was so many years ago. I remember that was a necessary step for unlocking a stage and it took me a while to figure out the best way to send the sandbag flying, but I still remember today, so I've hit it 1800+ already. Friggin' Ness.

Also, something Tumblr people don't seem to realize, although you can't post screenshots on Miiverse, you can take in-battle snapshots while paused. I'm assuming they save to your SD card.

I love bowser. I have always loved bowser. They finally did him right.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I AM SO CONFUSED THAT DOWN+B ON ZELDA IS NOT TURNING INTO SHEIK. Seriously though, that is going to take me a bit to expect something different.
Same here, but I do like the Phantom coming out. Makes me wish there was a Toon Zelda.

I love bowser. I have always loved bowser. They finally did him right.
He's great; he's just rough to face without items, at least as Pit. It's going to take me forever to figure out who I'm good with.

I've also noticed some of the mini-games are for local multiplayer, so that's pretty damn cool. Even Gamecube didn't have that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wish we could friend people we meet on the 3DS in mutliplayer like you can on the Wii U. I've been fighting For Glory with one guy for the last hour and I don't want to lose him.

Far

Far

Well. I know now.

And I remain friendless.

I added you as well.
My code is:

1676 - 4968 - 0688

Dei

Dei

No surprise really, but tried to play online while dinner was cooking, and it was super lag fest. :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm wondering if the presence of spectators is causing some of the lag. Fighters don't see them, but I tried spectator mode and considered that no one in there would know I was there, yet my presence would still be a 5th strain on the connection.

Not surprisingly, one-on-one mode in For Glory has zero lag. Not even a little.

Is anyone else finding it really easy to unlock characters? I was just fooling around in Smash mode, trying out different characters, and ended up unlocking four more characters almost one after the other.

Far

Far

From what I've heard characters will arrive to be unlocked either after completing increments of 10 smash matches or their special conditions, whatever comes first, usually beating the classic mode with a certain character. Then they will show up in smash until you unlock them.

I've had some lag online while fighting but never any while spectating.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Probably won't get to play till the WiiU release, but a friend has been playing it a lot. Apparently Shulk's pretty weak, as the game's got a new, stronger focus on projectiles compared to previous Smash games. That, or he's just bad with Shulk, I don't know. He tells me Bowser's fantastic this time around, though, which makes me super happy as he's one of my favorites.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I am rockin' with Sonic, which was not the case in Brawl.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Probably won't get to play till the WiiU release, but a friend has been playing it a lot. Apparently Shulk's pretty weak, as the game's got a new, stronger focus on projectiles compared to previous Smash games. That, or he's just bad with Shulk, I don't know. He tells me Bowser's fantastic this time around, though, which makes me super happy as he's one of my favorites.
I decided to try out Shulk, and he's pretty powerful. I didn't even see all he could do because I didn't realize his neutral B shifted aspects of his attacks. Either way, his side-B and up-B with the sword are strong, and his down-B slows other enemies when used correctly. Methinks your friend just sucks with Shulk. I'm not exactly seeing a huge emphasis on projectiles, no more than before, aside from annoying twerps online who just spam one move. I get kicked from For Fun because I hit the same guy too many times in a row during a three way, but this other ass can just keep hitting Pikachu's neutral-B over and over? Bullshit. Nintendo, either police it right or don't police it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Shulk's really good. The range on that sword is amazing.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well that's good to hear, I really want him to be fun as I was hoping he'd make the cut. Plus we got Guar Plains, which was the exact level I was dying for (mainly for the music).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I gave most of the characters a shot yesterday; I think the only ones I missed out on (aside from those I haven't unlocked) were Luigi, Sheik, and Pac-Man. So I say with confidence, there really aren't weak characters. Some of them are A. new player friendly, some are B. easy to use so long as you know the game, and some are C. take practice and an understanding of how to use them, even for experienced players.

Shulk is B. He doesn't have the toys and tricks or OP recovery that a newb-friendly character would have (Villager), but if you know Smash Bros, he's a solid fighter. He may even be better than my one or two fights using him; the shifting signs that his neutral-B does definitely mean something and someone who studied him could probably find an even stronger fighter.

Speaking of study, I need to find out what Rosalina's down-B does once I finish working on stuff this morning. Now she seems to be more of a fighter requiring some knowledge and practice. I'm sure someone who does that with her will find great ways to exploit the Luma. Though, I have to wonder, if they were able to do this with Rosalina and Luma, why couldn't they do Ice Climbers? It's practically the same mechanic: you control one character's direct movements, while the attacks are done by both characters. It makes me wonder if the whole "3DS can't handle it" excuse was to get the Ice Climbers fans to shut up, because clearly the 3DS can handle it. It's just weird.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm posting this thing I made here because people on Tumblr seem to be liking it and it got me 10 new followers since yesterday. (Spoilered for size.)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The best friend code ever (aka Poe's)
3265-5056-9628[DOUBLEPOST=1412436168,1412435651][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, now that I've taken a look at spectator mode, number of spectators shouldn't have any effect on lag in the actual match, since it doesn't appear to be live. You're behind the live action, watching the replay as its uploaded to nintendo's servers.

Terrik

Terrik

The best friend code ever (aka Poe's)
3265-5056-9628[DOUBLEPOST=1412436168,1412435651][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, now that I've taken a look at spectator mode, number of spectators shouldn't have any effect on lag in the actual match, since it doesn't appear to be live. You're behind the live action, watching the replay as its uploaded to nintendo's servers.
added you

Terrik

Terrik

Maybe its just me, but litte mac seems crazy powerful.

May a tad too much so.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe its just me, but litte mac seems crazy powerful.

May a tad too much so.
He is crazy powerful, but he's still beatable.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Little Mac hits like a truck, but he has no air game and terrible recovery.

Terrik

Terrik

Little Mac hits like a truck, but he has no air game and terrible recovery.
Yeah well I got my ass owned by him 1v1 without question. I gotta figure out a strat against him.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Little Mac wants to stay on the ground and hit you. Don't let him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Your bird-loving ass couldn't beat me alone :p.

Terrik

Terrik

Your bird-loving ass couldn't beat me alone :p.

Haha...yes, unexpected help.

Terrik

Terrik

That was just embarrassing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wouldn't worry about it considering how many times you've beat me.

Terrik

Terrik

I wouldn't worry about it considering how many times you've beat me.
I've especially liked our Mega man/ROB and Cap falcon/Wii fit trainer fights.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've especially liked our Mega man/ROB and Cap falcon/Wii fit trainer fights.
Accidental Ness vs Ness is Magicant was cool enough, but then for Jeff to show up as an assist? That was awesome.

Terrik

Terrik

Accidental Ness vs Ness is Magicant was cool enough, but then for Jeff to show up as an assist? That was awesome.
I know, pure awesome.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

...Jeff is an assist trophy? Does...does he fire Bottle Rockets?

Terrik

Terrik

Heh, yep

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Killed my ass with them.[DOUBLEPOST=1412460045,1412459830][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, last one, 'cause I gotta get dinner going.

Terrik

Terrik

Killed my ass with them.[DOUBLEPOST=1412460045,1412459830][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, last one, 'cause I gotta get dinner going.
That was great man. Also I won that last match by a fraction of a second.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I want it known that Poe was playing on For Fun for a while and could've joined us any time. I had a lot of fun. I'll have to practice more with particular characters; at this point I've tried all I've unlocked.[DOUBLEPOST=1412460500,1412460462][/DOUBLEPOST]
That was great man. Also I won that last match by a fraction of a second.
For the record, that was total bullshit considering how hard it can be to pull off Mega Man's buster versus a human opponent :p.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wife: "15 more minutes." -_-

Turns out replays aren't videos ... news to me, but it makes sense. In any case, I guess the only way to share them is to record them playing using a camera of your own. I was hoping there would be some kind of Youtube exporter like with Mario Kart 8.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I want it known that Poe was playing on For Fun for a while and could've joined us any time. I had a lot of fun. I'll have to practice more with particular characters; at this point I've tried all I've unlocked.[DOUBLEPOST=1412460500,1412460462][/DOUBLEPOST]

For the record, that was total bullshit considering how hard it can be to pull off Mega Man's buster versus a human opponent :p.
I was trying to see if there was any way to communicate with you guys, bit didn't want to just jump in the middle of your game. I was on my lunch break, so didn't really have a lot of time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was trying to see if there was any way to communicate with you guys, bit didn't want to just jump in the middle of your game. I was on my lunch break, so didn't really have a lot of time.
Nope; it just has a room that says it's open. You wouldn't have been interrupting. Nintendo doesn't really like people being able to communicate much in their games. I'm amazed Mario Kart 8 and Pokemon XY have voice chat options for some parts.

Terrik

Terrik

But, for example, I couldnt find a way to join Poe. The only reason we ended up playing is being I decided to open a room and sit around until you popped in. I dunno if there's a way to invite people or what. Maybe i'm missing something,

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But, for example, I couldnt find a way to join Poe. The only reason we ended up playing is being I decided to open a room and sit around until you popped in. I dunno if there's a way to invite people or what. Maybe i'm missing something,
While you're like that, your Friends List icon says to join in, so it let me know you were inviting. But unless you check that, or the Friends section in Smash, there's no way to know without arranging extraneously.

Terrik

Terrik

While you're like that, your Friends List icon says to join in, so it let me know you were inviting. But unless you check that, or the Friends section in Smash, there's no way to know without arranging extraneously.
Yeah I was literally sitting there punching a training bag for 10 minutes waiting for you or poe to notice and drop in

Far

Far

That's kinda lame, I was looking at playing online with friends earlier and thought I must have been missing the option to send an invite.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That's kinda lame, I was looking at playing online with friends earlier and thought I must have been missing the option to send an invite.
Well, it can still be arranged out here. I'm making it a point now to check on the friends section in Smash Bros just to see what they're doing. I don't expect people to have a lobby open and waiting, but if they're in the middle of some For Glory for real stuff, I'm not going to expect them to come out of it. Off line play, that's more hopeful.

My wife and I got to play a bit tonight. I think her problem is that she wants to play 1-on-1 because that's what she's used to with fighting games, but 1-on-1 in Smash Bros can get intense. We had a bit more lucky with her in a group of bots, and she won the second of those. I'd stay up to play more with you guys, but I've gotten 8 and a half hours of sleep since I woke up on Thursday, so I really need to try and catch up on some sleep tonight.

Far

Far

Sarah and I have been playing a lot of smash run. I wish there was an option to play that online too.

Terrik

Terrik

Well im pretty much always online, so Ill be happy to play with anyone.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

@Terrik I don't know if you're waiting for me in your Join thing or if you're playing with someone else and I'm being vain, but it's gonna be another 20 minutes or so before I can play.

Terrik

Terrik

@Terrik I don't know if you're waiting for me in your Join thing or if you're playing with someone else and I'm being vain, but it's gonna be another 20 minutes or so before I can play.

No, but actually yeah, I was just seeing if you wanted to play or not. I seriously wish there was a better way to do this, like an invite button, or a quick response buttom like, "Sure", "Im busy" "Maybe later".

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

No, but actually yeah, I was just seeing if you wanted to play or not. I seriously wish there was a better way to do this, like an invite button, or a quick response buttom like, "Sure", "Im busy" "Maybe later".
The Wii U version will, since that kind of stuff is built into the Friends function. It works for Mario Kart 8 and Monster Hunter 3U, so I assume they'll do it for SSB4.

Anyway, I'm on.[DOUBLEPOST=1412520261,1412519956][/DOUBLEPOST]Also: alternative to fighting the punching bag while waiting is to fight CPUs. Better practice and no different than fighting them offline, plus less boring.

Terrik

Terrik

Wait what. Did I just lose that?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wait what. Did I just lose that?
Don't hit bombs with a hammer :p.

Terrik

Terrik

Oh Game & Watch, will I ever be good with you?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Lay off da hooch, Terrik!

Terrik

Terrik

Lay off da hooch, Terrik!

Lawl. I dont know what was wrong with me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Peach vs Pikachu got weird.

Terrik

Terrik

Peach vs Pikachu got weird.
How did YOU survive the mine I put on you, but *I* died.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

AAAAAAAHHHHH[DOUBLEPOST=1412522044,1412522002][/DOUBLEPOST]
How did YOU survive the mine I put on you, but *I* died.
Princess power.[DOUBLEPOST=1412522092][/DOUBLEPOST]
Pretty much. "Hmm, I could keep sending the Luma at him and keep myself safe--so I have time to jump off this ledge using my recovery, dooming myself." -_-

Terrik

Terrik

Terrik

Terrik

So much for good triumphing over evil.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So much for good triumphing over evil.
Dark Pit's not evil; just an angsty bitch.

He comes around pretty fast in Kid Icarus Uprising, actually.
[DOUBLEPOST=1412522904,1412522742][/DOUBLEPOST]Water Pokemon beats Fire Pokemon, no one is shocked.

Terrik

Terrik

And Charizard drowning in water seems fitting, somehow.[DOUBLEPOST=1412523341,1412522939][/DOUBLEPOST]Twice in a row I havent been able to KO you.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why am I at work? I want to plaaaaay

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And Charizard drowning in water seems fitting, somehow.[DOUBLEPOST=1412523341,1412522939][/DOUBLEPOST]Twice in a row I havent been able to KO you.
Considering how much you tend to beat me, I wouldn't worry if I up you on a character you're unfamiliar with. Palutena is hard to use.[DOUBLEPOST=1412523916][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why am I at work? I want to plaaaaay

Terrik

Terrik

That bird's always been there for me.

I was almost sorry to kill his traitor ass.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Palutena is so difficult.

Terrik

Terrik

Huh. First time I played Shulk. Strange, but probably useful mechanics.

Dei

Dei

I'm joining the battle bitches!

Terrik

Terrik

A new challenger has appeared!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hey @Dei !

And @Dream Goddess my wife is coming in too.

Dei

Dei

Ugh, anyone else lagging or is it me?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

CHAAARIZAAAARD!!!

Terrik

Terrik

Poor pit, getting in the middle of our Charizard convention.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ugh, anyone else lagging or is it me?
It was us too.[DOUBLEPOST=1412527071,1412526796][/DOUBLEPOST]
Poor pit, getting in the middle of our Charizard convention.
That was hilarious.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I loving punching the air and falling to my end during sudden death.

Terrik

Terrik

Oddly enough, I love it too :p[DOUBLEPOST=1412527904,1412527743][/DOUBLEPOST]Did....did that crash bomb not hit me?

Dei

Dei

I need to go make kids do homework now, later!

Terrik

Terrik

Rofl...

I need to go make kids do homework now, later!

Great playing with ya!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wife got hungry. I'm probably gonna take a break soon too.

Terrik

Terrik

Alright, me too. I have an online exam to take.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And I just kept taking the bait ...

It was fun playing with you guys. We'll do it again soon.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They list this as an alternative to the circle pad problem. "Worried about accidentally breaking your 3DS? Then break your 3DS on purpose."

Dei

Dei

Nov. 21 release date for Wii U confirmed. http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/G3YQClpzahmw97qVXCWrS4gFNc58o2K8

Also Relevant:

For those who want to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with their favorite Nintendo GameCube controller, Nintendo is introducing an adapter that lets up to four original Nintendo GameCube or WaveBird controllers work with the game. The adapter will be available at a suggested retail price of $19.99. Nintendo is also launching a standalone Nintendo GameCube controller emblazoned with the iconic Super Smash Bros. insignia at a suggested retail price of $29.99. Additionally, Nintendo is offering a special bundle that includes Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, one Nintendo GameCube controller and one adapter at a suggested retail price of $99.99. All of these items launch Nov. 21.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Nov. 21 release date for Wii U confirmed. http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/G3YQClpzahmw97qVXCWrS4gFNc58o2K8

Also Relevant:

For those who want to play Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with their favorite Nintendo GameCube controller, Nintendo is introducing an adapter that lets up to four original Nintendo GameCube or WaveBird controllers work with the game. The adapter will be available at a suggested retail price of $19.99. Nintendo is also launching a standalone Nintendo GameCube controller emblazoned with the iconic Super Smash Bros. insignia at a suggested retail price of $29.99. Additionally, Nintendo is offering a special bundle that includes Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, one Nintendo GameCube controller and one adapter at a suggested retail price of $99.99. All of these items launch Nov. 21.
I was so excited to hear this. I've been checking for the release date every day for the past month, and I've had that bundle preordered since it was first announced. Bring on November!!!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Trading time!

To anyone planning to get the Wii U version who doesn't use Club Nintendo: if you'd be willing to give your Club Nintendo code to me, I'd be willing to trade some codes in return. More specifically, I can get game codes from Club Nintendo. For example, right now I can get Kirby Super Star as a VC download code for the Wii U, and then later this month there will be other things, and then by the time SSB4 comes to Wii U, other things. I'd be willing to get some codes for someone who would give their unused Club Nintendo code from SSB Wii U. Current stuff available until October 12:

Wii U
- Mario Bros
- Kirby Super Star

Wii mode only
- Super Punch Out
- NES Play Action Football

3DS
- Super Mario Bros
- The Legend of Zelda
- Touch Solitaire (DSiWare)
- Pictobits (DSiWare)

If someone wants any of these, let me know before Oct 12 so I can snag a code. And then if another thing comes out for October/November, I'll let you know what they are. I'm willing to do three codes for the Club Nintendo code.

Dei

Dei

Noyoucanthavemybonusrewards.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Noyoucanthavemybonusrewards.
Oh, I knew not from you; you got the 3DS version too. But others have skipped it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I downloaded the demo and gave it a try and I have no idea what's going on and oh my god my Mario just got kicked off a cliff by Pikachu. Still have no idea what's going on though, this must be what controlled chaos feels like.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I downloaded the demo and gave it a try and I have no idea what's going on and oh my god my Mario just got kicked off a cliff by Pikachu. Still have no idea what's going on though, this must be what controlled chaos feels like.
You've never played a smash bros game before? The basics are simple: it's sumo wrestling. You win by forcing your opponent out of the arena, and the more damage you apply to them (raising their damage meter, which is shown as a percentage) the further they fly when you hit them.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You've never played a smash bros game before? The basics are simple: it's sumo wrestling. You win by forcing your opponent out of the arena, and the more damage you apply to them (raising their damage meter, which is shown as a percentage) the further they fly when you hit them.
I played the very first one back at university, on my room mate's N64 emulator on his computer. That felt easier to understand. I played a mean Samus back then.

Now, though, it feels like there's so much more going on. Also, the 3DS screen is significantly smaller than the computer screen I used to play on, which makes it harder to see the details of what's going on.

Going to give the demo some more play time, see if it grows on me, but right now this is feeling more like a pass than a buy, for me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't know where else to put this:

Does anyone else notice their 3DS start-up has been slower since Tuesday's update? I can't help but wonder if Nintendo is implementing features now that will be better suited to the New 3DS, but our current 3DS's lack the processing power to undergo them smoothly.

I did buy the Zelda: ALBW theme, but my wife just has generic home theme and hers is running slow too.

Covar

Covar

I couldn't say, that would require me to shutdown super smash bros.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Having had the game a week and a half, there are some things I think need to be said.

Now that the Wii U version has a release date, my advice is that if you have not already purchased the 3DS version, just wait for November 21st. Elements of multi-player in the 3DS are either gimped, such as no ability to contact friends, or don't exist, such as two-player online team-up friend vs strangers. These things will or should be present in the Wii U due to friends list and hardware differences.

It's frustrating for me because on some level I feel like I bought a gimped version of the game, with the proper version's release date purposely withheld until after the 3DS release. For Fun online is laggy as a rule, and though I'm in heaven while playing 1-on-1 in For Glory, I could've done that with the Wii U. The portable version doesn't serve much purpose compared to online play possibilities, and though personally my wife and I would like to have it so we can play when traveling, we do that very little and by the time we have our next big trip, Monster Hunter 4 will be out.

So, my feelings about the 3DS version are mixed. It IS Smash Bros and it's a blast, but I feel like there's a better way right around the corner, one I should've waited for. At this point, we've plunked down $80 on two 3DS copies. Another $60 for the same game isn't happening.

Terrik

Terrik

At the very least, for those of us that don't have a Wii U or don't plan to get one soon, I'm thankful for it. If you already have a Wii U, sure, why wouldn't you want to play with a friend's list and a screen as large as your TV can give you.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

At the very least, for those of us that don't have a Wii U or don't plan to get one soon, I'm thankful for it. If you already have a Wii U, sure, why wouldn't you want to play with a friend's list and a screen as large as your TV can give you.
Correct, I should've made that part of my post. What I said pertains to if you already have a Wii U. For people with only a 3DS and no plans to get a Wii U, it's still really good.

I just wish they would stop gimping features of the 3DS for the sake of the damn Wii U. I bought a Wii U and I have a 3DS. My 3DS shouldn't get punished just because the Wii U isn't meeting sales expectations.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think it's the limitations of the 3DS as a console, and not the sales of the WiiU, that is to blame for missing features in Smash Bros, like voice chat. The game is already maxing out the power of the hardware, it doesn't even have cpu to spare for bringing up the home menu. Try it, shit takes forever.

Though, a way to ping buddies to see if they want to play would be nice. Maybe they'll add that in a patch (wishful thinking)[DOUBLEPOST=1413260595,1413260368][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, apparently, the gamecube controller adapter that is being released for the Wii U alongside Smash Bros is -only- compatible with Smash Bros, whereas before it was thought that it would work with any game that supports the pro controller.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think it's the limitations of the 3DS as a console, and not the sales of the WiiU, that is to blame for missing features in Smash Bros, like voice chat. The game is already maxing out the power of the hardware, it doesn't even have cpu to spare for bringing up the home menu. Try it, shit takes forever.

Though, a way to ping buddies to see if they want to play would be nice. Maybe they'll add that in a patch (wishful thinking)[DOUBLEPOST=1413260595,1413260368][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, apparently, the gamecube controller adapter that is being released for the Wii U alongside Smash Bros is -only- compatible with Smash Bros, whereas before it was thought that it would work with any game that supports the pro controller.
There's no hardware limitations preventing two people from joining an online game together as a team to fight others; it's no different than if you did Team Smash with all strangers. They chose not to mix the Friends section with anything else. As for pinging friends, Swapnote was once a method for this, but Nintendo nerfed that due to concerns about what messages people would send each other. I really don't think there will be any patches aside from integrating DLC into the main game. But yeah, the home screen takes forever because the 3DS has to reset. In fact, it takes less time to switch over from Smash Bros to another game than just heading back to the home screen.

BErt

@Zero Esc that was all incredibly helpful, thanks. Don't have a Wii U yet but plan on getting one soon (when we can grab Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2 all at once) but I've been going crazy keeping myself from grabbing the 3DS version.

Also, apparently, the gamecube controller adapter that is being released for the Wii U alongside Smash Bros is -only- compatible with Smash Bros, whereas before it was thought that it would work with any game that supports the pro controller.
I don't suspect that will effect sales much, is there anything on the system that would benefit as much with a GC controller? And I know this is at risk of "let me google that for you" but is the adaptor expected to work with wavebirds?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

@Zero Esc that was all incredibly helpful, thanks. Don't have a Wii U yet but plan on getting one soon (when we can grab Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2 all at once) but I've been going crazy keeping myself from grabbing the 3DS version.

I don't suspect that will effect sales much, is there anything on the system that would benefit as much with a GC controller? And I know this is at risk of "let me google that for you" but is the adaptor expected to work with wavebirds?
It's said to support gamecube controllers and wavebirds, so yes. And while I can't think of anything that -needs- a gamecube controller, I don't see why the option shouldn't be there for those who -want- to use it in place of a pro controller.

Zappit

Zappit

I've got an original 3DS, and I had to take a break from the game because the eye strain on that screen is horrible. It is not easy, because I'm frigging loving this game.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've got an original 3DS, and I had to take a break from the game because the eye strain on that screen is horrible. It is not easy, because I'm frigging loving this game.
I can't imagine playing it on an original 3DS. The characters get small enough as it is on an XL.

Although, I'd abstain from an upgrade until the New 3DS comes out. Even the regular model will have a larger screen, and some articles I've read say the regular New 3DS does its large screen better than the XL. I'm guessing this is due to screen resolution.

Zappit

Zappit

That's what I'm planning on, anyway. I'm going to get the new model.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm conflicted about which New 3DS to get when they come out abroad. While I love my big screen on my 3DS XL, the New 3DS regular size has a largish screen (not as big) yet improved screen resolution, while the New 3DS XL will have the same resolution as the regular XL. I'm debating whether I want to keep the huge size, or if I want to finally not have jaggies when playing certain games.

I'll have to see more when demo units come to the U.S.

Also, @Gusto favor me with your presence in Smash! I see you!

Terrik

Terrik

I'm conflicted about which New 3DS to get when they come out abroad. While I love my big screen on my 3DS XL, the New 3DS regular size has a largish screen (not as big) yet improved screen resolution, while the New 3DS XL will have the same resolution as the regular XL. I'm debating whether I want to keep the huge size, or if I want to finally not have jaggies when playing certain games.

I'll have to see more when demo units come to the U.S.

Also, @Gusto favor me with your presence in Smash! I see you!
why...why would they new XL have the same resolution. Why would they do that.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

why...why would they new XL have the same resolution. Why would they do that.
I don't know. I just don't know.

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!
You are not Gusto!

:p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

ok, gotta run for lunch now, sorry to smash and run

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

ok, gotta run for lunch now, sorry to smash and run

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

At least Dedede fulfilled his dream of smashing Kirby :p

Gusto

Gusto

Oh well hello.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh well hello.
It's cool, man. It's cool. Didn't have anything special planned ...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

To highlight my earlier point about waiting, today's Smash Bros screenshot from Sakurai showed modes cut from the 3DS, now returned to the Wii U, and there will be a Nintendo Direct on Thursday going over 50 new things for the Wii U version.

Terrik

Terrik

-_-

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh, and Wii U version is getting the Hyrule Temple stage from Melee.

Which emphasizes that most of the stages in the 3DS one are samey and too small. I regret getting this, because between the cut features and the AWFUL LAG, the only thing I feel I can get enjoyment out of now is 1-on-1 For Glory, but that's just one thing. I want the whole Smash Bros package. I want the craziness and not in slow-mo. But we've already dropped $80. I've been looking forward to this game for years and I bought the crappy version. If I'd known it was going to be that, I wouldn't have bought it--which I'm sure was Nintendo's plan all along.

Just gonna have to cross my fingers that I find some way to get the Wii U version someday for cheaps and without the money going to Nintendo. The one good thing the 3DS version will provide me is for whenever I next go to a con. The four-player zaniness won't be lagged to hell when it's local.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If you thought the portable version that's $20 cheaper than the console version was going to have as many features as the console version, then I don't really know what to tell you.

I'm enjoying it for exactly what it is, portable Smash.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If you thought the portable version that's $20 cheaper than the console version was going to have as many features as the console version, then I don't really know what to tell you.

I'm enjoying it for exactly what it is, portable Smash.
I didn't think the online was going to be a disaster and I thought the stuff they'd said was different was all, not that they're be so much news within a week or so after the 3DS one. I thought Nintendo was being upfront.

Dei

Dei

You didn't think online would be a disaster?! I certainly did. :/

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't know what the fuck Nintendo's problem is with the internet, but man they refuse to make games work with it in any tolerable capacity.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You didn't think online would be a disaster?! I certainly did. :/
Brawl was so many years ago. Hell, maybe I'm being optimistic about the Wii U having it better.

I don't know what the fuck Nintendo's problem is with the internet, but man they refuse to make games work with it in any tolerable capacity.
Funny thing is, Sakurai's last game, Kid Icarus Uprising, has pretty demanding online, lots of action and stuff, but it works just fine. If you lag, it's on you; it doesn't stall up the whole thing for everyone else.

In fact, I might play that this week, because the online for that is a blast. Still one of the best 3DS games despite the release of Smash Bros.

Dei

Dei

Watching Nintendo Direct now!

Dei

Dei

OMG UP TO 8 PLAYER LEVELS

Terrik

Terrik

I refuse to buy a wii damnit.

Dei

Dei

One of us, one of us.

Terrik

Terrik

Ha surviving on student loans will save me.

Which. ....is a weird kind of victory.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Mewtwo next year, that's going to make a lot of people very happy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wonder if the Wii U's internet will punish all the players for one person's lag, or work like every other online game and make it lag for that person while working fine for everyone else.

Lots of cool stuff. Sucks that I already bought this; like I said, if I get it at all, it'll be pre-owned. Nintendo got enough money from me. I'm wondering if Mewtwo is free if you have both versions, but can be bought as DLC if you just have one, or if it's only obtainable by having both.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I wonder if the Wii U's internet will punish all the players for one person's lag, or work like every other online game and make it lag for that person while working fine for everyone else.
Most fighting games I've played handle it like Smash does, because otherwise you have desync in a game where individual frames of animation can matter. Fighters that desync make it almost unplayable.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Most fighting games I've played handle it like Smash does, because otherwise you have desync in a game where individual frames of animation can matter. Fighters that desync make it almost unplayable.
I'll take your word for it, as all the other online games I play or have played are shooters, racing games, and whatever Kid Icarus Uprising qualifies as.

Then I don't know. I guess the only thing I'm missing out on big-time is the huge levels, because the Wii U lag will likely be as bad or worse than the 3DS.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I refuse to go to bed until I beat this guy playing Little Mac, but I'm not sure that means I'll ever go to bed.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I got him. He finally gave up after facing my cunning strategy of dying until he got tired of me.

aaronmocksing

aaronmocksing

I haven't touched a Smash game in ages, much less had an opportunity to really get Brawl at all. :/ I'm poor like that, lol.

Still, kinda surprised Simon Belmont never makes the cut every time. Or any Belmont/character from Castlevania, honestly. They're long overdue for this kind of series, lol, I remember them being an NES staple for me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I haven't touched a Smash game in ages, much less had an opportunity to really get Brawl at all. :/ I'm poor like that, lol.

Still, kinda surprised Simon Belmont never makes the cut every time. Or any Belmont/character from Castlevania, honestly. They're long overdue for this kind of series, lol, I remember them being an NES staple for me.
Well, with Brawl we got Snake, who is a Konami character just like Simon. But I'm pretty sure overall it's a licensing issue, especially considering that Snake did not return in Sm4sh.

aaronmocksing

aaronmocksing

Yeah, that's probably true. :) Pac-Man was a pleasant surprise, at least, for the latest game.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

There's a new Super Smash Bros. trailer, this time showing off Duck Hunt.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There's a new Super Smash Bros. trailer, this time showing off Duck Hunt.

Oh shit, Duck Hunt Dog's in it!?

... wait.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I didn't see that as being worth the time--it's making an announcement for something they released over a month ago.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I didn't see that as being worth the time--it's making an announcement for something they released over a month ago.
Well, it's relevant to those waiting for the WiiU version, and coincides with the release announcement for Duck Hunt on virtual console.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, it's relevant to those waiting for the WiiU version, and coincides with the release announcement for Duck Hunt on virtual console.
Duck Hunt on VC is cool, but for SSB4, even without the leak, the duck's out of the bag. Been out for over a month. I don't think the people who watch those videos are also the kind of people who don't already know the roster.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That was my thought as well, but I guess if you haven't played the 3DS version it was a nice overview of his moveset.

I'm also interested to see how they'll continue to handle the Amiibos, I wasn't expecting there to be current releases that would be compatible, especially on the level of a new weapon in HW. It's neat, but I'm still not sure I'd drop cash on the things.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was my thought as well, but I guess if you haven't played the 3DS version it was a nice overview of his moveset.

I'm also interested to see how they'll continue to handle the Amiibos, I wasn't expecting there to be current releases that would be compatible, especially on the level of a new weapon in HW. It's neat, but I'm still not sure I'd drop cash on the things.
Amiibos are going to be like Streetpass, where Nintendo shoehorns the feature into any game they can think of, even if the idea does little to nothing for that game. The Amiibos for Smash Bros can gain experience points and grow stronger, but I don't see a purpose to that unless you and others all have Amiibos, and even then you'd want them evenly matched, so it's the same as usual. You can bring your custom moveset to people's houses, but again, not much purpose. The extra weapon in Hyrule Warriors is neat IF you have the Link Amiibo and the same hard-on for Twilight Princess that the HW developers have, but all other Amiibos just give you a random item or power-up--woop-de-shit.

Probably the best Amiibo use mentioned so far is that if used for Mario Kart 8 while playing as a Mii racer, that racer gets a costume based on that Amiibo character. And that is such a small feature that it's sad it's the best one. Maybe if it was a character-based cart as well.

They need a game akin to Disney Infinity or Skylanders to make the best use of these things. I still won't buy them, but kids will eat that shit up and it's the kind of playground you'd really need to make these things work.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

They need a game akin to Disney Infinity or Skylanders to make the best use of these things.
They do. It's called Pokemon.

Just wait, you know they're coming.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They do. It's called Pokemon.

Just wait, you know they're coming.
I feel that would lose some of the fun in Pokemon of capturing them ... but you're right; that would be smart.

aaronmocksing

aaronmocksing

Great to see the Duck Hunt dog make a comeback. :) Leak or not, it does help diversify the roster, IMO. The more creative the better. Definitely brought back some fun nostalgia after seeing the trailer. :D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Weird; Smash Bros now updates that a patch is forthcoming. Courteous of them, I suppose?

It purports to have balance fixes, but like with the last patch, Nintendo likely isn't going to tell us what was changed.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Picked up my Smash bundle (game/controller/adapter) earlier today. Got about an hour into it with the wife...holy hell Little Mac is fun.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I had already pre-ordered smash bros for the WiiU, so it was ready to play today. Again, my nintendo network ID is bowielee.

Add me so I can get pwned by all of you.

In case you can't tell, that's my subtle way of saying that I suck eggs at this game. Still love it, though.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

My brother and I are going to be streaming all night while we play this. Gonna start around 10pm pacific. Hop in the stream and watch us go if you're like us an have nothing to do on a Friday night!
Twitch.tv/bumblesfumbles

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My brother and I are going to be streaming all night while we play this. Gonna start around 10pm pacific. Hop in the stream and watch us go if you're like us an have nothing to do on a Friday night!
Twitch.tv/bumblesfumbles

I'm sure he's coming...

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just played about eight hours with a couple of guys from my psychology masters program. It was a blast. We unlocked all characters except for the Duck Hunt dog.

Little Mac has been my favorite, by far.

Dei

Dei

I let my kids have free reign with it last night. I think they spent all night watching 8 man CPU battles.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I let my kids have free reign with it last night. I think they spent all night watching 8 man CPU battles.
Things started getting heated when they started running a betting ring on which cpu would win, and ended with one threatening to break the knees of the other if they didn't pay up the 200 yi-gi-oh cards they had lost by betting it all on cpu3.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So how's the online stability?

Enresshou

Enresshou

So how's the online stability?
I'd say it's a little above what I expected from Nintendo with a game like Smash: there's a fair amount of lag at times, but that's likely due in large part to the sheer number of people playing. I played for ~2 hours online and had substantial lag in maybe 25-30% of those matches.

On another Smash related note...REALLY happy I preordered the limited edition bundle and snagged some controllers from the local pawn shop earlier this year. Apparently the GameCube controller adapters are nearly impossible to find right now and controller prices are shooting up.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I got two of the GC controllers that plug into the wiimotes. That works just fine.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd say it's a little above what I expected from Nintendo with a game like Smash: there's a fair amount of lag at times, but that's likely due in large part to the sheer number of people playing. I played for ~2 hours online and had substantial lag in maybe 25-30% of those matches.
Thanks for the answer.

I already wasn't going to buy this version, but I think I'm going to pass on even asking for it as a Christmas gift. With online so bogged down and me not having people to play with IRL besides my wife, I just don't think it's for me anymore. Which sucks.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Thanks for the answer.

I already wasn't going to buy this version, but I think I'm going to pass on even asking for it as a Christmas gift. With online so bogged down and me not having people to play with IRL besides my wife, I just don't think it's for me anymore. Which sucks.
Well, for what it's worth, I'd qualify my perspective with the fact that we were playing in the afternoon/early evening the Saturday after launch. Considering Nintendo's traditional difficulties with online experiences I'm somewhat impressed the lag we experienced launch week was so mild. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I really cast judgment on it, though.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, for what it's worth, I'd qualify my perspective with the fact that we were playing in the afternoon/early evening the Saturday after launch. Considering Nintendo's traditional difficulties with online experiences I'm somewhat impressed the lag we experienced launch week was so mild. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I really cast judgment on it, though.
I'm guessing that, considering this would be such a huge product and major expected profits for them, Nintendo stepped up the quality of their online service for it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Just to weigh in, I tried a couple of online matches this weekend and it ran just fine and dandy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

True.

Dei

Dei

My son is destroying me at this game. :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What the hell is Olimar/Alph good for?

Terrik

Terrik

Speaking of which, after trying out the Wii U version of smash bros, I feel a little cheated getting the 3DS version. It doesn't even really compare.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Speaking of which, after trying out the Wii U version of smash bros, I feel a little cheated getting the 3DS version. It doesn't even really compare.
It's really not fair in general to compare a mobile version of the game to a console version of a game.

Speaking of console and mobile versions, I'm kind of pissed that Mewtwo is going to be exclusive for those who own both versions.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It's really not fair in general to compare a mobile version of the game to a console version of a game.

Speaking of console and mobile versions, I'm kind of pissed that Mewtwo is going to be exclusive for those who own both versions.
Actually, I think Nintendo has announced that Mewtwo will eventually get a wider DLC release. Not for a while, however, which does kind of irk me.

Honestly, my main annoyance regarding characters is Dark Pit. He's a clone fighter whose similarity to Pit really annoys me. At least Dr. Mario feels more divergent from normal Mario. I think that someone else could have taken Dark Pit's spot, like perhaps Wonder-Red.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Actually, I think Nintendo has announced that Mewtwo will eventually get a wider DLC release. Not for a while, however, which does kind of irk me.

Honestly, my main annoyance regarding characters is Dark Pit. He's a clone fighter whose similarity to Pit really annoys me. At least Dr. Mario feels more divergent from normal Mario. I think that someone else could have taken Dark Pit's spot, like perhaps Wonder-Red.
Dark Pit really didn't take away a lot of production time from the other fighters, purely because he is so similar to normal Pit. It's not like they had x number of slots, and Dark Pit being included took a slot away from another fighter.

Most likely what happened is the same that brought about Mario and Dr Mario. They tweaked Pit's moves, and decided to keep both versions.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Plus, Sakurai came up with Dark Pit, so I think it's fair to let him throw that one in.

Olimar/Alph just sucks so much ...

You didn't need to try the Wii U version for that; just watch the Wii U version's Nintendo Direct. I thought that we'd essentially be getting the same game, like Shovel Knight. Hahaha, no. No, no, no. Not at all.

I kind of hope someone got me the Wii U version for Christmas, because I'm not giving Nintendo more money for it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I do not believe this is true. The entire reason they gave for doing it was for promotion of getting the 3DS version.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I do not believe this is true. The entire reason they gave for doing it was for promotion of getting the 3DS version.
Here's an article mentioning the plan to eventually sell him as DLC later on down the line: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-we-have-no-smash-bros-premium-dlc-plans-b/1100-6423752/.

Dei

Dei

I finally registered my Wii U Smash Bros, and then laughed that the soundtrack is being physically delivered to me on CD. Oh Nintendo.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I finally registered my Wii U Smash Bros, and then laughed that the soundtrack is being physically delivered to me on CD. Oh Nintendo.
In March, no less.

My cousins got me the Wii U version for Christmas. I haven't popped it in yet; maybe after my wife watches one of the 10 DVDs I got her.

grub

grub

Smash Bros is awesome! I love Wii Fit Trainer! I wish I had a 3ds so I could get the DLC.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Brother got the WiiU version from his fiance for Christmas.

I'm really enjoying Palutena and Rosalina in the newcomer pool, though I have a few others I haven't played yet. Bowser feels really strong now, and doesn't feel as slow and clunky as he used to. I think the only character I've played and not really liked so far is Sheik.

Shulk seems like he'd be really great if you focused on learning him, especially with the Monado Signs. Speed makes him so fast I almost ran off a few edges multiple times.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Smash Bros is awesome! I love Wii Fit Trainer! I wish I had a 3ds so I could get the DLC.
Even with a 3DS, you'd need the 3DS version. I like Mewtwo, but I wish I had my $40.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Having played Smash on the Wii U a little bit, my current thoughts:

- Much better levels. In pretty much every way.
- Eight player Smash is fun, but I doubt I'll ever have eight people at my house for it. Looks like I need Amiibo friends :awesome:
- On that note, online will never be as fun as having people present, but at least it runs pretty smooth. There have been a couple moments of slowdown here and there, but the game never just stopped and ran a loading cycle like it does for stretches on the 3DS.
- However, with online not being as fun ... there's nothing Nintendo can do about that unless they allowed microphones to work during the game like PC, Playstation, and Xbox games do. If they don't allow mic use for Splatoon, I'll have to reconsider purchasing it, because ...
- My wife hates this. The 3DS screen is better for her, with tiny levels close to her face, but this is just chaos to her. So, I pretty much have to play solo.

I did start to have more fun when I took the For Fun battles more seriously. The 3DS lag problems kind of ruined me in that I took For Fun battles to mean spamming a wide move (which isn't very fun). Now I have the freedom to actually fight, so I'll have to try again and do that more. I still wish items dropped more often.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've been working to unlock stuff, so I haven't done much outside the Games/More section. I'm really having fun with Palutena, her basic moveset doesn't have much offense so you have to rely on her normal attacks, which is fine because her Smash moves are crazy strong.

Rosalina/Luma is interesting, your Luma can actually fall and die like the Ice Climbers non-controlled character, except it will respawn eventually.

Dei

Dei

- Eight player Smash is fun, but I doubt I'll ever have eight people at my house for it. Looks like I need Amiibo friends :awesome:
- On that note, online will never be as fun as having people present, but at least it runs pretty smooth. There have been a couple moments of slowdown here and there, but the game never just stopped and ran a loading cycle like it does for stretches on the 3DS.
- However, with online not being as fun ... there's nothing Nintendo can do about that unless they allowed microphones to work during the game like PC, Playstation, and Xbox games do. If they don't allow mic use for Splatoon, I'll have to reconsider purchasing it, because ...
- My wife hates this. The 3DS screen is better for her, with tiny levels close to her face, but this is just chaos to her. So, I pretty much have to play solo.

I did start to have more fun when I took the For Fun battles more seriously. The 3DS lag problems kind of ruined me in that I took For Fun battles to mean spamming a wide move (which isn't very fun). Now I have the freedom to actually fight, so I'll have to try again and do that more. I still wish items dropped more often.
Maybe play on smaller stages have your wife use the gamepad? There are plenty of small stages the Wii U version.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe play on smaller stages have your wife use the gamepad? There are plenty of small stages the Wii U version.
I didn't think to give the gamepad over to her. If I can ever convince her to give it another chance, we'll try that.

Dei

Dei

As an aside, I am getting very sick of Swype dropping words on me because it can't keep up.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm actually working on learning Jigglypuff. Man, when you get to know how to play her, she's deadly as hell.[DOUBLEPOST=1420062276,1420062223][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I love the weird/hard to learn characters, but I have to reiterate what was said earlier. What the hell good is Alph/Olimar?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm hoping to work on my Bowser/Palutena/RosaLuma game, they're all a lot of fun to play. Once I feel more comfortable with the game itself I might work on Shulk, he seems pretty awesome if you get his Monado Sigils down.

Bowielee

Bowielee

One of my friends pwns face with Shulk.

Shawn

Shawn

Zero: One of these days we will have to face-off.
I'm also down for some Mario Kart again.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Zero: One of these days we will have to face-off.
I'm also down for some Mario Kart again.
In Mario Kart, sure, but I sold Smash Bros Wii U. Only have the 3DS version now, and that's because I'm stuck with it (download).

Shawn

Shawn

In Mario Kart, sure, but I sold Smash Bros Wii U. Only have the 3DS version now, and that's because I'm stuck with it (download).
Sorry to hear. I don't get a chance to play it much, but it seems like a fun game. I guess I might have more people available to play it with.

What days typically work for you for Mario Kart? I have the weekend off. I'm sure we can find a good time if you and your wife are down.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sorry to hear. I don't get a chance to play it much, but it seems like a fun game. I guess I might have more people available to play it with.

What days typically work for you for Mario Kart? I have the weekend off. I'm sure we can find a good time if you and your wife are down.
Considering you have kids, yeah, you have more people to play with :p. My cousins moved away and Julie hates Smash, so it just wasn't fun alone.

We can probably play for a little bit sometime this weekend; maybe Saturday evening. Just keep in mind we're 3 hours ahead of you.

Shawn

Shawn

Since I missed that post I'm going to have to find another day that works. Are there any of the upcoming days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) that work for you?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Since I missed that post I'm going to have to find another day that works. Are there any of the upcoming days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) that work for you?
Not this week. Probably not until mid-March, to be honest; I probably should've expressed that in the post.

Shawn

Shawn

Not this week. Probably not until mid-March, to be honest; I probably should've expressed that in the post.
Stop being busy. You're a writer. You're supposed to make your own schedule.
(Note - Author of above post has absolutely no idea what a writer's schedule is supposed to be like)

Bowielee

Bowielee

For the record, I'd play too, if we can work out a time when we're all available. I'd also play Smash with you, @Shawnacy

Shawn

Shawn

For the record, I'd play too, if we can work out a time when we're all available. I'd also play Smash with you, @Shawnacy
Awesome. I'll PM you my cell number. Feel free to text me when you find yourself with free time. That typically makes it easier to meet up online.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Stop being busy. You're a writer. You're supposed to make your own schedule.
(Note - Author of above post has absolutely no idea what a writer's schedule is supposed to be like)
I'm an editor as my day job; writing ain't paying the bills yet, so that takes up free time. The reason we won't have socializing time for a bit is pre-vacation quest management, vacation, and then post-vacation. Four kids is harder to deal with than four rats, but kids can be taken with you; we have some stuff we gotta get prepared with other people before we can leave our pets for a week.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Mewtwo coming in late April, and Lucas coming in June!

Also, you can go to smashbros.com to vote for other characters to be introduced as DLC.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Buying both versions was not a sound idea for anyone who did so just to get Mewtwo--he'll be $4 on 3DS, $5 on Wii U.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Buying both versions was not a sound idea for anyone who did so just to get Mewtwo--he'll be $4 on 3DS, $5 on Wii U.
I'm annoyed that they never seemed to say you needed to register the games by yesterday. I would have done so for a free character.

Dei

Dei

There was an email about it if you had Club Nintendo I think.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm annoyed that they never seemed to say you needed to register the games by yesterday. I would have done so for a free character.
It was in the last Nintendo Direct and I saw it all over the place on March 30th, but that might be because I was already registered with Club Nintendo. I was actually kind of annoyed that they pushed that so hard with a deadline, and then said the character would only be $4-5 anyway.

If I get individual codes for 3DS and Wii U, you can have my Wii U code. I sold the Wii U version since I have no one at home to play it with (wife hates Smash Bros), so I just have the 3DS version to play with my Amiibos :foreveralone:.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Every time I went to Club Nintendo, and every email I got from Nintendo, kept saying IN ALL CAPS that the final day to register everything was March 31st.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Every time I went to Club Nintendo, and every email I got from Nintendo, kept saying IN ALL CAPS that the final day to register everything was March 31st.
Well now I'm annoyed that I somehow missed that.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Has anyone been submitting entries for the Smash Bros. DLC ballot? Since Nintendo has started it, other game companies have started to chime in on the idea. Michael Spence over at Microsoft wants to see Banjo and Kazooie make it in, while the folks at WayForward are championing for Shantae.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I put in for Knuckles. I mean, come on, his name is goddamn Knuckles for god's sake. Who better for a fighting game?

Dei

Dei

I really want Professor Layton. :/
Also Bayonetta.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Has anyone been submitting entries for the Smash Bros. DLC ballot? Since Nintendo has started it, other game companies have started to chime in on the idea. Michael Spence over at Microsoft wants to see Banjo and Kazooie make it in, while the folks at WayForward are championing for Shantae.
Part of me thinks that's cool, part of me is worried they're going to muddle the votes. That said, I'd love to see Banjo Kazooie (without being a Duck Hunt clone).

I put in for Knuckles. I mean, come on, his name is goddamn Knuckles for god's sake. Who better for a fighting game?
This is also a good one. As for me ...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Bubsy . . .

. . . what?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Honestly, I'm still trying to decide who I'd submit my ballot for. The choices I'm considering from are:

King K. Rool
Bayonetta
Professor Layton
Lip (from Panel de Pon)
Shovel Knight
Urban Champion

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honestly, I'm still trying to decide who I'd submit my ballot for. The choices I'm considering from are:

King K. Rool
Honestly, I'd cut this one for starters. I don't think he can bring anything of note to the game.

I notice no one's voting for Ridley :p.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, I'd cut this one for starters. I don't think he can bring anything of note to the game.

He's already in the game.

And man, FUCK the stage with Ridley in it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

For me, I could see a mechanic for King K. Rool where he has three movesets, but the Down B allows him to switch between them. The three movesets would of course have different looks, with one being his standard King K. Rool look, one for when he was Kaptain K. Rool, and finally when he was K. Roolenstein.

As for why the others:

Bayonetta (Successful third-party character who could add another female fighter to the title, also stands out with interesting moves and the fact she's from a rated M game)
Professor Layton (successful franchise, could have moves related to puzzles from the games)
Lip (could have an interesting mechanic to replicate a puzzle game feel)
Shovel Knight (HUGE success of a third-party character)
Urban Champion (his game was Nintendo's first (and honestly pretty crappy) fighting game, and I'd like to see the closest thing this franchise could have to Dan Hibiki)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I really want Professor Layton. :/
Also Bayonetta.
Isn't Bayonetta too explicitly sexual for a smash bros game?

I just really don't see Nintendo including her in the franchise.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Maybe Bub & Bob from Bubble Bobble?

Puzzle-bobble-universe.jpg

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Maybe Bub & Bob from Bubble Bobble?

View attachment 17914
Would be a fun replacement for Ice Climbers for sure.

Looking at Namco games, DigDug would be cool too, I wager, though his air pump would be a lot of extra work in modeling characters getting pumped up/popped.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

For me, I could see a mechanic for King K. Rool where he has three movesets, but the Down B allows him to switch between them. The three movesets would of course have different looks, with one being his standard King K. Rool look, one for when he was Kaptain K. Rool, and finally when he was K. Roolenstein.
I hate to keep shitting on the idea, but that sounds like the same reason they had to divide Zelda from Shiek and Samus from Zero Suit Samus, because they couldn't get that kind of thing to work on the regular 3DS.

Isn't Bayonetta too explicitly sexual for a smash bros game?

I just really don't see Nintendo including her in the franchise.
Same. She'd be a fun fighter and including doesn't mean you have to include some of her suggestive poses, but her presence alone would mean an Amiibo and also kids getting exposed to the Bayonetta franchise. Nintendo has loosened up a lot with this kind of stuff, allowing it on their consoles, but Smash Bros is one of their most popular series.

Plus, her Final Smash attack would have to be a demon summon ... not sure Nintendo would want that either.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I hate to keep shitting on the idea, but that sounds like the same reason they had to divide Zelda from Shiek and Samus from Zero Suit Samus, because they couldn't get that kind of thing to work on the regular 3DS.

Same. She'd be a fun fighter and including doesn't mean you have to include some of her suggestive poses, but her presence alone would mean an Amiibo and also kids getting exposed to the Bayonetta franchise. Nintendo has loosened up a lot with this kind of stuff, allowing it on their consoles, but Smash Bros is one of their most popular series.

Plus, her Final Smash attack would have to be a demon summon ... not sure Nintendo would want that either.
Honestly, as much as some may disagree, you do raise some good points.

I think I'll vote for Lip. She's generally obscure, even if most people know her game from its reskinned variants like Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League, and she could have an interesting mechanic designed to evoke a puzzle game feel for her moves.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Got my Mewtwo codes and I don't need the Wii U one. @CynicismKills you can have it if you want it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

If he doesn't want it, can I have it :)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Got my Mewtwo codes and I don't need the Wii U one. @CynicismKills you can have it if you want it.
Sure, I'll take it, been planning to get back on Smash with this last update. Thanks!

Zappit

Zappit

Lucas, Roy, and Ryu available today. Ryu's moves are stronger if you use the original SF commands.

Ryu gets a stage, Dream Land returns.

Costumes include Inkling Boy and Girl, Isabelle, Heihachi, Akira, and Megaman EXE.

The e-shop goes down in 3,2,1...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

DREAM LAND, YES.

I love Dream Land.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, with this announcement, this seems to be the current state of the Nintendo eShop servers:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

For anyone who hasn't seen it:

Roy (Fire Emblem) hitting Roy (Koopaling) was funny.

I appreciate that the reasoning behind more Mega Man costumes is "due to series popularity."

Oh joy, Mii Fighter Amiibos. The entire appeal of Mii Fighters is customization; these figurines are stuck in the generic form.

Kind of wish Dream Land was free DLC, but whatever; it's my favorite stage from the older games, so I'll pay for it.

Instant replays to Youtube, as proper video files--I like.

Though the leak spoiled some things by a day, I think it was still pretty surprising that it was already ready for download. I'm not even gonna bother with the eshop right now.

Dei

Dei

My son is super excited about all of the new DLC, gonna buy all of it for him for his birthday. (Which is conveniently this week, so huzzah)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Definitely getting Ryu, Dream Land, and the Zero costume. Already getting Splatoon costumes for free. Not sure about Lucas.

The Miiverse stage is going to be the Splatoon lobby. I've already drawn some support images in Miiverse.

Dei

Dei

Also, the eshop was fine just now.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man that Ganondorf Amiibo looks sweet.

Zappit

Zappit

Lucas and Roy are NOT clones this time around. Roy functions far better up close than Marth, with a longer UP+X, and his charge move is quite powerful. I'm actually considering maining Roy.

I need to figure out how to share Miis, because I made a Meat me that does look like him.

I haven't tried Lucas yet, but his PK fire explodes, that much I know.

They worked to actually make these characters more distinct this time around.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm probably getting Lucas at some point, but you're right. I'm glad.

You can share Miis on the customization menu.