StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm (WoL Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just finished StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty, and while I felt it started out slow, it really started to intensify down the line and left me satisfied at the conclusion. However, the ending left me curious how Heart of the Swarm will occur. I am going to speak about the ending and the information we know about Heart of the Swarm, so don't read on if you don't want any type of spoiler.

So in the end, you take the Xel'Naga Artifact to Char. Kerrigan had been trying throughout the game to get the artifacts, but always was one step behind Raynor, so she is rather happy you brought it to her doorstep.

You have to hold off while the item is charged, and after some brutal assaults, you charge the artifact and unleash it. The shockwave kills all the Zerg in the area, much like the Xel'Naga Temple from Brood War, however, it leaves Kerrigan's human tissue intact, effectively converting her back to her human self minus her "hair", which retains the Zerg like tendrils.

Tychus finally reveals why he joined with Jimmy, that Mengsk released him to join with Raynor, so that he could kill Kerrigan when the time was right. Raynor jumps in front of the shot and with his pistol shoots Tychus, killing him (I feel bad for the big lug). The last shot is Raynor carrying off Kerrigan into the distance, the two looking at eachother like a barrier was broken between them before Kerrigan once again passes out from the strain of her purification.

Now, here is what we know about Heart of the Swarm. We play as Kerrigan, and the missions are going to involve going from place to place in order to grow in power. There are rumors it may even involve RPG-style elements much like WC3, with leveling and special abilities for Kerrigan. Now, with the ending we see above, I am not sure how that is going to happen.

My best guess?

That while regaining her human form, her time among the Swarm has made her have a bond much deeper then any before her, as that was her purpose as created by the Overmind. Now with the "corruption" gone, she will join with Raynor and take over the Swarm as a much more merciful but troubled individual rather then evil queen bitch. She will reclaim the Swarm and build them to be a force to fight the coming darkness, rather then embrace it, as she was originally going to do. With her having complete control over the Swarm, she will be able to stop the hybrids from taking it over for the Dark One.

Man the next two games are going to be intense.

Do we have any idea when the next two are going to be released? I mean, is Activision/Blizzard sticking to their one major release per year cycle, or is that one major release per property? I finished the game in about a day and a half (on casual, I'm not too good at RTS games), and am going back through and going for all of the accomplishments, trying to play on harder modes, might even possibly play some multi-player games once I improve my skills; but damnit, the end of this portion of the plot arc kicks ass and I want more.

C

Chibibar

Do we have any idea when the next two are going to be released? I mean, is Activision/Blizzard sticking to their one major release per year cycle, or is that one major release per property? I finished the game in about a day and a half (on casual, I'm not too good at RTS games), and am going back through and going for all of the accomplishments, trying to play on harder modes, might even possibly play some multi-player games once I improve my skills; but damnit, the end of this portion of the plot arc kicks ass and I want more.
I dunno. I am doing one mission a day and play casual, normal and hard (and lose) I am going to be sad when I finish this and have to wait :(

R

Roxxoredizorz

They say that Heart of the Swarm will be out in 2012, because next year (hopefully) is Diablo 3. Then probably 2013 will be another WoW expansion, or even Diablo expansion, then 2014 Legacy of the Void. They say they want an 18 month gap between the release of each game.

If they release that mod they showed off at Blizzcon of a developer using the SC2 engine to "make" a playable version of SC:Ghost, that would totally rock. I can't wait for the extra maps, mods, and scenarios to become available.

If they release that mod they showed off at Blizzcon of a developer using the SC2 engine to "make" a playable version of SC:Ghost, that would totally rock. I can't wait for the extra maps, mods, and scenarios to become available.
People are already using the new map editor to make various offshoots that I have to say are pretty cool. I saw someone developing an online multiplayer FPS with full class support and weapon customization, and even someone developing a working side scroller with touch power-ups. There are even some weird remakes of other games, and just other crazy things. I mean look at some of these.

Nice job putting Nova in the game to twist the "ha ha you're never playing SC: Ghost" knife, Blizzard. Jerk-asses. D:
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Bastards.[/QUOTE]

Considering what you can actually do with the game engine, it's entirely possible they could release "Starcraft: Ghost" as a sort of downloadable singleplayer experience to help hype the first expansion. Hell... it worked for the Orc Campaign in Frozen Throne, didn't it?

Just finished the game. I thought it was great albeit it being short. They gave the game a great feel as you got to know the characters and built up your tech. However, no zerg control at ALL??? (in the end i was a zerg emulator whore, so i controlled a few at least)

Damnit, I truly dislike this "map pack" bullshit. Why do I have to wait so long to play more? I was really not feeling too optimistic when I heard this and in the end, despite it being a SOLID game, it's not a great game, simply because it's storyline is 1/3 of what it needed to be. They need to announce the 2nd part ASAP. 2012? Jesus Christ. We're gonna wait 2 years? Then the 3rd part will be what... in 4 years?

At least people can mod the shit out of this engine.

Damnit, I truly dislike this "map pack" bullshit. Why do I have to wait so long to play more? I was really not feeling too optimistic when I heard this and in the end, despite it being a SOLID game, it's not a great game, simply because it's storyline is 1/3 of what it needed to be.
I don't agree. We got just as many missions as we did in SC1, and those missions allowed us to get more into the characters of Jim Raynor and his crew, rather then the quick characterization they originally had. People like Matt Horner didn't even have any characterization at all, even though he was around since the events of SC1. We got a full storyline, but just like the end of SC1, they are going to keep us prepared for the next continuation of it. Blizzard is known to leave almost all their games with some form of cliffhanger for this reason.

R

Roxxoredizorz

Nice job putting Nova in the game to twist the "ha ha you're never playing SC: Ghost" knife, Blizzard. Jerk-asses. D:
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Bastards.[/QUOTE]

Considering what you can actually do with the game engine, it's entirely possible they could release "Starcraft: Ghost" as a sort of downloadable singleplayer experience to help hype the first expansion. Hell... it worked for the Orc Campaign in Frozen Throne, didn't it?[/QUOTE]

Actually, someone already has. It's an alpha thing, and single player but you control Nova, and can move around a map (no clipping) and shoot. Not much else, but it's a start.

I've also been playing a lot of SotIS, Storm of the Imperial Sanctum, (a DotA for Starcraft 2) and it is a lot of fun. It's still in Beta, but it works very well, and only has a few issues.

I've played a bit of tower defense here and there, and I think I'll try Nexus wars soon, too.

Damnit, I truly dislike this "map pack" bullshit. Why do I have to wait so long to play more? I was really not feeling too optimistic when I heard this and in the end, despite it being a SOLID game, it's not a great game, simply because it's storyline is 1/3 of what it needed to be.
I don't agree. We got just as many missions as we did in SC1, and those missions allowed us to get more into the characters of Jim Raynor and his crew, rather then the quick characterization they originally had. People like Matt Horner didn't even have any characterization at all, even though he was around since the events of SC1. We got a full storyline, but just like the end of SC1, they are going to keep us prepared for the next continuation of it. Blizzard is known to leave almost all their games with some form of cliffhanger for this reason.[/QUOTE]

I've found myself very disappointed with SC2. Not the gameplay, which is decent (almost identical to SC1), but just how short the game is. SC1 was limited by technology and space, SC2 was limited by wanting to suck money out of players. There's no reason that I shouldn't have a single player campaign with zerg and protoss when I can play them out of the box on multiplayer. How does that work exactly? What is the next 'expansion' pack really going to bring? The engine doesn't need to be changed or updated. They don't have to add units. They just had to write a story.

And the story..ugh. I wish they'd stop going back to the well for fall of/redemption of stories. Arthas and Kerrigan just share too much of a character arc that it seems kinda recycled.

C

Chibibar

I don't agree. We got just as many missions as we did in SC1, and those missions allowed us to get more into the characters of Jim Raynor and his crew, rather then the quick characterization they originally had. People like Matt Horner didn't even have any characterization at all, even though he was around since the events of SC1. We got a full storyline, but just like the end of SC1, they are going to keep us prepared for the next continuation of it. Blizzard is known to leave almost all their games with some form of cliffhanger for this reason.[/QUOTE]

I've found myself very disappointed with SC2. Not the gameplay, which is decent (almost identical to SC1), but just how short the game is. SC1 was limited by technology and space, SC2 was limited by wanting to suck money out of players. There's no reason that I shouldn't have a single player campaign with zerg and protoss when I can play them out of the box on multiplayer. How does that work exactly? What is the next 'expansion' pack really going to bring? The engine doesn't need to be changed or updated. They don't have to add units. They just had to write a story.

And the story..ugh. I wish they'd stop going back to the well for fall of/redemption of stories. Arthas and Kerrigan just share too much of a character arc that it seems kinda recycled.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, Bliz broke into 3 stories because if they didn't, it would have push SC2 further behind.

This is my guess
The 2nd expansion (zerg) "may" contain new unit like Blizz did with Broodwars.
the 3rd expansion (Protoss) may release more units (that would be cool)

Ending of SC2 - WoL - Adammon: Yea, the redemption can get old, but I feel this one did a pretty good job.
Raynor was going to "finish" this one way or another. In the beginning, he thought about he will be the one to pull the trigger (hopefully) but once he learn about the artifacts and the memory crystal series. It might be possible to save Kerrigan. Raynor always felt bad about leaving Kerrigan behind and responsible for it.

As for what they are going to do? I presume that Kerrigan is STILL in charge of the swarm and have control over it (The hair is still zerg-like) so I guess the last installment we will get to play Zerg and fight against the Hybrid. Heck, it would be cool to play all three and fight against the hybrid in the last battle.

edit: fix my error. 2nd is zerg while 3rd is protoss

C

Chibibar

Zerg is 3rd expansion... *homer-like* AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
I am wrong!!! from starcraft 2 site

The StarCraft II Trilogy consists of the base StarCraft II game and two subsequent expansion sets. StarCraft II is subtitled Wings of Liberty (working title) and will include a lengthy single-player campaign that focuses on the terrans and puts players in the role of Jim Raynor, one of the series' main heroes. The first expansion set, Heart of the Swarm (working title), will follow later and include a single-player campaign focusing on the zerg and Kerrigan, Queen of Blades. The second expansion set, Legacy of the Void (working title), will continue the story experience with a single-player campaign centered on the protoss.

I've found myself very disappointed with SC2. Not the gameplay, which is decent (almost identical to SC1), but just how short the game is. SC1 was limited by technology and space, SC2 was limited by wanting to suck money out of players.
Sorry, but your bias already shows in the first sentence. "They want to suck money out of us!" is a rather tired arguement people like to use a lot, regardless of the actual obvious quality of the game. They make a lot of money off us already, and they could have gotten away with much less then they did in SC2:WOL, but they didn't. I agree with Angry Joe when it comes to the gameplay, "If it ain't broke, it don't need fixing".

Maybe I am biased myself, but I don't think trying to stuff in an extra 60 missions into one game is reasonable, nor do I agree with the idea that they would cut down the decent campaign it did have just to fit as many races and characters in as possible.

There's no reason that I shouldn't have a single player campaign with zerg and protoss when I can play them out of the box on multiplayer. How does that work exactly?
There actually is a very good reason, one that Blizzard explained since they made this announcement. They don't want each race to be disjointed, and they want each game to feel like a cohesive story around one main protagonist. Think back to SC1. You go all that time getting to know Raynor, but then the Zerg Campaign starts, and while Kerrigan carries over, Raynor becomes a throw-away.

Then you move to the Protoss, and Kerrigan falls off the face of the universe, while Raynor comes in for the last mission or two just to say "hey guys don't forget about me while you play with Zeratul and Tassadar!" They want each game to be a cohesive storyline through the eyes of one main character, and after experiencing it, I agree it was the better choice.

What is the next 'expansion' pack really going to bring? The engine doesn't need to be changed or updated. They don't have to add units. They just had to write a story.
You are really arguing what an "expansion" is really going to bring? What did Brood War bring to SC1? What did Lord of Destruction bring to D2? What did The Frozen Throne bring to WC3? A lot, including new units/classes, tilesets, game options, etc... Since the game uses rather detailed character models that are fully animated and usable in the Galaxy Editor, that means more of those will be needed for all the interactive cutscenes.

Really, you can argue the quality of making SC1 and improving it rather then innovating with something new, but I would never call the game small or complain about the fact they want the storyline of each game to be more cohesive, like a trilogy, then forcing us to play Zerg when they are working counter the goals of the main protagonist.

And the story..ugh. I wish they'd stop going back to the well for fall of/redemption of stories. Arthas and Kerrigan just share too much of a character arc that it seems kinda recycled.
This I can mostly agree, though I am happy Raynor finally "won" for once.

Sorry, but your bias already shows in the first sentence.
Sorry but YOUR bias already shows in the first sentence. Need I go into more detail?

Look, I won't change my opinion and he's entitled to his. There was NO need for 3 parts to this game. They could have had ONE expansion... TWO? I think it's a hard sell and makes me feel like I'm ordering from a restaurant with side orders being the knife and fork to eat my GOD DAMNED 70$ steak!

Sorry but YOUR bias already shows in the first sentence.
As I already pointed out in the post, but nice try.

Look, I won't change my opinion and he's entitled to his. There was NO need for 3 parts to this game. They could have had ONE expansion... TWO? I think it's a hard sell and makes me feel like I'm ordering from a restaurant with side orders being the knife and fork to eat my GOD DAMNED 70$ steak!
You have a right to your opinion, but should we have asked Peter Jackson to cut the crap and make Lord of the Rings into a single movie? I mean, since there was no need for three parts after all.

Trust me though, if they made it one expansion, you are not suddenly going to get more content, you would be getting less. Maybe I am fine with getting more out of a series I enjoy rather then less, as long as those extras carry a decent quality. If all the games are WoL quality, I will be happy. You may not be, but then, you have the choice simply not to buy them.

I WOULD like to point out that Star Craft DID have two more expansions after Brood War... they weren't made by Blizzard, but they WERE authorized to make them.

I WOULD like to point out that Star Craft DID have two more expansions after Brood War... they weren't made by Blizzard, but they WERE authorized to make them.
I played those, they were more independent story boosters and I don't even think had voice acting, they were not real expansions. An expansion to me is a game that modifies the base game, rather then something anyone can make with the old map editor. Though I guess my term needs to be altered considering how powerful the new galaxy editor is.

Ah, so you like the game enough to play it. That says enough.
LOL. Why are you taking this so personal?

Look, I'm simply not going to buy the game thrice to play it completely as I should be able to today. I'll buy it when they provide the full game and pay full price. I think that's fair. Until then I'll enjoy the free copy I downloaded along with a functional serial key I managed to get my hands on. I don't like the semi-forced semi-subscription system they tried to come up with.

LOL. Why are you taking this so personal?
Who says I was taking it personal? :) I can care less if you pirate it, not going to lose myself any sleep or Blizzard any money. I just find it funny for how much you complained and liked to jump on me about my counterpoints, you end up playing it anyways.

Look, I'm simply not going to buy the game thrice to play it completely as I should be able to today. I'll buy it when they provide the full game and pay full price. I think that's fair. Until then I'll enjoy the free copy I downloaded along with a functional serial key I managed to get my hands on. I don't like the semi-forced semi-subscription system they tried to come up with.
I think where we have an issue is the term "complete". I will let Angry Joe explain the rest for me though, as I don't really feel the need to argue what you or I consider "complete". I got what I paid for, and from what I have seen most others did as well. But you enjoy that pirated game. ;)

Sorry, but your bias already shows in the first sentence.
Sorry but YOUR bias already shows in the first sentence. Need I go into more detail?

$180 steak if the expansions are full price.

For a game that more thought was put into multiplayer than single player for. I mean Facebook integration? Really

And once the expansions come out, will they all be cross compatible with each other? Probably not. Which means to continue playing online you'll have to upgrade. Or maybe we should call it a 'subscription' instead.

But we got new graphics! Wow! No new play mechanics or even particularly dynamic missions written. No, all the cool work is being done by the community (for free).

Ah well, it was cheaper than a hooker - and lasted marginally longer n

And once the expansions come out, will they all be cross compatible with each other? Probably not. Which means to continue playing online you'll have to upgrade. Or maybe we should call it a 'subscription' instead.
You do realize that Blizzard games have not been cross compatible since Battle.net first came into existence, right? And that such never stopped old versions of the game from being played? SC2, SC2:BW, D2, D2:LOD, WC3:RoC and WC3:TFT all of them have different battle.net sets as they were released, and all of them have a respectable number of players logged on all the time that prefer the mechanics of those originals over the expansions. If "new units, storylines, tilesets, and other extras are not your cup of tea, then just play online with WoL, it won't vanish and you will still have people to play with.

If you are going to argue, should at least know what you are speaking about.

But we got new graphics! Wow! No new play mechanics or even particularly dynamic missions written. No, all the cool work is being done by the community (for free).
Ah, you should let us use your crystal ball, since you can see the future and all. :p There are some things I have been wanting to find out.

C

Chibibar

fromt Starcraft2.com

If I buy StarCraft II but don't buy any of the expansion sets, will I still be able to play online?Yes. This will work similarly to Warcraft III and the original StarCraft, which maintained separate online gaming lobbies and ladders for expansion set players and players with the base Warcraft III or StarCraft.
So I presume Battle.net will have rooms with
SC2, SC2+exp1, SC2+exp2, SC2+exp1+exp2

C

Chibibar

Pay $40 to continue playing with your friends!
Or convince them not to buy the expansions, good luck with that one though. ;)[/QUOTE]

I personally LOVE the game. I WILL buy the expansion. That is what I will do, my friends? some will buy them cause they love the game and will support Blizzard, and some won't since they just want to play vanilla multiplayer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.