Export thread

Star Trek Discovery

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

So, I've actually been interested in seeing this series... until I watched this trailer. Technology seems to be off for the timeline, none of the characters grabbed my attention, the the feel was "Oh, if we put Star Trek on it, they will pay to watch." One of the few times that a trailer has taken my interest away from a project.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I've been at least curious to see how this might turn out. And the trailer...just ain't doing it for me. It comes across very bland, honestly. Really stilted acting, too. Which, for Star Trek, is saying something. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

It might be Abrams Trek, but it sure doesn't look like Roddenberry Trek.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm at least curious. I'm not 100% sold, but Michelle Yeoh as Captain will get me to watch at least a few episodes.

phil

phil

I didn't realize it was going to be on netflix. I thought it was going to be on the CBS thing or whatever.

I'm disappointed that we're still not moving forward in the timeline but man that did look pretty dope. Klingons look kinda weird but I guess since this is going for a more Abrams vibe anyway they might as well use the same look as Into Darkness.

I'm for sure willing to give it a shot!

Kovac

Kovac

Aside from leaning more on the Star Trek movie reboot I was also reminded of the difference between Stargate SG-1 Vs Stargate Universe.

And unfortunately i'm more of a fan of the TNG/DS9/VOY universe than I have been of the reboot.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Could it be that The Orville may turn out more Trek than Trek? Even with Seth McFarlane involved, I'm curious enough to give that one a look.

chris

chris

Star Trek: Mass Effect

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Could it be that The Orville may turn out more Trek than Trek? Even with Seth McFarlane involved, I'm curious enough to give that one a look.
That is a somewhat scary thought, but the commercial/trailer for that made me interested, unlike this series trailer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dangit, blocked already.

evilmike

evilmike

Dangit, blocked already.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Neat, thanks.

Yeah, it doesn't really feel Star Trek, but it does look like something I'll give a shot.

Frank

Frank

This takes place in the regular universe, but the Klingons look like JJ Klingons, but the Klingons in the regular universe had to be explained to look like humans by Enterprise, because they couldn't just drop the explanation at TOS had no budget, but they're just gonna go with JJ universe looking Klingons, but, but, but.

Anyways, kidding aside, looks kinda neat and I love Trek too much to not watch it.

@Li3n

@Li3n

This takes place in the regular universe, but the Klingons look like JJ Klingons, but the Klingons in the regular universe had to be explained to look like humans by Enterprise, because they couldn't just drop the explanation at TOS had no budget, but they're just gonna go with JJ universe looking Klingons, but, but, but.
Well it never made any sense that time travelling to when Kirk's dad was young would change what happened during Archer's time.

So i for one will just pretend the klingons from Into Darkness where just the result of an unhealthy obsession with plastic surgery by virus affected klingons...

Eriol

Eriol

Well it never made any sense that time travelling to when Kirk's dad was young would change what happened during Archer's time.

So i for one will just pretend the klingons from Into Darkness where just the result of an unhealthy obsession with plastic surgery by virus affected klingons...
This video explains some of the visual differences, and why they MUST exist:

I have it starting in the relevant section. It heavily details ownership, who owns what, and how that has a style influence on the series BY LAW (well, by contract law).

(If the embed doesn't work right, start at 9m28s)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I will watch this with salty snacks and orange pop and make numerous Star Trek noises in conjunction with the TV. And Majel better be the computer or there will be he'll to pay. And I don't mean Minnesota!

Eriol

Eriol

And Majel better be the computer or there will be he'll to pay. And I don't mean Minnesota!
You know that she's been dead for almost 9 years, right?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You know that she's been dead for almost 9 years, right?
And before she died she recorded an entire library of words and phrases so her voice can continue as the computer.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I have it starting in the relevant section. It heavily details ownership, who owns what, and how that has a style influence on the series BY LAW (well, by contract law).
Oh, so it's just more corporate fuckery... awesome.

Frank

Frank

This video explains some of the visual differences, and why they MUST exist:

(If the embed doesn't work right, start at 9m28s)
Oh my God, that entire video is one lengthy, annoyed groan for me.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck corporations.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGH

No wonder Brian Fuller bailed.

Frank

Frank

I liked it.

Definitely better than the recent movies.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm at least curious. I'm not 100% sold, but Michelle Yeoh as Captain will get me to watch at least a few episodes.
Heh heh heh heh heh

I was pumped for this show, but feels like a let down. The antagonist was not interesting and I kept wondering about the crew outside of the Captain 1st and 2nd officers. And physics was just thrown out the window.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Not pleased, not paying to watch the second episode. You have a new Trek series and you don't even meet the Ship or the series Captain? That's a big miss.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I have a buddy who's been working as security/gofer on this. He keeps teasing me with things like "Johnathan Frakes is a totally awesome dude," or "party on the bridge tonight!"

I hate him just a little bit.

@Li3n

@Li3n

The antagonist was not interesting

I don't know, there was something there, but it got drowned out by all the unnatural slow grunting noises he was trying to pass off as klingon. And it was made worse by some of the holograms speaking it more naturally.

Also, it felt like it was actually doing the opposite of ST and making the Federation seem too naive and shit:

The whole "lets talk now that enough of us are dead" thing was so off putting and out of character, even in Picard's time. And it was also pointless, they could have rammed them with an invisible ship without it, that's kind of how invisibility works as a weapon.

mikerc

mikerc

Hmm, the Klingon changes feels like a redesign for the sake of a redesign (admittedly not for the first time). The uniforms look nice but don't follow any design thematic we've seen Starfleet use before. In most ways it looks more like JJ Trek than Prime Trek, but then you get the occasional glimpses of TOS era aesthetics (the shape of the captain's chair, the phasers, the communicators). I'm not convinced by the MC but she doesn't offend me either, beyond the needless connection to Sarek which has the uncomfortable feeling of a fanfic authors trying to make her OC stand in super important.

Essentially the first 2 episodes feel sorta like Trek but not really Trek. Which is a description sometimes levelled at DS9 - and that was the best Trek. So I'm not convinced - yet - but you have my attention. Let's see where you go from here.

(Of course it helps that I'm in the UK, so I get it on Netflix & don't need to buy a new subscription just for one show. I don't think it's got that much of my attention.)

Frank

Frank

Yeah, that's the single thing that bothers me most. The Sarek's adopted daughter thing is trrrrrble.

mikerc

mikerc

One other thing that's just occurred to me. If the rest of the season is of similar quality to the first 2 episodes then it will be far from the best season of Trek, but it will be the best *first* season of a Star Trek show since TOS. TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT all had pretty bad first seasons. Here's hoping that's one way that Discovery is going to be un-Trek-like.

Frank

Frank

I liked the first season of DS9. It gets a bad rap.

Terrik

Terrik

Duet in Season 1 is an excellent episode.

Jay

Jay

This is my hot take : "Fuck you for making this series be behind a paywall. Fuck you even more in making a TIERED paywall to have less commercials."

I'm not willing to pay extra month for one show, it's dumb. They should have sold the series to Amazon and be on Prime.

I'll torrent the first 2 episodes and see how I feel about it, reviews are pretty good but I won't be paying for this corporation bullshit.

Frank

Frank

Torrenting the series!

I'm aghast that anyone would ever..

/shuts off Qb and closes IPT tab

...think of doing such a reprehensible and amoral thing!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's not bad, but it was a shaky start compared to the rest of the series. Certainly compared to everything after Season 3.

Frank

Frank

Also, Jay, as far as I know, it's just playing on Space in Canada like any other show. No CBS streaming here.

Covar

Covar

So as much as I would love for a Star Wars movie that wasn't so tied to the original trilogy and does something different with the setting, it turns out that's exactly the opposite of my feelings for Star Trek.

I'm not sure I'll be checking this out. I signed up for the 1 week trial, but nothing really sold me on staying on. $1.50 an episode ($2.50 without commercials) is not the big deal people make it out to be.

Frank

Frank

Oh shit, the other silliest line in the whole thing that made me laugh out loud was the Doug Jones alien saying his world has no food chain and that his species was purely prey.

What the fuck do you eat Doug? Even eating plants makes you part of a food chain.

Covar

Covar

Oh shit, the other silliest line in the whole thing that made me laugh out loud was the Doug Jones alien saying his world has no food chain and that his species was purely prey.

What the fuck do you eat Doug? Even eating plants makes you part of a food chain.
He's a sentient Cow! :confused: What's sad is I found him to probably the most interesting character. Of the 2 we were given. :thumbsdown:

Frank

Frank

He's a sentient Cow! :confused: What's sad is I found him to probably the most interesting character. Of the 2 we were given. :thumbsdown:
I really liked the character, just that aspect was really silly.

At least they mentioned that Tellurites and Andorians exist. I mean, for being founding federation members, they sure don't show up much in any series (except for Enterprise).

Terrik

Terrik

So, I just finished the two episodes, and despite all the doom and gloom I heard surrounding the series before watching it, I actually didn't think it was that bad.

I thought the special effects were top notch, and I liked hearing the retro sound effects on the bridge. I liked other little details too--like actually seeing the emergency forcefields holding the ship together on the exterior shots. I don't hate the klingons, and they're better than what I feared, but yes, I think they were a redesign for the sake of redesign.

Honestly, this will always be "klingon" to me:

I also didn't quite understand why they had to resign the ships either. I appreciate the fact some of the basic design was retained, but it also seemed unnecessary. I suppose it gave them a more "alien" design, and it could be argued that sometimes, things in Trek aren't alien enough. I'm somewhat neutral on it. I liked at least some of the lore was retained.

Anyhow, I thought it was alright, and I'll probably watch additional episodes through, uh, various means.

Frank

Frank

That's not a Klingon. THIS IS A KLINGON!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRF!

Terrik

Terrik

Covar

Covar

I still wish they had set it post Voyager. There's no reason in the first two episodes why they couldn't have. Heck it would have made their holograms work better in continuity.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder how the Federation will give up the serious suits and go business casual when the Enterprise launches.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I wonder how the Federation will give up the serious suits and go business casual when the Enterprise launches.
They just need that one captain who gets sick of not knowing his crew:

"I don't know if any of you are doing what you're supposed to be doing! That's it; command and navigation, you're wearing gold now! Blue shirts are going on the science and medical staff! And the red shirts....well, it sucks to be you guys!"

Jay

Jay

Also, Jay, as far as I know, it's just playing on Space in Canada like any other show. No CBS streaming here.
Thanks for the info.[DOUBLEPOST=1506563861,1506563735][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not really.

PatrThom

PatrThom

He has the face of a man who has unexpectedly sat on an upright popsicle.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

Maybe his species actually subsists on sunlight and oxygen...

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Maybe his species actually subsists on sunlight and oxygen...
Then his species, as prey, is at the bottom of the food chain.

Frank

Frank

So, I read something that might just be wishful thinking, but you know what, I hope it's right. A guy said that you don't start new drivers in a race car. If they started the new show in high octane Star Trek mode, IE, cerebral and slow, you'd get no one who watched the movies to stick around to watch the show. But if you start them out with drama and action and shit, they might stick around to get into the more Star Trek aspects of it when it, HOPEFULLY, does some of that.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Then his species, as prey, is at the bottom of the food chain.
But what if everything else on his planet eats nothing but his species? Then it's not a chain... well, maybe a key chain, i guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1506698165,1506698077][/DOUBLEPOST]
So, I read something that might just be wishful thinking, but you know what, I hope it's right. A guy said that you don't start new drivers in a race car. If they started the new show in high octane Star Trek mode, IE, cerebral and slow, you'd get no one who watched the movies to stick around to watch the show. But if you start them out with drama and action and shit, they might stick around to get into the more Star Trek aspects of it when it, HOPEFULLY, does some of that.
Let hope so... but they could have at least given Klingons some damn Klingon hair...

Frank

Frank

Like I said, wishful thinking probably. But we can hope.

Kovac

Kovac

Visually it was very impressive but I found the first two episodes to be a little dull.

I almost nodded off a few times.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Visually it was very impressive but I found the first two episodes to be a little dull.

I almost nodded off a few times.
I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. The 3rd episode seemed somewhat boring. But I know they are still story building so I will give it some more time. That and I love trek.

fade

fade

I have to agree with Kovac. The pacing was glacial. And I don't usually mind slow pacing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I started rewatching DS9 this week. Good stuff.

Timmus

Timmus

I wasn't totally on board with the pilot but I'm kind of digging it after episode three slower and the world they are building.

Kovac

Kovac

I'm certainly onboard with the show for the rest of the show.

TNG had a HORRIBLE first episode (And entire first season) and yet it still managed to get good.

And with Enterprise it took until season 3 before I started enjoying it.

Frank

Frank

I liked episode 3 a lot.

My buddy called it The Starship of Dr. Moreau at the end of the episode.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hah, I had forgotten that first season Sisko had a stick jammed up his ass the size of Babylon 5.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hah, I had forgotten that first season Sisko had a stick jammed up his ass the size of Babylon 5.
Aka "The Sisko with hair."

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Season one and two Sisko were good. His encounter with Q was the best one.

"Picard never hit me."

"I'm not Picard."

Celt Z

Celt Z

Season one and two Sisko were good. His encounter with Q was the best one.

"Picard never hit me."

"I'm not Picard."
That's still one of my favorite lines from the whole damn show.

mikerc

mikerc

I started rewatching DS9 this week. Good stuff.
Have you spotted Spock in the opening credits?

Gryfter

Gryfter

So I watched the first episode when it aired on CBS and thought it wasn't too bad, didn't agree with all their choices but I was willing to give it a go. Went to watch it the next week and..... WTF it's not on TV?!?!?!? You have to sign up to a new effing streaming service to watch it.

*shrug* Guess I won't be watching it after all.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Welcome to the future of television!

--Patrick

Kovac

Kovac

One of the rare times when being outside of the US pays off when it comes to consuming media.

PatrThom

PatrThom

One of the folks here* couldn't stand the wait (nor the alternatives) and so paid for CBS just for this.
We sat down to watch it tonight.
It buffered for 12 minutes straight.
We didn't watch it.

--Patrick
*Not me.

Frank

Frank

Trekspertise is a great Youtube channel and his episode reviews are fucking wonderful. Guy has some fantastic insights.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I've been watching it and it gets better after the first two episodes. They had next to no character development in them, as most of the characters on screen don't appear after these episodes.

Last episode had two firsts; first openly gay couple, which was good in that it came off as a complete after thought and helped explain some previous social interactions nicely.

Second first? two back to back f-bombs. And I thought heh, Star Fleet are sailors after all.

Frank

Frank

I can eat my words about the ships design. I hated it when the first trailer showed it off, but now I really dig it.

The spinning saucer is kinda silly, but whatever.

I want a model of it.

WHICH IS CURRENTLY BEING PRODUCED by Eaglemoss.

First two are Shenzhou and Discovery.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Discovery, to me, looks like a stylized ship shape that I expect more to show up as something like a lapel pin or insignia.

--Patrick

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

How long before kirk does this take place?

PatrThom

PatrThom

How long before kirk does this take place?
About 10 years before Kirk's ascendancy.
From IMDb:
discodiscotrek.png

--Patrick

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Discovery, to me, looks like a stylized ship shape that I expect more to show up as something like a lapel pin or insignia.

--Patrick
It looks more Klingon than Federation to me. Well, the back end, anyway.

Frank

Frank

God damn it. I can't get those Eaglemoss models in Canada. They always have very region specific shipping and none to Canada.

Fuck beans. I want a Discovery model for my office.

Frank

Frank

It looks more Klingon than Federation to me. Well, the back end, anyway.
Weird triangular engineering hull designs existed as far back as Next Generation.

Model of which could be seen in the surplus junkyard during Next Generation.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hehe heh

So you know how ships and military bases have gym clothes?

Discovery has them too...

Shortened to .... DISCO!

Timmus

Timmus

Hehe heh

So you know how ships and military bases have gym clothes?

Discovery has them too...

Shortened to .... DISCO!
Loved those shirts. I want one.

Do you guys think there's anything more sinister going on with the engineer guy who plugged himself into the mycelium drive other than a new found affinity for tie die, bead curtains and patchouli oil?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Loved those shirts. I want one.

Do you guys think there's anything more sinister going on with the engineer guy who plugged himself into the mycelium drive other than a new found affinity for tie die, bead curtains and patchouli oil?
Well I think the mirror thing from the previous episode pretty much established that. This episode was to just lull us into a false sense of security that the change is sort of benign.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Do you guys think there's anything more sinister going on with the engineer guy who plugged himself into the mycelium drive other than a new found affinity for tie die [sic], bead curtains and patchouli oil?
I suggest we keep an eye on his husband for answers.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Oh Lorca, dat's cooooooooooooooooooooooooooold.

PS Discovery: Enough of the across the galaxy mind melds.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Please tell me you're kidding. Please.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, they had to up the ante after that one episode of Enterprise (you know, the EARLIEST series in the canon's chronology, where Transporters are new and only recently deemed safe enough for humans) figured out how to extend the Transporter's range to INTERSTELLAR DISTANCES.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Please tell me you're kidding. Please.
It's not really a mind meld, spoilers:
apparently, he gave her part of his soul because she was dead.

Yeah, that's a thing now.

Terrik

Terrik

It's not really a mind meld, spoilers:
apparently, he gave her part of his soul because she was dead.

Yeah, that's a thing now.
Well, if I remember correctly, it's been a thing. Something about all this seemed really familiar and so I looked it up, and I was right. From the Wiki for Star Trek III: The Search for Spock:
"Spock's father, Sarek (Mark Lenard), confronts Kirk about his son's death. The pair learn that before he died, Spock transferred his katra, or living spirit, to McCoy. Spock's katra and body are needed to lay him to rest on his homeworld, Vulcan, and without help, McCoy will die from carrying the katra. Disobeying orders, Kirk and his officers spring McCoy from detention, disable the USS Excelsior, and steal the Enterprise from Spacedock to return to the Genesis planet to retrieve Spock's body"

So, shit like this has already been established in previous canon. It's not all that far-fetched to me.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Well, if I remember correctly, it's been a thing. Something about all this seemed really familiar and so I looked it up, and I was right. From the Wiki for Star Trek III: The Search for Spock:
"Spock's father, Sarek (Mark Lenard), confronts Kirk about his son's death. The pair learn that before he died, Spock transferred his katra, or living spirit, to McCoy. Spock's katra and body are needed to lay him to rest on his homeworld, Vulcan, and without help, McCoy will die from carrying the katra. Disobeying orders, Kirk and his officers spring McCoy from detention, disable the USS Excelsior, and steal the Enterprise from Spacedock to return to the Genesis planet to retrieve Spock's body"

So, shit like this has already been established in previous canon. It's not all that far-fetched to me.
That's actually returning Spock to Spock's body, not giving part of McCoy's soul to Spock because...dead. Seems more Harry Potter and horocrux's from the description given.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

God damn it. I can't get those Eaglemoss models in Canada. They always have very region specific shipping and none to Canada.

Fuck beans. I want a Discovery model for my office.
Surely one of the Americans here would forward the package to you, if the extra cost was acceptable to you.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Sure, but that was the opposite.
In this case, Sarek gave her part of his soul to resurrect her, he didn't just hide his mind in hers or something. And it's keeping her alive instead of killing her.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Normally I hate the style of this week's episode, but the villain made it great fun.

But the ending while putting a smile on your face makes no sense.

Frank

Frank

Normally I hate the style of this week's episode, but the villain made it great fun.

None, but it was still the Star Trekiest episode they've done.

Guys, he committed murder countless times and EVEN if you don't count it thanks to time shenanigans, he still attempted to hijack a Federation vessel.

Stammets continues to be my favourite character.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

More so the fact that he knows everything about the ship.

Timmus

Timmus

None, but it was still the Star Trekiest episode they've done.

Guys, he committed murder countless times and EVEN if you don't count it thanks to time shenanigans, he still attempted to hijack a Federation vessel.

Stammets continues to be my favourite character.

Good call back to TOS episode where we last saw Mudd's wife. Makes that episode funnier because Stella seems kinda nice here.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Good call back to TOS episode where we last saw Mudd's wife. Makes that episode funnier because Stella seems kinda nice here.
Now I’m curious. And a voice is yelling “HARCOURT FENTON MUDD!!” in my head.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah... i mean that's clearly cruel and unusual punishment, that goes against the values of the Federation.

Frank

Frank

I've read some complaining about the music used during the party on Discovery. The way I see it, they could have gone with some made up future music people might listen to that would undoubtedly sound terrible or silly or they could've gone with something contemporary like they did (sort of) as a stand-in pop music.

Kind of like the swearing in Deadwood. It's the not the kind of abrasive swearing you would have actually heard of at the time, but its modern counterpart used to get across the idea that the language the people used is a mite crasser than the viewers are used to.

PatrThom

PatrThom

they could've gone with something contemporary like they did (sort of) as a stand-in pop music.
Hey, it worked for The Matrix, right?
It's even more complicated when you remember that stuff/music taking place after this series was created in a time before now, so if you want to try and rationalize things, I guess that means that sometime in the mid-2200's, popular music tastes switched from 21st-Century retro to 20th-Century retro.

--Patrick

Timmus

Timmus

Hey, it worked for The Matrix, right?
It's even more complicated when you remember that stuff/music taking place after this series was created in a time before now, so if you want to try and rationalize things, I guess that means that sometime in the mid-2200's, popular music tastes switched from 21st-Century retro to 20th-Century retro.

--Patrick
or no matter the era Starfleet is full of elitist snobs who only ever play classical at their parties.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Boo Boo!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

In depth review of the mid season opener;

Boo.

Boo!

BOO!

Frank

Frank

In depth review of the mid season opener;

Boo.

Boo!

BOO!
If you're talking about the doctor, YES!

If you're talking about Captain Tilly, boo to you!

Terrik

Terrik

Yeah overall I thought it was a great episode.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Boo. = Klingon programming arc

Boo! = death of a great character

BOO! = what's the point of the alternate dimension if you don't have evil beards and scantily clad women?!

but yeah Captain Killy is cool.

And in the immortal words of our fallen comrade @GasBandit, "GET MORE NAKEDER! "

Frank

Frank

Boo! = death of a great character

BOO! = what's the point of the alternate dimension if you don't have evil beards and scantily clad women?!

but yeah Captain Killy is cool.

And in the immortal words of our fallen comrade @GasBandit, "GET MORE NAKEDER! "
Did you see the preview for the next episode? (in regards to BOO!)

Untitled.jpg

@Li3n

@Li3n

Did you see the preview for the next episode? (in regards to BOO!)

Everyone keeps taking about the evil beard... but the one that actually had it was the only guy that wasn't a complete murderous asshat.[DOUBLEPOST=1515539676,1515539570][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just to make sure... you do realise that the visions he's having imply he's actually the albino klingon.

Frank

Frank

Everyone keeps taking about the evil beard... but the one that actually had it was the only guy that wasn't a complete murderous asshat.[DOUBLEPOST=1515539676,1515539570][/DOUBLEPOST]

Just to make sure... you do realise that the visions he's having imply he's actually the albino klingon.
Exactly. Sarek will probably continue the tradition of not evil evil counterparts.

@Li3n

@Li3n

and scantily clad women?!

I'm guessing Empress Sato had something to do with the new dress code.

And that makes me wonder, how good is life extension in the mirror universe? Now that would be one hell of a call back.

Terrik

Terrik

I'm 99.5% sure that the Empror(ess) will be Georgiou. They practically set it up with her feelings seeing long-dead past crewmates, and having the Emperor send her personally to find Lorca.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

And why does cultural change only flow into the evil universe?

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm 99.5% sure that the Empror(ess) will be Georgiou. They practically set it up with her feelings seeing long-dead past crewmates, and having the Emperor send her personally to find Lorca.
Oh yeah, that's pretty good. But is the actress available even?

And why does cultural change only flow into the evil universe?
Well, since our heroes are pretty much near perfect as humans can get, there's not much to convince them to revert back to all the stuff humanity has overcome in it's history.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Last night was pretty good.

But nitpick. If this is the alternate universe where Emperor Hoshi had a ship hundreds of years from the future, shouldn't the current model ships be more advanced?

@Li3n

@Li3n

But nitpick. If this is the alternate universe where Emperor Hoshi had a ship hundreds of years from the future, shouldn't the current model ships be more advanced?
Well, they didn't have it in Kirk's time, so that's more consistent with the original episode.

Of course, considering that they couldn't detect what was bombing the planet, how competitive and murerous terrans are, and how having a secret tech to give you an edge was also a thing originally, it makes sense that only the Emperor would keep the more advanced tech for themselves, as insurance.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Last night was pretty good.

I know that in the Star Trek Online timeline, this ship didn't get studied and replicated until post-2409. Said tech was one of the reasons for the Terran Empire to be an actual threat when it invaded alongside the other Temporal terrorists.

It could just be they don't have access to it right now or what @@Li3n said.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I know that in the Star Trek Online timeline, this ship didn't get studied and replicated until post-2409. Said tech was one of the reasons for the Terran Empire to be an actual threat when it invaded alongside the other Temporal terrorists.
Wait, what? How would it help them to have a Kirk-time vessel's tech in a post-Picard time-frame?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wait, what? How would it help them to have a Kirk-time vessel's tech in a post-Picard time-frame?
Time bullshit, I assure. Again, it's the Temporal War... I couldn't even begin to explain why it matters and it really doesn't in the long run, because the Temporal War arc is over for the time being thanks to the flare up of war with the Tzenkethi.

All I know is that it has more than Kirk era tech onboard when the Terrans got it.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Time bullshit, I assure. Again, it's the Temporal War... I couldn't even begin to explain why it matters and it really doesn't in the long run, because the Temporal War arc is over for the time being thanks to the flare up of war with the Tzenkethi.

All I know is that it has more than Kirk era tech onboard when the Terrans got it.
Having looked it up a bit, are you sure you're not thinking of the DS9 Defiant: https://sto.gamepedia.com/I.S.S._Defiant

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Having looked it up a bit, are you sure you're not thinking of the DS9 Defiant: https://sto.gamepedia.com/I.S.S._Defiant
Nope, as that article clearly states that it's not part of the current story of STO. They did a massive reworking of the story and missions a few years back and a shit ton of boring content was just cut and made uncanon in the process. The current Terran Invasion is being lead by Admiral Lita (yes, THAT Lita but the Mirror version) on the I.S.S. Enterprise, who basically went rogue after the final battle of the Temporal War arc with forces loyal to her.

Alright, I went back and read the Lita reports from the Terran Task Force stuff in STO... apparently Hoshi DID use the tech from the Kirk era ship to keep the throne. The stuff Lita got was from the Nakuul and other temporal allies, explicitly to fight the Temporal Alliance. Then Lita did a bunch of other stuff and now players have to deal with it in the Badlands.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I was asking if you're not confusing it with the fact that in DS9 the Terran Empire was gone, and only could go back to existing after they defeated Regent Worf by using the stolen Defiant plans from the regular universe. And since that's stuff from teh shows (as is mirror Emperor Hoshi, which even got confirmed by Discovery), the game can't make it non-canon etc.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I was asking if you're not confusing it with the fact that in DS9 the Terran Empire was gone, and only could go back to existing after they defeated Regent Worf by using the stolen Defiant plans from the regular universe. And since that's stuff from teh shows (as is mirror Emperor Hoshi, which even got confirmed by Discovery), the game can't make it non-canon etc.
Ahh... then yeah. The Terran Empire reestablished itself from Terok Nor using the I.S.S. Defiant technology, occupying Bajor and more. The Klingons are ether allies or the Terrans are using their seized equipment, it's not clear which. It's implied that Smiley O'Brien's son James is the current Emperor as of 2409.

Frank

Frank

Well, the obvious happened. I know people calling it a twist, but I mean, they've been laying that card on the table nearly since the beginning of the show. I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

I want a model of the Emperor's Palace.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, the obvious happened. I know people calling it a twist, but I mean, they've been laying that card on the table nearly since the beginning of the show. I'm looking forward to how this plays out.
Seriously, you trying to tell me you saw this exact thing coming?

Especially since this was advertised as a more grim dark Star Trek, him being more ruthless then the regular federation citizen wasn't exactly unexpected, and of course there was always the possibility of a fall... but this reveal wasn't a fall, since he was always worse then all the stuff he did before would imply.

Frank

Frank

Seriously, you trying to tell me you saw this exact thing coming?

Especially since this was advertised as a more grim dark Star Trek, him being more ruthless then the regular federation citizen wasn't exactly unexpected, and of course there was always the possibility of a fall... but this reveal wasn't a fall, since he was always worse then all the stuff he did before would imply.
The Admiral said she didn't even recognize who he was anymore. He knew exactly how to get to the parallel universe. He was acting like a mirror universe character the whole time, being nasty and ruthless in a way we've really never seen, gritty Star Trek or not. I didn't really feel like Lorca being the mirror Lorca was a shock.

@Li3n

@Li3n

The Admiral said she didn't even recognize who he was anymore. He knew exactly how to get to the parallel universe. He was acting like a mirror universe character the whole time, being nasty and ruthless in a way we've really never seen, gritty Star Trek or not. I didn't really feel like Lorca being the mirror Lorca was a shock.
Yeah, it was certainly well foreshadowed, but that's not the same as it being expected.

I mean c'mon, who expected a Mirror Universe episode so early, let alone it being all a major arc from the get go. It's one of those great reveals that make you go "of course, makes perfect sense", while not actually seeing it coming.

Also, it just dawned on me that, with his access, he might know about the Klingon War and how it ended, based on the data they retrieved from the Defiant, which only disappearance after, so there's a lot of room for them to take the story in... Hell, even the Emperor knowing stuff would work.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

He shaved his beard!

Frank

Frank

So, I do have a few gripes about the mirror stuff, I luuuuuuuuuuurve evil Michelle Yeoh.

Terrik

Terrik

Yeah, after 14 episodes, I actually really like this series.

Frank

Frank

Totally not ashamed to say this is probably the best first season of any Star Trek show.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Totally not ashamed to say this is probably the best first season of any Star Trek show.
That's... not a particularly high bar, though, is it? :p

Kovac

Kovac

It's a bit sad that they haven't yet had any episodes of "Code of Honor" calibre.

Hopefully they get to that point in season 2

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's a bit sad that they haven't yet had any episodes of "Code of Honor" calibre.
Hopefully they get to that point in season 2
I'm looking for something on the order of "Starship Mine." It brought the funnehs AND the drama.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

So, my main gripe is the spore drive and the spore network and how forcey it is. Stammets even has a use the force moment with force ghost doctor.

I'm pretty over the spore drive.

Also, that we never got to meet MU Captain Killy. I really wanted to meet Captain Killy.

Kovac

Kovac

I have been wondering at what point the spore network would be removed as a mode of transportation.

At first I thought it was going to be destroyed in some fashion, but they integrated it so firmly into the functioning of the universe that it seems to destroy the network would be to end all things.
So I guess whatever they do will leave it inaccessible but intact.

Timmus

Timmus

I have been wondering at what point the spore network would be removed as a mode of transportation.

At first I thought it was going to be destroyed in some fashion, but they integrated it so firmly into the functioning of the universe that it seems to destroy the network would be to end all things.
I think it will end up being sentient and it will make itself inaccessible somehow.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think it will end up being sentient and it will make itself inaccessible somehow.
Wouldn't be the first time.
Maybe the prophets were actually mushroom prophets.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I am almost certain they've kept the concept around so they can get cameos from other series or have some interaction with the Kelvin timeline.

Frank

Frank

I hate 80% of this season.

That bullshit attempted emotional manipulation with Saru where they spent 50% of an episode with a FUN and INTERESTING Star Trekky idea in LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG boring conversations between Saru and Burnam about death and they follow it up by making death even more meaningless in the next fucking episode by magically resurrecting Culber? JESUS CHRIST. Take a fucking breath between this bullshit.

I hate you Alex Kurtzman and I'm putting the blame for this shittiness square on your talentless fucking shoulders. HOW DO THESE FUCKING GUYS KEEP FAILING UPWARDS SO HARD?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I liked section 31 until they made everyone and their police dog cuddles know about it.

Frank

Frank

I liked section 31 until they made everyone and their police dog cuddles know about it.
Exactly, the fuck?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I hated the idea of Section 31 in DS9 because it felt like a conspiracy with unlimited reach in a society that would have rejected it. We already had the Maquis, we didn't need these guys... just make them Maquis infilitraters and be done with it. At least in Discovery it makes more sense; it's an active intelligence division and the reason why it's not (openly) around anymore is probably going to become apparent as the season goes on.

I feel like I'd be more okay with the Culber stuff if this week's episode (apparently about Suru's home planet) had taken place before THAT one and Culber didn't come back until later in the season.

Still enjoy Tilly. She's seen more shit than most captains at this point and barely complains about it at all.

@Li3n

@Li3n

by magically resurrecting Culber?
To be fair, they've been telegraphing that one since last season.

Frank

Frank

There's no way THE RED ANGEL pays off in any way other than a terrible, long fart.

I fucking hate it.

That Saru episode was fat, hot garbage and Deus Ex Red Angel can fuck right off.

I defended you through season one Discovery, why gotta do this to me?

chris

chris

I calling it now: The Red Angel is either Culber or Michael.

Frank

Frank

Not even going to start on how much I hate Saru's non-sensical world.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My on-going theory right now is that this whole Red Angel thing is just a time travel plot by future Section 31 rebels, essentially to push the Federation's future leadership in a direction that would be less favorable to General Order One and more favorable to activist intervention, because it's THE ONLY way I can see them existing as it's current organization during the TNG/DS9/VOY era. Because EVERY FUCKING DECISION this season flies in the face of the Prime Directive... and while small breaks are more acceptable (I'm okay with Pike giving the guy a battery so that those settlers can have lights/power and telling that guy to move on with his life), what happened during the Saru episode is JANEWAY LEVELS of stupid.

I prefered my old theory (that this was a build up to Iconians) because it's just way... way less stupid.

chris

chris

So Star Trek and the Matrix are both in the same universe.

Or Brainiac will show up later in the season.

chris

chris

Last episode in a nutshell

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Basically. But they at least had some good reasons...

Though it doesn't explain why the Klingons haven't been pursuing Spore Drive technology in the meantime.

All in all, the season was pretty hit or miss but it at least ended well. Let's see where Season 3 ends up.

Frank

Frank

I'm just watching episode 10 of the current season right now since I've been pretty much hate watching it.

I HAAATE this episode. This is the dumbest time travel bullshit Star Trek has ever pulled.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It works out. Trust me.