So Much for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freakin great, I was really getting into Shadow of Chernobyl when I got past Lab X16 and realized my unique gun and armor were practically worthless by the that time and I decided to get them repaired..... until I find out there's no way to repair weapons or armor in the game! :mad:

So I'm not having that right? I'm loving this Sniper Rifle and amazing stalker suit too much to toss em/junk em, so I go looking for a mod that can fix this issue. I find one that comes highly recommended all over the place and install.

Tada! I can repair gear at any vendor now! Woo!

Or "woo" so I thought. I played a while longer before logging out for a while. I get some food, watch a movie, come back and hit "Quick Load" and BOOM Crash To Desktop. :eek: "No.... NO!"

"Ok don't panic, just load your last regular save point." *load last save* ......... *Crash to Desktop* "Auuuuuuuughhhhh!"

"Last option... I can load my last auto save!" *load auto save* *game loads fine*

"Phew! Alright!" *plays another hour and logs out* *next morning* "I have an hour before work, let's play a few minutes..... *load quick save* ...... *Crash to Desktop*

"WHAT THE FUUUUUUUU :explode:

J

JONJONAUG

There's a bug with Quick Saves in STALKER. They're somewhat useful for regular gameplay, but when you load one from a different game "boot", it sometimes crashes.

S

Singularity.EXE

This might be an inappropriate time to ask, but crashing aside, is S.T.A.L.K.E.R a good enough game to throw down the $20 for? Or is it just another FPS?

J

JONJONAUG

My regular save/load is crashing too....
Oh.

...don't know what to tell you then. I went through the entire game vanilla, there's plenty of weapons and armor around to scavenge. Did you try setting your stuff back to what it was in the first place?

S

SeraRelm

I think, and please don't kill me for this (you've other reasons to do so anyway), that the mod you installed... might have messed up your game's loading capabilities.

K

Kitty Sinatra

yeah, perhaps the mod's messing up the save because you started the game without the mod installed. info in the save from before the mod could be fucking it up.

This might be an inappropriate time to ask, but crashing aside, is S.T.A.L.K.E.R a good enough game to throw down the $20 for? Or is it just another FPS?
It's $5 right now on Direct2drive.com, and yes, it's a great gameplay game but the storyline has me scratching my head. I feel like I'm going from objective to objective more than following a storyline though.

Oh.

...don't know what to tell you then. I went through the entire game vanilla, there's plenty of weapons and armor around to scavenge. Did you try setting your stuff back to what it was in the first place?
I think, and please don't kill me for this (you've other reasons to do so anyway), that the mod you installed... might have messed up your game's loading capabilities.
yeah, perhaps the mod's messing up the save because you started the game without the mod installed. info in the save from before the mod could be fucking it up.
I'm pretty much going to try and keep my save games, and reinstall the game fresh. Hope that does it, cause if I have to start over from scratch, this game is going on the backburner.

On the chance that it does start back again just fine, is there a console command to repair gear? I really prefer not to use cheats (hence the mod, at least it charged me money) but I'd like to keep the stuff I have to play through the game.

Any mod you install you should play from the start. I'm sorry but they're right - you probably messed up your savegame. Clear Sky lets you repair gear by the way and the mod Oblivion Lost lets you do it for the vanilla STALKER too. You HAVE to play the game from the start though because it seriously changes the game. Oblivion Lost is like the ultimate mod - it makes the game a whole lot more fun (and a little harder).

Your going to want to upgrade your gun eventually Shego. You can even find or buy spare scopes for weapons that don't have one out of the box, as well as silencers for pistols and under barrel Grenade Launchers for some Rifles. The Unique guns generally don't stay good for long.

But the armor not being repairable? That was crap. It's the reason I never finished the game.

C

Chibibar

Any mod you install you should play from the start. I'm sorry but they're right - you probably messed up your savegame. Clear Sky lets you repair gear by the way and the mod Oblivion Lost lets you do it for the vanilla STALKER too. You HAVE to play the game from the start though because it seriously changes the game. Oblivion Lost is like the ultimate mod - it makes the game a whole lot more fun (and a little harder).
hmm.. So should I get STALKER or Clear Sky version? does it relate?

Your going to want to upgrade your gun eventually Shego. You can even find or buy spare scopes for weapons that don't have one out of the box, as well as silencers for pistols and under barrel Grenade Launchers for some Rifles. The Unique guns generally don't stay good for long.

But the armor not being repairable? That was crap. It's the reason I never finished the game.
That's my point, they don't stay good for long. :mad:

My biggest concern, is I reinstall the game from scratch, lose my saves, restart it with the mod active and get to that same point I was at previously, and it begins crashing again.

Is there no console command for just instant repairing your gear? I know it sounds like a cheat, but the game really needed to have that as an option.

That's my point, they don't stay good for long. :mad:

My biggest concern, is I reinstall the game from scratch, lose my saves, restart it with the mod active and get to that same point I was at previously, and it begins crashing again.

Is there no console command for just instant repairing your gear? I know it sounds like a cheat, but the game really needed to have that as an option.[/QUOTE]

There aren't any cheats in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., unless you get a trainer. Don't know about Clear Sky.

S

Singularity.EXE

So I'm playing and I'm getting the feeling like this game is almost unplayable without mods, or maybe I need to patch it? Its very wonky, I somehow failed "Repel the bandits" despite shooting them to pieces, amongst another bunch of weird things.

Any thoughts?

Make sure you patch from the main site to 1.5 OR get the unofficial patch to 1.7

Unplayable how? As in hard? Like you can't seem to kill them but you die fast? If so, yeah, that's just S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s difficulty kicking your ass. It took me a DAMN long time to learn that I *HAD* to use cover, run and shoot, and grenade tactics to get past certain areas.

Soon though, I was taking out entire miltary bases with a pistol and well placed grenades.

S

Singularity.EXE

Make sure you patch from the main site to 1.5 OR get the unofficial patch to 1.7

Unplayable how? As in hard? Like you can't seem to kill them but you die fast? If so, yeah, that's just S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s difficulty kicking your ass. It took me a DAMN long time to learn that I *HAD* to use cover, run and shoot, and grenade tactics to get past certain areas.

Soon though, I was taking out entire miltary bases with a pistol and well placed grenades.
No, I'm not having much trouble with the games difficulty, the first time I ran into the bandits at the car port I realized I had to drop 'Halo' mode. Which means being a sneaky fuck that blows people up with shotguns to the back.

The unplayable stems from the weird glitches I keep getting, but that might just be that I'm playing the game "right from the box." I haven't downloaded any patches, stupidly assuming they would have come bundled with the online purchase. I guess I'll do that when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.