Should I pick up SFIV

• stick with Super Smash Brothers: Grue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Blazeblue can wait

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So gamestop is running a sale that has Street Fighter IV for $20. It is suddenly bumped onto my impulse buy list. However, I had been planning on buying BlazeBlue: Calamity Trigger in the next couple of weeks (Once rent and bills for August are payed for), and getting SFIV will push back that purchase a week.

Also whats a good arcade stick to get for the 360? the $100+ are right out.

SF4 is fun... and 1 week doesn't seem that much. But buy it on the PC, that way maybe they'll bring more fighting games to it.

EDIT: Oh, and according to PA it's spelled BlazBlue!

I own BlazBlue, and it's totally insane madeness with awesome lathered on top. They went out of their way to make a fighting game that was pure joy to both watch and play.

YMMV, but I was a huge fan of Guilty Gear, and I love this game.

W

wana10

@Li3n said:
EDIT: Oh, and according to PA it's spelled BlazBlue!
not only is it spelled blazblue but it's pronounced blay blue...crazy game :tongue:

TeKeo said:
I own BlazBlue, and it's totally insane madness with awesome lathered on top. They went out of their way to make a fighting game that was pure joy to both watch and play.

YMMV, but I was a huge fan of Guilty Gear, and I love this game.
No PC, no love from me... not until years later when the emulation comes around at least.

Man, i wish we'd still had arcades...

A note about SF IV for PC. I'd recommend downloading the test to make sure that your system can handle it before actually purchasing the game.

S

SeraRelm

Biased choice has me saying SF4. I just like the game better.

Unbiased says SF4, it's a better rounded game.

BlazBlue is a good fighter game, but you're not going to get Guilty Gear out of it. It's just not the same. As pretty as it looks and sounds, the story just falls flat. The combat is good, yeah, but it feels like a shell in comparison. SF4 is giving you the complete package, so I'd say grab that for the long haul and pick up BlazBlue later.

A

Aisaku

What IS good about SFIV it's that it captures the essence of SF's gameplay, with awesome looking graphics and endless supply people to fight with online.

What's good about BlazeBlue is that it's not Street Fighter, that it gives you something different instead of a shinier more of the same.

G

GeneralOrder24

My gripe with sf4 was that it didn't bring anything new to the table. It was just SF2 in 3D from what I played of it. Owning both of the XBLA SF2s that were out, I bought 4 and was largely unimpressed. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 drops this week on live. There's a game to buy. I'm also looking forward to Blazblue, though. Looks good, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Guys, he's not asking "which of these games should i get while totally excluding the other one"... it's just 1 week of not getting BlazBlue... SF4 will keep him busy at least that much and then he'll have both... win-win.

S

SeraRelm

If you think SF4 is just SF2 with shinier graphics you've seriously not even played the game. There are tons of differences in the basic moves, specials, super specials (existing at all), character set up, counters (existing at all) and strategies.

You might as well say Super Mario Galaxy is just Super Mario Brothers with shinier graphics. :eyeroll:

Eh... weren't supers added in one of the later incarnations of SF2?!

Ultra's are new, and the engine and added stuff make it different enough...

@Li3n said:
Eh... weren't supers added in one of the later incarnations of SF2?!

Ultra's are new, and the engine and added stuff make it different enough...
Super combos were added in SF Alpha, I believe.

S

SeraRelm

Even SSF2T was a huge step up from SF2 though, so I stand by my comment.

SF4 is more like SF3 than anythingelse, but it's still a game in itself as far as technique. (If you tried playing SF4 with the same strategies you used in any SF before, you'd get trounced)

As for the topic at hand:
Is Blazblue going to be available on Xbox live?

C

Catafish

As someone who owns both, Blazblue is fucking awesome. Not saying that SFIV isn't awesome but personally I like Blazblue more then SFIV. But if buying SFIV only pushes back buying Blazblue one week then get SFIV this week and Blazblue next week.

I really liked Blazblue, but--for $20--Street Fighter IV is a steal. The sale's only going on til 8/2, and I wholeheartedly recommend picking up a copy of SFIV for this price.

As for whoever said SFIV brought nothing new to the table, I call bull. They simplified the game (no parries and such, with the exception of Gouken), it's extremely well balanced (with the exception of Sagat, but I believe they're working on that), and it's one of the best fighting games I've ever played.

G

GeneralOrder24

SeraRelm said:
If you think SF4 is just SF2 with shinier graphics you've seriously not even played the game. There are tons of differences in the basic moves, specials, super specials (existing at all), character set up, counters (existing at all) and strategies.

You might as well say Super Mario Galaxy is just Super Mario Brothers with shinier graphics. :eyeroll:
Well, I played it enough to unlock everybody but the Akuma bros, and honestly couldn't really see much of a difference. More power to you if you can.

Also: Super Mario Galaxy isn't SMB with sinier graphics, it's Mario64 with shinier graphics.

-- Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm --

Shegokigo said:
SF4 is more like SF3 than anythingelse, but it's still a game in itself as far as technique. (If you tried playing SF4 with the same strategies you used in any SF before, you'd get trounced)
I had no issues playing the game the same way I played SF2.

SeraRelm said:
Even SSF2T was a huge step up from SF2 though, so I stand by my comment.
Sure, but he was obviously referring to SF2 in general, not just the first incarnation...

Status
Not open for further replies.