Season 9 of Scrubs Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

What

The

Fuck

First of all... why hadn't I heard about this before!? You fail me, Halforum(s)!!

Second of all... WHAT. THE. FUCK.

They're moving Sacred Heart to a SCHOOL!? Only Dr. Cox and Turk are to continue as regulars, Neil Flynn, the Janitor, dropped out at the end cause his pilot got picked up.

Wow, this is going to SUUUCK.

For links, I got the confirmation here: http://www.reuters.com/article/televisi ... VM20090515

But you're better off reading the "Future" section in the wiki article, it's more updated (don't worry, it cites sources): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrubs_%28 ... %29#Future

That whole "Another major change will be the setting of the show and where it is filmed. For the first eight seasons, the show was filmed at the North Hollywood Medical Center but production for this season will take place at Culver Studios. As a result, in the show, the existing Sacred Heart hospital will be mentioned to have been torn down and has been partially re-built on campus - due to the economy they ran out of money while building the hospital and construction ended." thing is CLEARLY a sign this has jumped the shark, isn't it?

What I still want to know is how involved Bill Lawrence will be with this new quasi-faux-spinoff

Dude. This was talked about at length when the last season ended.
I have no idea how you missed it.

And yes, it's going to suck.

No, it wasn't confirmed, it was a "it's a maybe, but we doubt it" sort of deal... I didn't know it was confirmed, I didn't know they were changing the fracking setting to a SCHOOL and and... ARGH.

You know what the worst part is?

I'm gonna have to watch anyway. Cause I can't stop watching a show I'm invested with. No matter how sucky it gets in the end. It's like one of my flaws I hate the most.

I was hoping if this did happen they'd take Howie along, I liked him in the episodes he was used. Jo's alright but I'm not sure how she'll do without one of the peppy cast members to play off of.

I'll give it a chance if they get those interns back. They were really starting to develop towards the end of season 8.

Of course, my watching does mostly hinge on the notion that I think Lawrence will be back.

If he's not coming back......

I'll still give it a chance. But I won't enjoy doing so. :angry:

*plugs his ears*

Scrubs isn't coming back after that fantastic send off finale? Huzzah!

Nope! Can't hear you! LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!!

Okay, I MIGHT return if Sunny is one of the interns/students. I has the hots for her. :)

It's a spinoff, is what it is, no matter what they call it.

So was AfterMASH. :facepalm:

Totally.

Zach Braff has said he'll be on for the first few episodes, to help the "transition", totally undermining "My Finale" if you ask me, but oh well.

Sarah Chalke is scheduled to be there for a few too.

Cajungal

Staff member
Mreungh. I agree with Vagabond that the interns were good in the last season. I really enjoyed their stories. But this doesn't sound so good.

Whoever had the brilliant idea of changing everything to a SCHOOL should be SHOT in the GENITALS

When has changing a well-established setting in a show EVER worked!? Fuck that, it's not a well-established setting, Sacred Heart was one of the fracking main CHARACTERS.

This sounds like a pre-made Jumping Of The Shark.

At least change the name and call it a proper spin-off.

Cajungal said:
Mreungh. I agree with Vagabond that the interns were good in the last season. I really enjoyed their stories. But this doesn't sound so good.
The last solid group with Howie, Jo, and Sunny worked well, I agree totally. A show with them as the new main cast I'd be alright with.

From what I read on the wiki and what's been linked I guess they're not all coming along, which I'm leery of.

A

Aisaku

I was really warming up to the interns... why would they tear apart what they were building up last season?

ZenMonkey said:

Yes, and so was Rhoda, Laverne and Shirley, The Jeffersons, Knots Landing, Empty Nest, The Facts of Life...

Spinoffs aren't necessarily bad things.

I look forward to a show without JD, because, quite frankly, at the end Zach Braff was phoning his performances in so hard, it hurt me.

Bowielee said:
*obligatory equally long or longer list of sucktastic spinoffs that I can't be arsed to look up*

ZenMonkey said:
Bowielee said:
*obligatory equally long or longer list of sucktastic spinoffs that I can't be arsed to look up*
Well, even from your example, there was AfterMASH, but there was also Trapper John MD, which was a damn good show.

My point is that saying it is going to suck simply because it's a spinoff is kind of stupid.

C

cvgurau

I'll give it an episode or two out of sheer morbid curiosity, but I have no expectation this show won't suck.

Which leads me to wonder, what the fucks' John Mcginnley doing staring in a fucking spin-off?

*remembers "Are We Done Yet?"* Oh, right. He's in it for the paycheck. Nevermind, then.

Bowielee said:
My point is that saying it is going to suck simply because it's a spinoff is kind of stupid.
In the first place, please quote where I said specifically that.

In the second, the odds are against it either way.

they're still calling it "season 9 of Scrubs", though, which is a huuuuuge blow against it, if they're shaking things up so much.

Vagabond said:
@Li3n said:
Calleja said:
what was the last spin off to succeed anyway? Frasier? That's like 15 years without a good spin off!
SG Atlantis?!
The Colbert Report?
Blasphemy... the Colbert Report has always existed, begotten, not made , of one essence with the Daily Show, that came down to us from heaven to show us the way.

R

Reboneer

I don't wanna tell you how to run your show. But really, it's enough with the bar already.

Seriously, have they though about changing the setting? Because people do meet in places besides a bar. What about a rec room? Or a community center?

Vagabond said:
The Colbert Report?
That example makes me wonder: do spinoffs that air while the original is still on (Melrose Place) perform better or worse than the ones that start after the original is over (Joey)?

ZenMonkey said:
Vagabond said:
The Colbert Report?
That example makes me wonder: do spinoffs that air while the original is still on (Melrose Place) perform better or worse than the ones that start after the original is over (Joey)?
depends. Frasier was huge well after Cheers, while SG Atlantis was best when it could interact with SG1.

L

Lally

I am in agreement with the consensus that spinoffs are usually garbage (although I'll still check out non-Scrubs... there's always a CHANCE it won't suck), but in answer to Calleja's question: Angel & Boston Legal come to mind, although I didn't watch Boston Legal (or much of The Practice, really) I heard it was good. I'm not a Doctor Who watcher, but one of my best friends is a die hard fan and thinks Torchwood is good too. But our resident Doctor fans would need to verify that, of course.

Only successful setting change I can think of is Boy Meets World. They went from Elementary/middle school in Season 1, then jumped to High School and then jumped again to college. And it was an awesome show throughout.

Torchwood is good in some parts, Lally. It's kind of hit and miss. But it's certainly a more successful spin-off than, say, Joey.

Lawrence was quoted saying 'Legacy shmegacy'.

Hehe. Anywho, I'll watch the first few eps and make up my mind then. It might still be good.

You know I LOVE scrubs. I have watched the almost perfect first 4 seasons at least 5 times.
That being said Z.B. really couldn't have acted any less interested in this show for the last few seasons and I have no qualms about him not being on the show.
It's still gonna suck though.

I'm sure this had been discussed here before, or else I'm not sure how I could have already known about it. Last I heard though, the entire cast but Judy Reyes and Zach Braff were returning. This is even worse. I don't actually have TV anyway, but I will try to stomach the first few episodes anyway. I have a [strike:jfpxwv1g]bad[/strike:jfpxwv1g] horrible feeling about this.

I'll give it a chance, and if it's awful, I'll just pretend it's episodes I missed and stop watching. The season 8 finale was really the perfect way to end it all.

ZenMonkey said:

But Trapper John MD was a pretty good show. Even though it had nothing to do with M*A*S*H other than name and background of the mentor doctor in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.