Ryan Reynolds cast as Green Lantern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time seeing either one as Hal, to be honest.

I could buy RR as Kyle (and a "hell yes" re: Wally West), but Hal just seems wrong.

Pre-Parallax Hal isn't just wise-cracking and funny, he truly believes that he's the best there is, and he needs everyone to know it. Anything less means he's not doing his best.

Kyle, on the other hand, began with massive self-confidence issues because, well, he wasn't Hal, and he was completely alone (no corps, no acceptance, fridged girlfriend, etc). He was funny too, but his humor was self-deprecating a lot, and he did it to cover up his insecurities. For better or for worse, RR's roles seem to use variations of this theme, and that's why Kyle makes more sense (to me) for him.

As for Fillion, I've really only seen him in Firefly and Dr. Horrible, so my image of him is a sarcastic veneer covering a really dark, depressing view of life, which really isn't a good match for pre-Parallax Hal (post-Parallax, on the hand, maybe).

The superhero I think Fillion would rock as would be Booster Gold. Never happen, but I can wish.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Ryan Reynolds showed a lot of depth and range in Adventureland, but absolutely no one saw that movie except for me(3 times)
I wanted to see this movie, but it was only in theaters for like a week back home.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Ryan Reynolds showed a lot of depth and range in Adventureland, but absolutely no one saw that movie except for me(3 times)
HEY

I saw it twice and told everyone I know to go see it.

S

Steven Soderburgin

True, true, but I did get to ask Martin Starr questions after my showing which, if I recall correctly, you didn't get to do at all.

Hmm.

Interesting.

I'm counting on Adventureland to pop into my local dollar theater.

Do we even know if Ryan will be Hal or just GL and for all we know he's going to play a white John Stewart?

On a semi-related note, can Justin Timberlake act? I've only seen him on SNL, but they were considering him for this too. I'm guessing it was more because of how big he is though as a name.

phil said:
I'm counting on Adventureland to pop into my local dollar theater.

Do we even know if Ryan will be Hal or just GL and for all we know he's going to play a white John Stewart?

On a semi-related note, can Justin Timberlake act? I've only seen him on SNL, but they were considering him for this too. I'm guessing it was more because of how big he is though as a name.
I've read a copy of the early script and it is centered around Hal Jordan. Of course, it might have changed since this draft, but I'm thinking they'll stick with Hal.

Out of those choices, Ryan Reynolds is the best. Heath Ledger as the Joker and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (while he was largely unknown at the time, just look at what he's done since...there'd be outrage throughout the Geek-O-Sphere if things were reversed) have taught me to just see where it goes.

And if we're just casting the title character, I'd say they're still in the shallow end of pre-production. While he may be Hal Jordan now, for all we know they'll be calling him Alan Scott or Charlie Vicker by the time it's finished. I just hope it actually, y'know, comes out. Anyone else remember the minor excitement over Ray Park being cast as the lead in an "Iron Fist" movie?

EDIT: I gotta say, early screen-plays and definite character names don't always go hand in hand. Hell, they may even re-write the screenplay to play for Reynolds' strengths for all we know.

Timberlake is great on SNL, at least. Always funny. He was pretty much the only good thing about Love Guru too, though that's not saying much I guess.

He did the voice of Vigilante on an episode of Justice Leage Unlimited or two.

I can't think of anything else too big that he was in, well the only thing kinda geeky.

A

Aisaku

I'm more worried about the script, all the acting in the world can't save a terrible script. I'm worried how far they'll go to make the Green Lantern concept accesible to the movie going crowd. I know this isn't Bay, but stil...

To Ryan Reynolds favor all the interviews I've read of him he's really into comics so that might work towards him to get Hal just right. It does make me wonder why DC at large ignores Hal Jordan in its animated features, and when he does appear it's not quite him (JL The New Frontier)

Aisaku said:
I'm more worried about the script, all the acting in the world can't save a terrible script. I'm worried how far they'll go to make the Green Lantern concept accesible to the movie going crowd. I know this isn't Bay, but stil...

To Ryan Reynolds favor all the interviews I've read of him he's really into comics so that might work towards him to get Hal just right. It does make me wonder why DC at large ignores Hal Jordan in its animated features, and when he does appear it's not quite him (JL The New Frontier)
Well, keep in mind that from 1996-2005 Hal Jordan was dead/the spirit of God's vengeance. It probably would have been weird to feature a character in the animated world, which is largely aimed at a younger audience, who is then dead/something completely different in the comic world.

It's kind of like how in the Batman cartoon Dick Grayson was robin, then they changed things like the animation style a bit and Tim Drake was the next Robin. They skipped over Jason Todd completely 'cause well, he was dead. I believe he got better though.

S

Steven Soderburgin

phil said:
He was good in Black Snake Moan. I heard he was also good in Alpha Dog, but I can't say for certain as I didn't see that.

A

Aisaku

phil said:
Aisaku said:

Well, keep in mind that from 1996-2005 Hal Jordan was dead/the spirit of God's vengeance. It probably would have been weird to feature a character in the animated world, which is largely aimed at a younger audience, who is then dead/something completely different in the comic world.

It's kind of like how in the Batman cartoon * Grayson was robin, then they changed things like the animation style a bit and Tim Drake was the next Robin. They skipped over Jason Todd completely 'cause well, he was dead. I believe he got better though.

Oh, right, that's true... Damn that flimsy comic canon spoiling everything.

I didn't pay to see it, but I saw it at this little arthouse theatre at some advance showing. I loved the shit out of it. Reminded me heavily of the 80's style super bittersweet comedies...which I'm sure the guy was going for.

Damn, I was going to try using Slither to back up my argument for Nathan Fillion, but:
1) It's not exactly a widely known movie.
2) It flopped, never even making back its own budget, despite getting 85% on Rotten Tomatoes. :(

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Well, I'm glad to be wrong!

I saw Bruno last night, and I think I'm going to take the unpopular opinion that it was better than Borat.
Unpopular? That's all I've been hearing about Bruno.

ElJuski

Staff member
Kissinger said:
phil said:
He was good in Black Snake Moan. I heard he was also good in Alpha Dog, but I can't say for certain as I didn't see that.
I loved Timberlake in Black Snake Moan (awesome movie in general).
Espy said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Saw it.
Loved it.
Me too! Except for the ending, which I felt extended too far to reach the ending it wanted to have. [spoiler:35w1fc5q]I personally think it should have ended when they were all sitting on the field; I don't think they should have got together and I thought him saying fuckit and flying out to New York was tacky.[/spoiler:35w1fc5q]

As for the Green Lantern thing, as always, I'll hold out until I see it.

Kissinger said:
I've been wanting to see Slither. :/
I loved it, honestly. Happily saw it in theatres, bought it (previously viewed) on DVD and never get tired of watching it. It's like a modern version of an old drive in horror flick, but very tongue-in-cheek. Check it out sometime, bud.

ThatNickGuy said:
Kissinger said:
I loved it, honestly. Happily saw it in theatres, bought it (previously viewed) on DVD and never get tired of watching it. It's like a modern version of an old drive in horror flick, but very tongue-in-cheek. Check it out sometime, bud.
"I think there's something wrong with me......"

ElJuski said:
Kissinger said:
phil said:
I loved Timberlake in Black Snake Moan (awesome movie in general).
Espy said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
Saw it.
Loved it.
Me too! Except for the ending, which I felt extended too far to reach the ending it wanted to have. [spoiler:25zc572f]I personally think it should have ended when they were all sitting on the field; I don't think they should have got together and I thought him saying fuckit and flying out to New York was tacky.[/spoiler:25zc572f]

As for the Green Lantern thing, as always, I'll hold out until I see it.
[spoiler:25zc572f]I completely agree with the ending. It really seems to undo everything the movie had become up to that point.[/spoiler:25zc572f]

I agree on Slither, I'm not normally big on horror (I get more bored than scared) but the camp twist on this one sold it for me. It's hilarious.

Shannow

Staff member
ThatNickGuy said:
Kissinger said:

Also, this. I loved the mayor in this movie, especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.