router questions for all you knowledgeable folk

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have an older linksys wrt54g wireless router that has been (i think) crapping out on me. i have two pc's and a ps3 hooked into the router right now, and i keep getting "hiccups" in my internet access. for example: my ps3 will randomly disconnect from the network or my computer will experience an internet freeze, or will not connect period; i end up having to reboot my router, SOMETIMES my modem as well in order to get a connection back.

any ideas?

and thanks ahead of time, i always get great answers from you guys :)

Update the firmware? I was sharing a connection with another guy here who provided an old router. Our connection kept dropping, we would have access for 10 minutes, then it would stop and come back 30 minutes later, or not at all. I would have to go up one floor to the utility closet (where everyone in the building connects through a distributor box) to power cycle the cable modem and router. It took the guy a month to update the firmware, when it is a simple process. We were paying $135 for that spotty access when it could have been fixed overnight (it's better now).

R

Roxxoredizorz

Burn it.

Seriously the WRT54G Sucks balls. Go out and get a new, good router.

J

Joe Johnson

I'd plug a PC in directly to the modem for awhile first. My cable modem died recently, but before it did, it was giving me hiccups similar to that. Bypassing the router should tell you if it's the modem or the router.

Don't spend money till you've troubleshot and are sure of the real issue.

I too was going to recommend DD-WRT. I have a friend who swears by it, and it looks as though your router is supported.

J

Joe Johnson

Covar said:
I too was going to recommend DD-WRT. I have a friend who swears by it, and it looks as though your router is supported.
That's pretty cool. I should try that on my old Linksys.

Of course, I just got an old Cisco 2611 router from work, I'd like to try throwing that in the mix too, just for learning's sake.

Joe Johnson said:
Of course, I just got an old Cisco 2611 router from work, I'd like to try throwing that in the mix too, just for learning's sake.
I've setup a 2621 at home tied into my lab and it works great. Too bad it lacks GB, mainly because those WICs are so damn expensive. Let me know if you want some assistance.

figmentPez

Staff member
Roxxoredizorz said:
Burn it.

Seriously the WRT54G Sucks balls. Go out and get a new, good router.
Any specific reasons you think it's a bad router? It, and it's siblings, are highly rated in reviews all over the internet. I personally know at least 3 people using it or a variation of the model, for whom it works quite well.

Failing specifics on it's supposed FAIL, could you make recommendations on a good router?

Status
Not open for further replies.