Robots are getting laid off in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://gizmodo.com/5313326/robotic-fact ... rest-of-us

One of the dangers of humanizing robots—giving them person-like shapes, names and roles—is that when they face joblessness due to a decrease in demand for manufacturing, you actually feel a little sorry for them.

That's the situation now in Japan, where industrial production has sunk by 40%, leaving scores of mechanized workers with nothing to do. So, they sit.

It gets worse (for robots): industrial robot sales fell by around 60% in the first quarter of the year, which will have unfortunately effects for people outside of the manufacturing world. Why? Who do you think pays for all those ridiculous robot vanity projects we always write about? Yup, it's the same guys who can't move any Catalytic Converters Assemblybot 3000s. Basically, not only will robots continue to lose their jobs—as a genus, if we can call them that, they'll actually start to get less cool.

In a broader context, this is also kind of disturbing. A large, newly-unemployed population with few prospects and a precarious political climate is the classic recipe for the rise of totalitarianism. A large, newly-unemployed robot population with few prospects and a precarious political climate? I don't like the sound of that one bit.

Yeah, that's the problem with humanizing objects.

I await the robot revolution and humanities destruction.

C

Chibibar

@Li3n said:
OMG... Skynet wasn't a military robot... he was a disgruntled employee...
And now we know the truth ;)

edit: unlike human counterpart, they don't get unemployment. No wonder these robot are disgruntle.

Next thing we know them robots will be asking for rights! It ain't enough with stealing awr jerbs anymore!?

Shegokigo said:
Actually it reminds me more of the story of the Animatrix.
Ditto.

C

Chibibar

Krisken said:

Heh... Since they are "humanize" type robots, I guess convert them to sex robot shouldn't be that hard (yea it was already mention) but I couldn't resist.

Chibibar said:
Krisken said:

Heh... Since they are "humanize" type robots, I guess convert them to sex robot shouldn't be that hard (yea it was already mention) but I couldn't resist.
I mean there already is a sex doll market, why not some animated/robotosized ones?

:rofl:

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
Chibibar said:
Krisken said:

I mean there already is a sex doll market, why not some animated/robotosized ones?

:rofl:
:confused:...... that is kinda creepy.

C

chakz

Wow. Of all the dystopian Robot futures science fiction has warned us about I never saw this one coming.

-- Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 pm --

This actually sounds like it could make for a great science fiction story.

Status
Not open for further replies.