Export thread

RIAA, "DRM is dead."

elph

http://www.techspot.com/news/35518-riaa ... -dead.html

Anytime there is news about someone high up in the tech industry criticizing DRM, it's generally a positive experience – there are few consumers who approve of it and it's nice to know people on the inside realize that. But what if one of its biggest backers were now to frown upon DRM? That seems to be the case with Jonathan Lamy, chief spokesperson for the RIAA.

Lamy spoke about DRM in a brief blurb with SCMagazine, claiming that the technology is dead. He was in particular referring to the DRM-free music available via iTunes and, increasingly, other online music retailers.

This is in stark contrast to the RIAA's stance in the past. They have always been defenders of DRM, and are clearly an example of an organization that believes it is media conglomerates, not people, who have rights to content. So why the change? Is the RIAA admitting that DRM does not work or was this simply a passing comment that has no real bearing? Hopefully the former. Though most of us can easily find fault with the RIAA, DRM won't die so long as at least one company out there supports it.

Chibibar

elph said:
http://www.techspot.com/news/35518-riaa-believes-that-drm-is-dead.html

Anytime there is news about someone high up in the tech industry criticizing DRM, it's generally a positive experience – there are few consumers who approve of it and it's nice to know people on the inside realize that. But what if one of its biggest backers were now to frown upon DRM? That seems to be the case with Jonathan Lamy, chief spokesperson for the RIAA.

Lamy spoke about DRM in a brief blurb with SCMagazine, claiming that the technology is dead. He was in particular referring to the DRM-free music available via iTunes and, increasingly, other online music retailers.

This is in stark contrast to the RIAA's stance in the past. They have always been defenders of DRM, and are clearly an example of an organization that believes it is media conglomerates, not people, who have rights to content. So why the change? Is the RIAA admitting that DRM does not work or was this simply a passing comment that has no real bearing? Hopefully the former. Though most of us can easily find fault with the RIAA, DRM won't die so long as at least one company out there supports it.
DRM on paper looks great, but like any protection, there will ALWAYS be smarter people out there "cracking" them. It is all matter of time and cost. Look at Sims3 and "buy content" yea.. how long that last?

Steam doesn't have any DRM does it? (I never check the code) look how well they do.

Cat

Cat

Of course Steam has DRM. Every game you buy on Steam has to be run through Steam and you have to be online with the account the game is tied to.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Cat said:
Of course Steam has DRM. Every game you buy on Steam has to be downloaded through Steam and you have to be online with the account the game is tied to.
FTFY

You can run steam games without any active internet connection whatsoever.

Chibibar

Cat said:
Of course Steam has DRM. Every game you buy on Steam has to be run through Steam and you have to be online with the account the game is tied to.
true, but it is not on your PC (like rootkit) right? just your userID and password and check with the system. The downside you have to be online.

I remember the Sony Rootkit fiasco when you try to uninstall the crap...

Cat

Cat

Bowielee said:
FTFY

If you crack them, sure.

Chibibar said:
true, but it is not on your PC (like rootkit) right? just your userID and password and check with the system. The downside you have to be online.

I remember the Sony Rootkit fiasco when you try to uninstall the crap...
I think that's correct.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Cat said:
Bowielee said:
FTFY

If you crack them, sure.
You don't need to crack them at all. Steam has an offline mode. I've always had full access to my games, even when I wasn't connected to the internet, unless, of course it's an online only game, like Left 4 Dead.

Cat

Cat

Steam's offline mode is notoriously unreliable. I just unplugged my connection to test it and I couldn't start offline mode because steam wasn't online.

JCM

Bowielee said:
Cat said:
Of course Steam has DRM. Every game you buy on Steam has to be downloaded through Steam and you have to be online with the account the game is tied to.
FTFY

You must validate every game through steam online before you can enter offline mode, so there isnt much of a difference between entering online to play then going offline, and playing while online.

Oh, and accoring to /. and wiki- According to the Steam Subscriber Agreement, Steam's availability is not guaranteed and Valve is under no legal obligation to release an update disabling the authentication system in the event that Steam becomes permanently unavailable.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Cat said:
Steam's offline mode is notoriously unreliable. I just unplugged my connection to test it and I couldn't start offline mode because steam wasn't online.
Then something's wrong on your end, because when I do the same thing, it asks me when I open steam if I'd like to open in offline mode.

elph

Keep in mind, the RIAA is really only talking about DRM in terms of the online music industry. Nothing at all with video games.

In fact, I have found 1 peice of software that has yet to have it's DRM cracked. Blood Bowl from Cyanide uses SecuROM DRM, and there isn't a crack for it yet. It's been available for direct download in the US for about a month now, but doesn't get released on Steam or physical discs until Sept.

I'm sure eventually it will be cracked, but so far... not yet.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Bowielee said:
Cat said:
Then something's wrong on your end, because when I do the same thing, it asks me when I open steam if I'd like to open in offline mode.
Seriously, same thing here, I can play offline mode without ever getting online. Not sure what CAT and JCM are talking about.

Chibibar

elph said:
Keep in mind, the RIAA is really only talking about DRM in terms of the online music industry. Nothing at all with video games.

In fact, I have found 1 peice of software that has yet to have it's DRM cracked. Blood Bowl from Cyanide uses SecuROM DRM, and there isn't a crack for it yet. It's been available for direct download in the US for about a month now, but doesn't get released on Steam or physical discs until Sept.

I'm sure eventually it will be cracked, but so far... not yet.

Yea. my fault to derail :) usually when I DRM, I usually associate to games first than music.

Chazwozel

Shegokigo said:
Bowielee said:
Cat said:
Seriously, same thing here, I can play offline mode without ever getting online. Not sure what CAT and JCM are talking about.

Just tried it. Works offline just fine. My bullshit detector is pointing in CAT and JCM's direction.

-- Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:46 am --

JCM said:
Bowielee said:
Cat said:
FTFY

You must validate every game through steam online before you can enter offline mode, so there isnt much of a difference between entering online to play then going offline, and playing while online.

Oh, and accoring to /. and wiki- According to the Steam Subscriber Agreement, Steam's availability is not guaranteed and Valve is under no legal obligation to release an update disabling the authentication system in the event that Steam becomes permanently unavailable.

You validate the game right after you download it. And then you play offline to your heart's content.

Of course you have to be online to download the game!

Your definition of DRM suggests that even this website is a form of DRM because you need to be online to view it. While I agree that Steam itself is a form of DRM, it's in no way similar to the way other games utilize DRM. You don't have a limited amount of installs and you can play the game on any computer as long as you log in under your Steam name. It actually works with the customer, and as long as you actually pay for you game, Steam is a good deal.

The whole offline mode argument is utterly retarded. First off who plays PC games offline anymore? And even if you do (say on a laptop on the train), when was the last time you installed a non DRM game while on the move? Chances are you're going to download, validate, and install a game before you move to a no internet area. Virtually everyone with a PC has an internet connection. A personal computer is utterly worthless without internet connection, and if you don't have an internet connection chances are strong that you have no interest in playing current video games on Steam.

That UEA that you have quote is pretty much the standard legal statement of any and every online service to bail their ass out of being responsible in case their servers crap out for the day. If the World of Warcraft servers bust down, do you think Blizzard owes anyone anything? They have the same exact statement.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Did you unplug the internet before checking?! (though i do recall it working when my net was down during the DoW2 beta it's always best to double check).

JCM

You cant play a game until it has been authenticated, and yes, offline mode is there, but if you want a new game that uses Steam, and have no internet, good-fucking-luck.

The other issues are third-party DRM that sometimes go wonky, but thats not Valve´s fault.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Good thing that internet connections never fail then....

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
You cant play a game until it has been authenticated, and yes, offline mode is there, but if you want a new game that uses Steam, and have no internet, good-fucking-luck.
If you're in the market for a new game, and you don't have internet, you couldnt' buy it from the STEAM store anyway. Where are you trying to go with this JCM?
JCM said:
The other issues are third-party DRM that sometimes go wonky, but thats not Valve´s fault.
As far as I know, there are no third party DRM with STEAM purchased games.

Chazwozel

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
You cant play a game until it has been authenticated, and yes, offline mode is there, but if you want a new game that uses Steam, and have no internet, good-smurfing-luck.
If you're in the market for a new game, and you don't have internet, you couldnt' buy it from the STEAM store anyway. Where are you trying (and failing) to go with this JCM?
JCM said:

I think he means if you by something like Half-Life at the store and go to install it with no internet connection. Thing is the box says under system requirements: INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED FOR PLAY! I mean nowadays buying a PC game always requires an internet connection. Complaining about Steam based games requiring internet connection is like bitching about requiring internet connection to play an MMO.

I really can't fathom who doesn't have internet connection on their computer. Maybe in like 1994...

JCM

Several.
Example, GTAIV has securom, as well as many other Steam games-
http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=11
However Steam rocks in telling you which other DRM is there besides steam-

And yes, again STEAM in itself is DRM. You must activate the game online (and in the case of popular games like Half Life 2 at launch, spend days waiting for activation servers to come back online to play), and it checks if you have a legit copy of all your games everytime you turn it on.
Chazwozel said:
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
You cant play a game until it has been authenticated, and yes, offline mode is there, but if you want a new game that uses Steam, and have no internet, good-smurfing-luck.
If you're in the market for a new game, and you don't have internet, you couldnt' buy it from the STEAM store anyway. Where are you trying (and failing) to go with this JCM?
JCM said:

I think he means if you by something like Half-Life at the store and go to install it with no internet connection. Thing is the box says under system requirements: INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED FOR PLAY! I mean nowadays buying a PC game always requires an internet connection. Complaining about Steam based games requiring internet connection is like bitching about requiring internet connection to play an MMO.
Of course its reasonable to make someone connect online, fuck yu if you are travelling and you buy a few games to play alone

Reasonable to pussies who bend over and do whatever companies say, really, but sadly thats the way the future of gaming DRM is going, and there´s a crack avaliable within launch day, anyway, so both the pussies and those who dont feel like looking for an internet connection just to play a fucking game alone, will be happy.

Not that I hate Steam, its pretty reasonable, no Spyware (for EA, Valve games), after initial activation, you dont need to chonnect again, no limits to computers a game can be installed (although just one can play the game online at a time, but thats fair enough).

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Of course its reasonable to make someone connect online, fuck yu if you are travelling and you buy a few games to play alone
Dunno about you, but everywhere I travel offers me very convienent internet connection. :slywink: Unless I way to play in the middle of the rainforest..... DAMN! :tongue:

JCM said:
Reasonable to pussies who bend over and do whatever companies say, really, but sadly thats the way the future of gaming DRM is going, and there´s a crack avaliable within launch day, anyway, so both the pussies and those who dont feel like looking for an internet connection just to play a fucking game alone, will be happy.
Must suck for those who pirate games more than they purchase them huh? :rofl:

JCM

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Must suck for those who pirate games more than they purchase them huh? :rofl:
Or those who arent pussies and need to ask for permission to play a game they paid for, but hey, thats how 90% of the world is.

Funnily, after installing Half-Life 2 and cracking it, I was playing it within 4 hours of purchasing it, while my idiot pussy mates were waiting for 2 days for the Half Life 2 activation servers to get back online during the launch period debacle.
:smug:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Or those who arent pussies and need to ask for permission to play a game they paid for, but hey, thats how 90% of the world is.
Oh you're totally right, pirates have way more claim to a game than someone who paid for it. :eyeroll:

JCM said:
Funnily, after installing Half-Life 2 and cracking it, I was playing it within 4 hours of purchasing it, while my idiot pussy mates were waiting for 2 days for the Half Life 2 activation servers to get back online during the launch period debacle.
Sad situation, glad you totally understand that some companies have issues with launch days. :rofl:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Shegokigo said:
Dunno about you, but everywhere I travel offers me very convienent internet connection. :slywink: Unless I way to play in the middle of the rainforest..... DAMN! :tongue:
Or while driving down the highway. I'm going on another road trip with my family soon, and while I'm not driving I'll be doing stuff on my laptop. However, that won't include playing Gametap games. They require an internet connect to play, every time. (I've never tested to see what happens if you loose your connection while playing). I think the benefits of unlimited games for $60 a year outweighs the limitations (which will be even fewer when the new encyrption rolls out and 64-bit is supported, as well as game mods), but it's a pretty big drawback to not be able to play whenever and wherever you want.

JCM

Of course everywhere in the world there´s an internet connection just at the next street corner.
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Oh you're totally right, pirates have way more claim to a game than someone who paid for it. :eyeroll:
NAh, just pussies have more a claim for the vaseline when companies start asking the PAYING customers, to validate something they bought, when pirates get it before launch day, hacked, cracked and working. Dont mind me, since anyone who wont authorise online *must* be a pirate, everyone who does can be a pussy, how about it?
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Sad situation, glad you totally understand that some companies have issues with launch days. :rofl:
Glad the pathetic "PIRATES" excuse is still being used in any debate when someone asks why those who BUY it will have to go thorugh shitloads of troubles, when Half-Life 2 was already avaliable hacked, cracked and working before launch.

Heck, to tell the truth, cracked games run better and with no hassle (specially SECUROM titles that experience performance burps), and paying customers have to chose to either watse their time with slowed performance and having to activate stuff, or do like the pirates and crack their game copy. Heck, Morrowind and Oblivion had a huge increase in performance.

Awaiting more "BUT ONLY PIRATES ARENT PUSSIES!!" strawmen, instead of a good reason on why one must activate online something he just paid for.

Chazwozel

Solution to all your internet travel woes:

And really it's kind of childish to view it as "permission to play" I've had far more beef with the WoW servers being down than Steam being fucked up. You're paying for a game, but you're also paying for online service accompanying the game. The thing you really pay for when you buy a physical copy of the disk is the box and instruction manual. Sometimes that service is down, the UEA that you agree to when you buy the game says this. No one should be bitching about something they agree to before they buy the game.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Chazwozel said:

And really it's kind of childish to view it as "permission to play" I've had far more beef with the WoW servers being down than Steam being fucked up. You're paying for a game, but you're also paying for online service accompanying the game. The thing you really pay for when you buy a physical copy of the disk is the box and instruction manual. Sometimes that service is down, the UEA that you agree to when you buy the game says this. No one should be bitching about something they agree to before they buy the game.

No offense Chaz, but you're coming off as the dick in the discussion. I play games off line almost exclusively. I don't care for other people in my games, I get enough crap from people as is. I play solely single player, and I'll be damned if I need a net connection for it. I regularly buy games then crack them simply to avoid the need for a net connection. i use my computer quite extensively away from the 'net. Your "solution" works in one country, which isn't really all that useful. I regularly play in three different countries, I don't intend to get internet abonnements for each one; especially since they cost an arm and a leg in two of those three (the brits are lucky and the yanks even more so.)

And, DRM means Digital Rights Management. ANY way in which a publisher tries to limit what you can do with digital stuff you purchased is DRM. Yes, down to CD keys and "what is the 7th word of page 15 of the manual" from the days of yore. Whether or not all DRM is bad is another debate, but claiming these things aren't DRM is simply trying to alter the definition of the word.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

figmentPez said:
but it's a pretty big drawback to not be able to play whenever and wherever you want.
I hardly count the Rainforests of Brazil and on a road trip (in the car) as "whenever/wherever".
JCM said:
NAh, just pussies have more a claim for the vaseline when companies start asking the PAYING customers, to validate something they bought, when pirates get it before launch day, hacked, cracked and working. Dont mind me, since anyone who wont authorise online *must* be a pirate, everyone who does can be a pussy, how about it?
You're not fooling anyone JCM. We're well aware of your own self-glorified online antics. Oh, and way to dodge the point proving you wrong in that one.
JCM said:
Glad the pathetic "PIRATES" excuse is still being used in any debate when someone asks why those who BUY it will have to go thorugh shitloads of troubles, when Half-Life 2 was already avaliable hacked, cracked and working before launch.
Call it pathetic all you like but the reason is valid and still proving you wrong.
JCM said:
Heck, to tell the truth, cracked games run better and with no hassle (specially SECUROM titles that experience performance burps), and paying customers have to chose to either watse their time with slowed performance and having to activate stuff, or do like the pirates and crack their game copy. Heck, Morrowind and Oblivion had a huge increase in performance.
Gee, I wonder who's responsible for SECUROM in the first place. :slywink: inb4zomgthecompaniezsuckandthatswhyidoit
JCM said:
Awaiting more "BUT ONLY PIRATES ARENT PUSSIES!!" strawmen, instead of a good reason on why one must activate online something he just paid for.
To prove they purchased it and never have to worry about it again. Duh? :Leyla:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Chazwozel said:

Yeah, money solves a lot of technology problems. However, I don't have the money to spend on a cellular data plan. I could buy a game from GOG for a whole lot cheaper than I could get even a month of service.

Chazwozel

Bubble181 said:
Chazwozel said:

And really it's kind of childish to view it as "permission to play" I've had far more beef with the WoW servers being down than Steam being smurfed up. You're paying for a game, but you're also paying for online service accompanying the game. The thing you really pay for when you buy a physical copy of the disk is the box and instruction manual. Sometimes that service is down, the UEA that you agree to when you buy the game says this. No one should be bitching about something they agree to before they buy the game.

No offense Chaz, but you're coming off as the * in the discussion. I play games off line almost exclusively. I don't care for other people in my games, I get enough crap from people as is. I play solely single player, and I'll be damned if I need a net connection for it. I regularly buy games then crack them simply to avoid the need for a net connection. i use my computer quite extensively away from the 'net. Your "solution" works in one country, which isn't really all that useful. I regularly play in three different countries, I don't intend to get internet abonnements for each one; especially since they cost an arm and a leg in two of those three (the brits are lucky and the yanks even more so.)

And, DRM means Digital Rights Management. ANY way in which a publisher tries to limit what you can do with digital stuff you purchased is DRM. Yes, down to CD keys and "what is the 7th word of page 15 of the manual" from the days of yore. Whether or not all DRM is bad is another debate, but claiming these things aren't DRM is simply trying to alter the definition of the word.
I'm not trying to claim they're not DRM, I'm just saying that the requirements for the DRM access are not all that steep with Steam. The best option for your situation is to not buy games with "internet access" as a system requirement. I mean no one is forcing you to buy anything right? If I want to buy a rare Peugeot or Fiat in the United States, I'm going to have to pay premium coinage for them, but I don't have to buy them. Same deal with the video games. It's like buying the newest game with insane RAM and CPU requirements and then bitching about it when your 5 year old computer can't run it.

-- Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:32 pm --

figmentPez said:
Chazwozel said:

Yeah, money solves a lot of technology problems. However, I don't have the money to spend on a cellular data plan. I could buy a game from GOG for a whole lot cheaper than I could get even a month of service.
Ugh... anyone who NEEDS to play video games 24/7 on their laptop on the road needs a cattle prod up the ass anyway. Otherwise use this to deal with travel:

tegid

tegid

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:

JCM said:
Reading comprehension FAIL

That, or I'm not getting your point.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

tegid said:

You're not. :slywink:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Chazwozel said:
Ugh... anyone who NEEDS to play video games 24/7 on their laptop on the road needs a cattle prod up the ass anyway. Otherwise use this to deal with travel: Nintendo DS
I have a Nintendo DS already. I've used it and other portable gaming systems a lot when I'm travelling. However, I just got my first laptop. I'm also already subscribed to Gametap. I'm just expressing my lament over the limitations of the service, which are not limited to exotic locations like the rainforest. I'd have been similarly out of luck during the week-long power outage after hurricane ike. My laptop, which I didn't have then, gets ~6 hours on a charge. Could have done a lot to relieve the boredom of no internet. It's not about needing to play, it's about wanting to play. There are other options, I will do other things, I'm just pointing out a DRM scheme that is even more restrictive than Steam.

Bowielee

Bowielee

figmentPez said:
Chazwozel said:
Ugh... anyone who NEEDS to play video games 24/7 on their laptop on the road needs a cattle prod up the a** anyway. Otherwise use this to deal with travel: Nintendo DS
I have a Nintendo DS already. I've used it and other portable gaming systems a lot when I'm travelling. However, I just got my first laptop. I'm also already subscribed to Gametap. I'm just expressing my lament over the limitations of the service, which are not limited to exotic locations like the rainforest. I'd have been similarly out of luck during the week-long power outage after hurricane ike. My laptop, which I didn't have then, gets ~6 hours on a charge. Could have done a lot to relieve the boredom of no internet. It's not about needing to play, it's about wanting to play. There are other options, I will do other things, I'm just pointing out a DRM scheme that is even more restrictive than Steam.
I was one of the earliest subscribers to gametap. Now that they've switched to a web based system, rather than a dedicated client, it's gone to hell.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

figmentPez said:
So over the course of a year, 1-5% of your Gametap is unavailable and you find that a large limitation to the service?

Chazwozel

figmentPez said:
Chazwozel said:
Ugh... anyone who NEEDS to play video games 24/7 on their laptop on the road needs a cattle prod up the a** anyway. Otherwise use this to deal with travel: Nintendo DS

I guess I'm just a dinosaur who doesn't need to be entertained 24/7.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, Gametap was never intended to be an offline service. It's plainly stated on their site that an internet connection is required to play. It also really don't figure into the whole DRM issue anyway because it's a subscription service. You don't purchase anything from them.

JCM

That´s Chaz´ way, but he does have a valid point, there are internet connections almost everywhere,, so while it seems idiotic for paying customoers to have to go online, its not like its impossible.
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Nah, just pussies have more a claim for the vaseline when companies start asking the PAYING customers, to validate something they bought, when pirates get it before launch day, hacked, cracked and working. Dont mind me, since anyone who wont authorise online *must* be a pirate, everyone who does can be a pussy, how about it?
UR MUST BE PIRATE!! Prove U wrong in that one.
Wrong in what? That pirates still get to play, while paying customers get hassled?
JCM said:
Call it pathetic all you like but PIRATES!! and still proving you wrong.
Hey, its because of ninjas!!

Man, its easy proving Shegiko wrong, Shegiko-style.

What are you proving wrong anyway? You said Steam wasnt DRM, I showed you it is.
You questioned 3rd-party DRM, I gave you a list.
I said its dickish to force someone to connect online to start playing a game offline for the first time, and you scream PIRATES!!
JCM said:
Gee, I wonder who's responsible for SECUROM in the first place.
The ones who download games with the latest secuROM crack and play PC games at faster speeds, with no cd-checking or online activations?

Aactivation for single-player offline is useless against piracy, because people who pirate already buy cds/get torrents cracked and working, days before paying customers manage to get their game activated.

What is your point again, besides PIRATES!! and UR WRONG?
tegid said:
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:

JCM said:

I´m still trying to get what she is saying.

I say that its idiotic for people to activate a game online to be able to play single-player, and she calls out PIRATES!!,
When someone says that some people might not have internet avaliable at the time, she screams RAINFORESTS!
When someone notes that some gamers were unable to activate a game, she says UR PIRATE, SERVERS BUSY!!

Are you taking drugs again Shego, or has becoming a pussy asking for permission for a game you paid for made you soft?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:

It's easy to tell when you're wrong JCM, you begin quote changing people, it's become a very obvious tactic over the past few years.

JCM said:
I said its dickish to force someone to connect online to start playing a game offline for the first time, and you scream PIRATES!!
I said I disagree, it's the company's way of making sure it's a legit copy, nothing wrong with that as long as you're able to play offline from there on out.
JCM said:
The ones who download games with the latest secuROM crack and play PC games at faster speeds, with no cd-checking or online activations?
I wonder what those kind of people are called. Also, my games run faster than I could ever want, maybe those with slower running systems should look into that problem before piracy.
JCM said:
Aactivation for single-player offline is useless against piracy, because people who pirate already buy cds/get torrents cracked and working, days before paying customers manage to get their game activated.
Which totally makes it alright? Nice point there.
JCM said:

I say that its idiotic for people to activate a game online to be able to play single-player, and she calls out PIRATES!!,
When someone says that some people might not have internet avaliable at the time, she screams RAINFORESTS!
When someone notes that some gamers were unable to activate a game, she says UR PIRATE, SERVERS BUSY!!

Are you taking drugs again Shego, or has becoming a pussy asking for permission for a game you paid for made you soft?
If you don't like the "tag" JCM, don't live the lifestyle.
If you suddenly have the urge to purchase a game off STEAM (not play, because you can play it offline just fine) and don't have access to internet, I don't know what to tell you
Don't know what you mean by asking for permission. All I've ever done is tell a company, by logging on once and only once, "Hey, I bought your game and it's legit". I also like how you seem to think "pussy" is a derogatory term in any way for me. :rofl:

tegid

tegid

What I don't get, Shego, is why you think it's wrong to crack or whatever a game you have bought if, because of any reason, you can't regularly register it. Or aren't you?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

tegid said:
What I don't get, Shego, is why you think it's wrong to crack or whatever a game you have bought if, because of any reason, you can't regularly register it. Or aren't you?
I have absolutely nothing against people who purchase and then crack them.

I'm saying, it wouldn't be required at all if there weren't a certain breed of people out there, and on these boards (who have flaunted it in the past) requiring companies to take those steps. Whether or not there is a "crack out within a couple of days", it deters the less skilled from getting it or even the best "cracks" are glitchy and sometimes bug out is hardly a point for "why bother trying to protect your game?" arguments.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Shegokigo said:
So over the course of a year, 1-5% of your Gametap is unavailable and you find that a large limitation to the service?
Okay, I overstated. The 64-bit incompatibility is a major issue, the requirement of online play is merely a frustrating limitation inherent to the type of service.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

figmentPez said:
Shegokigo said:
Okay, I overstated. The 64-bit incompatibility is a major issue, the requirement of online play is merely a frustrating, issue.
Ah, I'm not a Gametap subscriber (I have enough unfinished games to last me a good year as it is!) so I could see the issue there. Though if it weren't online play, how would they keep people from just downloading the entire library within a month and then canceling?

tegid

tegid

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
He was talking about that case, and you answer like he was talking about pirates... This is the confusing point.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

tegid said:
He was talking about that case, and you answer like he was talking about pirates... This is the confusing point.
Only because you're not familiar with JCM.

Viggs

Cat said:
My experience: When I moved back to college last January, I was without internet access for a month and had absolutely no problems playing my games.

JCM said:
You cant play a game until it has been authenticated, and yes, offline mode is there, but if you want a new game that uses Steam, and have no internet, good-fucking-luck..
Observation: For those who want a new game and have no internet Digital Distribution is simply not an option.

JCM said:
(although just one can play the game online at a time, but thats fair enough)
This is true, but I guess this may or may not be an issue depending on the situation. In my particular case I am the only one in my residence with any interest in games. I could see this being an issue for other people, tho.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Viggs said:
Observation: For those who want a new game and have no internet Digital Distribution is simply not an option.
Steam isn't just for digital distribution, it's also used to validate retail copies of games. You buy a Valve game (and possibly other companies' games, I don't know) you have to use Steam to be able to play it, even if you have a CD.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The only CD copy game that I purchased that required me to be on steam was Dawn of War 2 and that had ten tons of trouble.

If one were to make a case as to why DRM is bad, that's a perfect one. There are not 1, not 2, but 3 seperate DRMs on the game. One for each company involved in the distribution, and it was, quite frankly, a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

No one is saying that DRM is awsome. Anyone saying that would be stupid, or a liar.

One of the points Shego is making, which is also one of my sticking points. If it weren't for the pirates, we wouldn't even need DRM in the first place.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Bowielee said:
One of the points Shego is making, which is also one of my sticking points. If it weren't for the pirates, we wouldn't even need DRM in the first place.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI:2da9oeml][/youtube:2da9oeml]

tegid

tegid

Shegokigo said:
tegid said:
Oh, but I am! I've been around lurking since Image... I'm not used to discussing with him, and usually I get tired fast of the discussions he's in and only skim through them, so that may be the reason. I must say, though, that reading this discussion it felt like you were some kind of JCM 2.0, not really reading what the other was saying. If what you are doing is anticipating his next arguments or being blunt so he can't play his game or something then I guess it's fine.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

tegid said:
Oh, but I am! I've been around lurking since Image... I'm not used to discussing with him, and usually I get tired fast of the discussions he's in and only skim through them, so that may be the reason. I must say, though, that reading this discussion it felt like you were some kind of JCM 2.0, not really reading what the other was saying. If what you are doing is anticipating his next arguments or being blunt so he can't play his game or something then I guess it's fine.
Pretty much was just directly speaking about JCM and not other people in general. I know there are exceptions, but comparing a hard nosed online only DRM to STEAM was just too far out there for me not to duel.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Shegokigo said:
I know there are exceptions, but comparing a hard nosed online only DRM to STEAM was just too far out there for me not to duel.
Didn't he start out by just saying it's DRM?! Which it is...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

@Li3n said:
Shegokigo said:
I know there are exceptions, but comparing a hard nosed online only DRM to STEAM was just too far out there for me not to duel.
Yes, but I was well aware of his implications, and was proven right in the subsequent posts.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Bowielee said:
Piracy doesn't encourage DRM anywhere near as much as DRM encourages piracy. DRM was made by corporations, for corporations. They were unsatisfied by the fact that only 80% of the people playing their game had purchased it, and so they added DRM to force the last 20% to buy the game. Instead, the pirates continued to pirate and more legit customers got added to the 'pissed off' list. In the meanwhile, 'player friendly' companies which don't use DRM end up paying the price.

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

Shegokigo said:
@Li3n said:
Shegokigo said:
Yes, but I was well aware of his implications, and was proven right in the subsequent posts.
This is JCM... you're giving him too much credit... he just prob reacted (for others it would be overreacted, but you know) to what you said.

@PatrThom

Dude, what where they thinking by allowing all games to connect to their servers?! DotA is huge in the pirate circles, it has like 2x more players then copies of WC3 sold... of course they where all gonna try it out for a few days.

JCM

lol@ above whine.

My apologies for the late reply, three-day EFL teacher´s seminar.
Shegokigo who still hasnt proven DRM works at all said:
JCM said:
It's easy to tell when you're wrong JCM, blablabla doesnt give any argument on where JCM is wrong
I love how you say unrelated stuff like "you are wrong because the grass is green" or "you are wrong because you used three paragraphs". My apologies, but thats not a rebuttal.

I said it doesnt stop piracy, and paying customers have more trouble than pirates. Yeah, youve got a PC with enough RAM to make SecuROM and other DRM unoticable, but the point still sticks, sadly, paying customers still need cd-keys, activations, the game cd and whatever else, to play, in the name of stopping piracy. While pirates get to steal and play without all that crap.
Shegokigo who still hasnt proven DRM works at all said:
JCM said:
tegid said:
Shegokigo said:

If you don't like the "tag" JCM, don't live the lifestyle.
Thanks for proving my point again.:twisted:

I still await for you to show it stops piracy, or has any effect, other than making paying customers jump through more hoops.
PatrThom said:
Bowielee said:
Piracy doesn't encourage DRM anywhere near as much as DRM encourages piracy. DRM was made by corporations, for corporations. They were unsatisfied by the fact that only 80% of the people playing their game had purchased it, and so they added DRM to force the last 20% to buy the game. Instead, the pirates continued to pirate and more legit customers got added to the 'pissed off' list. In the meanwhile, 'player friendly' companies which don't use DRM end up paying the price.
--Patrick
Its common knowledge that-
-DRM is useless at stopping piracy
-Pirates get to play single players with less problems, and no CD-checks (nor the need for a cd), activations or SECUROM
-Some paying customers have turned to piracy due to excess DRM
-Piracy has only increased.

There´s no use for DRM besides giving corporations more rights over paying customers. But forget posting links;

Shegiko will just ignore the facts, say you are wrong and that you must be a pirate, then @Li3n is gonna whine about how you must have had an overreaction. I still await for Shegiko to show DRM stops piracy, or has any effect, other than making paying customers jump through more hoops.

"UR a pirate!!" in 4...3.... :smug:

JCM

tegid said:
Welcome to halforum, or making a strawman when you cant prove that DRM has any use, and does anything but take away rights from paying customers.

And Steam is a form of DRM, as in irights management, as in it checks your activation at first running, and whenever you play online, not to mention several third-party games have other forms of DRM (see links posted when Shegiko again was corrected).
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DRM.html
Short for digital rights management, a system for protecting the copyrights of data circulated via the Internet or other digital media by enabling secure distribution and/or disabling illegal distribution of the data. Typically, a DRM system protects intellectual property by either encrypting the data so that it can only be accessed by authorized users or marking the content with a digital watermark or similar method so that the content can not be freely distributed.

It not a bad system, while I disagree with online activations, but some third-party games do have SecuRom-
JCM said:
Example, GTAIV has securom, as well as many other Steam games-
http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=11
However Steam rocks in telling you which other DRM is there besides steam-

And yes, again STEAM in itself is DRM. You must activate the game online (and in the case of popular games like Half Life 2 at launch, spend days waiting for activation servers to come back online to play), and it checks if you have a legit copy of all your games everytime you turn it on.
Now back again to waiting for anything but :quote: PIRATES! :quote: and ad-homins from @l3an and Shegiko, and not one post proving that DRM in any way works.

@Li3n

@Li3n

For it to be an ad hominem it has to somehow imply you're wrong because of it... otherwise it's just a regular insult. :tongue:

EDIT: and just in case, i agreed that Steam is DRM from the get-go...

JCM

That pretty much describes Shegiko´s :quote: rebuttals :quote:.
Me: DRM doesnt do anything but bother customers, pirates actually enjoy a faster and more hassle-free experience.
Shegiko: UR wrong because u must be a pirate! You must be saying its okay to pirate!

On piracy? Sadly, Im growing too old for piracy, and actually am enjoying putting together a library. Of course, with physical books, cds and BDs, and now Ive dont have time anymore for PC gaming, no DRM at all. (I actually once had a cd for every game with a crack for them)

Not that I wont download a copy of a game, after all its better to carry around an R4 or Memory stick with 10 games than keep swapping them out, you get better battery life and get to mess with homebrew. And sometimes I cant get a movie or game here, so $%#@! you lucky american geeks who have dirt-cheap music, games, movies and books.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Me: DRM doesnt do anything but bother customers, pirates actually enjoy a faster and more hassle-free experience.
Shegiko: UR wrong because u must be a pirate! You must be saying its okay to pirate!
Talk about missing the points all together. That's just par for course with you though. It's alright, try and revert down what I'm saying to whatever your mind percieves it as. It's still the truth.

JCM

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
The truth!!! Whatever that is.
My apologies, ignoring everything posted to scream UR PIRATE!!! and pirates isnt such an enlightening point.

I guess it comes to not being able to handle a debate, and stick up for something (aka DRM), yell that STEAM isnt DRM and doesnt have third-party DRM, without knowing anything at all, then running behind a facade of ad-hominems, then whining about how something you dont tell us is "the truth!!".

Pathetic, how corprate whores are, accepting anything that a company says without reading (and being so blind to not read the links posted all around here)....... pathetic, really.

Now thats the truth.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

:rofl:

You're too much fun JCM. Not much of a conversationalist, but really fun. :slywink:

Chazwozel

JCM said:
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
The truth!!! Whatever that is.
My apologies, ignoring everything posted to scream UR PIRATE!!! and pirates isnt such an enlightening point.

I guess it comes to not being able to handle a debate, and stick up for something (aka DRM), yell that STEAM isnt DRM and doesnt have third-party DRM, without knowing anything at all, then running behind a facade of ad-hominems, then whining about how something you dont tell us is "the truth!!".

Pathetic, how corprate whores are, accepting anything that a company says without reading (and being so blind to not read the links posted all around here)....... pathetic, really.

Now thats the truth.
Dude, I pay my money for Steam or any DRM shit, and I get my product. Everyone's happy. According to you, pirates find ways around the DRM anyway. The reason DRM exists is because of pirates, and the reason pirates pirate is because of limitations on DRM. I don't give two shits about how much third party software Steam runs on my PC. As long as it's not spiderware/spyware crap that slows down my system, they look at my download history all they want. That's not being a whore, that's being apathetic to a non-issue matter. You're not as important as you think and your computer doesn't have FBI classified material on it. Who gives a shit about rootkits, unless they slow your computer down from running in the background?

The only REAL problems I have with DRM shit is, for example, when Apple doesn't allow redownloads of something you paid for. That kind of bullshit right there motivates me to pirate mp3s instead of buying them because I don't have a guarantee on my product. NO, I don't believe it should be my responsibility to back up my music when it's already readily available from another source. Steam lets me buy a game and reinstall it as much as I like under my user ID on any PC anywhere as long as I long in under my name. That's pretty nice and actually better than a physical copy of a game.

Just because I payed for my Steam games doesn't make me a corporate whore, just someone who doesn't want to go through the hassle of pirating shit not worth pirating. Hey...I guess DRM like Steam is working afterall! It works with me enough that I can enjoy the product I payed for without any hassle. And please wrap up the whole offline Steam bullshit. I was playing Monkey Island all night on my laptop the other day with no internet connection. No problems what so ever.

JCM

Chaz.

I said its DRM, but taking away some 3rd-party games, its not bad. And I agree 100% on Apple, I stopped buying their shit this year when I had a company-bought Macbook die on me, and go without any support because my %$^# company lost the receipt. (Is it so hard to check the serial number, or bill me for repair?)

The corporate whore was a dig at Shegiko's labelling anyone who said anything against DRM as Pirates!
Shegokigo said:

You're too much fun JCM. Not much of a conversationalist, but really fun. :slywink:
Not as much as you my fair lady, with a extra serving of pathetic, good to see the familiar Shego hasnt been totally eridicated.

2 pages and you still havent made any point besides ad-hominems and PIRATES!!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Not as much as you my fair lady, with a extra serving of pathetic, good to see the familiar Shego hasnt been totally eridicated.

2 pages and you still havent made any point besides ad-hominems and PIRATES!!
I have no problems playing "last word" with you JCM, I'm on the forum alot more than you. :slywink: I however don't have to resort to put downs. :Leyla:

JCM

Shegokigo said:
I have no problems playing "last word" with you JCM, I'm on the forum alot more than you. :slywink: I however don't have to resort to put downs. :Leyla:
Of course not, after ad-hominems and screaming PIRATES! when asked what your point was, and seeing that you had squat (DRM infringes civil liberty rights, doesnt stop Piracy, actually helps increase, only the paying customer suffers with it), trying a put down would add to the hilarity.

You stay on an internet forum long? Congrats, parents must be proud, but you are no Crone nor Zod. I still await for your point on DRM, but knowing you, its like asking a chimp to write an award-winning movie.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Of course not, after ad-hominems and screaming PIRATES! when asked what your point was, and seeing that you had squat (DRM infringes civil liberty rights, doesnt stop Piracy, actually helps increase, only the paying customer suffers with it), trying a put down would add to the hilarity.

You stay on an internet forum long? Congrats, parents must be proud, but you are no Crone nor Zod. I still await for your point on DRM, but knowing you, its like asking a chimp to write an award-winning movie.
I wasn't "flexing" anything or trying to "prove" anything about being on here longer. Just stating facts. Also, I've been around since Crone and Zod, not sure what that has to do with anything though.

I made my point, but as per usual, you don't read anything written past the first 1-2 sentences before going off on your tangents. :slywink: So if anyone here is chimp like, I'd have to put it against your attention span.

JCM

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:

I wasn't "flexing" anything or trying to "prove" anything about being on here longer. Just stating facts. Also, I've been around since Crone and Zod, not sure what that has to do with anything though.
Really Congrats again, so thats ad-hominems, calling other suers PIRATES! when shown that steam has DRM, DRM doesnt stop piracy and et al, now e-dick showing?
Shegokigo said:
I made my point, but as per usual, you don't read anything written past the first 1-2 sentences before going off on your tangents. :slywink: So if anyone here is chimp like, I'd have to put it against your attention span.
Well, Ive been waiting for a few days already for you to put down that banana, wash your hands and type it, because i didnt see anything beyond "DRM is bucuz of pirates" and "UR a pirate!".

Oh, and giving apologies to the 25% performance of the Morrowind cd-checking, servers halting and the usual stuff. For yet another day, what is your point?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Really Congrats again, so thats ad-hominems, calling other suers PIRATES! when shown that steam has DRM, DRM doesnt stop piracy and et al, now e-dick showing?
You couldn't handle me actually showing off my e-dick. It's jurassic and would make you go insane just by gazing upon it C'thulu style.
JCM said:
Well, Ive been waiting for a few days already for you to put down that banana, wash your hands and type it, because i didnt see anything beyond "DRM is bucuz of pirates" and "UR a pirate!".

Oh, and giving apologies to the 25% performance of the Morrowind cd-checking, servers halting and the usual stuff. For yet another day, what is your point?
My point was simple. I wasn't even talking about DRM past the fact that STEAM isn't much like them other than the fact that it simply requests ONE time for you to log on and show you own the game. After that you can play offline all you like, with no problems/slowdowns, whatever you want to claim.

I was never defending DRMs as a whole, only STEAM's version of authetication. So where you got off on all your other tangents is beyond me, but not surprising. Oh and I said "pirates" because it drives you loony and watching you quote change people in anger is just downright hilarious.

JCM

Steam? Which I mentioned in 2-3 threads that I dont agree with online activation, its better than the others? And you mistakenly said you never needed to be online?

What lame lying cop-out, after-
Shegokigo who never heard of online activations said:
Seriously, same thing here, I can play offline mode without ever getting online.
Shegokigo who needs seriously to travel said:
Unless I way to play in the middle of the rainforest.
shegiko who never read the STEAM EULA or game descriptions said:
Shegokigo who mytholocically think pirates dont crack games said:
Must suck for those who pirate games more than they purchase them huh?
Hey said:
Oh you're totally right, pirates have way more claim to a game than someone who paid for it.
Shegokigo who blames users for buying a game cd early and cant play the game said:
Sad situation, glad you totally understand that some companies have issues with launch days.
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
Shegiko with no point said:
Tegid said:
You're not.
Shegiko at her readiung comprehension best said:
Activation for single-player offline is useless against piracy, because people who pirate already buy cds/get torrents cracked and working, days before paying customers manage to get their game activated.
More hilarity and unclear BS about DRM having any effect on piracy-
Shegokigo said:
tegid said:
Shegokigo who thinks pirates crack games and dont doenload them cracked said:
I'm saying, it wouldn't be required at all if there weren't a certain breed of people out there, and on these boards (who have flaunted it in the past) requiring companies to take those steps. Whether or not there is a "crack out within a couple of days", it deters the less skilled from getting it or even the best "cracks" are glitchy and sometimes bug out is hardly a point for "why bother trying to protect your game?" arguments.
Shegokigo now running away said:
tegid said:
So, I havent found anything but ad-homins, PIRACY!!, users not getting your point, a @l3an handjobbing session, wrong information over and over.

God, I could do this all day, correcting pathetic co-outs, but since you as usual will either try to claim you hage a huge e-peen or whine and say that you werent serious, it´ll do eonugh to repost this over and over till a thread lock.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

And you mistakenly said you never needed to be online?
Cause you don't? Not sure how that's mistaken.
JCM said:
it´ll do eonugh to repost this over and over till a thread lock.
Go ahead, repost all you like: you know for a fact I was egging you on this whole thread for the simple joy of seeing you rage over it. Your quote pyramid there is just the icing on my cake.

JCM

Without me reading, I can bet youre writing some insults and whining "but I was playing" to make the hurt of being spouting BS and posting pathetically. But hey, I do enjoy seeing a chimp pretend he meant to eat the banana he shoved up his own arse. Oh wait, anonymous chimp waggling the banana as if it were an e-peen.

EDIT:Bingo. Now continue dancing!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yet I did write my point, which you as usual, ignored as it's actually distinctly different than your own. :slywink:

JCM

Really? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, same thing here, I can play offline mode without ever getting online.
Hey said:
Oh you're totally right, pirates have way more claim to a game than someone who paid for it.
Shegokigo who blames users for buying a game cd early and cant play the game said:
Sad situation, glad you totally understand that some companies have issues with launch days.
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
Tegid said:
You're not.
Shegiko at her reading comprehension best said:
Activation for single-player offline is useless against piracy, because people who pirate already buy cds/get torrents cracked and working, days before paying customers manage to get their game activated.
Shegokigo still not making any sense said:
tegid said:
Shegokigo who thinks pirates crack games and dont download them cracked said:
tegid said:
God, I could do this all day, correcting pathetic co-outs, but since you as usual will either try to claim you hage a huge e-peen or whine and say that you werent serious, it´ll do enough to repost your "points".

Or laughably claiming up to a page back that Steam wasnt DRM. EDIT:page 3!!!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Shegokigo said:
My point was simple. I wasn't even talking about DRM past the fact that STEAM isn't much like them other than the fact that it simply requests ONE time for you to log on and show you own the game. After that you can play offline all you like, with no problems/slowdowns, whatever you want to claim.

I was never defending DRMs as a whole, only STEAM's version of authetication. So where you got off on all your other tangents is beyond me, but not surprising. Oh and I said "pirates" because it drives you loony and watching you quote change people in anger is just downright hilarious.

JCM

Shegokigo said:
Something that doesnt match up any of her bullshit reposted, making it extra fun seeing the STEAM-ISNT-DRM-theres-no-3rd-party-DRM-wonder, among other BS on piracy, now say that Steam is a DRM.
:rofl: :rofl: :aaahhh:

Love how after screaming PIRATES! defending customers having to wait to polay a cd theyve bought and countless BS defense of SecuROM, now its "I only said Steam was good" (activation and SecuROM in countless games aside)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Shegokigo said:
Something that doesnt match up any of her bullshit reposted, making it extra fun seeing the STEAM-ISNT-DRM-theres-no-3rd-party-DRM-wonder, among other BS on piracy, now say that Steam is a DRM.
:rofl: :rofl: :aaahhh:

Love how after screaming PIRATES! defending customers having to wait to polay a cd theyve bought and countless BS defense of SecuROM, now its "I only said Steam was good" (activation and SecuROM in countless games aside)
Like I said, everything else was egg on your face. :slywink:

JCM

Shegokigo said:
Sure kiddo, whatever you tell yourself to make riding the BS train more comfortable.

Pathetic, and hilarious, thanks for the entertainment.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
hilarious, thanks for the entertainment.
The fact you turn to insults, is just the cherry, on the icing on the cake. Right back at you though. It was a nice fun little time killer.

JCM

Whatever you tell yourself to feel better about writing BS after BS, and making me enjoy laughing at it all, with a +5 bonus for the cop-out, exactly as I said you´d do.

:clap:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Shegokigo said:
So, what exactly was it that JCM said that was wrong? I don't often agree with him, but on this thread he's been right, despite resorting to insults. Steam is DRM, regardless of how it compares to other forms of DRM. Some Steam games contain DRM beyond Steam itself. DRM is more frustrating for consumers than it is for pirates, and has been since the days of code wheels and looking up random words in the manual.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Whatever you tell yourself to feel better about writing BS after BS.

:clap:
Sound like you got a self-mantra going! Self-help is the best kind I always say. Good of you to share with the rest of us though.
figmentPez said:
Shegokigo said:
So, what exactly was it that JCM said that was wrong? I don't often agree with him, but on this thread he's been right, despite resorting to insults. Steam is DRM, regardless of how it compares to other forms of DRM. Some Steam games contain DRM beyond Steam itself. DRM is more frustrating for consumers than it is for pirates, and has been since the days of code wheels and looking up random words in the manual.
Yes, STEAM is DRM, is it as rigid? Not by a long shot. Where DRM comes from is irrefutable. Try and keep up Fig. This isn't for discussion, this is to keep JCM posting. :rofl:

JCM

*bows * What can I say, it pales next to "pirates!" and "I wasnt that stupid, really"

Like I said, try harder, maybe you´ll make it convincing. Now, I´ll leave the last post for your e-peen, as I know the usual anonymous-user/troll-lesbian MUST have a last post, until we go back on-topic.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
*bows * What can I say, it pales next to "pirates!" and "I wasnt that stupid, really"

Like I said, try harder, maybe you´ll make it convincing. Now, I´ll leave the last post for your e-peen, as I know the usual anonymous-user/troll-lesbian MUST have a last post, until we go back on-topic.
Finally! You got it! So kind of you. Thanks JCM, I know how you usually get to do the last one, but I wanted this one. :rofl:

JCM

My apologies e-peen girl. Sadly after some mods asked me to leave Chaz to his own, I´ve been giving the last words to those who need it.
figmentPez said:
Shegokigo said:
Forget it.
She´s like a female Gasbandit

As I bet, she wont be able to say where I was "wrong", thats why she resorted to insults and PIRATES. :aaahhh:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Forget it.
She´s like a female Gasbandit

As I bet, she wont be able to say where I was "wrong", thats why she resorted to insults. :smug:
Who's insulting who? Way to get that one backwards JCM. :heythere:
Also, Gasbandit likes to have conversation. I like to rile your feathers and get you post quote changing, insulting and all in all raging all over threads as well as "last posting".

JCM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Love how you became happy, thinking you´d get last post. Anonymous nerds and their e-peens, eesh.
Shegokigo said:
Blablabla running away from BS, blabla bla crying over post changing
As I said, tell whatever you´d wish was true, my apologies, ad-hominem girl, but you havent convinced anyone that you had a point.

Still not even MajorKhaos level of troll. At least he could feign intelligence while amusing me.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Now, I´ll leave the last post for your e-peen, as I know the usual anonymous-user/troll-lesbian MUST have a last post, until we go back on-topic.
JCM said:
Shegokigo said:
Blablabla running away from BS, blabla bla crying over post changing
As I said, tell whatever you´d wish was true, my apologies, ad-hominem girl, but you havent convinced anyone that you had a point.

Still not even MajorKhaos level of troll. At least he could feign intelligence while amusing me.
Shegokigo said:
I like to rile your feathers and get you post quote changing, insulting and all in all raging all over threads as well as "last posting".
:rofl: :thumbsup:
The day is just flying by! :uhhuh: :thumbsup:

JCM

*hangs last post above troll and watches troll keep biting*
JCM said:
Love how you became happy, thinking you´d get last post. Anonymous nerds and their e-peens, eesh.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey said:
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
Tegid said:
You're not.
tegid said:
tegid said:
God, I could do this all day, correcting pathetic co-outs, but since you as usual will either try to claim you hage a huge e-peen or whine and say that you werent serious, it´ll do enough to repost your "points".

Or laughably claiming up to a page back that Steam wasnt DRM. EDIT:page 3!!!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Om nom nom nom! :zoid:

JCM

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Om nom nom nom! :zoid:
:hump:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
How easy it is to get you to change direction. :slywink:

JCM

*still hangs last post above troll and watches troll keep biting*
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
How easy it is to get you to change direction. :slywink:
I´d hate for you to be playing "pathetic cop-out" alone.

Cat

Cat

It's like watching two snakes competing to see which can consume itself first.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
I´d hate for you to be playing "pathetic cop-out" alone.
I'd for you to stop posting and end my little game at all. :uhhuh:

JCM

JCM said:

Hey said:
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
Tegid said:
You're not.
tegid said:
tegid said:

Or laughably claiming up to a page back that Steam wasnt DRM. EDIT:page 4?!!!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Anonymous nerds? As if you posting anything about yourself makes you non-anon. :rofl:

Also, if you thought I was "happy", I'm alot better at this than I thought. :uhhuh: :thumbsup:
Oh and I can do this all day, everyday, every hour. :smug:

Le Quack

What would it take for you to buy a game JCM?

All I hear about is how you pirate everything.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Le Quack said:

Oh he buys a couple of games every now and then. He's not 100% anti-establishment.

JCM

Shegokigo said:
Le Quack said:

Oh he buys a couple of games every now and then. He's not 100% anti-establishment.
Nothing to do with establishment lover, but avaliability and DRM.
I sure as hell aint waiting for 5 months to get last season´s Dr Who.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Cause lack of availability is the only reason right? :slywink:

Le Quack

JCM said:
Shegokigo said:
Le Quack said:

I sure as * aint waiting for 5 months to get last season´s Dr Who.
So if you are going to pirate stuff anyway, why are you arguing the legitimacy of DRM?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

He's a speaker for the people Quack! He must let the world know of their woes! :tongue:

JCM

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Cause lack of availability is the only reason right? :slywink:
I refuse to buy anything that starts with "X", has been reviewd at exactly 80% by metacritic, or has been published on a day of a full moon.

Just like your roms, right? :slywink:
So if you are going to pirate stuff anyway, why are you arguing the legitimacy of DRM?
Strawman? Just because I download one movie unavaliable here (and buy 5 dvds a week) doesnt mean Im going to pirate something DRM you all so overwhelmingly love, even when unable to refute anything. I just download a crack.

And I just have to keep correcting DRm-loving posters who dont know what DRM is at all, and laughing at how many people, after being unable to prove anything I said is wrong, take to off-topic questioning or insults.

Guess in the age where Amazon can delete the text-to-speech from ebooks that have been bought already by blind people, Im the rare few that like to own what I buy, instead of "renting"

Le Quack

It just seems like stupid propaganda to me, since you are an avid pirater.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
I refuse to buy anything that starts with "X", has been reviewd at exactly 80% by metacritic, or has been published on a day of a full moon.

Just like your roms, right? :slywink:
At least you admit it. :slywink:
JCM said:
Strawman? Just because I download one movie unavaliable here (and buy 5 dvds a week) doesnt man the Rom-in-pcs crowd is any better.
I'm going out on a limb here but I doubt your purchase to download ratio is 5/1. :bush:

JCM said:
I just have to keep correcting idiots who dont know what DRM is, and laughing at how many people, after being unable to prove anything I said is wrong, take to off-topic questioning.
Yet you corrected nothing and all you did was dance beautifully for m.e :zoid:
Le Quack said:
It just seems like stupid propaganda to me, since you are an avid pirater.
Psssst, cause it is. :paranoid:

JCM

Heh, emulating Shegiko now with the strawmen? I probably buy more books, games and dvds than you do (I am raising 3 siblings and am a geek after all), but since Im an "avid-pirater", can I call you "DRM-worshipper"?

After all, off-topic insulting is the only way to go, since one cant refute any of the stuff posted in the first page.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Heh, emulating Shegiko now with the strawmen? I probably buy more books, games and dvds than you do (I am raising 3 siblings and am a geek after all), but since Im an "avid-pirater", can I call you "DRM-worshipper"?

After all, off-topic insulting is the only way to go, since one cant refute any of the stuff posted in the first page.
Shegokigo said:
I'm going out on a limb here but I doubt your purchase to download ratio is 5/1. :bush:
JCM said:
Pssst, the only person being degrading/insultive this whole thread is you. :slywink:

JCM

Pssst, the only person being degrading/insultive this whole thread is you.
Really?

If I remember right, you were the one screaming out pirate! and writing offtopic posts insulting me, with countless users asking what is your point, and if you had any?

Shegokigo said:
At least you admit it. :slywink:

Of course you are going to do so, after all the incorrect stuff you had me laught at, but since you DRM-defending (and yet, ROM pirating) people are so curious, I do buy at an average 5 movies and a book or two weekly (more whenever there is a sale), so thats more bought than downloaded.

TV shows and old console ROMS? Guilty as charged.
PSP and DS? Depends on avaliability.

Now please, do continue, its a breath fo fresh air after having to correct you every post. Now, may I ask what is your ratio, and how many ROMS and MP3s do you and LeQuack have?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Really?

If I remember right, you were the one screaming out pirate! and writing offtopic posts insulting me, with countless users asking what is your point, and if you had any?
But JCM, if pirating to stick it to the man is so "ok" why would you take "pirate" as an insult? :rofl: Oh and please go digging around the thread to find these "offtopic posts insulting" that I did to you. Come on now, get moving. Hunt boy! Hunt!

JCM said:
Of course you are going to do so, after all the incorrect stuff you had me laught at, but since you DRM-defending (and yet, ROM pirating) people are so curious, I do buy at an average 5 movies and a book or two weekly (more whenever there is a sale), so thats more bought than downloaded.
I'm trying to figure how where I said I didn't download stuff? Hm, I don't play the "Oh my god, don't call me a pirate!" shtick the way you do.
JCM said:
Now please, do continue, its a breath fo fresh air after having to correct you every post. Now, may I ask what is your ratio, and how many ROMS and MP3s do you and LeQuack have?
You haven't corrected a silly thing in this whole thread JCM. You've danced quite predictably though.

JCM

Not telling me about your ROMs, are you? Because fair Shego,it seems idiotic for someone who breaks copyright as much as I do to rely on pirate, and I didnt insult anything beyond your level.

My apologies if you got so sensitive over it, I´ll play nicer next time, if it got you that riled (to the point of now saying Team is DRM)
Shegiko said:
You haven't corrected a silly thing in this whole thread JCM
Still drunk after answering countless posters who still didnt get your point? *sigh* Again we go and pass your wall of rather incorrrect BS, worse than youtube comments.

Hey said:
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
Tegid said:
You're not.
tegid said:
tegid said:
But as I said, apologies for replying to your off-topic insulting and that it got you so upset, and I´ll be glad to let you believe that you didnt entertain me writing BS for a few pages.

Whatever you believe girl.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Not telling me about your ROMs, are you? Because fair Shego,it seems idiotic for someone who breaks copyright as much as I do to rely on pirate, and I didnt insult anything beyond your level.

My apologies if you got so sensitive over it, I´ll play nicer next time, if it got you that riled (to the point of now saying Team is DRM)
Way to double fail. I'm telling you all about my ROMs, I'm admitting them freely (for the 2nd time now) and you didn't insult anything beyond my level? "pathetic/idiotic etc" That's a bit beyond saying "pirate" don't you think?
Riled me up JCM? Oh don't you wish. Seeing you go "raaaaaage" all over this thread while I pulled the strings though. That was awesome.
JCM said:
But as I said, apologies for replying to your off-topic insulting and that it got you so upset, and I´ll be glad to let you believe that you didnt entertain me writing BS for a few pages.

Whatever you believe girl.
I even got you to hunt for insults (cracks the whip) but sadly you came up with nothing beyond me calling you a pirate. Which for some reason you take as an insult, even though you do it openly.

See, when someone calls me one I say "Arrrr matey!" instead of trying to deny or justify it as you do.

JCM

Shegokigo said:
I even got you to hunt for insults (cracks the whip).
I just reposted your rather incorrect stupidity, while I ahve no problem in admitting I download stuff, you seem to be very sensitive over me carring you incorrect and wrong with everything that you posted above.

My apologies, I never knew you would get so sensitive, or would turn around and claim that something you said wasnt DRM suddenly was. Its okay to admit it, but its to make up another reality in which you didnt write all the following (and more)
Shegiko said:
You haven't corrected a silly thing in this whole thread JCM
Still drunk after answering countless posters who still didnt get your point? *sigh* Again we go and pass your wall of rather incorrrect BS, worse than youtube comments.

Hey said:
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
UR WRONG!!!!
Tegid said:
You're not.
tegid said:
tegid said:
Apologies for making fun of you being wrong. :uhhuh:

Le Quack

Really, I only say it because it makes you biased.

A biased opinion isn't one I can trust to make a non biased decision.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
I just reposted your rather incorrect stupidity, while I ahve no problem in admitting I download stuff, you seem to be very sensitive over me carring you incorrect and wrong with everything that you posted above.
Then you fail at reading comprehension and post interpretation. :rofl: Cause all you did was exactly what I told you to do, on command at that. (cracks the whip again)

JCM said:
My apologies, I never knew you would get so sensitive, or would turn around and claim that something you said wasnt DRM suddenly was. Its okay to admit it, but its to make up another reality in which you didnt write all the following (and more)Apologies for making fun of you being wrong. :uhhuh:
You didn't even come close to "making me sensitive" or "hurt". Not even the same zip code as either of those. Though you do beautifully jump through hoops held up for you. :rofl: You didn't prove anything wrong because there was no discussion. Everything I wrote in this thread was about 98% to get you to raaaaaage and it went swimmingly.

*holds up another hoop*
Cmon boy, you can do it! :rofl:

JCM

I WASNT WRONG I WAS PRETENDING TO BE WRONG AND STUPID and Jump hoops
Sorry, I dont know where that hoop has been, but again, while we both share the fact we pirate, but you were wrong, over and over. And entertained me, specially that post after I made you believe you´d get the last post.

Pretending that you werent that idiotic because of a soreness over losing,god, thats the most pathetic Ive seen in a while. Its like watching Osama cry "I WASNT WRONG! I WAS JUST PRETENDING TO THINK THE US WAS THE GREAT SATAN", again, Im sorry babygirl, I never knew you would get so sensitive, or would turn around and claim that something you said wasnt DRM suddenly was. Its okay to admit it, but its to make up another reality in which you didnt write all the following (and more)Apologies for making fun of you being wrong[/quote].
Le Quack said:

As you havent read the thread, I just corrected Shegiko[s posts with stuff like STEAM isnt DRM, and that there isnt third-party DRM. And I have said-
JCM said:
I dont play PC games anymore
JCM said:
I said its DRM, but taking away some 3rd-party games, its not bad. And I agree 100% on Apple, I stopped buying their shit this year when I had a company-bought Macbook die on me, and go without any support because my %$^# company lost the receipt. (Is it so hard to check the serial number, or bill me for repair?)

But hey, great posts have been made by other posters against DRM-
Bubble181 said:
No offense Chaz, but you're coming off as the dick in the discussion. I play games off line almost exclusively. I don't care for other people in my games, I get enough crap from people as is. I play solely single player, and I'll be damned if I need a net connection for it. I regularly buy games then crack them simply to avoid the need for a net connection. i use my computer quite extensively away from the 'net. Your \"solution\" works in one country, which isn't really all that useful. I regularly play in three different countries, I don't intend to get internet abonnements for each one; especially since they cost an arm and a leg in two of those three (the brits are lucky and the yanks even more so.)

And, DRM means Digital Rights Management. ANY way in which a publisher tries to limit what you can do with digital stuff you purchased is DRM. Yes, down to CD keys and \"what is the 7th word of page 15 of the manual\" from the days of yore. Whether or not all DRM is bad is another debate, but claiming these things aren't DRM is simply trying to alter the definition of the word
Viggs said:
Cat said:
My experience: When I moved back to college last January, I was without internet access for a month and had absolutely no problems playing my games.

JCM said:
This is true, but I guess this may or may not be an issue depending on the situation. In my particular case I am the only one in my residence with any interest in games. I could see this being an issue for other people, tho.
Bowielee said:
The only CD copy game that I purchased that required me to be on steam was Dawn of War 2 and that had ten tons of trouble.

If one were to make a case as to why DRM is bad, that's a perfect one. There are not 1, not 2, but 3 seperate DRMs on the game. One for each company involved in the distribution, and it was, quite frankly, a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

No one is saying that DRM is awsome. Anyone saying that would be stupid, or a liar.
PatrThom said:
Bowielee said:

--Patrick
figmentPez said:
So, what exactly was it that JCM said that was wrong? I don't often agree with him, but on this thread he's been right. Steam is DRM, regardless of how it compares to other forms of DRM. Some Steam games contain DRM beyond Steam itself. DRM is more frustrating for consumers than it is for pirates, and has been since the days of code wheels and looking up random words in the manual.
The points still stand-
-STEAM is DRM
-You need to activate online a physical game disc (most here are against this, some not)
-Some Steam games have SecuROM
-DRM hasnt been proven to deter pirates, and piracy has only increased
-Sone gamers have started pirating because of DRM
-Pirates play cracked games with less hassle than paying customers.

Feel free to accuse everyone of bias while not refuting anything.

*holds last post and whistles for Shegiko* COME GIRL!!!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Sorry, I dont know where that hoop has been, but again, while we both share the fact we pirate, but you were wrong, over and over.

Pretending that you werent that idiotic because of a soreness over losing,god, thats the most pathetic Ive seen in a while. Its like watching Osama cry "I WASNT WRONG! I WAS JUST PRETENDING TO THINK THE US WAS THE GREAT SATAN"
Is it really that hard on you realizing you were dragged along this whole thread, kicking and screaming? You know why so many people dropped off this conversation/thread? I was in Private Messages with alot of them before this thread really took off, with little messages "Watch how I get JCM pissed off with this next post" and having a laugh in PMs every other post you replied to. :rofl:
JCM said:
The points still stand-
-STEAM is DRM
-You need to activate online a physical game disc (most here are against this, some not)

Feel free to accuse everyone of bias while not refuting anything (and according to the do you pirtae thread, nobody has never pirated here).
Steam is DRM. Yes you have to activate online a physical game disc. Some Steam games have SecuROM. All of that I'm with you 100%, but they're such hot buttons for you I can't help but just egg you on, it's just too easy.

DRM exists because of pirates, it's just that simple. It's not a hard concept to grasp. Is it right? Does it work? Is it successful? Nope. Is it there because of them? Yep.

Funny thing is I agree with you on alot of these points, I usually do as you've noticed how I get along with you and defend you in so many other threads.

I just couldn't help but making you go batshit crazy with rage this thread though. :rofl:

So keep on post quote changing/post name changing/insulting left and right when noonelse has been insultive, and all in all just keep being such a great time killer inbetween raid down times for me. :rofl: :uhhuh:

JCM

JCM said:
Good girl!

Gives a pat
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Sorry, I dont know where that hoop has been, but again, while we both share the fact we pirate, but you were wrong, over and over.

Pretending that you werent that idiotic because of a soreness over losing,god, thats the most pathetic Ive seen in a while. Its like watching Osama cry "I WASNT WRONG! I WAS JUST PRETENDING TO THINK THE US WAS THE GREAT SATAN"
I WASNT WRONG! I WAS JUST PRETENDING TO THINK THE US WAS THE GREAT SATAN
Aww.

Self denial and overeaction is so cute to watch.
[quote="Shegiko"
JCM said:
The points still stands-
-STEAM is DRM

Feel free to accuse everyone of bias while not refuting anything (and according to the do you pirtae thread, nobody has never pirated here).
Steam is DRM. Yes you have to activate online a physical game disc. Some Steam games have SecuROM. All of that I'm with you 100%, but they're such hot buttons for you I can't help but just egg you on, it's just too easy.[/quote]Aww, another reversal?

damn, the way you overreacted and started screaming PIRAAATES!! made me think your lover was a RIAA lawyer or something, of course you werent dragged for 4 pages, exactly like I said I did. Of course your entertainiming me and idiotic rants made for great reading here, but hey, how many times do I have to apologize for making you, after the entire thread disagree with your points, turn around and say Lolz! it was a joke.

Sorry for your oversensitiveness, and you having to reverse everything you said,I´ll always remember the easiness it was to
-correct you,
-have you reverse all you said
-cry over returns of snarkiness and insults
-STILL be my bitch in hopes for a last post.

*throws post again to Shegiko*
Now fetch!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Aww.

Oh I agree, you should see the PMs I've been getting this entire thread and have continued getting in response to how crazy I've made you get and continue to drag you along in this thread.
JCM said:
Of course your entertainiming me and idiotic rants made for great reading here, but hey, how many times do I have to apologize for making you, after the entire thread disagree with your points, turn around and say Lolz! it was a joke.
The only one getting a kick out of this is me, also there was no "turn around" like you want to believe. I've been playing with you since the beginning as everyone in my PM box right now knows. The only one out of the loop and being made fun of is you JCM. :rofl:
JCM said:
Sorry for your oversensitiveness, and you having to reverse everything you said,I´ll always remember the easiness it was to
-correct you,
I'm still trying to figure out where you get me "crying" and "overly" sensitive. The only one getting emotional this whole thread has been you JCM, just you raaaaaging every post.

*holds the hoop*
Cmon JCM, jump jump!

JCM

Aww, my girl not only can be proven wrong, reverse everything and obey me, now she can also hold a hoop?
JCM said:
Good girl!
AGAIN, FOR ANOTHER 4 PAGES!!

Gives a pat
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:

I WASNT WRONG! I WAS JUST PRETENDING TO THINK THE US WAS THE GREAT SATAN
Aww.

[quote="Shegiko"
JCM said:
The points still stands-
-STEAM is DRM

Steam is DRM. Yes you have to activate online a physical game disc. Some Steam games have SecuROM. All of that I'm with you 100%, but they're such hot buttons for you I can't help but just egg you on, it's just too easy.[/quote]Aww, another reversal?

damn, the way you overreacted and started screaming PIRAAATES!! made me think your lover was a RIAA lawyer or something, of course you werent dragged for 4 pages, exactly like I said I did. Of course your entertainiming me and idiotic rants made for great reading here, but hey, how many times do I have to apologize for making you, after the entire thread disagree with your points, turn around and say Lolz! it was a joke.

-correct you,

*throws post again to Shegiko*
Now fetch!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Does it really bother you that much to be at the butt end of a joke JCM? That you go into complete denial that it's happening, even right in front of you?

You get so emotional, you turn to insults, image posts, rage in every post, I can't believe you let me get to you like that.

I haven't been the least bit insultive and played with you all thread long and you still just don't get it. :facepalm:

JCM

Shego, does it really bother you that much to be at the butt end of a joke Shego? And still be wrong? And stillhave to go into complete denial that it's happening, even right in front of you?

You get so emotional, you turn to insults, handjobbing offtopic posters, emoticons, emotion in every post, I can't believe you let me get to you like that for 4 pages, and still reverted and said I was right, you were wrong, and now entertain me.

I haven't been the least bit insultive and played with you all thread long and you still just don't get it.

Now go fetch! One day you´ll be like crone and Zod.

BTW:Thanks for hopping over to the other thread when I called you.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Shego, does it really bother you that much to be at the butt end of a joke Shego? And still be wrong? And stillhave to go into complete denial that it's happening, even right in front of you?

You get so emotional, you turn to insults, handjobbing offtopic posters, emoticons, emotion in every post, I can't believe you let me get to you like that for 4 pages, and still reverted and said I was right, you were wrong, and now entertain me.

I haven't been the least bit insultive and played with you all thread long and you still just don't get it.
Cmon JCM, you can play better than that. You realize that didn't make the least bit of sense and I got two PMs saying "what was that even supposed to mean?" I gotta agree with them, what did that mean? You going that nuts over this?

JCM

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:

Cmon JCM, you can play better than that. You realize that didn't make the least bit of sense and I got two PMs saying "what was that even supposed to mean?" I gotta agree with them, what did that mean? You going that nuts over this?
Funnily, I got my visiting workmates here wondering what was wrong with you, Luiza laughing at the dog and still, several posters here asking what the hell was wrong with you.

Your PIRATE! fails as we´re both pirating, and your "playing!" fails too when I said a few pages back that you´ll probably not refute, then stick to offtopic posts up to a few pages. Sad when your own game fails and you end up being played the same way, if it is a game, if not, having an argument and having to say that you agree with all my points.

Now, I´ve gotta crash, thanks for playing, and the entertainment, my fair lady.
Till tomorrow.

*throws Frisbee again* :slywink:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
Funnily, I got my visiting workmates here wondering what was wrong with you, Luiza laughing at the dog and still, several posters here asking what the hell was wrong with you.
Nothing wrong with me, I'm not the one exploding off because they're being made fun of. :rofl:
Oh and you have your GF over and workmates, and you spend hours responding to troll posts? :bush: I can't figure out which is funnier. :rofl:
JCM said:
Your PIRATE! fails as we´re both pirating, and your "playing!" dfails too when I said a few pages back that you´ll probably not refute, then stick to offtopic posts up to page 4 or later. Sad when your own game fails and you end up being played the same way, if it is a game, if not, having a pathetic arguement and having to say that you agree with all my points.
PIRATE! Was never my form/intention of having a conversation. Not sure why you're still bringing it up.I wasn't making any points, I wasn't refuting anything. I was dragging you along, to my and a few others amusement. Nothing more. Seriously, just get it JCM.
JCM said:
Now, I´ve gotta crash, thanks for playing, and the entertainment, my fair lady. Till tomorrow.
I'll be here for quite a few more hours, enjoying every minute of how well you played the game. Sadly your entertainment came from "not getting the joke" for about 5 pages. :rofl:

JCM

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Nothing wrong with me, I'm not the one exploding off because they're being made fun of. :rofl:
Oh and you have your GF over and workmates, and you spend hours responding to troll posts? :bush: I can't figure out which is funnier. :rofl:
JCM said:
Your PIRATE! fails as we´re both pirating, and your "playing!" dfails too when I said a few pages back that you´ll probably not refute, then stick to offtopic posts up to page 4 or later. Sad when your own game fails and you end up being played the same way, if it is a game, if not, having a pathetic arguement and having to say that you agree with all my points.
PIRATE! Was never my form/intention of having a conversation. Not sure why you're still bringing it up.I wasn't making any points, I wasn't refuting anything. I was dragging you along, to my and a few others amusement. Nothing more. Seriously, just get it JCM.
JCM said:
Now, I´ve gotta crash, thanks for playing, and the entertainment, my fair lady. Till tomorrow.
I'll be here for quite a few more hours, enjoying every minute of how well you played the game. Sadly your entertainment came from "not getting the joke" for about 5 pages. :rofl:
About a bit more than you, my faithful companion. 5 pages of you answering every time I threw you a bone, still having to say I was right and jump to another thread at my beck and call.

Man, I could teach your lesbian lover how to make you jump, post, lie down, and change places.

Night ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

JCM said:
About a bit more than you, my faithful companion. 5 pages of you answering every time I threw you a bone, still having to say I was right and jump to another thread at my beck and call.
Cute how you started "throwing the bone" after I had you "jumping through hoops" long before you even knew it was happening. :slywink:

Didn't you say "goodnight" in your last post? :rofl:

Le Quack

This is the most immature thing I've seen in awhile.

Grow up JCM.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

NO U!

Jesus Christ.

JCM

Shego, cute how you started "putting the hoop" after I had you "post BS sine page two" long before you even knew it was happening, heck, Ive even sent an apology pm to some mods back on page 1, because I would make you post for several pages :slywink:

Didn't you say "handjob" LeQuack in your last post?

Le Quack said:
*Stops handjobbing Shego* This is the most immature thing I've seen in awhile.

Grow up LeQuack.
Sorry, you are "too biased" to say that.

Grow up, :tina:
JCM said:
I WASNT WRONG I WAS PRETENDING TO BE WRONG AND STUPID and Jump hoops
Sorry, I dont know where that hoop has been, but again, while we both share the fact we pirate, but you were wrong, over and over. And entertained me, specially that post after I made you believe you´d get the last post.

Pretending that you werent that idiotic because of a soreness over losing,god, thats the most pathetic Ive seen in a while. Its like watching Osama cry "I WASNT WRONG! I WAS JUST PRETENDING TO THINK THE US WAS THE GREAT SATAN", again, Im sorry babygirl, I never knew you would get so sensitive, or would turn around and claim that something you said wasnt DRM suddenly was. Its okay to admit it, but its to make up another reality in which you didnt write all the following (and more)Apologies for making fun of you being wrong
Le Quack said:

As you havent read the thread, I just corrected Shegiko[s posts with stuff like STEAM isnt DRM, and that there isnt third-party DRM. And I have said-
JCM said:
JCM said:

Bubble181 said:
No offense Chaz, but you're coming off as the dick in the discussion. I play games off line almost exclusively. I don't care for other people in my games, I get enough crap from people as is. I play solely single player, and I'll be damned if I need a net connection for it. I regularly buy games then crack them simply to avoid the need for a net connection. i use my computer quite extensively away from the 'net. Your \"solution\" works in one country, which isn't really all that useful. I regularly play in three different countries, I don't intend to get internet abonnements for each one; especially since they cost an arm and a leg in two of those three (the brits are lucky and the yanks even more so.)

And, DRM means Digital Rights Management. ANY way in which a publisher tries to limit what you can do with digital stuff you purchased is DRM. Yes, down to CD keys and \"what is the 7th word of page 15 of the manual\" from the days of yore. Whether or not all DRM is bad is another debate, but claiming these things aren't DRM is simply trying to alter the definition of the word
Viggs said:
Cat said:

JCM said:
Bowielee said:

PatrThom said:
Bowielee said:

--Patrick
figmentPez said:
So, what exactly was it that JCM said that was wrong? I don't often agree with him, but on this thread he's been right. Steam is DRM, regardless of how it compares to other forms of DRM. Some Steam games contain DRM beyond Steam itself. DRM is more frustrating for consumers than it is for pirates, and has been since the days of code wheels and looking up random words in the manual.
The points still stand-
-STEAM is DRM

Feel free to accuse everyone of bias while not refuting anything.[/quote]

@Li3n

@Li3n

OK people, the "Don't feed JCM!" signs are there for a reason dammit...

And again JCM, just because i'm insulting you doesn't mean i agree with her, or that i'm arguing with you...

And @l3an?! where did that come from?

JCM

Not my fault your name is too L33T for me, and I cant be bothered with yet another anonymous traumatized kid who I probably wont see a few years down.

And like I mentioned in my pm and in the beginning, Shego and the trauma victims cant stop posting, heck, what matters is that I was right, Shego was wrong and still is my bitch, and you people keep proving my *stupid people with nothing to prove will keep posting-offtopic* theory over and over.

*waits for Shego & stooges to come back with frisbee.

Chazwozel

@Li3n

@Li3n

JCM said:
Not my fault your name is too L33T for me, and I cant be bothered with yet another anonymous traumatized kid who I probably wont see a few years down.
And you couldn't spell it normally!? Or copypasta it?! You didn't use to be this sloppy...

But let me apologise for my future absence at your death bed... :eyeroll: it's just that i'm too traumatized to form any long term relationships with people on internet forums that live on the other side of the planet...

JCM

@Li3n said:
And you couldn't spell it normally!? Or copypasta it?! You didn't use to be this sloppy...

But let me apologise for my future absence at your death bed... :eyeroll: it's just that i'm too traumatized to form any long term relationships with people on internet forums that live on the other side of the planet...
Sorry, I cant be bothered to check for the spelling of some trolling forumite with no opinion or arguement, who just enters a thread to directly whine. Dont worry, Im sure you cut in real conversations to whine about one of the speakers.

Feel free to invade another conversation ala LeQuack and whine about something, then take to ad-homins and derogatory posts. Now for more posts from Shego, who after being my bitch and bringing this thread to 4 more pages like I told her, and saying I was right, now will try to post some one-liners to make me laugh even more.

Now entertain me.
:popcorn:

Le Quack

I'd just like to appologize to every! It was my goal to make JCM post the same thing over and over again!

Mission Accomplished!

I was issuing those questions as an outside observer, not as a shego sympathizer. The fact that you think anyone that doesnt accept 100% of what you say is a loser, is immature. I also thought it was strange that such an avid pirater would wonder why people would question his points and facts because of the obvious bias. JCM is known for many things, but keeping facts and personal opinion separate, is not one of them. This is merely another instance of the same formula that JCM presents.

I only WISH I could act and behave with HALF the audacity that he does. That way, I could live in his online fantasy world where he, apparently, is king.

I think its funny that JCM of all people bitches about ad hominem when his hipocrisy is plastered over the passed few thread pages. JCM's last post boggles my mind as he just keeps throwing himself in this self righteous light anytime he even vaguely feels threatened. Pretending to put his control over us by saying commands like "entertain me."

I pose this to you JCM; Take your childish and slanderous arguments elsewhere. To even begin to think you are better than us makes my eyes water with tears.

Go on and edit my post before posting more arrogant ego masturbation.

JCM

Good boy!
Just like I said, LeQuack would post ad-homins all the way to high heavens.
Le Quack said:
Of course you, Shego and L3an were trolling. On-topic, I was right. The end,

Why is your post so emotional and enraged? After all, you, Shego and Lian are the ones whining insults, Im merely replying. Its just the internet, fucking virgin, get a life.

Now awaiting for more drama llamas to entertain me, its like dessert after being right, having crybabies whine over and over.
Fetch trolls!

@Li3n

@Li3n

JCM said:
Sorry, I cant be bothered to check for the spelling of some trolling forumite with no opinion or argument, who just enters a thread to directly whine. Dont worry, Im sure you cut in real conversations to whine about one of the speakers.

Feel free to invade another conversation ala LeQuack and whine about something, then take to ad-homins and derogatory posts.
How can i make ad hominem if i'm not arguing with the person i'm derogating?!

And i guess if i wasn't arguing with you my contributions to the thread where whining... i just didn't realise that yet. I'll do better next time, i promise.

JCM said:
See, now that's better.

Also, i knew this one would come in handy soon:

I also thought it was strange that such an avid pirater would wonder why people would question his points and facts because of the obvious bias.
Eh, dude, pointing out someone's bias isn't a logical way to counter their arguments... because it ignores the arguments themselves. It's saying "you have a reason to lie" without actually proving he is or isn't.

Why he would wonder that people use fallacies, well that's another questions.

Le Quack

Just like I predicted! JCM will continue to say nothing!

Mr_Chaz

Am I allowed to ask JCM an honest question about his opinions? Or am I not important enough to be noticed in the future oh holy one?

Anyway, the question: You don't like the fact that Steam makes you activate a game online the first time you play it, even if you have bought a legal copy. Fine, I agree.

But... You say that the use of this, and other forms of DRM, makes you download cracks to play games that you've bought.

How is being online to download a crack any different from being online to activate?

Just wonderin' is all.

JCM

@Li3n said:
JCM said:
Sorry, I cant be bothered to check for the spelling of some trolling forumite with no opinion or argument, who just enters a thread to directly whine. Dont worry, Im sure you cut in real conversations to whine about one of the speakers.

Feel free to invade another conversation ala LeQuack and whine about something, then take to ad-homins and derogatory posts.
How can i make ad hominem if i'm not arguing with the person i'm derogating?!
Well Lian, seeing you were the only one who actually managed to show a bit of intelligence, here's wiki-

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim

I was right on all points on DRM.
Even that "lesbian" reverted back and agreed. Everyone then took to the typical "when wrong, attack the person", not that I mind, its like dessert after winning an arguement and aving noone able to refute your points, have people run to a thread to cry. It also happens to me a lot in debate club, RL. The other side loses, cant prove anything I said was wrong, so they start cursing and saying derigatory remarks.

Its what most humans do.
JCM said:
See, now that's better.[/quote]I'll stick to Lian then *bows*
@Li3n said:
I also thought it was strange that such an avid pirater would wonder why people would question his points and facts because of the obvious bias.
Eh, dude, pointing out someone's bias isn't a logical way to counter their arguments... because it ignores the arguments themselves. It's saying "you have a reason to lie" without actually proving he is or isn't.
Psst, he wasnt serious, just trolling. I posted excerpts from everybody else on DRM, saying the same thing as me, and according to the "Do you pirate?" thread, everyone seems as much an "avid pirater" as me but for a few.

All the points stand, and havent been refuted.
-STEAM is DRM (unlike everyone in page 1 seemed to think)
-Some gamers have started pirating because of DRM

If Shego and LeQuack obey me and do entertain me in such an emotional and funnyway for a few more pages is just icing on the cake, after all, its nice to see people unable to argue stick to deragotary posts because they cant refute anything.

*claps hands for Shego and LeQuack to keep dancing*
Cmon retards, its amazing how many posts I can keep you retards making, without refuting anything in this thread!

Le Quack

Why he would wonder that people use fallacies, well that's another questions.

I get it. It's just that JCM will never argue anything. Furthermore, I wasn't arguing for DRM, like JCM was trying to push down my throat. I was merely commenting that you can't trust someone who isn't taking something from a non-biased point. Therefore, avid piraters, and people who love DRM aren't the best people to have in this argument purely because credibility can't be established.

Just like when JCM says "DRM isn't for keeping pirates away, it's a way for the companies to control their products." That statement is a complete biased opinion. That is his argument. But instead, he argues that "DRM" is bad. Its easy to see where someone would get those mixed up. The problem is that his initial statement is whacked job conspiracy nut bullshit, and he argues a whole other point. Evidence for one is not evidence for another. I do argree that DRM is annoying, but to go completely paranoid and say its a way for companies to control the product? That's just silly. It doesn't even make sense. Why would the companies want to control it, if not to avoid pirates? DRM was made to keep pirates away, and it failed. But unless taken to the extreme (IE, Bioshock on release), there's really nothing to be pissed about. They just want a verification.

Just like when you lose something valuable and someone finds it. They want proof that it's actually yours and you aren't just trying to steal it. DRM was the proverbial lost and found guardian. Buying a game, and having you verify your purchase is just there to make sure the person that actually bought it, has the product. It isn't some grand scheme to keep gamers down. There is ZERO reason for gaming companies to do anything that JCM is suggesting they want to do.

EDIT: I took this from the other thread.
JCM said:
Its now more "what can we get away in controlling our stuff" than "stopping pirates"
I don't believe you; show me proof.

JCM

Heh, guess LeQuack hasnt seen the "how much do you pirate" thread?

I still await you to refute ANYTHING, instead of babbling and saying nothing at all.
Mr_Chaz said:
Am I allowed to ask JCM an honest question about his opinions? Or am I not important enough to be noticed in the future oh holy one?

Anyway, the question: You don't like the fact that Steam makes you activate a game online the first time you play it, even if you have bought a legal copy. Fine, I agree.

But... You say that the use of this, and other forms of DRM, makes you download cracks to play games that you've bought.

How is being online to download a crack any different from being online to activate?
I have no qulams with STEAM, just correcting the people who said it want DRM.

One buys a pirate game already cracked, or with the crack in the cd.
Most games on torrent sites have the crack/keygen along with the game.

Of course, some people might copy a mate's legit copy, but avid pirates pretty much get everything in their hands.

Le Quack

Please read what I just posted. If I still haven't tried to refute any part of the argument as a whole, I'll stop.

JCM

Okay, but first on the bias arguement, I still havent got your reply on the overall forum view.
And on the "avid pirater", looking at my poll, Im about as pirate as most here.

JCM\" said:
JCM said:
JCM said:

Bubble181 said:

Viggs said:
Cat said:

JCM said:
Bowielee said:

PatrThom said:
Bowielee said:

--Patrick
figmentPez said:
The points still stand (with Shego now agreeing with them) :smug:

-STEAM is DRM (unlike Shego and gang in page 1 believed)
-Some gamers have started pirating because of DRM
-Most pirates play cracked games with less hassle than paying customers.

Anything Ive said besides that is personal opinion, and will gladly accept a differing opinion.

Le Quack

I would have appreciated it if you didn't post the same thing over and over again. I want you to answer MY argument. I'm not here to answer yours.

JCM

Hmm, love wikipedia's page on ad-hominems.

A debate is a two-way road LeQuack, in RL entering a thread, insulting someone then running away from questions, while demanding someone read a post probably full of derogatory remarks would get you kicked out of the debate.

Not that it doesn't happen, as Ive said, its normal for people to take to ad-hominems and derogatory attacks when one cant beat him in an argument.

You made a bias claim a page back, and haven't answered other posters saying the exact same thing (and as of page 4, with Shego agreeing to all my points). refute any of those points, or be a gentleman and retract that useless "bias!" attack, after all, most forumites are as much pirates as I am, and the points havent been refuted.

@Li3n

@Li3n

JCM said:
Well Lian, seeing you were the only one who actually managed to show a bit of intelligence, here's wiki-

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim

I was right on all points on DRM.
Even that "lesbian" reverted back and agreed. Everyone then took to the typical "when wrong, attack the person", not that I mind, its like dessert after winning an arguement and aving noone able to refute your points, have people run to a thread to cry. It also happens to me a lot in debate club, RL. The other side loses, cant prove anything I said was wrong, so they start cursing and saying derigatory remarks.

Its what most humans do.
Yeah, but as i was just insulting you without arguing (i had told Shego she's wrong about Steam on the 1st page or so, while also underhandedly insulting you) i found it illogical for you to just lump me in with Shego....

Also, if you're gonna accuse people of trolling, netiquette demands that you stop feeding them afterwards...

I was merely commenting that you can't trust someone who isn't taking something from a non-biased point.
Then you can't trust anyone...

But an argument shouldn't be about trust, but logical arguments and provable facts...

JCM

True, but I like debate much, and we do sometimes keep the opponent screaming after being able to refute your points.

Sadly, I have been as much of a troll as you, Shego and LeQuack, at page 1 I already sent pms to the mods apologizing for the oncoming pages that would follow (as its against the rules to turn a thread to a personal fight like Shego wanted, its a formality to let a mod know and should he want, ask you to stop).

But then Im in bed with flu and constant humm of the nebulizer, so was a good time-waster.

Then you can't trust anyone...

But an argument shouldn't be about trust, but logical arguments and provable facts...
Bingo.

Which is why he wont answer or refute anything.
Theres a poll showing that most here pirate as much as I do. There are posts from other posters here saying the same points Im making.

When you cant attack the arguement, attack the man. Welcome to the world of ad-hominem.

Another example-
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html
Bill: \"I believe that abortion is morally wrong.\"
Dave: \"Of course you would say that, you're a priest.\"
Bill: \"What about the arguments I gave to support my position?\"
Dave: \"Those don't count. Like I said, you're a priest, so you have to say that abortion is wrong. Further, you are just a lackey to the Pope, so I can't believe what you say.\"
Anyway, thanks for the entertainment. :smug:

Le Quack

My debate is not that DRM is bad.

Actually, let's say it is bad. DRM is bad at doing it's job: to stop pirates.
People want to blame the companies for cracking down, but in the end, it is always the pirate's fault. People get mad at the wrong people. If legitimate consumers want less hassle, stop people from pirating. No matter how much it annoys us you still can't blame the company. The DRM would not be there if not for the pirates. There would be no reason for it to be there if not for the pirates.

Sure there are assloads of statistics on how it doesn't work, and it just pisses people off more, but you can't blanket attack DRM as a whole for that. Digital Rights Management refers to everything that a company does to try and stop pirates. It isn't one specific program, or a rootkit, its a blanket term for digital protection. DRM can't be blamed for the fallout of annoyances and problems it makes for legitimate buyers. DRM is a response to pressure from pirates. It would make NO sense for a company to have DRM for any other reason. There is NO reason besides pirates for DRM. People claim that DRM isn't effective. Not true, the current means which DRM acts through are not effective. It's only going to get worse because people won't stop pirating. If you blame them for trying to stop you from stealing, I don't know what to tell you. You might say that DRM "assumes" that people are going to steal the game. NO SHIT SHERLOCK, because people steal the games! Honest customers get screwed because pirates ruined it for everyone.

You will probably NEVER be able to stop the hardcore pirates, just because it's too hard.
What you can do, is stop the people that really don't know how to properly pirate a game from stealing it. People that aren't familiar with all the nuances of getting around DRM don't get to play the game for free. Current DRM IS working, just not to the level that they want it too. It will only get more complicated.

So stop bitching about DRM if you pirate games, you are only making it worse on everyone. It is YOUR fault that honest people that buy the games have trouble.

JCM

LeQuack said:
So stop bitching about abortion if you are a priest, you are only making it worse on everyone. It is YOUR fault that honest people cant have abortions.
Ad hominem fallacy again? Note how closely it follows the examples of ad-hominems-
ad hominem definition said:
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html
Bill: "I believe that abortion is morally wrong."
Dave: "Of course you would say that, you're a priest."
Bill: "What about the arguments I gave to support my position?"
Dave: "Those don't count. Like I said, you're a priest, so you have to say that abortion is wrong. Further, you are just a lackey to the Pope, so I can't believe what you say."
Well, as debate rules say, when you cant beat the argument, try and whine about the man.
Especially when everyone is as much a pirate as me.

I :heart: this forum. :smug:

Le Quack

Well, at least I tried to put out a well thought argument.

Also, way to not look at any of my points and go straight to ad hominem.

JCM

I agree with the rest of it, minus the ad-hominem and these-
LeQuack said:
Current DRM IS working, just not to the level that they want it too. It will only get more complicated.
Because right now, I could take a 10-min taxi ride to the "feira dos importados" and get any game, for any system, cracked and working (3 games for 10 reais!!) and the only thing stopping that in the US isnt DRM, but tight police control and the fact that a store selling pirated cds and ROMs would get shut down fast.
LeQuack said:
There would be no reason for it to be there if not for the pirates.
Not exactly. Take Itunes DRM, its to lock people in to buying iPods.

One could say that as much as piracy is being combated by DRM, piracy is being used as an excuse to put forth DRM that previously would be infringing consumers rights.

Sadly, I grow bored, and now that Im out of bed, Ive gotta go.

Le Quack

One could say that as much as piracy is being combated by DRM, piracy is being used as an excuse to put forth DRM that previously would be infringing consumers rights.
Once again, that's not DRMs fault. That's piracy's fault.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Le Quack said:
Not quite, at least in regards to iTunes non-interoperability with non-iPods. That particular measure of DRM has no intent, in any shape or form, in preventing piracy, but rather in securing Apple market share.

You can argue that DRM as a concept only exists because of piracy (which is true), but arguing that measures such as the iTunes non-Apple device lockout wouldn't have been implemented had piracy not existed is a bit of a stretch.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Le Quack said:
There is NO reason besides pirates for DRM.
Bullshit. DRM is a way for media companies to force consumers to buy new versions of media, even if there is no benefit to the consumer in doing so. Want to put the CDs you legally purchased on your iPod? It's generally held that it's fair use of the media to convert them to a compressed format. Want to put the DVDs you legally purchased on your iPod? Sorry, the DMCA says it's illegal to do that, even if it's for personal use that would otherwise fall under fair use. You'll have to buy the video all over again, even if it'll be the exact same content.

That's the current reason for DRM. Not to prevent piracy, but to try and force honest consumers to repurchase what they've already paid for. Media companies have realized they can't sell us a better version of the White Album anymore. Most consumers don't care about SACD or DVD-audio or whatever higher quality versions they might come up with, CDs are good enough, as long as they can be transferred to an iPod. No more upgrading from LP to 8-track to cassette to CD. So they want to set the law so that media will be as limited as possible.

JCM

This. DRM is not because of only piracy, but more a mix of piracy being the cause, or the excuse.

Itunes exists to force people to use Ipods, DVD region encoding exists to force people to buy locally (otherwise brit gamers would import instead of buying overpriced UK games), online account checks exists to create a profile to track achievements, Amazon´s DRM exist so it can cancel your ebook anytime, anyplace.

Its idiotic to assume that DRM exists only because of piracy.

Bubble181

Bubble181

a) this thread is hilarious, with both Shego and JCM claiming the other one's all riled up and emotional and being a baby. Frankly, neither sounds like they're in any way emotional about it; both have been copy-pasting their answers for a while, and both have very clearly been posting with the express purpose of egging the other one on (wasn't that against the rules somehow? Oh well, it's funny).

b) on topic though, in this particular instance, I have to say that JCM got the points for, you know, being right. "Oh, I was just saying that to egg you on" is a pretty ridiculous attempt to defend yourself. I'll go play the "all-homosexuals-should-be-locked-up" faux-religious zealot in a thread and see if I can getr some people to defend their rights, than, five pages later, say I was just playing to get them worked up. It might actually even be true - heck, I'm sure we've all done it with CDS, who's loveably easy to put on his horse - but it still means your original points were flawed.

c) As has been pointed out, there are pretty strong reasons, besides piracy, for modern DRM. If we were actually allowed to *buy* our games/the code it's made of, there wouldn't be any platform exclusives. You wouldn't need to rebuy the same stuff again and again. And so on. Not to be the "ooh, big bad corporations" person (Heck, I'm all in favour of them, in general), but it's poignant that there are precious few companies who'll use the fact that you validated etc etc your games as a means of *helping you*. Really. GamersGate, or GoG, for example, WILL allow you to redownload a game you've bought legally from them. No matter where or how. Obviously, you're not supposed to share your account with all your friends. Now, I'm sure there are people who do (and shame on them -_-). Most other and larger companies either make you jump through a bunch of hoops, or even simply don't allow, redownloading.

d) To answer a question asked a while ago: the difference between downloading a crack or a cracked version of a game, versus having to go on line for activation, is at least twofold. First of all, a cracked version can easily be copied to a pc ith no internet access. One could download a cracked game at place A, and install it on their pc in location B, without internet, with no problem. (for example, at home and in college; or downstairs on the house PC with internet and upstairs on the bedroom PC where you're not allowed internet by your parents. There are plenty of other circumstances where it's impractical or impossible to go on line with a gaming pc). Secondly, a crack (or cracked version) I can download and store now. It'll always work (well, you might need a newer crack for a patched version or something etc, but, grosso modo, it will). Online activation, on the other hand, will only work as long as the servers are up for activation. Now, I understand perfectly that when the company takes down their servers, multiplayer will be harder or impossible...But single player? Screw that.
And mind you, the gaming industry is extremely volatile. Heck, go look at 5 or 10 year old games - how many of those publishers and/or programming houses still exist? Not many. Even if something still exists with the same name, it's often not actually the same company.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Le Quack said:
Right, it's the excuses fault that they're doing it...

JCM

:aaahhh:
Bubble181 said:
a) this thread is hilarious, with both Shego and JCM claiming the other one's all riled up and emotional and being a baby. Frankly, neither sounds like they're in any way emotional about it; both have been copy-pasting their answers for a while, and both have very clearly been posting with the express purpose of egging the other one on (wasn't that against the rules somehow? Oh well, it's funny).

b) on topic though, in this particular instance, I have to say that JCM got the points for, you know, being right. "Oh, I was just saying that to egg you on" is a pretty ridiculous attempt to defend yourself *snip rest of post*
On rules, its kinda a gray area (it always happens here, look at most locked threads), which was why I sent pms to the mods back when Shego first replied, telling them that should they consider it against the rules, I´d gladly stop.

Anyway, my apologies for those who wanted to discuss piracy and DRM, to which I created a thread so that good points wouldnt be wasted here.