[Question] Recipe addon for XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, I'm looking to commission an addon for XenForo for adding recipes. (Not for here, necessarily.) But I don't have the words to describe what it is I'm looking for. So I'm asking for help from you guys as you are frequently better at this than I am.

Here's what I envision:
  • The ability to have certain groups be able to add/edit recipes in threads.
  • The ability to put these in categories for easy listing.
  • The ability to print recipes in various formats.
That's all I have for now and I know it's not that much.
So if YOU were looking for an addon for adding recipes to a forum, what would YOU like to see?

My favorite things would be

Ability to add pictures
Ability to rate recipes
The ability to search by ingredients or at least be able to tag recipes (vegetarian,dessert,etc) for easy searching

For forum users, the ability to favourite recipes, maybe have a 'recipe book' that saves all your faves in your profile somewhere for easy re-lookup.

This may be a bit more complicated, but some of the online recipe places allow you to change the serving size and it updates the ingredient sizes.

Dave

Staff member
This may be a bit more complicated, but some of the online recipe places allow you to change the serving size and it updates the ingredient sizes.
Probably wouldn't have this in the first iteration. But I'll let the potential dev know. ;)

If you go with the ability to search by ingredients, see if you can get an advanced search option that will allow users to search by multiple ingredients and/or by ingredients and types of cuisine. For example, I have chicken, onions, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and want to know if there are any Mexican recipes that incorporate these items. Allowing users to exclude ingredients and/or types of cuisine could be cool too.[DOUBLEPOST=1360865494][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and conversions between Imperial and Metric measurements could be handy as well.

A way to add a bunch of recipes to some sort of "Shopping cart", and generate a shopping list of all the ingredients you would need to make all of them. That way you could plan on making 3 items, and generate one shopping list for all 3 of them.

Dave

Staff member
I like it! Keep it coming! I've sent the dev a link to this thread, so he'll see any ideas you guys have. He'll then figure out what he wants to do and then give me a quote for how much I'd have to spend.

This would probably be a bit of a stretch but it would be nice to have a weekly/monthly meal planner/calendar.

Could also be kind of a stretch, but nutrition info would be a good addition; calories, fat, sodium, sugar, carbs, vitamin and mineral contents - especially that last one. There are tons of sites online to find out how many calories a dish has, or how much fat, or sodium, but it can be a bit of a pain to see whether a dish has a significant amount of iron or vitamin C.

Dave

Staff member
Could also be kind of a stretch, but nutrition info would be a good addition; calories, fat, sodium, sugar, carbs, vitamin and mineral contents - especially that last one. There are tons of sites online to find out how many calories a dish has, or how much fat, or sodium, but it can be a bit of a pain to see whether a dish has a significant amount of iron or vitamin C.
There's actually an API you can hook into that will automatically provide this information. But for right now, if it'll keep costs affordable, I'm willing to pass on it.

A way to add a bunch of recipes to some sort of "Shopping cart", and generate a shopping list of all the ingredients you would need to make all of them. That way you could plan on making 3 items, and generate one shopping list for all 3 of them.
You are a genius. Why don't recipe sites do this.

Dave

Staff member
Well so much for this. The guy wanted $600. Don't have it for this kind of thing.

But I got the Resource Manager and have changed it to be a Recipe Manager. Took me about an hour to change all the text in the thing!

Dave

Staff member
I could do it for this site using the Resource Manager, but I'm too cheap to roll out the $20 it would take!

Status
Not open for further replies.