Rant VIII: The Reckoning

figmentPez

Staff member
I had nightmares last night, that woke me up hours early, and I've been in an absurd amount of pain. I'm breaking down sobbing because it hurts so much, and I don't know how to process whatever the hell the nightmares stirred up. I have so much I need to do today, and I'm not going to get any of it done because the pain is so bad I have to keep reminding myself that there's a reality to deal with beyond pain.

I'm going to fill my water bottle and lay down for a nap before I pass out from the pain.

BananaHands

Staff member
You know when you kind of speed through a yellow light to turn left before the light changes? Was unfortunate to do that at an intersection that had a red light camera...

So I got hit with a $490 dollar ticket!

Looks like I can ignore it, though... especially since my registration and everything still says I'm living in Chicago and I can feign ignorance that I ever received the ticket in the mail (it was sent to my parents' place?).

You know when you kind of speed through a yellow light to turn left before the light changes? Was unfortunate to do that at an intersection that had a red light camera...

So I got hit with a $490 dollar ticket!

Looks like I can ignore it, though... especially since my registration and everything still says I'm living in Chicago and I can feign ignorance that I ever received the ticket in the mail (it was sent to my parents' place?).
I wouldn't recommend that course of action. That's how Mr. Z ended up arrested one night.

Somehow even though we made less money this year, we may owe $1100 more in federal taxes. Did something change that I'm not aware of? We have health insurance through my wife's employer, so there's no ACA penalty fee that would apply. My wife had less income than me, and paid more tax, yet somehow her W2's addition meant we owed a lot? Doesn't make sense.

Somehow even though we made less money this year, we may owe $1100 more in federal taxes. Did something change that I'm not aware of? We have health insurance through my wife's employer, so there's no ACA penalty fee that would apply. My wife had less income than me, and paid more tax, yet somehow her W2's addition meant we owed a lot? Doesn't make sense.
Did someone check off too many exemptions?

--Patrick

Did someone check off too many exemptions?

--Patrick
No, we haven't changed the exemptions in years, so any alteration couldn't be on our end.

When I check how it is for filing separately, I get a $400 refund, she gets a $1000 refund. But put us together and suddenly we owe $1100. I don't know if we crossed a tax bracket or something.[DOUBLEPOST=1422143736,1422143471][/DOUBLEPOST]Looking at a tax calculator side, it appears mine is under. I don't know how or why--I had to be off work in May due to a decrease in orders thanks to a separate federal government cock-up, but I wasn't earning money from that, so it doesn't make any sense. I earned a lot of overtime in the last few months, but that should've been reported by my employer.

The state refund should counter some of this, but the rest will have to come from the Christmas bonus or our savings. We're in okay shape to handle it, but I'd have rather it been pieced out at $40 a paycheck than like this. I'm going to have to have a talk with my boss on Monday, even if last-minute legislation gives us a tax break.

Don't get me started on tax laws that dictate that only the lower income spouse can claim certain things and shared family credits but then individually calculated marginal tax rates that are outrageously high. We get offered one tax break to get closer to family income vs individual income and it gets neutered.

I just can't stand speed traps. If you have a cop waiting for people to break a speed limit that everyone knows is way too slow, your law sucks.

I know. It was more of a general rant that I was reminded of by this thread, and having to go 30mph today on a decent sized road, watching the cop wait with his radar gun.

Don't race yellow lights.
Then don't let council members set 'em so short that you can't even get all the way through the intersection at speed limit velocity while it's still yellow. Around here, there are sub-3sec yellows, and they always seem to be on roads where the speed limit is 35MPH at most, meaning that you have to have already broken the plane of the intersection BEFORE it actually turns yellow if you actually want your back bumper out of the intersection by the time it turns red.

--Patrick

Then don't let council members set 'em so short that you can't even get all the way through the intersection at speed limit velocity while it's still yellow. Around here, there are sub-3sec yellows, and they always seem to be on roads where the speed limit is 35MPH at most, meaning that you have to have already broken the plane of the intersection BEFORE it actually turns yellow if you actually want your back bumper out of the intersection by the time it turns red.

--Patrick
In Texas, at least, what counts is getting the front bumper into the intersection..if you do that on a green, you haven't run the red light, even if it changes while you're in the intersection.

In Texas, at least, what counts is getting the front bumper into the intersection..if you do that on a green, you haven't run the red light, even if it changes while you're in the intersection.
I thought as long as it was in the intersection before it turned red you were good?

I have a better idea...
well arent we just feeling super friendly today...
I haven't had enough coffee for this kind of tastemaker discussion.
I thought as long as it was in the intersection before it turned red you were good?
Minnesota, if you make it into the intersection on yellow its not a violation, basically the law states it is up to the officers discretion on red light runs which is interesting, because as a teenager i got a warning not to run instead of a fine because it was a yellow as i was coming up to the light and it was slippery so i made a choice to go through.

Cops would clean up around here. It's common practice for folks turning left to go through when it's full-on red. I also thought that as long as you are in the intersection while it's yellow then you are safe.

how many times do I have to say "fuck the police" is not a personal attack against people that just follow (shitty) orders
Probably as many times as you repeat a hateful statement that generalizes a group of people like that. You wouldn't cut anyone any slack for saying the n-word just because they claim "it's not a personal attack on black people", and you'd be totally right in not doing so. And let me head off the "you're saying 'fuck the police' is as bad as the n-word, lol" response, because I'm not. It's still bad, and for the same types of reasons, but it is to a lesser degree.

Just waiting to start the procession for Const. Wynn's funeral.

Also, learned I'm not allowed near the PM. Guess his guys do their homework. No lefties allowed.

Probably as many times as you repeat a hateful statement that generalizes a group of people like that. You wouldn't cut anyone any slack for saying the n-word just because they claim "it's not a personal attack on black people", and you'd be totally right in not doing so. And let me head off the "you're saying 'fuck the police' is as bad as the n-word, lol" response, because I'm not. It's still bad, and for the same types of reasons, but it is to a lesser degree.
Don't you get it? Prejudice is only offensive to Charlie when someone *else* does it. He does it all the time--but that's OK. Because he's right when he does it. Basically, the exact same attitude every Texas redneck has, just with a different set of prejudices than typical down there.

Don't you get it? Prejudice is only offensive to Charlie when someone *else* does it. He does it all the time--but that's OK. Because he's right when he does it. Basically, the exact same attitude every Texas redneck has, just with a different set of prejudices than typical down there.
every time you say this, you're completely wrong

Well... Screw you too.