Question for you smartphone people

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're thinking about ditching broadband at home (since it's mainly just a time sink) and getting a couple of Blackberries. Just wondering what your experience has been with the web and other goodies and what sites might give us problems.

No flash. Also I recommend against it. 3G is slow compared to wireless. I have an iPhone so i can't really help you with the Blackberry specifics, but I know that Flash does not exist on any phone yet.

I'm not overly concerned with the lack of flash. And we're surrounded by wifi hotspots, so I can always walk the laptop down the street (unless we move to the burbs in a couple months).

C

Chazwozel

I have a Blackberry Storm. It has no WiFi, but the Verizon data network is alright for my sick needs.

I love the phone itself and the apps. If I were you I'd wait for the Storm 2 which is coming out at the end of this year I think. Blackberry's blow iPhones out of the water in terms of productivity. Think of a Blackberry as a generic PC and the iPhone as all the other Mac bullshit out there. The iPhone is flashy and dummy proof, but the Blackberry is 100% customizable.

Crackberry.com will answer all your questions on all models.

I know Verizon is doing a promotion now with the Storm at 49.99 and you get a second one free. Right now my wife and I do the Verizon family share plan where we pay 60 for 450 anytime min, 10 for her phone on the line, 5 for 250 texts a month, and 30 for the data plan on my blackberry.

Even with wifi, websites are s l o o o o w to load, render, and use on any mobile device.

Further, most websites are very geared towards home PC use, and you'll find yourself annoyed by the constant small difficulties you'll be facing on a mobile device.

I'd recommend at least buying the tethering upgrade so you can use your computer on the internet when you want to.

You'll also find a lot of times where you'll want to say more online, but don't because it's much more work with the tiny keyboards.

-Adam

fade

Staff member
Lifehacker, admittedly macophillic, had a whole post where they attacked that claim (that iphones somehow were inferior for business). Those were some of the very issues they examined.

ALSO, I started this exact thread on halforum, and I got like one response. Screw you, Jake!

iPhone is a great gadget, but if I needed one for work and not play I would have went with the Blackberry.
What are your reasons for one over the other in a business setting?

-Adam[/QUOTE]

I've not really played with black berries much. It is just my job does not require me to answer Emails away from the office.

The 'toy' factor is really the main reason I chose the iPhone. I basically use mine for a phone, a way to quickly check the weather, and to read wikipedia while waiting for my meal to arrive when dining alone. I liked the screen on the iPhone better. Then have a small part of my music collection on hand (only 8g.)

Lifehacker, admittedly macophillic, had a whole post where they attacked that claim (that iphones somehow were inferior for business). Those were some of the very issues they examined.

ALSO, I started this exact thread on halforum, and I got like one response. Screw you, Jake!
Hey, I have an iPhone, Love it too, but the fact remains that I could get work e-mail on a Blackberry if I had one, and I can't on my iPhone. Exchange support is great if your company uses Exchange, but that's only part of the enterprise email market. :humph:

I have a Palm Pre. For whatever it's worth, I love it. If you have any questions about that phone, I can answer them, but it sounds like you have your mind made up about a Blackberry, so it's probably a moot point :)

C

Chazwozel

I have a Palm Pre. For whatever it's worth, I love it. If you have any questions about that phone, I can answer them, but it sounds like you have your mind made up about a Blackberry, so it's probably a moot point :)
I would have totally gone with a Palm Pre if their carrier wasn't Sprint. I hate Sprint with a passion.

I would have totally gone with a Palm Pre if their carrier wasn't Sprint. I hate Sprint with a passion.[/QUOTE]

I get an awesome discount with Sprint through work. For 1500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data, I pay about 50 bucks a month. I'd be paying twice as much with anyone else. Unfortunately, as a poor college student, my options are limited.

Web OS kicks ass, though. If Palm releases a device on another carrier, I highly recommend it.

C

Chazwozel

I would have totally gone with a Palm Pre if their carrier wasn't Sprint. I hate Sprint with a passion.[/QUOTE]

I get an awesome discount with Sprint through work. For 1500 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data, I pay about 50 bucks a month. I'd be paying twice as much with anyone else. Unfortunately, as a poor college student, my options are limited.

Web OS kicks ass, though. If Palm releases a device on another carrier, I highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Shit, I pay about 90 bucks a month WITH my 24% discount through work! But they only carry Verizon.

Yeah, I have to stick with Sprint because of the discount I get from a former employer. I don't need anything super-fancy, so I'm probably going with the Curve since it's about $50 with a new contract. Looks like around $100/month for 2 lines, unlimited data, 1500 anytime, free calls to any mobile. I tried my buddy's last night and the speed was decent enough for what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.