(Question)Attention those with biology/chemistry backgrounds:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a bit of a question here... this is more related to science fiction than fact, but because I'm a colossal nerd, I wanted to run some stuff by anyone with a grounding in the subject matter.

Ahem, okay, so... one of the fandoms that I chat with regularly has started looking into the ingredients that might be included in a cocktail of medicines referred to only as "conditioning" in the subject matter. This "conditioning" performs several tasks, to include making it's recipient more susceptible to following orders from a designated authority figure (known as "Handlers"), acceptance of large amounts of artificial organs and cybernetics/prosthetics (the recipients are cyborgs, retaining little of their former human bodies, but the prosthetics are more along the lines of artificial organic-style muscle, rather than robotics), and possible as a catalyst for some of their cyborg abilities.

Higher doses of conditioning lead to suppression of emotive states and a reduction in the cyborg's life span, but more willing to follow orders. Lower doses result in more free will, and an extended life span.

Side-effects illustrated in the original work include serious withdrawal symptoms (flushing, heavy breathing/heart racing, loss of control of actions - reverting to muscle memory), memory loss after extended use, and finally the body shuts down, although that might simply be a result of losing the fight against Mother Nature, from the over-use of the cybernetics.

Also, the recipients have all, thus far, only been shown to be adolescent girls (it's anime. Go figure, moon people). The canon has stated only that "children are the only ones it works on," and the ultimate goal of the shadowy government agency is to allow for the cybernetics and conditioning to work on adults.

Any thoughts about what may or may not be included in this cocktail, and why it only works within the given limitations? Initial thoughts on the subject from my other forum include:

Mercury - Preservative and the component that eventually kills the subject. (Thiomersal)
Benzodizapans – Anti-depressant
Immunosuppressants – Anti-Rejection medicine so that the body wouldn't reject the cybernetics
Amphetamines – To cause focus in the body.
Opiates – Primary addictive component as well as dulling the ability to feel pain.
Estrogen – for the suppression of the girls’ growth

Also the erasure of the memories and implantation of other memories is done through rapidly flashing lights

Are they anything resembling close? Any other thoughts?

Pretty much everything I was going to suggest is already in the list at the end of your post. The major one being immunosuppressants. Of course, while this would concievably allow greater success rate in cybernetic implantation, it would also suppress the rest of the immune system, leaving the subject vulnerable to infection and disease.

Also, I have no background in biology or chemistry, so I could be talking out of my ass.

The one question that I managed to bring to the discussion was on the subject of the imunosuppressants... what organs are ABSOLUTELY beyond the capabilities of artificial organs (not talking current tech... assume something feasible but not quite ready yet has already been implemented)? And what effect would immunosuppressants have on a body that is mostly artificial?

Why would estrogen suppress growth? If anything, I would think it would hasten sexual maturity. Also, while there's a good bit of controversy around thimerosal, I don't know if I'd list it as a prime lethal agent. The mix of benzodiazepines, opiates, and amphetamines would do for that. Of course, IAMAC, so salt grains and all that.

If we're not being too strict about the science, I suppose you could theorize the use of a derivative of the cordyceps fungus as a mind-controlling agent. Or maybe a genetically modified T. gondii parasite.

Why would estrogen suppress growth? If anything, I would think it would hasten sexual maturity. Also, while there's a good bit of controversy around thimerosal, I don't know if I'd list it as a prime lethal agent. The mix of benzodiazepines, opiates, and amphetamines would do for that. Of course, IAMAC, so salt grains and all that.
The big problem with premature puberty is that puberty for girls is that it doesn't result in growth spurts the way it does for boys. Course it makes them develop so they would grow breasts, hips and the various other bits and pieces that come along with womanhood. Which kinda ruins the whole "little girl assassins" thing that the anime is famous for.

I would think the Opiates would be the lethal part of the cocktail. Patients develop opiate resistances over time and require more and more to be effective. Combine the high doses with the other drugs you're looking at troubling interaction.

Overdose (or abnormally early dose) of secondary sex hormones (Estrogen/Testrosterone) will cause the 'rushing' of an individual's bone age, which will cause early sexual maturity and decreased height (due to the early closure of the growth plates of the long bones). It's not that it prevents puberty, it's more like the subject is rushed through puberty and so ends up shorter. I might try to delve more into it once I get home (since I've never heard of the series).

--Patrick

Good news is that Borders is going out of business. You might get a whole set cheap ;)
Borders headquarters in only a few miles away from me, and as far as I can tell they're not going out of business, though they are doing poorly. Are you sure it's the chain, and not just your local store?

I worked there for a while (at the AA HQ) before getting my current job. They knew they weren't doing so well, and they were trying to do something about it. I just don't know if the demand for print media will stay up long enough for them to survive. I honestly hope they do.

--Patrick

I have a friend who was recently laid off there. They've had a series of layoffs over the last few years.

I dunno. I'm rooting for them, but part of me knows that books as we know them aren't going to be profitable items in the long run.

C

Chibibar

My wife told me that Borders just filed to Chapter 7 I think (not 11)

I don't see anything about them actually filing for bankruptcy. Would be nice if you had a link or something I could look into more, my google-fu seems to be failing me.

C

Chibibar

I don't see anything about them actually filing for bankruptcy. Would be nice if you had a link or something I could look into more, my google-fu seems to be failing me.
bleh. I should have question my wife :) I think she meant by this article
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10968747/1/borders-is-bankruptcy-bound-poll-says.html

chance of chapter 11 not 7 (hehehe)

and of course this one.
http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2011/01/13/the-daily-docket-publishers-at-odds-over-borders/

publishers are not happy with Borders.

C

Chibibar

But..... back on topic.

another "series" is Bourn series. They use drugs and such to train their agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.