Print vs Webcomics - Drama Llama continues w/ Hi and Lois

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Hi & Lois for 2009 Sept 18

:facepalm:

I'm not sure I get the joke. There are a lot of careers where you have to struggle for a while before you can find success. Inventors often go through dozens of ideas, and rejection after rejection before being successful. Doctors, lawyers and other professions rack up huge college bills and often work for free before finally being able to earn money. The restaurant business is brutal, especially here in Houston, when you're trying to build a customer base. Why is it a punchline when an artist is building a business?

Because all these cartoonists (web and print) seem to think their little slap-fight is immensely funnier and more interesting to the general public than it is.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I don't think the general public even knows there is a slap-fight going on.

Then again, my parents were surprised when I told them there's comics in the intertubes...

It's a weird thing, where EVERYONE who reads webcomics is aware of print comics, but only a small chunk of people who read print comics are aware of webcomics. So while a joke like this on PVP (or a whole week, ie. Ombudsmen) might elicit a groan from the people who have even a slight idea of what-the-fuck, but a strip like this in Hi and fucking Lois is just confusing to most of their readers.

Come ON. At least Kurtz can be claiming to make a point.

P

Philosopher B.

Don't be hatin' on Hi & Lois, guys. It was a real trailblazer back in the day!

Wikipedia said:
Changing times

The strip made efforts to keep up with the times, such as housewife Lois Flagston taking a career in real estate in 1980.

The strip faced some controversy given the changes in morals since its debut in the 1950s. Once, editors insisted that belly buttons could not appear; in protest, Browne included a box of dimpled navel oranges.

Cole - "Hey, Hi and Lois took a jab at webcomics in it's strip!"
Brent - "Huh... interesting."
Cole - "Why? Because we all thought this fight was over?"
Brent - "No, that people find Hi and Lois culturally relevant still. I thought it was 2009, not 1959."

Ta-Da! The perfect comeback strip for Scott.

Brent - "No, that people find Hi and Lois culturally relevant still. I thought it was 2009, not 1959."

UNLESS OF COURSE his fans are sick of this bullshit and visit his site for quasi-entertaining comics and not petty childish bullshit. ;)

I

Iaculus

UNLESS OF COURSE his fans are sick of this bullshit and visit his site for quasi-entertaining comics and not petty childish bullshit. ;)[/QUOTE]

INCONCEIVABLE!

K

Kitty Sinatra

UNLESS OF COURSE his fans are sick of this bullshit and visit his site for quasi-entertaining comics and not petty childish bullshit. ;)[/QUOTE]

INCONCEIVABLE![/QUOTE]
I don't think you're using that word right.

Status
Not open for further replies.