Prediction: G.I Joe out grosses Transmurfers 2? Your take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I just watched the first Transformers movie with Rifftrax. I had forgotten how fucking awesome the first scene with the helicopter dude fucking obliterating the military base was. Comparing that to how anemic they are at the end of the movie and how utterly pathetic decepticons are in the second movie just leads me to believe that no one actually read the script.

Frankie said:
No one got the short end of the stick in the movie harder than Covergirl.
Agreed. They never even said her damned name in the movie before they killed her. In the novelization, there was a brief scene where Hawk & Cover Girl encounter Destro & Zartan in the hallway outside of the presentation at the start of the movie. Hawk is trying to get his unit put on the security detail, but Destro shuts him down. Meanwhile, Zartan starts mimicking Cover Girl's facial expressions, get called on it, and apologizes for it being a force of habit. After they leave, Hawk says he got a bad vibe off of Destro and Cover Girl says she got that vibe from both of them. And that is literally all she does before her death scene.

Frankie said:
Heavy Duty instead of Gung Ho or Roadblock (two more of the waaaaay more often used heavy hitter guys). Ripcord was barely a tertiary character. I can't even remember who the * the french guy was supposed to be (Breaker?). Other than Duke, Scarlet and Snake Eyes they went with second string characters from the cartoon and or comics.
Yeah, that was Breaker. And they haven't used Roadblock in a looong time. They keep making figures of him, but Heavy Duty took his place in the animated DTVs, Sigma Six, and now the movie. I wonder why.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
I cannot believe the detail of discussion about the G.I. Joe cartoon in here. All I remember from the cartoon is flashing lights and colors and explosions.
Actually, most of this discussion is coming from the comic books. The G.I. Joe comic book universe lasted twenty (non-consecutive) years and 235 issues (not including the various and sundry mini-series, side-series, and one-shots).

J

JCM

Shawnacy said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
I had no idea G.I. Joe comics existed and I would wager no one involved with this movie did either.
You'd probably be wrong.
AYou are right, and Charlie as usual, wrong.

The movie tailer debuted in a comics convention.
The GIJOE series itself was created by Marvel and Larry Hama, and debuted in a comic BEFORE the cartoon.
Heck, the first thing the director did was to read the comic series-
the director said:
Stephen Sommers: They came to me a couple of times saying, \"Paramount would like for you to consider G.I. Joe.\" I was like, I don't really have an idea for an army man movie, because that was what I grew up with – the 12\" doll. In the early '80s I went to university in Spain and hung out in Eurpoe, and somehow missed the whole [phenomenon]; I never read the comic book, so I didn't really know about this version. So I started reading the comic books and went to Pawtucket where Hasbro is based and saw all of the toys, and got really excited about what a cool, visual world this was. Then I read the comic books, and they made 300 cartoons and comic books and they never killed anybody; they kept evolving the characters and evolving the characters. In fact, in the first draft of the script, the first 45 pages are all back story. The studio was like, what are you doing? So that was what initially got me excited – how visual it was and there's all of these great characters that were handed to me. So then I sat down with Larry Hama, who created all of this G.I. Joe thing, and there's a group of guys and girls at the Hasbro factory who are the keepers of the flame, and they just kind of got it.
More excerpts
the director said:
Sommers: Mainly we stick to the comic books. There's a lot of people that don't know anything about G.I. Joe and they say, how did you make a movie based on a toy? And I go, well, it's actually based on a great comic book – one of the most popular comic books of the 1980s. So if we get to do [another] ...even when I was doing the Mummy movies, I would do tons of research, and not to sound like a star or anything, but you do it so that you get all kinds of creative ideas. So when I read the comic books, I've got tons of notes and ideas as I go along because as I read them, I come up with my own ideas, and at the same time, there's a lot of great ideas in the comic books.
http://www.cinematical.com/2009/08/06/i ... n-sommers/

So of course a series that started with a comic, took most of its stories from the comics which has two succesfull runs up to 155 issues, and had a few toylines in the 90s based solely on the comic, would be used as reference for a movie about it.
Charlie said:
I cannot believe the detail of discussion about the G.I. Joe cartoon in here. All I remember from the cartoon is flashing lights and colors and explosions.
All I remember from philosophy class was that the teacher hhuge tits. So what´s your point?

Suuuuuure it was.

And they only made significant changes to the back-stories of two main character. Breaker, Ripcord, and Heavy Duty have never been much more than bit players (and the last one is only ever used as a Jonas Quinn of Roadblock),

Dorko said:
Suuuuuure it was.

And they only made significant changes to the back-stories of two main character. Breaker, Ripcord, and Heavy Duty have never been much more than bit players (and the last one is only ever used as a Jonas Quinn of Roadblock),

in my defense I remember nothing of the show (or comic) and haven't seen the movie so I don't know why I'm posting in this threaaaaaaaaaaad

Hey, one more thing. Joseph Gordon Levitt was rad. If that was him providing the voice, he was double rad. That was clearly someone enjoying being in a fucking awful movie every scene he was in.

Frankie said:
Hey, one more thing. Joseph Gordon Levitt was rad. If that was him providing the voice, he was double rad. That was clearly someone enjoying being in a fucking awful movie every scene he was in.
This is true. Very awesome Cobra Commander.

Frankie said:
Hey, one more thing. Joseph Gordon Levitt was rad. If that was him providing the voice, he was double rad. That was clearly someone enjoying being in a smurfing awful movie every scene he was in.
That's why I want to see it. I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray though.

Frankie said:
And it's official, i'm going to see it...

C

Chibibar

Shegokigo said:
Sienna Miller was a horrible choice for Baroness, wasn't even attractive as "her".
the twist in the movie I didn't like, but she does look good in black :)

No, she didn't. Her legs were as thin as her arms. Her cleavage was barely pressed together by tape/bra/whoknowswhat, she couldn't pull off brunette to save her life and there wasn't an OUNCE of "evil" in her presence at all. It was appauling.

Frankie said:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/076041c13b/the-ballad-of-g-i-joe

And Funny or Die wins once again.

How the smurf do people manage this? Julianne Moore, Billy Crudup, Zack Galifinakis, Vinny Jones, Joey Kern, Henry Rollins, Alan Tudyk, Chuck Liddel and even smurfing Sgt. Slaughter.
Brilliant clip. Too bad I can't show anyone here at work since they're too dull to ever care or have cared for GI Joe.

Frankie said:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/076041c13b/the-ballad-of-g-i-joe

And Funny or Die wins once again.

How the smurf do people manage this? Julianne Moore, Billy Crudup, Zack Galifinakis, Vinny Jones, Joey Kern, Henry Rollins, Alan Tudyk, Chuck Liddel and even smurfing Sgt. Slaughter.
That's totally frakkin' great.

B

Batdan

Gusto said:
Frankie said:
This is true. Very awesome Cobra Commander.
I didn't like the mask in the end though. I wish they had gone for the chrome helmet instead.

Shannow

Staff member
I loved the movie. So over the top and bad, it was perfect. Bad acting, corny dialogue, horrible writing, bad cgi...it was like watching a long cartoon. Which was exactly what it needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.