Potentially Obvious question (Music File Conversion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaykordeath

What's the best, free, and/or easiest software to convert files from OMA to MP3?

figmentPez

Staff member
No, not an obvious question, considering I had to look up what an OMA file is.

It is, apparently, a Sony OpenMG Music format file. An ATRAC3 formatted music file that is wrapped in encryption.

Doesn't look like there is any easy way to play back the files if your computer isn't authorized, let alone convert them.

A

Aisaku

That sucks. Since even playback is prohibited not even recording from your own soundcard works. >_<

Dang, wish I had seen this post sooner. I just downloaded a free DRM-stripping program, but it is free only for a limited time. I don't know if it will still be available by the time you see this, but here's the link.

Edited to add:
I guess it doesn't matter, since I just checked the company's website and it doesn't list .oma files as convertible. But wikipedia says Sonicstage 3.4 includes an option to remove DRM from your files, so yay?

K

kaykordeath

Thanks all. Been trying to move the music library from the old to new computer. Seems like for these last few, it may simply be a matter of digging the CDs out from the bottom of the closet.

Though I may try the SonicStage answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.