Opera for Wii Now Available for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://lifehacker.com/5350615/opera-for-wii-now-available-for-free

If you thought the idea of having Opera on your Wii was a novel one, but not if it cost you money, you're in luck. Nintendo has dropped the point requirement for the browser. If you never bought it, you can now hop into the Wii Shopping Channel and grab a copy of it. If you did spend points on it, don't be too upset. According to gaming site ElectricPig, Nintendo will be offering free virtual game console downloads worth up to 500 points for those early adopters.
If you're unfamiliar with the process of installing new channels via the Wii Shopping Channel, check out this guide from eHow.com.

figmentPez

Staff member
:humph: Still doesn't have a good enough version of Flash to use Hulu. Though I hear it does play embedded YouTube videos again.

When I first got my Wii I purchased the browser and used it once or twice and have yet to go back to it. But hey at least it's free now.

figmentPez

Staff member
When I first got my Wii I purchased the browser and used it once or twice and have yet to go back to it. But hey at least it's free now.
I bought my Wii early enough to get the browser for free, and actually used it a lot before I got my netbook. Not only was it a nice way to do some light surfing in my room (weather.com beats the crap out of the Wii's forecast channel), but when my last computer died I did most of my computer part shopping/research on my Wii. A USB keyboard really made a big difference in usability in that case.

Also, the Wii browser can be used to stream media to the Wii in conjunction with Orb / Winamp Remote. It's not as good a solution as the Xbox 360 or PS3 provide, but I found it was a lot better than nothing. I need to check to see if it works any better with the new version of the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.