Oooh my tooth! *updated again*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh my tooth! *updated*

The gas should knock you out and make you a bit loopy for a while after waking up. I had my wisdom teeth taken out, and I'd say that $50 would be worth it for not having to be awake during the proceedings.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

The gas will make you just not care, kinda detached. If you can swing the extra money, go for it. It will only make it easier. It won't knock you out though, you'll stay awake.

Oooh my tooth!

ZenMonkey said:
Laurelai said:
I have always have very good luck with dentists oddly enough and my current dentist is WONDERFUL. Not only is he a great dentist, he looks like Robert Reford's younger brother! Kinda like dinner and a show! :drool:
/takei on

Ohhhh, myyyy.

/takei off

I've always had very good luck with gynecologists. Given a choice I'd rather the dentist be the inept one. :bush:

Curiously, my mother always* tells how George Takei's brother IS (or was, when she studiend in the US) a dentist, one that treated lots of actors and that, because of this, invented lots of techniques concerned with aesthetics, and not just functionality.

*Always means "every time she hears someone speaking of something slightly related to Star Trek... probably because the only thing she knows about it is this.

C

Chazwozel

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

hylian said:
*edit*

Well I do need a root canal. They set the appointment for 10:30 a.m. tomorrow. They ended up prescribing me some Valium to keep me calm for the appointment tomorrow. It looks like it will be 3 - 4 visits and tomorrow is for a open and a flush. I am still thinking about asking for the gas tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------

What happened was a few years ago one of my teeth chipped and it didn't hurt so I didn't worry about it. But today I was eating my lunch and it felt like my head exploded. I am not sure if the nerve is showing or if a cavity formed in the chipped section but I ended up having to leave work early and now I am waiting for my dentist appointment. Now I have to admit I have never gone to the dentist before since I have never really needed to. And I am terrified of them so I am a bit stressed out right now. So wish me luck :(

(Thank goodness I have dental Ins. that covers 100% of X-rays and the initial visit. They also cover 80% of fillings and stuff. )
I doubt you'll get gassed. Most dentists are only licensed for local.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

If they don't/can't use gas, or if you don't want to shell out the $50.00, make sure you ask which local they use. Some dentists will allow you to request a specific local; if so, I suggest lidocaine, or sedacaine as a second option. Novacaine just doesn't have the necessary umph to really deaden the pain.

I had to have a wisdom tooth pulled once and the oral surgeon used lidocaine. Came in, gave me a shot, waited 10 minutes (while having a very friendly dental assistant keep me company to help me stay calm), came back in and gave me a second shot; and for all I know he may have just been waiving the second needle around in my mouth, cuz I didn't feel a thing then or during the extraction.

Sedacaine works pretty well too; I had that when I had my root canal. It wasn't quite as good as the lidocaine, but there was still no pain, just a little feeling of pressure when he was finishing up the procedure.

P.S. I'm really sorry to hear about your terrible dental experience ZM, hope Mr. ZM's dentist is much better and can take care of whatever damage she did.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

I already asked and they said they do nitrous and it would be $50. Right now I am heavily leaning towards getting the gas. My appointment is in a little over 2 hours. I am supposed to take some valium they gave me in about 1 hour. I really hope that it helps me cause right now I am pretty nervous.

C

Chibibar

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

hylian said:
I already asked and they said they do nitrous and it would be $50. Right now I am heavily leaning towards getting the gas. My appointment is in a little over 2 hours. I am supposed to take some valium they gave me in about 1 hour. I really hope that it helps me cause right now I am pretty nervous.
If you can get gas and don't like pain..... go for it. it is worth 50$.

I had 4 wisdom teeth pull. I paid extra FOR gas cause there is no way I'm gonna suffer with 4 wisdom teeth pull.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

Definitely agree with Chibs on this one. If they have it and you can pay for it, get the gas.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

Also: when the doctor says you're going to feel a little prick in your mouth, make sure he's holding a needle.

There's a mistake you only make once.

L

Laurelai

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

Hey Hylian :) I know you're probably already in space, but just a pat on the back and a kind word from someone who has had 5 teeth pulled- and none of them have been bad experiences. Four were for braces. I had WAY crowded teeth and they had to make room, and then when my wisdom teeth came in, I kept biting my cheek on one side and couldn't stop- so the dentist pulled my upper wisdom tooth.

All my extractions were pretty much boring. Little bit of novocaine, dentist left the room for 5 minutes while my mouth numbed up, came back, tug tug tug *pop* and out it came. In fact, with the wisdom tooth, I went to fire school that night. Hopefully yours will be just as uneventful :D

C

Chibibar

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

Laurelai said:
Hey Hylian :) I know you're probably already in space, but just a pat on the back and a kind word from someone who has had 5 teeth pulled- and none of them have been bad experiences. Four were for braces. I had WAY crowded teeth and they had to make room, and then when my wisdom teeth came in, I kept biting my cheek on one side and couldn't stop- so the dentist pulled my upper wisdom tooth.

All my extractions were pretty much boring. Little bit of novocaine, dentist left the room for 5 minutes while my mouth numbed up, came back, tug tug tug *pop* and out it came. In fact, with the wisdom tooth, I went to fire school that night. Hopefully yours will be just as uneventful :D
LUCKY!! mine had to be surgically removed :( cause it was growing sideways and going to mess up my braces.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

Well I am back from the dentist. I got the gas and it went pretty smoothly. My face is still numb. I have to go back in two weeks for a 3 hour appointment. I have some prescriptions for antibiotics and some pain medicine I have to pick up in a few hours.

C

Chibibar

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

hylian said:
Well I am back from the dentist. I got the gas and it went pretty smoothly. My face is still numb. I have to go back in two weeks for a 3 hour appointment. I have some prescriptions for antibiotics and some pain medicine I have to pick up in a few hours.
woo! glad everything is good. Keep that cotton swab in place above all else. You want that hole seal itself ASAP :) and take those antibiotic religiously. You don't want to get it infected (I hear horror stories)

yeah I am just waiting for the pharmacy to fill the order than I can go pick it up. I did find out the two teeth next to the one that had to have the root canal need a small filling but that can be done on my next appointment.

C

Chibibar

If you have dental insurance, check the policy. Most policy allow two checkup (usually cover by insurance) take advantage of it. You don't want to go through this again ;)

note: it is normal to see your dentist at least twice a year (once every 6 month) if you have to pay for it (i.e. no insurance) once a year check should cover it. My cousin (who is a dentist in LA) keep telling me to brush (5 minutes total time at LEAST upper and lower, floss and rinse with mouth wash at LEAST twice a day)

edit: I did get an electric toothbrush like he told me, I do brush upper and lower about 5 minutes (timer on the brush) I don't floss religiously (once a day at most) but I do use mouth was (listerine) once a day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.