Oooh my tooth! *updated again*

Status
Not open for further replies.
*update*

Well I am back from the dentist. I got the gas and it went pretty smoothly. My face is still numb. I have to go back in two weeks for a 3 hour appointment. I have some prescriptions for antibiotics and some pain medicine I have to pick up in a few hours.

--------------------------------------------------------

*edit*

Well I do need a root canal. They set the appointment for 10:30 a.m. tomorrow. They ended up prescribing me some Valium to keep me calm for the appointment tomorrow. It looks like it will be 3 - 4 visits and tomorrow is for a open and a flush. I am still thinking about asking for the gas tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------

What happened was a few years ago one of my teeth chipped and it didn't hurt so I didn't worry about it. But today I was eating my lunch and it felt like my head exploded. I am not sure if the nerve is showing or if a cavity formed in the chipped section but I ended up having to leave work early and now I am waiting for my dentist appointment. Now I have to admit I have never gone to the dentist before since I have never really needed to. And I am terrified of them so I am a bit stressed out right now. So wish me luck :(

(Thank goodness I have dental Ins. that covers 100% of X-rays and the initial visit. They also cover 80% of fillings and stuff. )

Oooh my tooth!

Dont be terrified! Dentists aren't scarier than your average doctor!

My mother is a dentist, and I can tell you she doens't terrify me. At least, not because she is a dentist.

Oooh my tooth!

Well tell the truth I hate normal doctors as well. I am not quite sure why but I have always been terrified of Doctors and Dentists.

T

The Mike

Oooh my tooth!

You should go to the dentist every 6 months, bad hylian, bad.

But good luck dude

C

Chibibar

Oooh my tooth!

Jake said:
Just as a heads-up, you're probably going to be getting a root canal.
if it hurts when you eat..... yea sounds like it.

My filling "exploded" more like fell apart and it hurts to drink cold water (stings like a mo-fo) I just had the thing pulled (it was my back tooth) more than likely you would need a root canal and fillings or a crown depending which tooth.

Oooh my tooth!

My tooth doesn't hurt when I drink cold water and I just started hurting today so I hope it doesn't turn out to be a root canal.

Oooh my tooth!

hylian said:
My tooth doesn't hurt when I drink cold water and I just started hurting today so I hope it doesn't turn out to be a root canal.
Exactly what it felt like for me. I ended up staying up all night sipping cold water cause I couldn't get in to the Dentist right away. Root canals really aren't that bad though. At least mine wasn't.

Oooh my tooth!

I barely escaped a root canal when I chipped a molar last year, but was able to get a crown instead. Highly recommended, especially if your dentist is "with it" enough to have one of the new-fangled scanner/fabricator set-ups that makes the crown while you wait.

Having teeth pulled (except for wisdom teeth) isn't such a great idea in the long run, so pay for the upgrade if it's available.

Oooh my tooth!

Make sure he has gas. I love the gas. Mmmm. Gasssssssssssssssss....

T

The Mike

Oooh my tooth!

You know the difference between a Dentist and a sadist?

[spoiler:266z4gxy]newer magazines[/spoiler:266z4gxy]

Oooh my tooth!

Definitely don't pull it unless you absolutely have to. And get all the drugs you can. :uhhuh:

Oooh my tooth!

Last dentist I went to provided me the not-at-all-embarrassing opportunity to cry in a doctor's office for the first time in 27 years. Had to talk the husband down from going to "chat" with her although honestly I wouldn't have minded.

Now we have dental insurance and Mr. ZM has what he says is an awesome dentist, but I am drill shy now. Also I'm pretty sure all the work that bitch did sucks and will have to be redone, because it's never stopped hurting. I'll go "soon"...

North_Ranger

Staff member
Oooh my tooth!

Ugh... I personally hate dentists. Must come from the fact that when in elementary school I always had some gunk in my teeth, and during the yearly dentist visit the bastard always put some anti-bacterial stuff in my mouth. Tasted like rat's ass, looked like dried nacho cheese and was told not to eat for three hours. Nasty.

Having braces as a teenager and a chipped tooth at age 12 didn't help, of course...

Oooh my tooth!

The dentist I went to was great, and I had always hated em too. The lady who did the cleaning was super nice about everything. The guy who put my permanent crown on was hilarious. When he was done he looks at the crown and goes "Damn, sometimes I forget how truly awesome I am at this." His assistant just did a :eyeroll: .

B

Batdan

Oooh my tooth!

North_Ranger said:
Ugh... I personally hate dentists. Must come from the fact that when in elementary school I always had some gunk in my teeth, and during the yearly dentist visit the bastard always put some anti-bacterial stuff in my mouth. Tasted like rat's ass, looked like dried nacho cheese and was told not to eat for three hours. Nasty.

Having braces as a teenager and a chipped tooth at age 12 didn't help, of course...
That's called Flouride treatment. All kids get that when they go to the dentist.

L

Laurelai

Oooh my tooth!

I have always have very good luck with dentists oddly enough and my current dentist is WONDERFUL. Not only is he a great dentist, he looks like Robert Reford's younger brother! Kinda like dinner and a show! :drool:

Oooh my tooth!

Laurelai said:
I have always have very good luck with dentists oddly enough and my current dentist is WONDERFUL. Not only is he a great dentist, he looks like Robert Reford's younger brother! Kinda like dinner and a show! :drool:
/takei on

Ohhhh, myyyy.

/takei off

I've always had very good luck with gynecologists. Given a choice I'd rather the dentist be the inept one. :bush:

Oooh my tooth!

ZenMonkey said:
I've always had very good luck with gynecologists. Given a choice I'd rather the dentist be the inept one. :bush:
Now -that- should have been in marathon man.

I probably need to go to a dentist, because one of my very back molars chipped. Unfortunately, I have no dental insurance, and no monies, so...

Oooh my tooth!

Ravenpoe said:
I probably need to go to a dentist, because one of my very back molars chipped. Unfortunately, I have no dental insurance, and no monies, so...
A lot of them will work with you on a payment plan if you need it. Trust me, it will be a lot cheaper to fix it now than later. I would say call them and at least see what they can do. I believe my root canal was around $500 not including the permanent crown, and it could have been completely avoided if I had gone in earlier. I didn't have insurance either.

Oooh my tooth!

I had to have a root canal about 3 years ago. Fortunately the office was well up on the latest equipment and techniques. About as painless as it got.

The previous few weeks had been misery. But within the hour I went from "please kill me now" to "DANCE PARTY!" The change was *that* significant.

Oooh my tooth!

My brother needs more than the legal amount of novocaine to be numb enough for most dental work. He's had somewhere around 13 teeth pulled in total because his baby teeth didn't fall out before permanents grew in.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Oooh my tooth!

Please learn a lesson from me and do not avoid going to the dentist. I don't have a fear of the dentist. I just procrastinated making appointments because I had better things to do and let it go (aka: being lazy). It turned into quite a few years without routine dental care. Sure I flossed and brushed, but eating and drinking things with high sugar and acid content wrecked my teeth. So far I have had 4 teeth pulled, 3 crowns (2 had to have root canals), and I'm looking at 2 more crowns which could also need root canals. I'm probably going to have to get implants put in to replace the teeth that were pulled which is going to mean surgery. Amazingly, my gums are in pretty good shape.

There are dentists that specialize in people who are afraid of the dentist. Some will even prescribe you some meds to take before you come in for your appointment so you'll be relaxed. The dentist I see now has TV's in his ceiling and headphones for you to wear so you can watch your favorite channel while being worked on. Having a cleaning every 6 months or a filling now and then does not compare to going every other week for more work and treatments that could have easily been avoided.

Oooh my tooth!

Well I do need a root canal. They set the appointment for 10:30 a.m. tomorrow. They ended up prescribing me some Valium to keep me calm for the appointment tomorrow. It looks like it will be 3 - 4 visits and tomorrow is for a open and a flush. I am still thinking about asking for the gas tomorrow.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

I hate needles in my mouth, so I do all my fillings without anesthesia. The only two bothersome parts are the matrix band, and when the drill gets deep enough that the vibrations and/or temperature swings are bothersome. Other than that it's not painful or even uncomfortable, and knowing what's happening it's, at worst uncomfortable.

I hate the very thought of a root canal though.

My understanding, though, is that if you need one then typically you're already in enough pain that it's a relief to go in and do the work.

-Adam

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

DarkAudit said:
Say what? A root canal can be reasonably done in a single visit these days.
Mine was 3 visits. First was a cleaning, second was the root canal and a temp cap, and the third was the permanent crown. It was pretty bad and they weren't sure if the root canal was going to take, so they didn't want me to waste money on a crown just to have it pulled later on.

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

So is the gas worth it? Cause my Ins. doesn't cover the nitrous and it will be $50 for it. If I do use it will I remember the event or does the gas just make me not care about the event?

T

Twitch

Oooh my tooth! *updated*

When I was a young boy, just barely a kid, my mother notice strange behavior on my part.
I had this bad habit of opening fire on young dogs with a BB gun. I would poison our fish and after that I would even kill small cats. It was around this time that my mother said that some day I would have to do something that appealed to my barbaric nature. She told me that I could probably be a dentist, seeing as I had a kind of natural talent for causing pain, indeed people would pay me for the pleasure. It was unlikely that I could follow my father and enter the priesthood, and my aspirations of teaching were also unsuited to my temperament. Thus she suggested I be a dentist, and make a reasonable living as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.