[Gaming] Official Dragon Age 2 Thread - Thar be Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that you didn't like it, which is fine. I'm just pointing out that there was foretelling.
Yeah, I get what you are saying too, it really does suck to lose a character you like and/or find very useful. I even get how it could feel "cheap" for Bioware to let that be a possibility (especially with magic spells like "revive" hanging around right?), but I just personally like the way there are some real stakes in games like this.

Clearly with save files they aren't that big of a deal but when I got to the point you discussed (although I was using the brother) I was kind of surprised too, but in a "hey, they aren't messing around here" way. Which I think is good.

R

rvdleun

I finished the game last week, and in my opinion, this is Bioware's worst outing so far. The early marketing gave me some bad vibes, along with the short time they had to develop this, but the demo managed to gave me a feeling that it was going to be more like Origins than I expected. At least, combat-wise, early marketing-speak made it look as if they got rid of the 'boring' combat and made it a button masher. And I really hoped that I was going to like it as another good Bioware RPG.

And in a sense, I will admit that it did, for a big part. There was some nice interactions, I liked that a part of the plot was focused on the main character and his family trying to survive and build a new existence in a new environment after the old one was destroyed in Origins. But the plot felt disconnected, there was no real big arc tying it all together, just going through the motions. Almost like an episodic series. Sure, this is actually a staple in Bioware games. You go to different planets with different problems in KotOR, but you were after the Starmaps to find the Sith's secret weapon. There were the different armies/companions in Dragon Age: Origins/Mass Effect 2. And in the one game where they didn't have MacGuffins(Jade Empire), there was the central plotline of the Water Dragon. DA2 just felt like a loose string of random stories. And then it just ends...

I suppose that would be my biggest problem with the game. That, and the fact that it just went insane near the end. Chantry/11 was actually a good thing to start things off with, and the whole setup of being trapped with the mages while an army Templars are trying to break in to get you and your party... the atmosphere was fantastic and it felt great when I managed to kill everyone. And then suddenly the First Enchanter decided that he can't take it anymore and becomes a villain. Could somewhat live with that, except that after that fight, I just had a sense of 'Well... the one thing I stood for is gone... what now?'. Then the Knight-Commander supposedly had gone insane because of the idol. Saw that coming when Varric's brother had talked about selling the idol to a 'her'.

... then the statues came alive. That's where I basically gave up on the plot.

Again, I found myself enjoying a huge part of the game, but it really fell apart around Act 3. I will give Bioware credit for the companions tho', this is the first Bioware game where there was no necessary companion that I generally just ignored. I liked the idea of a game taking place in a single location, and your party members having lives of their own there. Halfway through, Isabelle had left the party, because I wouldn't let her keep the Qunari artifact. Fenris stood against me, and I was very glad that Aveline decided to stick by my side, despite joining the mages. If I have to give Dragon Age 2 credit for one thing, it would be the companions.

Ah well... bring on the Arrival. Then Mass Effect 3. Looking forward to see how they'll end that trilogy.

Reactions: Jay
The companions were really good storywise, but I felt they really failed on the class spread. In order to beat some of the more difficult fights you NEED a healer. At the beginning of the game the the only healers you have are Bethany, Anders, or the player if you decide to play a Mage and take the Spirit Healer specialization. You lose Bethany for a large chunk of the game (or forever) after only the first act, leaving my warrior with only Anders. This made it so I pretty much had to not use the characters I wanted unless I was just doing random fights, and since I never always knew when a boss was going to appear I often found myself reloading just to get Anders. I hated that. They could have at least gave Merrill some healing spells, maybe even some Blood Magic style healing abilities that don't just heal her.

I know there was a mod to change some of this by opening up the specializations, but sadly I would have had to start a new game to have it work, so I skipped it.

Reactions: Jay
vanilla Neverwinter Nights
Oh no you didn't...

The first Neverwinter Nights was the game that made me go back and play Baldur's Gate and such. It was what started the love affair I have with Bioware that was later cemented with games like KOTOR.

Huzzah!

Oh no you didn't...

The first Neverwinter Nights was the game that made me go back and play Baldur's Gate and such. It was what started the love affair I have with Bioware that was later cemented with games like KOTOR.

Huzzah!
But the game itself was sooooooooooooo boring. Don't get me wrong, people did some amazing things with the toolset, but the vanilla out of the box NWN was dreadful.

NWN as a single player experience was pretty average.

As an online experience? FANTASTIC.

Especially on RP persistent worlds where DM created the fucken world and people roleplayed characters. Servers with permadeaths.

NWN was a solid game but obviously an entire different beast from their other RPG games.

As far as Sonic goes? Who cares. It was an experiment that doesn't work very well for them in a market that quite frankly bears no meaning to my interest in any shape or form.

What article are you reading exactly? Because I can't figure out how you got from:
"Dragon Age II has eclipsed the 1 million sales marker, BioWare announced today, and as a thank you to fans, the studio is giving away a free digital copy of the PC version of Mass Effect 2."

To this:

"Is DA2 doing that badly on the PC or what?!":confused:
Because that's obviously a marketing strategy to increase sales, and it's on the PC... and ME2 is a 2010 GotY game...

Um... you do realize they are giving away a PC copy of ME2 to anyone who bought DA2 on ANY system right?

So I bought it for my PS3 but I get a free pc copy of ME2 if I want it.

Yeah, i just noticed that... i guess it's just a way to get DA fans interested in ME before ME3 (while increasing DA2 sales too)...

(and i forgot to point out that we don't know how many of those 1 mil was on PC, but that's pointless now i guess)

Skipping spoilers since I haven't even gone on the expedition yet, but question:

Everyone fucking hates Lathorne Hawke. Has this happened to anyone else? I cannot do a goddamn thing to please these people. Whatever party combination or wildly varying change of heart, I seem to piss somebody off if I go with my gut for the decision at hand. At this rate, I'm unlikely to get any romances for Hawke, and have my whole team hating me. It's ridiculous. +5 rivalry, +5 rivalry, +15 rivalry. It's kind of funny watching--I'm trying to keep myself from reloading a bunch to change things up and get some friendship points for a change.

And go to hell, Anders; that was way too fast. I'm not a whore.

So far, liking the combat, liking how ends of quests will lead to different other quests. At first I was being sympathetic to mages, but as this has gone on and Abominations keep popping out of the woodwork (I remember them being a rare and dangerous thing in Origins, but Kirkwall's crawling with the fuckers) I'm siding with the templars more and more in all aspects except revealing Bethany as an apostate. I suppose Fenris will start liking me more then, except he too wants Hawke's cock.

Relationship fail, me.

At this rate, I'm unlikely to get any romances for Hawke, and have my whole team hating me. It's ridiculous. +5 rivalry, +5 rivalry, +15 rivalry. It's kind of funny watching--I'm trying to keep myself from reloading a bunch to change things up and get some friendship points for a change.
Having high friendship OR rivalry opens up romance options, you don't have to be their friend to get in their pants.

Man, gotta hand it to those darkspawn. They've kept this section of the Deep Roads mighty clean. I remember in Origins, every hall and room was full of filth piles and depris. Some entire chambers were floored with dirt, and later there'd be fungus or body parts all over the walls. Here? The darkspawn have been the most courteous of guests, picking up after themselves and avoiding being too much of a nuisance. It looks like you could go right back to living in it if you cleared out the darkspawn, and added some furniture because there's a room with an ogre in it and nothing else. He's just there, in the corner, waiting. Poor guy.

That's weird... but it makes sense. Thanks.
They don't really have it so people "hate" you. Friendship is supposed to be getting them loyal through, well... friendship. Rivalry is supposed to be you getting them loyal through respect. One you are the buddy, the other you are the hard ass leader they look up to.

Man, gotta hand it to those darkspawn. They've kept this section of the Deep Roads mighty clean. I remember in Origins, every hall and room was full of filth piles and depris. Some entire chambers were floored with dirt, and later there'd be fungus or body parts all over the walls. Here? The darkspawn have been the most courteous of guests, picking up after themselves and avoiding being too much of a nuisance. It looks like you could go right back to living in it if you cleared out the darkspawn, and added some furniture because there's a room with an ogre in it and nothing else. He's just there, in the corner, waiting. Poor guy.
It must have happened around the time Rita Repulsa took them over and dressed them all in those stock outfits and made them act like power ranger fodder. When the Ogre showed up in the beginning of the game I was expecting a staff to come down and make him grow.

They didn't looks too terrible, other than the matching armor which was shitty and the wiggly putty animations. They looked like they were described in the (admittedly terrible) books rather than looking exactly like LOTR orcs.

Demands of the Qun
I'm gonna guess that the "choices" here are just me deciding different ways of dealing with the Qunari and there's no real way to actually pick sides like you would in the different conflicts in Origins, huh? I noted a distinct lack of variance in responses to him when discussing the poison gas.

Fucking Quanari hipsters. "The Qun ist great,the Qun is life" - "So tell me about the Qun." - "No,it's too deep.You wouldn't understand it."

Yeah...

I may sound like I'm bitching; I'm actually enjoying the game so far and I'm eager to find out what's going on in certain things. Hawke's love life hasn't been so bad. I had almost situations with Anders and Fenris and turned them down. Isabela jumped Hawke's bones pretty much the moment he had a mansion though; sheesh.

I'm pretty much going full "agree with templars" now. Partly because
Bethany's dead and if she had been in the Circle she'd have been alive... or if I hadn't taken her along. Geez...
and also because Kirkwall's mages make the ones in Fereldan look like happy fairies. I'm sure it's a reaction to the oppression, but there's only so much I can have Hawke champion the poor wielders of magical catastrophe. I'll join their side if I replay as a mage someday.

and also because Kirkwall's mages make the ones in Fereldan look like happy fairies. I'm sure it's a reaction to the oppression, but there's only so much I can have Hawke champion the poor wielders of magical catastrophe. I'll join their side if I replay as a mage someday.
That is another thing I kind of disliked about the game. No matter which side you choose they both end up being bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.