Nostalgia Critic (Even for those who DON'T like him)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

http://www.criticker.com/resource/8054/on/rankings.txt

I stand by most of those ratings, although some I rated after it's been a while since I saw the movie, some I rated early on before I got down much of a system for the 0-100 scale, and some people have pointed out to me that I must have been drunk or typoed when I rated them.
I like Metacritic, but most of the times I´ll just check who´s the producer, screenwriter, actor and director, then take a risk.

Not that I dont like reviews, its just that these days some writers will spoil a movie, and sometimes trailers contain the best parts of a movie, and suddenly ther´s very little left for you to see but filler.

I really can't pinpoint what it is about a movie that will get me to the theatre. Mostly a good enough trailer will peak my curiosity, after that I tend to listen to "general" reviews (I won't watch a movie at the movies till it's been out at least 2-3 weeks) with no spoilers and get a decent idea if it's worth spending the cash on.

I also won't watch anything drama/comedy/romance at the movies as films like that are wasted on a big screen.

Yeah, what I said. There are great shots in movies other than the Lord of the Rings trilogy that look a lot better in a theater than on a computer screen.

Sweeping shots on a comedy/drama/romance film are a complete waste for me and no amount of screen size can make up for the difference that BLU-RAY can make on upclose/any movement shots at all.

Right back at 'cha. You're totally right though, I really wish I was in a movie theatre when Martin Lawrence came in as a big fat lady. I mean, the epicness of seeing that on the big screen would have totally been worth the $20. Oh no, wait, I should have gone to see all those Sandra Bullock/Hugh Grant films on the big screen cause, you know, it totally makes it a different experience than watching it at home. :rofl:

figmentPez

Staff member
Sweeping shots on a comedy/drama/romance film are a complete waste for me and no amount of screen size can make up for the difference that BLU-RAY can make on upclose/any movement shots at all.
Do you realize that 35mm film is higher resolution than Blu-ray? A good theater is going to have better picture quality than any 1080p home theater can deliver. How much better will depend on a lot of factors, but it's simply not possible to match full film resolution on a home TV set.

I get what Shego's saying. I don't go see comedies or dramas at the theater either. It has to be a spectacle type of movie to motivate me to go out to the theater. A romantic comedy is just as good on the small screen as it is the big screen.

ElJuski

Staff member
For people looking to see a movie for its story and execution, I can see why it wouldn't matter (most of the time that's me too). I can also see Charlie's vantage though, of wanting to pick apart a movie mis en scene, as many filmophiles are wont to do.

There usually is more going on than the surface level within cinema. Personally, I go see comedies in the theater to feel all the laughs. Group laughter really heightens the mood.

J

JCM

The only reason I'd see a comedy/drama/romance movie in a theater would be if I were on a date. and then prolly only the romance one. Actually, then my preference still goes to scifi/action movies. lol

Of course epic costume dramas can be an exception, but they tend to fall into the action genre pretty quick.

But really, is there any need to see certain movies on a screen that big? Hardly.
Pretty much my opinion.

Cinema is for LOTR, Star Wars and Watchmen. Comedy? Maybe on a date. Although stuff like Schindler's list or foreign movies ala No Fun or Children of heaven will get me to go to the movies.

T

ThatNickGuy

I go to the theatres to see SHIT GET BLOWN UP! Hell, I happily paid money to see the new Rambo. My friend and I expected a big, dumb action flick with a lot of shit blowing up and a high body count. If there was a plot or character development, we'd be disappointed.

We weren't. ;)

I do make a few exceptions, though:
-Kids movies, especially if the place is packed with kids, because their youthful exuberance while watching it is infectious.
-Something I'm just dying to see and can't wait (Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth)

Aside from that, there's very little that can't wait for video.

I see no reason to go to the movies, attempting to enjoy a good character-driven drama, and have to hear cell phones, or the guys in the front whistling at the screen, or the couple arguing in Spanish two seats away, or a baby crying somewhere when it's R-rated, or etc etc etc.

I see no reason to go to the movies, attempting to enjoy a good character-driven drama, and have to hear cell phones, or the guys in the front whistling at the screen, or the couple arguing in Spanish two seats away, or a baby crying somewhere when it's R-rated, or etc etc etc.
Go to better theaters.

Go to better theaters.[/QUOTE]

The theaters of my imagination play certain movies and the ones out there play others.

It's not a matter of theater; it's a matter of crowd. One night at Theater A can have an awesome crowd, and the next night it can suck. Could be the same or a different movie, you're pretty much rolling dice. Theater B will be the same situation. You won't know what you're walking into until it's too late.

Release dating doesn't help either. Opening night is likely to draw the biggest crowd, and this could mean the people who really want to see the movie, or it could mean lots of bored people seeing whatever and don't give a shit about interrupting someone else's night. Midway through a movie's run may be safest, so perhaps I should give that a try, as others trying to avoid the idiots may come then. Going too late means stragglers in empty theaters who think it's fine to chat and do what they please, let their kids run through the aisles like it's a playground.

Timing of day assists. Although I like movies at night, seeing a movie in the morning does mean less shitheads, and also cheaper movie tickets.

So now that I think about it, while I disagree that the theater makes a difference, there do appear to be things I could do to better my chances at a good experience.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Go to Canadian Theatres.

Well, I don't know about that specifically, but I've really never had a bad experience going out to see a movie.

Go to Canadian Theatres.

Well, I don't know about that specifically, but I've really never had a bad experience going out to see a movie.
I have nothing but shitty experiences in theatres. Especially since in Edmonton it seems like they've closed all but 3 gigaplex 14 screen hypermonstrosity theatres. So, everyone in the city is forced to congregate to a handful of places. It fucking sucks.

If I didn't love seeing movies in theatres so much I'd just wait.

I'm surprised you never saw it before. It's kind of verging on old pic is old territory, but it still makes me smile whenever I see it.

I go to a theater that serves food/beer and the waiter/ushers will throw anyone out that isn't respectful. It owns. I forget that every city isn't as blessed as mine.

J

JCM

I go to a theater that serves food/beer and the waiter/ushers will throw anyone out that isn't respectful. It owns. I forget that every city isn't as blessed as mine.
Where the hell do you live?[/quote]

Austin, TX[/QUOTE]God, that goes so well with the Stone Cold avatar its almost spooky.

I can almost imagine it in his voice. Of course, then he would punch escushion, out him in the Stone Cold Stunner, grab a beer and drink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.