NHL Winter Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
To pay respect to the other country that plays in this international league. Like they do at the start of every NHL game...
The fact you need to explain that to the ignorant folk is pretty much the reason why idiots will boo National Anthems on both sides of the border.

When I lived in Nashville, I had partial season tickets, and even went to the day after Xmas game when I was back in town, and they never play the Canadian anthem except when a Canadian team is in town.

Wait, why are they playing the Canadian anthem in a Rangers/Flyers game?
It is weird cause they normally don't do it unless a team from a Canadian city is playing, but honestly I always found it kind of weird that both anthems aren't played at ALL the NHL games.
More than 50% of the league are Canadians.
In regards to this game in particular, the GM of the Rangers is Canadian, 17 players in the Flyers' lineup for this season are Canadians, and 11 on the Rangers. There are only 10 American players between BOTH teams (8 on the Rangers and 2 on the Flyers).
Added at: 01:24
And the goons at Citizen's Bank park boo the Canadian anthem. Stay classy Philthadelphia.
Its groan worthy because that's the anthem for over 60% of their team. Its also why I hate the Flyers. I got nothing against the team itself, but the FANS. These are the fans that bood an anti-cancer commercial for featuring players from other teams. Yeesh.

Every Pens game I've been too has played both national anthems. Same with all the Flyers and Islanders games I've been too. Same with the Hershey Bears games I've attended. I've always just assumed it's a league wide thing?

I guess it's a closer to the border thing. I'm not complaining at all, mind you, I think the Canada anthem is a better song than America. I just had no idea it was different in the northern US hockey towns.

Every Pens game I've been too has played both national anthems. Same with all the Flyers and Islanders games I've been too. Same with the Hershey Bears games I've attended. I've always just assumed it's a league wide thing?
Nah, I've watched games between American teams before and never seen them play the Canadian anthem. The Washington/ Buffalo game I watched a while ago comes to mind. I'm sure I've also seen games between two Canadian teams where they didn't play the American one.

Maybe they put more thought into it than I imagined. Or, even less.
Added at: 01:32
I guess it's a closer to the border thing. I'm not complaining at all, mind you, I think the Canada anthem is a better song than America. I just had no idea it was different in the northern US hockey towns.
It might also just be that this game, being a big event, is likely to get more Canadian viewership. Or maybe it just depends on whether its a game that TSN has the broadcasting rights to?

They definitely sing the canadian anthem at all home sabres games. Especially the caps-sabres game in Buffalo, as I was there haha. Though if it was the recent one in washington, they probably didnt. I always thought the teams that did that were us, detroit, and minnesota, but I didn't know that for a fact.

The one I watched, I think was in Washington, but I don't really remember. Buffalo won, if that helps? It was on the 26th. If they did the Canadian anthem, they cut to commercial for it.

B

BErt

They definitely sing the canadian anthem at all home sabres games. Especially the caps-sabres game in Buffalo, as I was there haha. Though if it was the recent one in washington, they probably didnt. I always thought the teams that did that were us, detroit, and minnesota, but I didn't know that for a fact.
I've been to many Red Wings home games and I only remember them playing the Canadian anthem when a Canadian team was in town. Maybe they changed it. Maybe I'm just flat out wrong.

For what it's worth, I agree that both should be done at every game.

Only if they play the US National anthem at every baseball game in Japan, and every basketball game in Europe.

B

BErt

Only if they play the US National anthem at every baseball game in Japan, and every basketball game in Europe.
...because of all the Japan-based teams in MLB?

NHL hockey is unique in North America in that it is shared pretty equally among two neighboring countries and that should be embraced. I don't think that we should sing both anthems at every NBA game just because the Raptors exist.

I've been to many Red Wings home games and I only remember them playing the Canadian anthem when a Canadian team was in town. Maybe they changed it. Maybe I'm just flat out wrong.

For what it's worth, I agree that both should be done at every game.
I've never been to a red wings game so you're probably right. It very well may just be the Sabres since a major part of our season ticket base are canadians.

...because of all the Japan-based teams in MLB?

NHL hockey is unique in North America in that it is shared pretty equally among two neighboring countries and that should be embraced. I don't think that we should sing both anthems at every NBA game just because the Raptors exist.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.