Export thread

New Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City ARG?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It looks like someone finally wants to knock the Umbrella Corporation down a peg...

So Capcom is doing an ARG for Operation Raccoon City. Personally, I love these things, but I know some people don't like doing all the work. Still, I figured I'd let everyone know.

I've already figured out the first clue. Want a hint? Google Raccoon City Sewers Department. The map there can point you to the next location...

Jay

Jay

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Meh... Operation Raccoon City looks different enough that I'm willing to give it a try. It's certainly different than Re5, which is a huge plus for me.

Jay

Jay

The whole resident evil series pretty much should be taken out and shot. It jumped the shark years ago.

And the even shittier movies.... ugh.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The whole resident evil series pretty much should be taken out and shot. It jumped the shark years ago.

And the even shittier movies.... ugh.
That's sort of why they ended the series with 5. RE6 is going to be a re-imagining of the series or so they say. Operation Raccoon City isn't canon with the previous series... it's sort of a "What If?" kind of deal. I think the 3DS title is similar.

Personally, I kinda of want them to do more with the Outbreak series. It was sort of a proto Left 4 Dead, but with a greater emphasis on puzzle solving. It was also much harder than Left 4 Dead.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Being a huge fan of the entire Resident Evil series, I say let the dead series die. I know they cling to it because so many hardcore fans are attached to the characters, but the storylines are so convoluted and lost that there really is no chance of going back and fixing it. They keep trying to "remake" the gameplay over and over. Try playing RE0-5. Every single one has a different gameplay feel that's almost alien to the one before it. They could never just leave well enough alone or figure out how to balance it. Every single one of the games with the slight exception of 4 had god aweful controls and ridiculously overblown storylines.

Why couldn't it just have stayed a group of rebels vs the huge corporation? That was all it needed. It needs to stop, everything from 4 on out was a money grab.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, I think the only storylines that didn't get wrapped up are...

1.) Where is Sherry? Wesker had her at some point that was pre Code Veronica, but she's never been brought up since.

2.) Is Steve Burnside alive or dead? Wesker took him as well.

Jay

Jay

Being a huge fan of the entire Resident Evil series, I say let the dead series die. I know they cling to it because so many hardcore fans are attached to the characters, but the storylines are so convoluted and lost that there really is no chance of going back and fixing it. They keep trying to "remake" the gameplay over and over. Try playing RE0-5. Every single one has a different gameplay feel that's almost alien to the one before it. They could never just leave well enough alone or figure out how to balance it. Every single one of the games with the slight exception of 4 had god aweful controls and ridiculously overblown storylines.

Why couldn't it just have stayed a group of rebels vs the huge corporation? That was all it needed. It needs to stop, everything from 4 on out was a money grab.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Oh they wrapped up, but they were still overblown and ridiculous.

In my personal opinion, RE would have been a MUCH more interesting game storyline/series without SUPER WESKER and EVERYTHING he did to the story.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

In my personal opinion, RE would have been a MUCH more interesting game storyline/series without SUPER WESKER and EVERYTHING he did to the story.
Agreed. I liked it better when he was a manipulator, not fucking Neo. That was the dumbest move they could have done with his character.

Jay

Jay

I remember where we played RE5 in coop (which was awesome to a certain point) and he fucken pwned us repeatedly. (playing on a console makes my gaming ability feel pretty human). We stopped playing at that EXACT moment and decided to change game and play another game for the entire night. We haven't touched the game since.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I remember where we played RE5 in coop (which was awesome to a certain point) and he fucken pwned us repeatedly. (playing on a console makes my gaming ability feel pretty human). We stopped playing at that EXACT moment and decided to change game and play another game for the entire night. We haven't touched the game since.
He's actually an easy boss, but you kinda have to do it in Co-op. It's gotta be impossible in single player.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh they wrapped up, but they were still overblown and ridiculous.

Yeah, RE5 was a total mess and Wesker was the cause.

RE4, however, is one of my all-time favorite games, up there with Zelda: OoT, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shadow of the Colossus, and Chrono Trigger. I even enjoyed it on the shitty, shitty PC port.

Jay

Jay

RE4, however, is one of my all-time favorite games
thefuck1.jpg

I even enjoyed it on the shitty, shitty PC port.
thefuck2.jpg

The fuck did I just read?

Jay disapproves -20.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm serious. Love it. The gameplay is good to start with, but the situations escalate one after another. Mine cart ride, fighting some a freaking one-winged angel, that six-legged dog thing, giant fish, Rasputin, Napoleon statue chase... the Ada side of things was a little weak, but it's just an extra thing anyway.

Of course, the story is stupid as hell. I think it's better that way though; considering the series as a whole.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sideways from topic: Does anyone know why Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, a game ported from PS2, looks like crap on an HDTV, while Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, a game ported from a PS1 to Gamecube, looks just fine on HDTV?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Sideways from topic: Does anyone know why Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, a game ported from PS2, looks like crap on an HDTV, while Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, a game ported from a PS1 to Gamecube, looks just fine on HDTV?
It may have to do with the engine it was coded in. the Wii has no hardware anti-aliasing, so one engine may have had in game AA and another didn't.

Kyle

I've tried typing in everything on that map and nothing is being accepted

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've tried typing in everything on that map and nothing is being accepted
The trick to the second step is actually really simple and your going to kick yourself for not thinking of this old spy trick.

Up the magnification of the map to 800-1000%, then look at some of the streets on the left side. Thats the URL to the 3rd step.

Kyle

Grr, I'm not good at this kind of stuff. I read the files and tried typing a few guesses but still nothing

Kyle

Nevermind. Finally got it :)

Azekual

Hey!
I'm working on this ARG and I have a forum devoted to it. Come join me on: http://insertedevil.lefora.com/

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Bah... this new one was just as easy.

Dave

Dave

Hey!
I'm working on this ARG and I have a forum devoted to it. Come join me on: http://insertedevil.lefora.com/
You trying to steal muh peeps? Huh? Huh?!? You want to bring it?!?

Just kidding! Good luck with yer site, man!

Kyle

Bah... this new one was just as easy.
Hints? I found the photos, and now the files but I don't have time to look through them yet

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hints? I found the photos, and now the files but I don't have time to look through them yet
It's on Lupo's page. It's pretty obvious.

Also, I think it's pretty obvious that it's Chris or Barry giving these out. His outlif in the last video had that vest thing they both wore.

Project D

The trick to the second step is actually really simple and your going to kick yourself for not thinking of this old spy trick.

Up the magnification of the map to 800-1000%, then look at some of the streets on the left side. Thats the URL to the 3rd step.
I see absolutely nothing but the grid and a series of black lines for sewer tunnels.

Project D

I see absolutely nothing but the grid and a series of black lines for sewer tunnels.
Oh...oh god, now I see it. I had to open it outside of Chrome for it to show up. Thanks for the tip!

Jay

Jay

Project D

Project D

Jay

Jay

Assuming Direct Control.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Newest Clue is up. This one is pretty easy too... you just need three words, which should be apparent in the clue.

Looks like there is a prize this time: Sew On Patches, with the icon of the Umbrella team from the game.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Newest Clue is up. This one is less obvious and you need to do some research into the founders of the Umbrella Corporation. Once you have their names, you need to know where to look... my only clue is that your looking for a video, not a website. It should be obvious where to go once you find it.

Kyle

Found the video and the file, now to find the code

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Found the video and the file, now to find the code
Ok, I'll give you one more hint...

It's not in any of the files and it's only hidden if your not looking very hard.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Newest Clue is up. This one is actually pretty straight froward. Just pay attention to the image you've been given and follow that.

The reward for this week? Free DLC! Your inserted into a drawing (or maybe we all get it) for the special gold plated Matilda, the 3 round burst pistol that's been popping up since Resident Evil 2. Now in new gold plated finish!

This week's hint? It has nothing to do with Raccoon City Tattoo. That's from a previous week's challenge.

Null

Null

I thought RE4 was a lot of fun to play. Was the plot silly? Absolutely, but then plot depth or cohesion has never been a strong element of Resident Evil.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I thought RE4 was a lot of fun to play. Was the plot silly? Absolutely, but then plot depth or cohesion has never been a strong element of Resident Evil.
RE4 was great because it stepped away from the classic style of the other games and at least tried something new during a time when the series was getting stale. It also told a story that wasn't directly connected to overarching plot, giving us a break from the Wesker Is Neo bullshit that arose after Code: Veronica X.

Unfortunately they basically killed the plot by RE5 because they just stopped caring, dropping entire plot threads in order to just end the story. The Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles games on the Wii do add a bit to the story, but it's basically done now.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well I have this week's clue figured out and solved... but I have a hitch and can't understand one of the items they posted. Perhaps one of the spanish speaking forumites can help me?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This week's clue is up and it's pretty simple, as long as you've played RE2. Oddly enough, the code for last week's clue was the name of someone working in a group that's been uncovering the answers to these things. They found almost all of the URLs early, so Capcom went out and redid half the puzzles and registered new sites for them. To mess with everyone's heads, they acknowledged him in the code. Now the group is freaking out because know they know Capcom is watching their moves.

My hint for the week? The first thing you need is in the clue description. The other thing you need is a nickname for the Police. Your going to need a periodic table for this, so use the one provided in the clue.

This week's prize looks to be an Inserted Evil/Operation Raccoon City t-shirt.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New clue is up. This one's pretty simple... you just need to meet Force with Force. That'll lead you right to it.

Prize is the second Mask statuette, but it's almost assuredly been picked already. Someone on the Capcom twitter said that prizes would be first come, first serve. Kinda makes it pointless for the one of a kind prizes.

Here's an image of the prize.

Kyle

So USS and ???

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So USS and ???
I'm not sure what your trying to say. If your having trouble looking for the code, it has to deal with video once you find the evidence.

EDIT: Are you having trouble with the website URL? Your thinking about it too hard. All you need to do is meet forcewithforce.

Kyle

Yeah, I was thinking something else.... Got it though, thanks

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like this week's clue is delayed again.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I listened to the sound file and I COULD help you... If I understood the key words! I understand spanish, obviously, but I only got "project G" and "Parasyte". probably because I have no idea about Resident Evil and it's characters.

But apparently some scientist is very nervous because he seems to be nearing some big discovery and one of the characters suggests to the other to have a look at XXXXX files (the last word they say in english)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's probably related to Birkin's files then... thanks for trying!

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

They definately say "Birkin" and talk about checking out "Birkin's files"!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Right... so it's probably something related to both the Los Plagas and G-Virus then.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Also, Birkin is nervous and absent looking. He got especially nervous while talking on the phone with somebody

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also, Birkin is nervous and absent looking. He got especially nervous while talking on the phone with somebody
This ties into the main story of RE2. Umbrella thought he was going to run off with his work (he was) and they send a team after him. This is how the Raccoon City Outbreak begins.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I love this kind of in-universe stuff... for games I know XD

This thing has to be a pretty cool game!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Hopefully it is. Shame it got delayed to next year. I think they didn't want the game to get lost in this year's blitz of games.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ian Sider has been tweeting that he's currently on the run, so no clue this week. However another trailer was leaked...

The more I see of this, the more I am interested. Can't wait to see some more gameplay. I hope the ARG isn't delayed any further though... don't want to lose more active participants, even if it does increase my chances for a prize.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ian Sider is still missing in action. It's increasingly looking like he may have been caught and they captured his evidence. Our prayers go out to him. In the meantime, check your mailboxes. Someone's been mailing out his gifts to the lucky few that helped him the most.

In the meantime, why don't you guys book a cruise on Queen Zenobia Cruises?

This is the ARG for Resident Evil: Revelations. You can find 3 codes, a password, and a video on the site if you look around but no one is really sure where to input the codes.

Chibibar

Ian Sider is still missing in action. It's increasingly looking like he may have been caught and they captured his evidence. Our prayers go out to him. In the meantime, check your mailboxes. Someone's been mailing out his gifts to the lucky few that helped him the most.

In the meantime, why don't you guys book a cruise on Queen Zenobia Cruises?

This is the ARG for Resident Evil: Revelations. You can find 3 codes, a password, and a video on the site if you look around but no one is really sure where to input the codes.
Heh. That is pretty cool. I haven't been playing, but at least I recognize the scene :)

It is from Resident Evil: Degeneration CGI movie

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... and it's over. Ian was caught by Umbrella, infected, then executed on the website. Final location is www.umbrellaments.com, as revealed by the piece of paper in the final shot. Unfortunately, it seems like it only links to the previous clue's information...