NASA wants our help

It's been awhile since we played that game where we guessed the geolocations of pictures based on google maps, so I thought I'd bring something similar to the table.

Seems NASA has a large catalog of relatively untagged images that have been taken from the ISS. They have basic data like the location of the ISS when the photo was taken & focal length, but they need help in getting more specific location & orientation data tagged on the photos.

NASA Image Detectives

You have to go through a short tutorial to learn how & what to do. Once you pass that, you select a username & actually make a real submission. Once that's done, in about 24 hours you're username is added to the database for scorekeeping purposes.

Some of them are pretty easy (in the tutorial one of the pictures is of Nantucket Island) & some can be way, way hard. The field of view can be such a large area, and the angle can be very sharp. I had a real submission of the Montreal airport (800mm fl), but the ISS location was somewhere around Connecticut. Then I had one of Cape Cod, but the ISS was located somewhere about Toronto.

Anyways, should make for some wasted hours. Kind of similar to the map interpretation class I took in college.