[Question] Musical Composition/Arrangement Software?

So, recently I've taken to listening to classical music in the car when I'm stuck in traffic (which really only lasts like, 5 minutes, but whatever), or when I'm sick of listening to that Sleep Country USA ad for the 18 millionth time; and today I was finally able to envision musical arrangements in my head for the first time in about 15 years. I was classically trained in music theory for 10 years, both in school and privately, and I really miss it. Obviously, I can't exactly go pick up a baritone sax or a piano on a whim, and my neighbors would kill me even if I could; but I could pick up some arrangement software and play around with that.

So, does anyone know of any decent, free musical composition/arrangement software, that I could play with (on a PC)?

You had me up until you got to "free."
It's a shame something like ConcertWare is not available, it would've probably been ideal for what you wanted.

--Patrick

Well, I'm just looking to play around right now. It's not like I'm going to be making a living writing operas or anything. Though, if there's some low budget software out there, I could consider that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I used to dabble in the Modplug Tracker (and various other dos-based MOD trackers before that, but modplug is windows) quite a bit, and it may be a bit outdated and esoteric/arcane, but it's free.

http://www.modplug.com/

I'm attaching an mp3 example of something I tracked in this very software about 15 years ago. The song isn't original, but I did it entirely by ear.

Attachments