Movie News & Miscellany

I hated that crap even when I was a kid. There was slapstick I found funny, but not body humor junk. We didn't have "awkwarrrrd" non-humor back then, so I don't know how I'd have felt.

There are so many movies that appeal to all ages besides that jaded stage of adolescence; there's no reason for the new Ghostbusters to be appealing solely to the lead paint chewing side of kindergarten. But low-hanging fruit is the aim of the land in this case.
You've spent enough time on tumblr to know that any negative feelings about the new Ghostbusters is all because of misogyny. And nothing but misogyny. :p

You've spent enough time on tumblr to know that any negative feelings about the new Ghostbusters is all because of misogyny. And nothing but misogyny. :p
It's amazing that the "don't be owned by corporations, rage against the machine, fight the man" Tumblr audience is so easily worked up by Sony. I mean, back when the movie was announced, there was a vocal group who hated that it was four women, and they could go fuck themselves. But the Tumblrtots seem to have gotten stuck on that, unable to process that there has been new data that changes the situation. So now you have a group that I've mentioned here before ... it's fine if you're determined to see the movie no matter what. I get that. Trailers can be misleading, you gotta form your own opinion. Fine.

But it's insane for people who say they'll see it multiple times even if it's crap, even if they don't like ... what? As some form of protest? These are the same people who not only bitch about the declining quality of movies these days, but also the people who say they don't have jobs/money. So what are they going to do, "acquire" it multiple times? That's as much a successful protest as the dumbasses who say "I'm gonna stay home and watch the original Ghostbusters that day." They could watch the original today and it would have the same impact--zero. The NSA doesn't give a shit which Ghostbusters movie you watch or when you watch it, though they will certainly store this information in case it becomes valuable. Watching the original Ghostbusters that day means nothing. It's the staying home part that's important.

Apparently theaters are noting the backlash, because I've seen people saying their locals aren't reserving all that many screens and showtimes, some shuffling Ghostbusters 2016 into their smaller auditoriums.

The funny part to me, way funnier than anything in the trailers, is that Sony only recently realized they fucked up by playing with the whole "if you don't like it, you hate women" angle. Someone in their advertising must've noticed that by taking a stance like that, they would be alienating potential movie-goers. So then they started with posters to make the Ghostbusters look cool (fine, I guess?) and then little TV spots with men in the jumpsuits. Nothing funny going on, nothing about the movie, just some male actors wearing the jumpsuits.

-_- OH WOW, NOW I WANT TO SEE IT BECAUSE A MAN CAN WEAR IT. Sony realized they fucked up, but seem to have told their lie so well that they now believe it themselves and think if they show some men in the jumpsuits, that's going to make men drift toward it. Do they not realize there are women who think this movie looks like shit? A glance at Youtube shows this.

But I guess Sony would say that's internalized misogyny, because clearly women can't have opinions of their own. :awesome:

Honestly, watching Zootopia last night is what sealed the deal 100% that I'm not going to Ghostbusters next Friday. Why should I see shitty movies when there are good ones? Why should I accept less? I'm worth it. Zootopia made me pissed at bad movies. I'm not sure if I like it more than Captain America: Civil War as far as 2016 movies go, but whereas Civil War was really good, you could tell even on-screen just how much work they had to do fixing up shit from other movies. It was skillfully done, and that was apparent. Zootopia took a lot of work too, but made it feel effortless at being good.

There's no excuse for this Ghostbusters to be aiming so damn low. So fuck it.

Last edited:
Well, as long as we're talking about Ghostbusters, somebody broke the review embargo.

And it sounds like about what I expected from the trailers and interviews.

If the movie wants to portray its men as stupid, whatever, it can Lifetime itself. But "cross the streams" by zapping the final boss in the genitals? That's exactly the Pixels shit I'm talking about.

If the movie wants to portray its men as stupid, whatever, it can Lifetime itself. But "cross the streams" by zapping the final boss in the genitals? That's exactly the Pixels shit I'm talking about.
Nut shots need no translation for the international audience.

If the movie wants to portray its men as stupid, whatever, it can Lifetime itself.
Y'know, it's something I've observed in quite a few pictures with Strong Female Leads - men being relegated to being either dumb or assholes. Without wanting to Charlie the thread, it comes off as a sort of over-reaction to the portrayal of women in many other movies (helpless, damsel in distress, pretty but dumb, etc).

Y'know, it's something I've observed in quite a few pictures with Strong Female Leads - men being relegated to being either dumb or assholes. Without wanting to Charlie the thread, it comes off as a sort of over-reaction to the portrayal of women in many other movies (helpless, damsel in distress, pretty but dumb, etc).
There's a sort of movement right now to try and call out that behavior, since we see it used so much in movies, television, commercials, etc. It's experiencing a resurgence of sorts.
But it's nothing new. The smart wife/buffoon husband trope has been around since The Honeymooners and before, it's just a reversal of the "Dumb Dora" routine (e.g., Burns & Allen).

--Patrick

Paul Blart Mall Cop. Paul Blart Mall Cop. Paul Blart Mall Cop. Paul Blart Mall Cop. Paul Blart Mall Cop. Paul Blart Mall Cop. Paul Blart Mall Cop.

Ghostbusters denied release in China because... no one is interested in it?

So regardless of whether or not this movie is actually good, it's not getting a sequel because it cost 144 million to make and is only going to pull 50 mil in the US unless it's a SMASH HIT. That means that the rest of the world minus China has to pull in 90 mil just to break even.
It's expected to make $50M in the opening weekend, not over the whole theatrical release. Still, not going to China's going to hurt.

Heh, I think it's hilarious they didn't even syncing the "Let's go Ghostbusters!" line in the frigging intro. Most cartoons have stellar animated openings compared to the show itself.
Filmation spent most of each episode's budget on the spinning Norm Prescott/Lou Scheimer producer credit. :p

you could always just wait and form an opinion after you see the movie instead of extrapolating a two hour movie based on 1-3 second morsels put together by the marketing team

So... you guys have never formed an opinion on a movie based on trailers or marketing?
That's the whole point of a trailer: to sell you on a movie. It gives you a glimpse of the actors ability to portray a role, what the special effects will look like, snippets of the story, and (usually) the tone of the movie.

Most times, I can judge a movie just fine based on a trailer. When I saw the trailer for Green Lantern, some of my friends thought it looked awesome. I thought it looked like crap from the get-go. Funny enough, those same friends went to see it and thought the movie was crap. I bite my tongue to say I told them so. :p

I'm not sure how to feel about Rogue One yet. It feels a little Hunger Games for me so far.
I don't know what that means, honestly.

To me, it looks like a movie version of a really good West End Games Star Wars D6 campaign - a ragtag group of misfits, a nigh impossible mission, and lots of explosions and blaster-fire. I am super excited for it.