Moleskine

Status
Not open for further replies.
As one who owns and regularly uses several Moleskine notebooks, is it bad that I turned up my nose and scoffed at the fact that Kurz not only mentioned the brand by name in a blog update, but published the most recent comic as photographed pages from Moleskine notebooks?

I used to regularly buy blank notebooks of various brands, only to use them as long as they still held their shape. When I got to Moleskine on my crusade, I managed to fill one before it fell apart, and it's still in decent enough shape for me to throw in the bottom of a bag and tote around town without worry.

Who else uses a Moleskine notebook? I think it's time for me to drown my elitism with the knowledge that I am not the only person in the world intimately familiar with the brand.

Also, I'm sure there are other brands that hold up just as well or better than Moleskines use. Whether for sketching, or writing, or note taking ... what kind of books do you use?

I have a small pocket one. I don't really care for it. It's not fountain pen friendly, there's far too much bleed-through. If I use a medium or flex nib it makes the opposite side of the page useless.

I use a Clairefontaine notebook as my current journal. It's one of the best notebooks out there for fountain pen users. Rhodia is another brand favored by that bunch. Target carries them, but the only type I've found is the graph ruled. When my Clairefontaine book is full, I've got a Miquelrius notebook on standby. It's a little "slower" than the Clairefontaine, as there's a bit more drag on the pen. Sometimes with the Clairefontaine it feels like the page is too slippery, and I have a distinct lack of control. "No brakes" is a good way to put it.

(As for my pens, I have 2 Esterbrook Js and a Sheaffer Admiral loaded up at the moment. One of the Js has the 9128 flex nib, and the other with a 9550 extra fine. The Admiral is a medium nib. The Esties are filled with Noodler's Van Gogh Starry Night blue-black, and the Sheaffer with Parker Quink black. I have a couple of Esterbrook SJs on the sidelines.)

CynicismKills said:
My friend and I were laughing at these in a Barnes & Noble yesterday.
I should elaborate that we were laughing because the selling point is "famous people used this thing! Hemingway! Picasso!"

Which basically says to me "you'll be as much of a genius as these guys if you buy our overpriced journal!"

It's silly, really. Just go spend 5-8 bucks on a normal one.

*raises his hand*

There are times that I come up with a good writing idea and need to jot it down immediately.

H

Heavan

As a hobby-writer, I too get ideas that need to be written down posthaste. Only, I use some cool two cent memopads my dad gets for free (steals for me) from a forgotten supply closet where he works.
Please, keep your envy to a minimum :toocool:

I use the 99 cent notebooks and Bic pens... It would be nice to have a good sturdy notebook that doesn't fall apart in my backpack but I basically am forced into buying whatever is cheap because I am broke as a joke.

C

cvgurau

I have a few spiral-bound notepads, and a couple large notebooks. I alternate between them as the mood strikes me (which makes going back over weeks or months-old notes kinda disjointing, but nothing I haven't been able to work out thus far).

None of them were more than 5 bucks.

My father works at a posh university, and this year, when they presented their courses, the assistants recieved a free medium sized moleskine with the logo of the university on the cover. I got one for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.