Michael Bay is from the future and I can prove it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

curbstreet

There has always been a specific tone to Bays movies and I finally figured out what it is.

Bay's movies are pre-nostalgia.

The nostaligia ladened movies that will be made in 2060-2070 about the late 90s and early 2000 era are the exact same movies that Bay is making now. It finally clicked when I caught Armageddon this weekend, or really any Bay movie. The blatant ra ra go America feeling in Bays movies which are filled with rose tinted preceptions of current events and people could only be made by a man who has come from the future to show us how much he loves the time we are living in.

Bay's movies seem over the top and ridiculous now but in the future where Bay is from his movies are considered stone cold dead on accurate nostalgic portrayals of our time. But when viewing what you love so much through rose tinted glasses you are bound to get some things wrong, like giant ghetto Transformers who can't read. Or a dual shuttle launch where the shuttles fly just like Xwings. Or yes some times you forget that your movie will need a plot to go along with the nostalgia.

This popped into my head and it felt like an interesting way to view his body of work and suddenly I think I'll be able to enjoy nearly any Bay film past and present from now on.

Just think of it this way. When you watch any movie from the the 1940's through 1960's and I'll use movies like This Island Earth or even a classic like Forbidden Planet as examples. They are all drenched in the acting styles and tones that scream what area they are from, and even when they are groan inducing bad we still appreciate them because they feel like a stylized snapshot of those times.

I don't know if this makes any sense but I had to post about it.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Forbidden Planet is fantastic, though! And not for the reasons you are saying. It's incredibly inventive and well made, and the special effects are very good. Forbidden Planet holds up very, very well.

EDIT: I do agree that Michael Bay's films will not stand the test of time at all (which is what I think you're getting at). I agree that in 30 years, we'll look at them like we looked on the terrible science fiction and horror of the fifties, since they are, after all, nothing more than B-movies with A-budgets.

C

curbstreet

I'm not trying to directly compare Bays movies to Forbidden Planet or This Island Earth but wanted to say that one of the reasons I like those movies so much is thier tone. Acting styles change and one of the reasons I enjoy movies from that area is that the acting, how the movie communicates its message to me is different from the styles today, but I still enjoy as a snapshot of thier time.

Kissinger said:
I agree that in 30 years, we'll look at them like we looked on the terrible science fiction and horror of the fifties, since they are, after all, nothing more than B-movies with A-budgets.
30 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.