Export thread

Mass Effect 3 : It's here and thy ending is queeeeeeer.

Limit: 500

Jay

Jay

Yeah! We need an official thread for this.

Heck, who's looking forward to the ME2 DLC Arrival coming on the 29th? Apparently it'll give a lot of clues what goes on between ME2 and ME3

YEAAAAHHH

@Li3n

@Li3n

I just hope they don't continue the trend of turning it into just a cover shooter and add back some more RPG stuff.

And that this time around they give you a better selection of weapons from the get go instead of you having to buy DLC to get near a satisfying number of weapons.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So far the only thing that has me scared is the fact they are really promoting the fact that the Reapers are attacking Earth. I am thinking they are going to turn a section of Earth into this games "Kirkwall" and we won't have the intergalactic travel we had in the first two games. I am sure my fears are unwarranted, but after DA2 I can't shake the dread.

I totally agree on the weapons, we need a bit more selection and they need to be a bit more varied. I think the only selection that really had a lot of good variance was the heavy weapons line. Also, it would be nice if you could at least customize the look of the squads, even if you don't get to choose equipment for them (you know, just like that little closet ME2 had for Shepard, only for companions instead.)

This thread does remind me how sad I am that I couldn't seem to retrieve my ME2 save when my computer perished. Guess I have to find that save site again or play through one more time (which I may not mind, since I would like to see how it looks on my newer computer).

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

They need more weapons, more armor and more stuff... mass effect 1 had almost too much variety... mass effect 2 had squat all.

I have faith that Bioware will do a good job on this even though I felt they dropped the ball big time on dragon age 2.

Any speculation as to whether they will bring back characters from the first one as squad mates? Ashley? Kaidan? Liara? All the choices from the second one too? I'm excited to see who they incorporate (got all my save files ready from multiple playthroughs lol).

Jay

Jay

So far the only thing that has me scared is the fact they are really promoting the fact that the Reapers are attacking Earth. I am thinking they are going to turn a section of Earth into this games "Kirkwall" and we won't have the intergalactic travel we had in the first two games. I am sure my fears are unwarranted, but after DA2 I can't shake the dread.
This is what you just did to me :

FUUUUUUU

Gusto

Gusto

Have faith Jay. The Mass Effect team has never steered me wrong.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They need more weapons, more armor and more stuff... mass effect 1 had almost too much variety... mass effect 2 had squat all.
Horseshit.

Mass Effect 1 had 4 guns and a grenade. Sure there were countless variations in stats, but they were all basically the same 4 guns.

Mass Effect 2 had 14 guns that all had completely different mechanics.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Yet to me Mass Effect 2 felt like it had way fewer guns even though you're right about the mechanics of them. I like the ridiculous amount of variations of your basic weapons... it felt like you were finding more and more powerful weapons (and when you get the Spectre gear later on those guns feel badass). I never really got that feeling of increasing power with the ME2 weapons (except when firing the mass accelerator heavy weapon which gobbles so much ammo you can only fire it a few times per game).

It's probably the upgrades that I miss the most... I liked being able to modify the weapons and armour and I really felt that was missing from ME2. ME2 had a kickass armour customization feature but honestly, I didn't notice any difference with the armour upgrades that you could add (other than their look). Why not have form and function?

Please note I really enjoyed both games and actually felt that most changes from ME1 to ME2 were very positive... which is why I'm still thinking that they will get ME3 right.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Mass Effect 2 had 14 guns that all had completely different mechanics.
The heavy weapons don't count...

And the normal weapons, barring some of the DLC ones, certainly didn't feel all that different, even if they where a bit more diverse then in ME1 (although the lack of choice in upgrades made ME2's weapons feel less diverse).

ME1 did have way too many useless ones, but ME2 took it too far in the other direction. It really should have at least come with all the DLC normal weapons from the get-go imo...

Scrapping the I-X was fine, but i'd preferred if they had kept the different manufacturers, with each having different advantages for each type of gun, and just kept the weapon upgrades that go into slots (and only have 5 levels, or even just 3).

Please note I really enjoyed both games and actually felt that most changes from ME1 to ME2 were very positive... which is why I'm still thinking that they will get ME3 right.
IMO they changed the stuff that needed changing, but except the combat system (which has new problems, aka Jack is useless on Insanity), they didn't get it as right as they should.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The heavy weapons don't count...
I didn't count them.

There's 14 guns without counting heavy weapons or DLC.

http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/mass-effect-2-weapons-guide-minor-spoilers/1544/

Math242

Math242

I can't wait.

Jay

Jay

Remoted home, downloading Arrival DLC, gonna have 0 dev done on D&D campaign tonight. :)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Let us know how arrival is tomorrow... I'm assuming you'll be up all night finishing it ;)

Gusto

Gusto

Downloading....

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I dig the lone commando thing it has going.

And that's that then.

When it was revealed to be just another add on mission and not something that takes place after the suicide mission at the end of the game, I knew it was going to end up being some more status quo stuff. It was ok, nothing special.

Jay

Jay

Got home, started playing... just finished before 7... so yeah... it's slightly a bit more than one hour gameplay and I actually took time to admire the work done.

I felt it was very inclined towards the .... renegade. Even if I tried to be Paragon the game kinda interrupted me and went "TOO BAD PALADIN" and literally streamrolled me with a good ol' "the fix is in" continually to fit the plans of the storyline.

The 5 waves of death sucked ass to even try on Insanity difficulty especially on solo and since my Shepard was a Sentinel support type with emphasis survivability with Warp and Armor it was very frustrating and finally I had to lower the level a few notches... to basically have the same "outcome". Survive 5 rounds for an achievement and take it up the ass!

It's very interesting to say the least but the most interesting part is Admiral Hackett who... showed up! I was like, WHOA.

Despite the Steamrolling, I'm interesting how things will go... now that I'm technically a mass murderer.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Got home, started playing... just finished before 7... so yeah... it's slightly a bit more than one hour gameplay and I actually took time to admire the work done.

I felt it was very inclined towards the .... renegade. Even if I tried to be Paragon the game kinda interrupted me and went "TOO BAD PALADIN" and literally streamrolled me with a good ol' "the fix is in" continually to fit the plans of the storyline.

The 5 waves of death sucked ass to even try on Insanity difficulty especially on solo and since my Shepard was a Sentinel support type with emphasis survivability with Warp and Armor it was very frustrating and finally I had to lower the level a few notches... to basically have the same "outcome". Survive 5 rounds for an achievement and take it up the ass!

It's very interesting to say the least but the most interesting part is Admiral Hackett who... showed up! I was like, WHOA.

Despite the Steamrolling, I'm interesting how things will go... now that I'm technically a mass murderer.
I was an infiltrator on my insane game. If it wasn't for the cloak I would never have passed the 5 waves. I basically would end up cloaking, dashing from one side to the other, snipe, hide until cloak cools off, repeat.

Actually getting to see Hackett was probably the high point.

Gusto

Gusto

Really? Just an hour? I won't have the full faculty to play it well until tomorrow morning, but that's kind of a disappointment.

Jay

Jay

If you take your time (kinda hard as it's mostly action sequence to the next) maybe you can get 90 minutes?

Gusto

Gusto

Jeez. Well I hope the narrative is at least satisfying.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ehhh...not really.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I feel bad for anyone going through the Arrival as an adept.

Jay

Jay

I got 4 Shepards

Jason - Sentinel (main, goodie two shoes, veteran)
Raph - Adept (i do whatever i fucken want, insanity)
Simkin - Vanguard (I'll fuck you, insanity)

going to play another game soon enough, prolly a femshep, I love Jennifer Hale's voice, probably Infiltrator. I think Engineers are underpowered for the high levels (no tali :() and soldier is boring as hell.

I could see how Adapt can be an issue in this DLC.

Gusto

Gusto

Adept could be difficult?

Errik Shepard's gonna have his work cut out for him.

*naming Shepard's after DnD characters highfive!*

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Adept will be difficult.

I hope you're playing on a lower difficulty.

Gusto

Gusto

Bring it. :)

Miranda and Grunt got my back. :D

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Nope. Shep goes this mission alone.

Gusto

Gusto

Well this'll be fun. :)

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah, this was major disappoint, and lacked any actual choices...

And the Mu Relay survived a supernova, no way they should have been able to destroy one like that...they should have just damage it and knock it out of the system or something.

I didn't count them.

There's 14 guns without counting heavy weapons or DLC.

http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/mass-effect-2-weapons-guide-minor-spoilers/1544/
Oh right, i forgot about the 3 collector ship choice guns and the Geth rifle you get for higher difficulty... haven't played a Soldier yet.

Gusto

Gusto

Just played through on my Renegade Adept.

God DAMN.

I enjoyed it, but it'll be interesting to see how things go with my MAIN playthrough, the Paragon.

Gusto

Gusto

Backup squad!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Gusto, my reaction to that pic can only be summarized as "wat."

I wish they would bring back the heat dissipation mechanic from Mass Effect 1. The whole "heat sinks" deal was poorly thought out, in terms of gameplay and universe consistency, and was actually a step back in terms of innovation. It didn't make the game all that less fun to play, but it's like Bioware decided their game was too different from everyone else and wanted to blend in with the crowd.

It won't happen, but at least I can dream.

Math242

Math242

the real problem was that once you got a spectre rifle with the good mods, you would never overheat again.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Which is one of the universe inconsistencies I mentioned. They stated in game that the heat sink system allowed combatants to fire more shots in a given amount of time, but my rookie Spectre is able to disprove that with just a few weapon mods.

Eh, I just think it was a good system, and then they abandoned it for a generic ammo system.

@Li3n

@Li3n

the real problem was that once you got a spectre rifle with the good mods, you would never overheat again.
And they fixed it by giving you a 1 sec delay while you reload while never actually running out of ammo...

Would have been better if they kept the heat dissipation system for when you ran out of thermal clips (obviously they'd overheat faster then in ME1, justify by saying the new thermal clip using weapons have less heat sinks for obvious reasons) and made thermal clips a bit harder to get...
Added at: 14:50
Just played through on my Renegade Adept.

God DAMN.

I enjoyed it, but it'll be interesting to see how things go with my MAIN playthrough, the Paragon.
It will be exactly the same but with less asshole dialogue from Shep.

bhamv3

bhamv3

There's a mod (well, more like a config tweak) for ME2 which adds the heat system back partially. Your ammo "regenerates" over time, representing your weapon dissipating heat. If your weapon reaches zero ammo (representing the heat reaching a critical level) you load a new heat sink into the weapon.

I found it an acceptable compromise.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

That actually sounds pretty good... I may have to go find that mod.

Jay

Jay

The only mod I installed was blonde Miranda.... mmm Yvonne.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I haven't tried any mods on it yet... Where is a good place to download them from?

My Name's NCTS_Dodge_Man and Grunt is my favorite character.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Will have to check that out later. Thanks!

Gusto

Gusto

Judging from some GIS screens, blonde Miranda just doesn't seem.... right to me.

Jay

Jay

Looks far better in game, especially in that loyalty suit. ^.^

Evil femshep has been created.

Jay

Jay

The part where Joker comes back and he shows me the Normandy 2 always gets me to have...*cough* manly tears.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yes I love that scene, but then again Joker is one of my favorite characters in general. I was very happy when I found out that both he and Garrus were returning, since I loved the banter the two would have with my Shepard.

Jay

Jay

Got Mordin, Zaeed, Kasumi, Grunt thus far. Insanity is kinda sweet but makes me feel shields are pretty goddamn useless with all the auto-targeting going on from the NPCs. Thank god for my invisibility ability.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, I don't know how insanity is played without being an infiltrator.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah, I don't know how insanity is played without being an infiltrator.
Once you get all the relevant upgrades you can even use Charge mid-battle, as long as there's cover somewhere near the target.

Jay

Jay

Damn, Gamespot gave Arrival 5/10 and the ever generous IGN gave it a 7/10. Ouch

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I haven't picked up any of the DLC yet - I've got it for my PC. I'm thinking I'll probably get Kasumi and Lair of the Shadow Broker - what is conversion rate for Bioware points to actual $$ (am at work and can only see the Bioware point cost from Wikipedia)?

I'm unsure about getting Arrival with those reviews.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

560 points = 7 bucks or something. It's exactly like the horseshit Xbox live points. You can't buy them in quantities that they sell DLC for.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'm unsure about getting Arrival with those reviews.
Arrival is terrible. Skip it.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I never played Kasumi but I did download lair of the shadow broker and I felt is was quite good... so I do recommend that one.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Kasumi's ok and Shadow Broker is great in that it should have been in the game from the start way but yeah, Arrival, not so good.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I liked what I saw/read about LotSB so I plan on getting that one. Is there any other DLC content (which looks mostly to be more weaponry/armor) that is worth buying at all (besides Kasumi)?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Nah, all the weapon packs and alternate costumes are pointless fodder.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

560 points = 7 bucks or something. It's exactly like the horseshit Xbox live points. You can't buy them in quantities that they sell DLC for.
So you have to buy points and can't just purchase a DLC directly?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Overlord was pretty good.
The weapon pack with the Geth Shotgun helps shotgun using teammates that aren't Grunt stay alive.

Beyond that, eh.

Jay

Jay

Overlord and Shadow Broker are the cream of the crop.
Everything else.
Then Arrival

Gusto

Gusto

I don't regret getting Arrival. I'm gonna old off on playing it on my main until like a week before ME3 for maximum impact.

Jay

Jay

I don't regret getting Arrival. I'm gonna old off on playing it on my main until like a week before ME3 for maximum impact.

Gusto

Gusto

Maxium Impact indeed.

Like that but with a bit less red armor and a couple more tits.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Arrival has a couple of problems. One is the game is its Shep only play. It's kind of cool as a change of pace, but ME2 is balanced around squad composition. If Shep doesn't have the ability to deal with something, he can just bring along a companion who can. With only Shep, the mission counterpicks certain classes.

Then the story is dissatisfying. Arrival is all about how the reapers are going to be showing up extremely soon, and it's up to Shep to delay their progress so they don't show up until ME3. Since the reapers wouldn't have shown up until ME3 anyway, it doesn't feel like you accomplished anything significant.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah, they could have at least included the Reapers showing up in the system after the big kaboom en mass... and then show them splitting up to get to the nearest relays or something...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Hey look, it's KAidan in actual bloody armour: http://gamingeverything.com/?p=3178

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Holy shit... thanks for those pics @li3n... that's exciting stuff!!!

Glad to see some characters confirmed to return (provided they didn't die off in an earlier playthrough that is).

Hard to tell from the scan, but Ashley looks a hell of a lot better than she did in the first two games :). Kaiden is looking pretty badass too.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Hard to tell from the scan, but Ashley looks a hell of a lot better than she did in the first two games :). Kaiden is looking pretty badass too.
Besides the chin frankly she doesn't look like Ashley to me... her eyes are way to lazy, it's like she's had surgery or something: http://gamingeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/mass-effect-3_2/me3_sc-10.jpg

Kaidan is done pretty well though, there's an actual resemblance.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Yeah, the eyes could use a little work... they're kind of off. I still recognized her as Ash before I saw the caption... but the expression does seem kind of lazy/aloof. The hair also changes her look a lot. There's still a long ways to release so I'm confident those sorts of issues will be worked out :).

Kaidan is done well... no arguments there.

I'm loving all the different armour pieces I'm seeing in these photos... some kickass designs there. I hope there will be actual armour customization for squad mates so you can give them your own personal touch.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I still recognized her as Ash before I saw the caption...
I didn't... she did look familiar, but i didn't make the connection until someone pointed it out (didn't read the text in the pic to avoid spoilers, i already had how ME3 starts spoiled).

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm doing my very best to avoid spoilers like that... you've already had the beginning ruined? Bummer man.

Jay

Jay

Indeed, no spoilers, just a whole lot of anticipation.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm doing my very best to avoid spoilers like that... you've already had the beginning ruined? Bummer man.

Well there's still the question if
the whole thing is spun out of The Arrival or simply working with Cerberus...
so i still have something to look forward to (although after the Leliana in DA2 thing and how Arrival shoe-horned you into the same result for any type of character isn't a good sign).

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Spoilers on some Mass Effect 3 stuff is here at Kotaku and here at Bioware forums.

Every weapon is modular and can be customized with up to five modifications... WOHOO! They'll be like the lightsabers in KOTOR - I really liked that feature.

"Turian homeworld Palaven and the Quarian homeworld Rannoch are early new destinations." Interesting for those who romanced Garrus or Tali - you can now visit their homeworld if they survived?

@Li3n

@Li3n

"Turian homeworld Palaven and the Quarian homeworld Rannoch are early new destinations." Interesting for those who romanced Garrus or Tali - you can now visit their homeworld if they survived?
I just hope that this time around they'll be more then just places where you recruit someone and then you're off to the last mission.

Also, i better not have to give turians gems or Quarians runes to make their troops better... i'd rather have quests that improve your forces for the end battle...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Lets see some of the females of all these races. As far as we've seen so far, Turians and Salarians are entirely male. I'd count Volus, jellyfish monsters and those big guys whose names I can't remember but I'm just assuming we wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

Jay

Jay

Krogan

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Nah, we know where the Krogan wimmens be at. They explained that away in ME2. I meant those big lumbering dudes. Google reminds me they are called Elcor.

@Li3n

@Li3n

All the elcor women are probably still watching that Hamlet play...

Baerdog

Baerdog

[Enthusiastic Praise] Truly one of Shakespeare's greatest works.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Though it could be really odd and we have seen Elcor women and they act and look exactly like the men...........:Leyla:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Though it could be really odd and we have seen Elcor women and they act and look exactly like the men...........:Leyla:
[Mild Annoyance]We most certainly do not... our inflections are quite more distinct then those between your own species males and females.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I think the Codex entry for Salarians say they keep their females almost exclusively on their homeworld... Something about breeding.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

That would make sense considering the complexity and importance of Salarian breeding contracts.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I think the Codex entry for Salarians say they keep their females almost exclusively on their homeworld... Something about breeding.

If i remember roght ME1 said that Salarian females are just 10% of the population.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Turian females could also be visually indistinguishable from males. For all we know, Garrus is a girl.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Oh, he's a guy.
He had reach, but she had flexibility.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

We've got a release date - 3/6/12

A bit of video from E3 also. They showed Ashley's new design... Looks interesting. Also showed Captain Anderson as a party member!!!.

@Li3n

@Li3n

This video's last minute made me thing Gears of Mass Effect War: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714871

Jay

Jay

Underwhelmed by the video....

Math242

Math242

oh god, they can't fuck this game up.

oh god
oh god
oh god

@Li3n

@Li3n

CE:

Man, i really hope the game has way more weapons then ME2, because otherwise 4 weapons restricted to the CE is a giant chunk of the available ones...

There are better ones on gametrailers, i just assumed you'd know how to look. Of course they all only show gunplay...

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

This is probably the first and last collectors edition of a game I will ever buy...

DON'T FUCK IT UP EA!!!! (and stop wasting time adding functionality for the god damn Kinect... spend that time polishing the game)

MindDetective

MindDetective

Not that we'll ever know, but I bet MS asked EA to add Kinect functionality and probably gave them some incentive to do it. EA probably added a Kinect team to the development cycle rather than gave the existing teams more to work on. Of course, it means more functionality to debug...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Robotic dog?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Not that we'll ever know, but I bet MS asked EA to add Kinect functionality and probably gave them some incentive to do it. EA probably added a Kinect team to the development cycle rather than gave the existing teams more to work on. Of course, it means more functionality to debug...
I hope against all hope that you're right... but more often than not companies don't put the proper money and resources into these sorts of things and other aspects suffer accordingly.

Robotic dog?
I just noticed that... what possible use could that have? (maybe it's a prelude to the Mass Effect Petz expansion :Leyla:)

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

One of those dog-like mechs that we see as a "pet" - what the heck?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

UGHHH

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

This smells like Dragon Age 2 so bad. In order to get THE ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, you have to buy the more expensive version of the game or buy them for ridiculous prices on day one.

FUCK OFF.

General Specific

General Specific

Personally, I am a huge fan of the series and the videos shown just make me want to play it right now.

I would sell my soul in order to have a finished copy in my hands.

Hang on, there's an extremely sunburned man at my door asking if I have any open wounds...

Disconnected

I bet MS asked EA to add Kinect functionality and probably gave them some incentive to do it...
I'm gonna agree with that. money seems like a good reason to throw this into a big title like this.
sigh.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Personally, I am a huge fan of the series and the videos shown just make me want to play it right now.
Just to clarify... I am a completely rabid fan of the Mass Effect series (Have played through ME1 6 times and ME2 4 times)... hell, I'm building Mass Effect props and costumes as well in my spare time (I want a display case full of the crap for my entertainment room).

I'm just wary of all this bullshit they keep advertising... and the development time I see wasted on useless crap. You know what we want more than different armor graphics, guns, kinect interactivity and GOD DAMN PETS? A well polished game worthy of the title of Mass Effect 3 with a kick ass ending to the trilogy. I swear if they give this game the Dragon Age 2 treatment I will swear off Bioware forever.

And Frankie... I'm feeling your pain...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well ME does have the advantage as starting out as a more action oriented game where pushing a button did "something awesome"... so they can't really DA2 it... (plus, they already did for ME2).

Jay

Jay

I'm scared.

@Li3n

@Li3n

bhamv3

bhamv3

Honestly... underwhelmed right now. Can't exactly put my finger on the reason, but the videos aren't making me want to rush out and buy the game.

Also, I see ammo counters instead of heat indicators. I hate ammo counters.

Markturner

I actually kind of like the idea of having a mix between ME1 and ME2 style weaponry. I just hope they don't have the same sort of inventory system than ME1 had. I will quit this game if they bring that abomination back.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Inventory systems designed for consoles always suck. I miss the good proper inventories that can only be properly taken advantage of with a mouse.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Inventory systems designed for consoles always suck. I miss the good proper inventories that can only be properly taken advantage of with a mouse.
You know, that got me thinking, the Wii U's touch screen being used for an inventory could pretty much approximate the way a mouse based inventory works...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really wish they'd release a Trilogy edition of this for folks who don't have the original games. I have the first on PC but I'd love a way to get all three on 360.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Or PS3.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Bah... they gave you something that lets you make all the decisions that carried over. Anyone on the 360 HAS to buy the original game to make those decisions.

General Specific

General Specific

Bah... they gave you something that lets you make all the decisions that carried over. Anyone on the 360 HAS to buy the original game to make those decisions.
Actually, they released a DLC for the comic book thing for the 360.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, they released a DLC for the comic book thing for the 360.
So you can use that instead of playing part 1? Because that would make it much easier for me... I'd just buy part 2 and 3.

General Specific

General Specific

Yup, it's like 320 points, so $3 or $4, I guess? Not really sure.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought Mass Effect 2 just had a summary opening.

Jay

Jay

Heh console gamers...

Kinect... *snickers*

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I watched that summary thing they made for PS3. It is complete shit and gives you VERY little to work with, doesn't give you all the choices that carry over, just a few important ones and is overall very shitty.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, so I'm left with either getting a 360 or waiting until I get a gaming-capable PC after taxes in 2012.

Jay

Jay

PC! Get it! Geeet it!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I must concur with Jay...

PC ALL THE WAY!

@Li3n

@Li3n

For 300$ you can get a PC that plays ME2 easy...

My bro's new 700$ PC can play any game, and if Newegg wasn't half a world away he would have gotten it for 600$ even...

GET A PC!

Disconnected

I watched that summary thing they made for PS3. It is complete shit and gives you VERY little to work with, doesn't give you all the choices that carry over, just a few important ones and is overall very shitty.
Don't be hatin'.
In my opinion the smaller choices didn't carry over in any meaningful way really other than "oh hey look it's me, you saw me in the last game remember we did this? ya." For some that is enough though, and perhaps they will make it into 3 (which i think would be great if they brought some minor chararacters back).

The comic thing in no way can replace the first game but I don't think it's complete shit. It does its job and gets new players into the world quickly for PS3. Plus I can't stand ME1 controls so I'm glad I don't have to play it if I don't want to.
(I base my opionion on having played pc, 360 and ps3 versions).

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I noticed on the PC that if you didn't play ME1, in ME2, you don't get a choice for the status of Wrex through the "history areas" of Miranda and Jacob's questions before Freedom's Progress.

I played it through but tried it out to do a new ME2 character to see what happened and noticed that from the ones I imported. To me, Wrex is one of the best characters of ME1 and to not be given a choice was a disappointment.

Disconnected

I noticed on the PC that if you didn't play ME1, in ME2, you don't get a choice for the status of Wrex through the "history areas" of Miranda and Jacob's questions before Freedom's Progress.

I played it through but tried it out to do a new ME2 character to see what happened and noticed that from the ones I imported. To me, Wrex is one of the best characters of ME1 and to not be given a choice was a disappointment.
You need the comic add-on for the ME1 choices and plots to continue on. If you play ME2 without playing ME1 and have no comic you are given a default plot that does not have certain things and removes certain references so that they have less to explain.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

You need the comic add-on for the ME1 choices and plots to continue on. If you play ME2 without playing ME1 and have no comic you are given a default plot that does not have certain things and removes certain references so that they have less to explain.
Which I understand, less to explain, just was disappointing if you don't have the comic. But since I have ME1, I import my characters anyway - just wanted to see what was different if I didn't.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

For 300$ you can get a PC that plays ME2 easy...

My bro's new 700$ PC can play any game, and if Newegg wasn't half a world away he would have gotten it for 600$ even...

GET A PC!
Show me this magic PC.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, I want to see a ground up PC for 300 dollars that can play ME2 easily.

That means well.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Same. Your looking at around 200+ for the memory and the mother board alone. A decent video card is going to cost at least another hundred off of Pricewatch. That still leaves a power supply and the actual case, not to mention the cost of updating your operating system (hell... I'm STILL stuck using XP) if you need to do so.

Now if we're talking $500 dollars then yeah, you could do it and you'd do it well. But your going to be pushing it at the $300 mark and once it goes over that, it would be simpler just to buy a console for the same experience.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well it' 400$, but close enough: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-build-a-pc-overclock,2739.html (and that's from almost 9 months ago)

And ME2 can run on a 6800, with 1GB RAM even... but yeah, you're better off just going to 500-600$, i was just pointing out that ME2's reqs are pretty low.

And of course i wasn't taking into account the OS, as that's never been something you buy over here... and it's not like ME2 needs 64bits, so your old XP will do.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think I'm just a little pissed at my PC. I've been sans video card for over a year now and it's because I have an endless parade of used parts going into my PC to fix parts that go bad. If it's not my video card, it's my mother board. If it's not the motherboard, it's the DVD drive. If it's not the DVD drive, it's the memory going bad. If it's not the memory, the hard drive fails.

I like PC gaming a lot, but I HATE having to fix my own PC.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Hey, did you know I almost shot my computer monitor today?

If this is true, which I don't believe until it is reported somewhere reputable.

Some checking seems to show that this is horseshit to drag up hits to a shitty site so I deleted their link. No tacked on multiplayer.

figmentPez

figmentPez

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh hey look... Shego made a trailer.

Jay

Jay

Who?

Jay

Jay

Ahhh shit... they are at it again.

http://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-3-deluxe-edition-is-only-on-origin--205576.phtml

In what many be able to call a predictable move, Electronic Arts has announced its proprietary digital service Origin as the only place to download the enhanced version of Mass Effect 3. As boasted by the service itself, it will be the "Exclusive source for the PC Digital Deluxe Download ."

So far it seems that only the Deluxe Edition will be exclusive, as perhaps not even EA is stupid enough to restrict the game entirely to its silly little Internet Shoppe.

Those ordering from Origin will receive three in-game items -- the N7 Arsenal Pack, the Robotic Dog and the Squadmate Alternate Outfit Pack. The digital deluxe version costs $79.99, which frankly sounds like way too much for a download that just has three extra pieces of content in it.
Who the fuck pays an extra 20 bucks for a DLC armour, different looks and a pet?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why not just wait for a GOTY-type edition?

Or buy from Steam and forgo the items entirely? I don't see why people get upset about the Day 1 DLC and exclusivity--it's a lame business practice, but if you ever stop to look at the DLCs, it doesn't seem like you're missing out on anything great.

@Li3n

@Li3n

but if you ever stop to look at the DLCs, it doesn't seem like you're missing out on anything great.
Yeah, the only enjoyable launch day DLC so far was Shale, and she was actually free, and was supposed to be in the game anyway, they just decided to use her as a new purchase thing (which is why she's actually integrated in to the Orzammar story).

Jay

Jay

That's true. Everything is optional.

It however doesn't mean I can't mention it's starting to look like a complete cash grab with a game 3/4 of a year away. 20$ for that? Get the fuck out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For 20 bucks I'd better be getting AT LEAST a feelie, a soundtrack, AND an art book. You can substitute a DLC for one of those, but not ALL of them.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Figured I'd throw this in here. More confirmation that a Mass Effect movie is indeed being worked on:

Comic-Con 2011: Legendary Pictures Announces Panel Featuring Guillermo del Toro’s PACIFIC RIM, PARADISE LOST, MASS EFFECT and SEVENTH SON

bhamv3

bhamv3

On the one hand, the Mass Effect games are so cinematic they're almost destined for a movie.

On the other hand, how do you cram the richness of the Mass Effect universe into a three hour movie without turning it into a watered down parody of itself?

Baerdog

Baerdog

With explosions?

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

6 Movies - First 2 covering ME1, second 2 covering ME2, and the final 2 covering ME3. We can dream, right?

Though the question would be, John or Jane Shepard?

General Specific

General Specific

Well, canonically it's John Shepard, though I would personally like to see Jane

figmentPez

figmentPez

Apparently Bioware is letting people vote on the look of the new fem Shep. Option six is inspired by cosplayer Holly Conrad.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Samus... I mean Blond Shep is ahead by almost twice as much as it's closest competitor. Which is a shame, because I voted #4.

bhamv3

bhamv3

What's wrong with default Femshep? They're using the default Maleshep on the cover, after all.

And I think I'd have to go for Blondeshep myself.

Dei

Dei

Blonde Shep looks most like mine, have to go with that.

@Li3n

@Li3n

What's wrong with default Femshep? They're using the default Maleshep on the cover, after all.
Yeah, i'd go for default FemShep too...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They all have the same face and it looks nothing like default femshep.

WHY ISN'T THERE A LONGER HAIRED RED VERSION?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I never played a femshep in the game, but I think number 1 is the closest to what I'd picture a femshep to look like.

Jay

Jay

They all have the same face and it looks nothing like default femshep.

WHY ISN'T THERE A LONGER HAIRED RED VERSION?
Definitely need long hair.

Voted #4, she looks like a star in bed.

@Li3n

@Li3n

FemShep #5 is clearly winning...

So here you go, official Sheps:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Man, i still wish they'd just touch up the default femshep to make her more detailed, like maleShep is:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

5 with red fucking hair would be fine.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Gotta agree with the red hair there Frankie... :)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

True 'dat.

Seems to be a general consensus across the gaming world... wonder why it is that gamers seem to prefer redheads?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's not that I prefer it. It's just that the default character has been a red head in both games so far.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Fair enough.... I'm not gonna lie - Nothing can top the copper-top. :csi:

figmentPez

figmentPez

True 'dat.

Seems to be a general consensus across the gaming world... wonder why it is that gamers seem to prefer redheads?
Not just gamers. I think comic book fans like redheads too.

Me, I'm crazy for redheads. Though curly hair trumps red in some cases.

Far

Far

I don't mind the blond haired version but red wouldn't be a horrid choice either, at least with #5's hairstyle. Personally I'd prefer #1, seems more inline with how I play femshep. I imagine it will all be moot anyway as I'm sure they'll allow you to customize your sheps appearance again. I never played as the default male so it won't bother me what they decide to go with for the female version.

Disconnected

Well for so many 'red head lovers' they need to stop voting for the fucking blond.
My feeling is that the default John is a generic tough marine. No identifying hairstyle or marks. Femshep should have the same idea to it.

I never liked the 'drowned rat' look of the current default though. Of the options presented I like #2

@Li3n

@Li3n

I never liked the 'drowned rat' look of the current default though. Of the options presented I like #2
Teh default male was obviously modelled after someone, and was their primary character from teh get-go, and is way more detailed as a result... while the female seems to have just been put in with as much though as the other pre-set looks you can choose from...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Femshep voting has now entered Round 2. The hairstyle for Blonde Shepherd won, so now there are four colors of that one to choose from, including redhead.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/me...1645.327924.85811091644&type=1&closeTheater=1

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Helloooooo number 4!!!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Number 4 is basically my Shepard. I WIN!
Added at: 12:44
Red's hauling ass with brunette a close second. Blonde and other blonde are very distant 3rd and 4th.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Did anyone else see the new video of "Squad Leader" they posted on Facebook? I'm at work so I can't pull the link up.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ugh, the omnitool blade continues to make my skin crawl.

Jay

Jay

Please don't suck.

Please don't suck.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Ugh, the omnitool blade continues to make my skin crawl.
I gotta admit I'm with you on this... I think it's a crap idea.

And to echo Jay...

Pleeeeaaaaseeeee don't suck.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They've never shown that omnitool displays were anything but a display. A little holographic UI pops up, characters moves hand around it all Minority Report style, door opens, door is hacked, signal is sent to enemy weapons to jam, etc. They've never shown them to have substance. They could have just given them a cool looking techy knife or something on the armor they used.

Though, in Mass Effect 2 I guess they did show it as armor, which I also thought was pretty dumb.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

They've never shown that omnitool displays were anything but a display. A little holographic UI pops up, characters moves hand around it all Minority Report style, door opens, door is hacked, signal is sent to enemy weapons to jam, etc. They've never shown them to have substance. They could have just given them a cool looking techy knife or something on the armor they used.

Though, in Mass Effect 2 I guess they did show it as armor, which I also thought was pretty dumb.
In Mass Effect 4 it's a jet pack, and by the MMORPG, it will be your house, mount and a pet. At once.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Why do the character movements look like jerky claymation? Does it look that way to anyone else?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Femshep voting has now entered Round 2. The hairstyle for Blonde Shepherd won, so now there are four colors of that one to choose from, including redhead.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/media/set/?set=a.10150264015271645.327924.85811091644&type=1&closeTheater=1
Well, at least we'll get a good hair colour... still don't understand why they didn't even bother allowing us to choose defaultFemShep at all...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like Bioware is caving to the fan pressure, as I'm certain they didn't mention anything about the vote being only for her hair. I'm both pleased by this turn of events and disturbed about how they are trying to do it.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well it wouldn't make any sense not to cave to fan pressure for what is nothing more then a marketing thing.

Jay

Jay

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

And here's the winning default FemShep:

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm... strangely okay with this.

I'll be in my bunk.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hell yes!!!

Adam

Adammon

If they wanted her to have a glowing blade coming out of her arm, they should have made her Asian with purple hair while they were at it....

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Looks like it's supposed to release March 6th 2012...

Can't freaking wait!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Looks like it's supposed to release March 6th 2012...

Can't freaking wait!
One day before my birthday.

Just like Mass Effect 2.

It's like it's meant to be!

Jay

Jay

Maybe it won't suck, like Dragon Age 2....

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Maybe it won't suck, like Dragon Age 2....
Don't speak that unholy name in the presence of Mass Effect!

oh god please don't suck

Jay

Jay

And you gave me a hard time when I reviewed the shit out of it and cursed the game to fucken hell. :)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And you gave me a hard time when I reviewed the shit out of it and cursed the game to fucken hell. :)
I only really gave you a hard time because you pirated it. Those of us who spent money on it have the real right to bitch! :p

Also, you are my antithesis, so I have to.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

One of the default FemShep options next to the cosplayer they modeled her after:

A pic of her in costume from PAX Prime:

figmentPez

figmentPez

That's Holly Conrad! She and her friends at Crabcat Industries are crazy talented and their cosplay got them a job making costumes for the live action trailer for Mass Effect 3. Plus, Holly is a charming young woman in interviews and you should follow her on Twitter.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Will Tali's face be shown in Mass Effect 3? I'M continuing the romance from part 2 with her,and it is killing me not knowing what she looks like.Yeah,im shallow like that.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

From the Mass Effect 2 Facebook page:

We can officially confirm that there will be a multiplayer feature in Mass Effect 3. However, please reserve your appraisal until we are able to give more information. Our Executive Producer Casey Hudson says it best: "Yes, co-op MP missions for ME3: they're real, and they're spectacular. Rest assured it's nothing of what you've feared. More soon..."
Not sure how I feel about this.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Omnitool knife still makes me cringe.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Why are they wasting time on stuff like this? ARGLEBLARGLE!!!

I don't know... it just sounds like more pandering at the expense of a solid single player experience.

Frankie, that Omnitool knife makes me sad.

Jay

Jay

Multiplayer... Kinetic.... Arrival DLC... goddamn, I'm getting scared.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Yeah... there is so much potential here, and so much need for me to finish this series.... but it looks like it's going to be all aboard the failtrain for the end...

Baerdog

Baerdog

I'm still fucking psyched.

Disconnected

you will love it, and eat it up. mmmmmmm

Dei

Dei

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/7001/bioware-details-mass-effect-3-s-4-player-co-op-mode.html

Join your friends in the all-out galactic war to take Earth back. The universe of Mass Effect expands with the addition of new co-op multiplayer missions, playable over Xbox Live, PSN and PC internet. Players can choose from a variety of classes and races, form an elite Special Forces squad, and combine their weapons, powers and abilities to devastating effect as they fight together to liberate key territories from enemy control. Success in multi-player will have a direct impact on the outcome of the single player campaign, giving players an alternative method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind – and the entire galaxy – has ever faced.
As long as it isn't *mandatory* to get the best ending... I don't have a huge problem with it. But if it at the same time trivializes getting the best ending if you use it... then I will rage.

Far

Far

Jay

Jay

Success in multi-player will have a direct impact on the outcome of the single player campaign,
jsLGx.jpg

Frank

Frankie Williamson

God damn it.

Math242

Math242

what the fuck

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Bioware!!!! Why hast thou forsaken us?!!! WWWHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!???????

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

God damn it... It better not be required. I rarely play multiplayer in FPS/TPS style games because I just don't have the reflexes anymore, I do not want to have to do it just to get the best ending.

LordRendar

LordRendar

people found this page by searching fpr ASIAN guy PURPLE Hair? What?

-And yeah,I don't want to Multi with other people.I like my RPG's solo.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

I don't want to play multi-player FPS ... which is why I play single-player RPGs in the first place! I guess this is what the Bioware devs meant by "thinking more about commercial elements"?

I have a bad feeling about this.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Multiplayer co-op is separate from the main game: http://masseffect.bioware.com/me3/game/multiplayer

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?
Commander Shepard's part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara...these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions.
In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more... each with their own unique set of abilities.

What if I don't like multiplayer - will my experience be negatively impacted?
Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer.
The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?

BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, BioWare has a dedicated studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.
This could be it's own game and should be seperate from the development cycle of Mass Effect 3.

I'm still willing to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt but there seems to be a strong lack of focus coming through with current development trends.

Far

Far

Casey also says in the video on that page that
..."These places that Commander Shephard is trying to secure across the galaxy as part of your war assets on the singleplayer side, you're fighting to control those on the multiplayer side. And the better you do, the more control, the better your singleplayer ending will be."...
Now I'm hoping he's mispeaking as directly afterwards he does say:

..."If you want to do a really complete singleplayer playthrough, then you can absolutly get to the highest levels of success in the end game."...
Still doesn't sit well with me but until I can hear more I'll have to reserve judgement.

EDIT: Article from pc gamer clarifies a bit.
Completing side missions and plot points in single player will earn you a currency called ‘war assets’ which enables you to ‘buy’ allies, fleets and other support options to aid you in the fight against the Reapers. Completing all or most of the content in single player will net you enough war assets to save the galaxy, but you can also earn them by playing the multiplayer mode. This means that multiplayer is entirely optional, offering an alternative method of completion to those that don’t want to explore all the sidequests.

Disconnected

Multiplayer co-op is separate from the main game: http://masseffect.bioware.com/me3/game/multiplayer

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?
Commander Shepard's part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara...these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions.
In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more... each with their own unique set of abilities.

What if I don't like multiplayer - will my experience be negatively impacted?
Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?

BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, BioWare has a dedicated studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.
All of this^
Those of you who don't want it won't miss out(on too much;) ), or *gasp* may actually enjoy it.
Those of you intrigued will happily enjoy it.

As for 'keep separate from dev cycle' arguments. you are welcome to it but I... *sigh*.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Collector's Edition has an exclusive character.

FUCK YOU!

Jay

Jay

Ok............ fuck off EA.

I'm definitely not going to buy this if they are going to pull me around to buy this and that and that to have the complete game.

Skyrim... $60 for a complete and full game. DLC will come later on in a month or so. This is how it NEEDS to be.

Learn to fucken compete

80$ jesus christ

Frank

Frankie Williamson

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536/1

It's official. I am not buying Mass Effect 3.

Jay

Jay

To better discuss.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store)
Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

- Will officially not buy this game.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Redundant question to #1

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

- Bullshit.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

- Still Spyware.

What a terrible decision to require Origin to play this game.

That and paying 80$ for a complete game is out of the question.

It's as if they encourage people to balance the playing field otherwise.
Added at: 17:46

ORIGIN IS SPYWARE

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content.
This is true only in the most basic way. Valve requires all DLC to be posted on the Steam marketplace and to be able to be downloaded via Steam, so they can get a cut of the money off of DLC and so it's simply more convenient for the customer. EA already didn't like paying Valve money to sell their games and didn't want to share revenue from DLC, so they introduced menus in-game to buy DLC directly from EA. This is against Steam policy (Valve needs control over anything in the games it sells for liability reasons), so they removed the EA games that had this option from Steam. EA launches Origin suspiciously soon after this happens, showing they both knew and wanted this to happen.

tl;dr - EA wants to keep more of it's money, so now it's all on Origin.

Jay

Jay

Pretty much.

And many many people dislike Origin.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

My preorder was cancelled today. So, there's one more PC copy up for grabs (but apparently the PC preorder numbers are abysmal and dropping fast as is).

I won't put Origin on my machine.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This is the saddest news I've ever heard.

Preorder canceled :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd be getting it for PS3 anyway, except I can't play the first damn thing to get the trilogy started. Thanks EA!

@Li3n

@Li3n

I wonder, if their pre-orders drop after this announcement and their sales stay down on PC, while pirating is the same as ever, will they reconsider DRM, or will they still say it's because of the pirating...

General Specific

General Specific

I have the first 2 on xbox and was planning to go that route anyway, this just cements it for me is all.

bhamv3

bhamv3

First SecuRom and now Origin? What the fuck, guys?

LordRendar

LordRendar

Can one buy the real game and then use other means to circumvent Orgin?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I wouldn't be surprised if a cracked version comes out almost immediately after release. I know it's possibly to crack Steam, it's just that Steam is so unobtrusive that there really isn't any reason to do it. Origin is different though.

Honestly, as soon as a GotY version of Mass Effect 2 comes out, I'll be getting it for 360. I refuse to buy all that fucking DLC at the same price it cost 2 years ago. DLC prices need to go down with time, just like the actual game costs do.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Sure, but in order to install the real game you'll have to install Origin with it... so if you want to skip it altogether you\ll need to torrent the entire game... so you\ll just be buying the dvd and not using it...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wouldn't be surprised if a cracked version comes out almost immediately after release. I know it's possibly to crack Steam, it's just that Steam is so unobtrusive that there really isn't any reason to do it. Origin is different though.

Honestly, as soon as a GotY version of Mass Effect 2 comes out, I'll be getting it for 360. I refuse to buy all that fucking DLC at the same price it cost 2 years ago. DLC prices need to go down with time, just like the actual game costs do.
That's why I feel kind of dumb for jumping after Fallout: New Vegas when it hit $20. Lots of awesome DLC, but to buy it all will cost me as much, if not more, than the GOTY edition. So much for saving money in buying it for $20.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

See, I had no problem with buying the DLC for New Vegas: I knew it would all be top notch quality and would be stand alone. My problem with the Mass Effect 2 DLC is that I need it if I want to have all the flag triggers that will affect Mass Effect 3. That's bullshit and I shouldn't have to pay 40+ dollars just to get a complete experience when I eventually play Mass Effect 3. At least the DLC triggers for Mass Effect 1 where in the free DLC.

Seriously, why haven't they announced a Trilogy Edition where I get all three games + all the DLC for the first two yet? I'd pre-order that the day they announced it.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That's why I feel kind of dumb for jumping after Fallout: New Vegas when it hit $20. Lots of awesome DLC, but to buy it all will cost me as much, if not more, than the GOTY edition. So much for saving money in buying it for $20.
Steam sales man. I got all the New Vegas DLC for 20 bucks.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It's too bad the Mass Effect 2 DLC isn't on Steam, and thus can't go on sale. I was considering getting the game next time I see it on sale, but now I'm kinda reconsidering. I estimate that getting all the additional missions in the DLC packs would cost $40. Though I guess I could just pass all those up since it doesn't look like I'll ever need to import a save to Mass Effect 3.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Except I have it on PS3.

Although strangely, New Vegas can apparently run on my non-gaming computer. If I'd had the money after Skyrim, maybe I would've picked up those plus the game for $30 from Steam.

Damn, now I'm wondering when we'll start seeing Skyrim DLC.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Sooner than later I'd imagine.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Was only going to have it for 360, but I wonder if I might not hold off on the pre-order that I WAS going to put in, just to make a statement.

You know, because my piddly-little investment means so much to EA.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Each little bit counts if added together, but this is a point too. How many Mass Effect players aren't even aware of the truth about Origin?

I won't even install Spore on my computer now. Not just because it's a shitty game, but mainly because of that old spyware.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Was only going to have it for 360, but I wonder if I might not hold off on the pre-order that I WAS going to put in, just to make a statement.

I held of on purchasing any Ubisoft titles until their DRM relented. I'm sure my lack of purchases didn't make or break them, but I also bet I'm not the only one seeing as they changed their DRM.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I held of on purchasing any Ubisoft titles until their DRM relented. I'm sure my lack of purchases didn't make or break them, but I also bet I'm not the only one seeing as they changed their DRM.
Ditto. I didn't buy from Ubisoft until I found out Assassin's Creed 2 no longer needed an always-on Internet connection.

As for Mass Effect 3, it's a pity I won't be following Commander Shepard until the conclusion of his adventure, but I won't be buying or pirating the game. I simply won't play it. I see Origin as a system requirement I won't fulfill, so I simply won't get the game. It'll be like back in the days when I had a crappy graphics card.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ubi hasn't had a top selling game not called Just Dance in years.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Seriously? Fuck you EA... fuck Origin and fuck your greedy assed spyware.

Jay

Jay

In the last few months I’ve bought 3 full priced games (Skyrim, SWTOR and Batman) so you cannot ignore my upcoming comments based on my previous decisions on games that simply did not aspire to the potential full value of what they should be (Dragon Age 2) and playing the game otherwise in distain. I was willing and able to pay $60 for this game but they simply got too greedy. This announcement basically sealed the deal for me.

Firstly, they wanted $80 for "extras" or else they threatened that I may not have the complete game (remember that thread I created about DLCs where they took out slices of the pie from the game and charged you extra? Douchebag practices).

Now they also want to force me to install spyware on my gaming rig while this game runs… an application that they “claim” isn’t spyware but evidence clearly points to otherwise. They also have refused to deal with outside vendors like Steam because they won’t get “all the money” and once again force the hand of gamers in their favor. Which may be sound business practises for big companies wanting to maximize revenues but clearly leaves a smell of shit in the air if you’re looking for quality over quantity…. AKA : Pay an extra 7$ for a DLC character that was clearly part of development in the main game? Bullshit.

Lastly, there will be once again first day DLC content, meaning that even priced at $80 it is STILL not enough to get everything from Day 1. This is ridiculous and unacceptable.

To this and to all further games EA/Bioware will sell I'll say no to buying their games as long as they use this business practice

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I wonder if there will be a way to cripple Origin's ability to spy on your computer. Basically tame it to run the game and NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE!

Stupid EA.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've been out of the loop. What is this $80 for everything that people have been talking about?

Jay

Jay

Pre-order edition is $80?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've been out of the loop. What is this $80 for everything that people have been talking about?
Collectors edition. It's the only thing that's been brought up that I don't think is at all a legitimate beef. It's 1 bonus character and one bonus mission. This is not new or uncommon in a special edition.

Everything else, yeah, bullshit.

Jay

Jay

I'm sorry but a Collector's Edition is not being rewarded with 100% of the game.

A collector's edition is getting extra bells and whistles such as artwork, something physical in your hands such as a plastic-related in-game model, a map, bonus DVDs such as "how we created the game" or game soundtrack, special box case, t-shirt... etc.

It should NOT be... hey, you know that cool new character we designed during the dev period? Ya, that's collector's edition material. Or you buy him/her for $7... aka Sebastian v2.0 or that Golem in Origins.

Only Bioware does this.

This isn't a skin, or special weapon, or some neat little addition.... these are core additions to the game where this character is involved with other characters with voice-over and interactions, clearly made during the dev cycle.

Still bullshit.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Avoiding Origin, looks like I won't be playing ME3. That makes me a bit sad.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm sorry but a Collector's Edition is not being rewarded with 100% of the game.

A collector's edition is getting extra bells and whistles such as artwork, something physical in your hands such as a plastic-related in-game model, a map, bonus DVDs such as "how we created the game" or game soundtrack, special box case, t-shirt... etc.

It should NOT be... hey, you know that cool new character we designed during the dev period? Ya, that's collector's edition material. Or you buy him/her for $7... aka Sebastian v2.0 or that Golem in Origins.

Only Bioware does this.

This isn't a skin, or special weapon, or some neat little addition.... these are core additions to the game where this character is involved with other characters with voice-over and interactions, clearly made during the dev cycle.

Still bullshit.
Well, where this differs is that sensation and golem were both free, so long as you bought the game new.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Collectors edition. It's the only thing that's been brought up that I don't think is at all a legitimate beef. It's 1 bonus character and one bonus mission. This is not new or uncommon in a special edition.

Everything else, yeah, bullshit.
Not new. Not uncommon. Still garbage.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Well, where this differs is that sensation and golem were both free, so long as you bought the game new.
Not exactly. Sebastian only came free with the "Signature Edition" of the game, not the base game itself. If you didn't get the Signature Edition you had to purchase Sebastian separately. Shale was the only one in Dragon Age that was released with the base game, and that was because she was originally set to be a release character, but due to design changes they almost left her out. Problem was, this only worked for Day One buyers. People that bought the game later had to pay $15 for Shale from what I hear.

Not to sound like I am totally discrediting though, they did release Zaeed for Mass Effect 2 as a free character that is still free if you buy the game new, the only problem was you had to sign up for the Cerebrus Network to gain him. If you attempted to get the game second hand, you would have to pay $15

Bowielee

Bowielee

And Zaheed was so central to the story and gameplay that he was no way extraneous. Thank god I bought it new otherwise the game would have been sorely lacking.

Really, just because a company takes advantage of your completist nature, don't get your panties in a wad over it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Zaeed provided a big boost to the "hold the line" section of the final mission. Without him, your options for squad member choices are much reduced. Unless you don't mind not keeping everyone alive.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I'd put money that the ME3 character won't be as obviously extra as Zaeed (who is still free by the way to new buyers, unlike the ME3 character) and be more like Sebastian (who cost extra from day one) from DA2 who actually was as important to the DA2 story as any of the other characters except maybe the pirate chick.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

My problem with Zaeed was he did feel so extraneous. His quest was really the only interaction you had with him, otherwise you go to talk to him and he says one of a few standard lines and nothing else. The thief had the same problem.

So while you are getting to know other character on the ship through dialogue and interactions constantly happening, Zaeed is just sort of there.

Considering I would have to pay 1/4th of the game price to play him if I got it second hand, he really was not worth the money over all the other companions you already got in the base game. At the very least I would have wanted some more real value out of him.

Jay

Jay

I didn't mind the way they approached Kasumi at all, great mission, great character, unique abilities, she was clearly DLC.

Dei

Dei

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

At first I was fine with this, thinking "Oh this is just like the WoW Gryphon Cub where you buy the figure and get like a neat skin or something."

Then I actually read it.

These products contain codes that can be redeemed for a downloadable content pack for Mass Effect 3 multi-player. They are slightly randomized during the registration and could include powerful new weapons and new characters. The pack could also include character boosters, weapon modifications, and weapon upgrades to make your multi-player squad stronger. (Only supported on XBox360 and PC.)
Fuck you, Bioware.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I used to like Bioware. Then NWN-2 multiplayer sucked compared to 1, and THEN they ruined Warhammer Online. Granted, EA just fired everybody at Mythic and threw it in Bioware's lap and said "here, you run this MMO as practice for SWTOR." Next thing you know they nerf healing (really? In an MMO, who nerfs HEALING? When is that ever a good idea?) and remove guild claiming/upgrading of PVP objectives so now it 100% comes down to numbers and large forces always beat small forces, tactics be damned.

Oh, and yeah, not putting origin on my system. Nope.

Jay

Jay

I always wanted to play with a Miranda doll but I wasn't hoping for an action figurine....

Dei

Dei

I used to like Bioware. Then NWN-2 multiplayer sucked compared to 1, and THEN they ruined Warhammer Online. Granted, EA just fired everybody at Mythic and threw it in Bioware's lap and said "here, you run this MMO as practice for SWTOR." Next thing you know they nerf healing (really? In an MMO, who nerfs HEALING? When is that ever a good idea?) and remove guild claiming/upgrading of PVP objectives so now it 100% comes down to numbers and large forces always beat small forces, tactics be damned.

Oh, and yeah, not putting origin on my system. Nope.
Blizzard spent all of Cataclysm nerfing the fuck out of healers. And they are doing it more in that Panda Expansion. Oh yeah, I quit playing WoW...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'll say it: Warhammer Online BADLY needed a healer nerf... especially considering they could spam an ability to remove all the dots off of someone. One class had NOTHING but dots for abilities. You do the math.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Blizzard spent all of Cataclysm nerfing the fuck out of healers. And they are doing it more in that Panda Expansion. Oh yeah, I quit playing WoW...
True about Cataclysm, though not sure where you are getting them nerfing healers in MoP. If you mean some spells being missing on the talent calculator, they already said that was a web error, spells like Circle of Healing are not going anywhere. If anything, I think healers are going to have an easier time since they are going back to the WOTLK heroic system.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wow indeed. I quit before cataclysm.. in fact, I quit mid-BC really. Wouldn't even go back if it went F2P.
Added at: 14:30
I'll say it: Warhammer Online BADLY needed a healer nerf... especially considering they could spam an ability to remove all the dots off of someone. One class had NOTHING but dots for abilities. You do the math.
Ok, I could see making cleanse single target only. But that's not healing. Healing did not need a nerf. Especially not in the way they did it. They made it so that people with super-endgame-RR80+ armor suits pretty much were barely inconvenienced, but everybody still working their way up suddenly became nothing but free renown for the Catass Brigade.

Dei

Dei

True about Cataclysm, though not sure where you are getting them nerfing healers in MoP. If you mean some spells being missing on the talent calculator, they already said that was a web error, spells like Circle of Healing are not going anywhere. If anything, I think healers are going to have an easier time since they are going back to the WOTLK heroic system.
Making mana numbers a flat % is something that to me seems nerfish as well, unless they reneged on that idea.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Making mana numbers a flat % is something that to me seems nerfish as well, unless they reneged on that idea.
A bit confused. Are you talking about the fact that abilities cost a flat % of base mana? That system has been in the game for a long time now, ever since downranking was snuffed out. Is there another bit of information I am aware? Doing a quick search of my sources, the only "mana talk" is about how the Monk is going to use a mana far in the healer spec, and no one mentions about any changes to the base mana system. The reason they are even doing that is so that the monk healing still meshes with the existing healing classes, allowing the monk to increase his mana pool over time, something that wouldn't have been possible with the Chi resource system.

Dei

Dei

I thought I remembered hearing that max mana would be a fixed number based on level and no longer based on int?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I thought I remembered hearing that max mana would be a fixed number based on level and no longer based on int?
Had to look into it, as it has been awhile, but I did find a line saying that they might remove the ability for intellect to directly increase the mana pool. Be aware, considering the monk is gaining a mana pool for his healer stance, it is likely healers will still be given a method to which they can increase the mana pool (otherwise the monk would just use Chi). One example I saw thrown around in my research is them turning spirit into the full mana stat, while intellect become more a potency stat.

We will have to wait and see how they go with it, but I will only call it a nerf if they remove the ability for mana pools to increase through a stat while also not adjusting the costs of spells, which could just outright break a lot of abilities we have right now.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

If I could double cancel my preorder, I would.

Jay

Jay

If I could double cancel my preorder, I would.
Still gonna play it though, right?

:csi:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Still gonna play it though, right?

:csi:
For me, it depends on if Guild Wars 2 comes out before I finally exhaust Skyrim. Yes, I realize that's a long way off. Yes, I'm still that into Skyrim. I have Arkham City and haven't even installed it yet.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've been staring at the pre-order button... I've canceled it once, but I want to uncancel. I'm so torn...

Disconnected

I want to say so much so bad but I'll just say I recommend uncancel.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I want to say so much so bad but I'll just say I recommend uncancel.
Then say it.

Jay

Jay

65848.jpg

HowDroll

HowDroll

Note to EA:

Forcing legitimate players to install crapware, requiring purchase of Collector's Edition for all companions/quest, bundling DRM with stupid action figures -- BAD!!!!!

This: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/play-mass-effect-3-and-reckoning-demos-unlock-in-game-items-for/ -- innovative and cool. Playing the (free) demo for another game that wasn't even on my radar to unlock items in Mass Effect? Sure, I'll bite.

Sigh.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Note to EA:

Forcing legitimate players to install crapware, requiring purchase of Collector's Edition for all companions/quest, bundling DRM with stupid action figures -- BAD!!!!!
Seriously, it's like they're trumpeting "just get the pirate release."

HowDroll

HowDroll

Seriously, it's like they're trumpeting "just get the pirate release."
I know, and it makes me sad, because it's been a few years since I've pirated games (I always justified it by saying I was a broke ass college student and would start paying for games as soon as I was a working professional -- and so far, I've stuck to it) and Bioware has always been one of my favorite developers. I loved ME1 and ME2, and I even took a long weekend from work before the 6th so I could "make sure I was all caught up on my grad school homework *wink wink*", but I'm seriously reconsidering buying this game. I'll play it regardless -- but giving them my money will only encourage them to pull this crap in the future.

Of course, if this game is pirated in record numbers, they'll just go "See?? SEE??? There's no money to be made in PC gaming, so let's put out more buggy console ports and nickle-and-dime customers to recoup our losses."

Fucking EA.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Mass Effect 3 and that terribly mediocre Kingdoms of Amallauuzuur might be the two most expensive games ever made right out of the gate (or within a month of release) if you want all the game that each company made.

Mass Effect 3 Special edition is what, 80 bucks, then you add in the 8 toys for about 150. Awesome.

That Kingdoms of Amaaalalalamadingdong special edition is like 1/3rd of a billion dollars, but I'm not sure if that version only gets you some Todd McFarlane sketch or anything ingame.

edito - I just checked it, the Kingdoms of AmaluUUUUURRRRR Signature Edition (275 dollars) only comes with a signature on the regular SUPER DUPER special edition of either Todd McFarlane, A baseball player or R.A. Salvatore...one of them, not all three. 75 EXTRA FUCKING DOLLARS FOR SOME DOUCHEBAGS AUTOGRAPH? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Jay

Jay

54361.jpg

Jay

Jay

55471.jpg

@Li3n

@Li3n

that terribly mediocre Kingdoms of Amallauuzuur

Having played the demo without even knowing you get some extra shit for ME3 (i didn't even sign in to an EA account), i found the game to be enjoyable... i liked te combat better then Skyrims...

But yeah, EA's marketing bullshit is getting way out of hand... and there's no ME2 Complete Edition even...

Baerdog

Baerdog

I finally finished a renegade playthrough of ME1 the other day and have been replaying ME2 with the same character since then. I've got the collector's edition preordered and I can't wait until March 6.

Dei

Dei

As much as I hate the corporate machine, I want to play ME3 too much to cancel my preorder. But if it ends up like DA2, heads will roll.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

God damn it EA... DAMN YOU TO HELL!

I mean, I love the Mass Effect series and the lore and everything about the first two games. I have mass effect props that I'm building in my spare time as well as mass effect armour I'm building to display in my home theater room.

And EA seriously looks set to totally ruin the last installment for me with bullshit decisions, micromanaged DLC, idiotic extras (figurines with random DLC LOLZ!), kinect support (WTF?), an atrocious novel and let's not forget the intrusive spyware you need to install to run the game.

I just don't know what to do... I still want to play this game but I'm really considering canceling my pre-order and just pirating it as it's about the only way I can give the finger to EA.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I personally am simply not going to play it. Not going to encourage such corporate behavior by buying the game, not going to let them point to me as part of the problem by pirating it.

It'll suck not being able to finish Commander Shepard's story, but I'd rather have happy memories of the first two games, than the sour taste of what the third turned out to be.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I'll just watch "Let's Play"s and live voraciously through another person.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In honor of Shepard, I decided to replay ME 1&2...

Pre-order uncancelled... Damn you EA... I NEED IT.

There's bound to be a way to neuter Origin.

Jay

Jay

One month to pi- release date.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You're disagreeing with anyone who's keeping their pre-order?

Incidentally, I don't have a pre-order... because I never played an ME. Put the first one on PS3, EA.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They can't, it's owned by Microsoft.

Baerdog

Baerdog

In honor of Shepard, I decided to replay ME 1&2...

Pre-order uncancelled... Damn you EA... I NEED IT.

There's bound to be a way to neuter Origin.
I'm right there with you, buddy. Sheperds 4 Life.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm right there with you, buddy. Sheperds 4 Life.
Sheperds 4 Life.

Wrex.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They can't, it's owned by Microsoft.
Sellouts.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Before or after they sold themselves wholesale to EA?

Baerdog

Baerdog

Calleja

Calleja

Oh I am so getting the Collector's Edition, my Xbox gets no Origin crap.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Calleja

Calleja

Okay, guys, so I've a question.

I just realized I never got to doing my evil play through Mass Effect 2.... but now a question arises. In Mass Effect 1 I did 2 playthroughs, one as Paragon one as Renegade... BUT... I also changed pretty much every other decision. If I saved Ashely as paragon I killed her as Renegade and fucked Liara instead, stuff like that.

Sooo... if I want to import my evil Shepard into ME2, on which I already finished the game as Paragon with my ME1 Paragon import, I can't use the New Game+ that I get for finishing the game already? How does that work? I know I can't be the only one that wants to see every possible outcome.... but I also am a bit weary of not taking advantage of the bonuses you get on a New Game+ on ME2...

I guess what I'm not very successfully trying to ask is if there's anyway yo play the New Game+ on ME2 using the OTHER imported save from ME1... does that make sense?

Oh, and I play on Xbox 360, so I can't just download a save u_u

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, and I play on Xbox 360, so I
deserve every inconvenience you might run into. You monster.

Calleja

Calleja

I can't afford a decent gaming rig down here :(

Besides, the original Mass Effect was supposed to be an XBOX exclusive, so I started playing it on that platform. LEMME ALONE!

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

FemShep trailer - I think I saw Miranda (1:03) and Samara (1:10) in this one.

Jay

Jay

Looks great.

...origin...... gaaaahhh

Jay

Jay

Do we need origin top play the demo?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Do we need origin top play the demo?
Yes......

WWWRRRAAAAARRRRUUUGGGGGGG!

Jay

Jay

Guess checking out threads of disappointed demo testers will have to appease me for now.

PS: Mordin's VA has been changed.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The game allows for the turning off of helmets in conversations.

BOUT FUCKING TIME.

Jay

Jay

You installed Origin Frankie?

You slut.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

No, watched a demo playthrough on Youtube.

Also, the writing might be some of the worst Bioware's ever put out, like current gen JRPG bad. The conversation between Anderson and Shepard about war? The kid? Reapers apparently wiping out all human colonies and everything humans have in general during the time it takes Shepard to walk from his bedroom to the council room? Jesus. Just.....good fucking Lord.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

PS: Mordin's VA has been changed.
But... he was one of the best ones. This game is just kicking my enjoyment of the other games to the ground.

Jay

Jay

Really? That bad Frankie? I'll still play the game. I'm just not installing Origin on my rig. I won't play console. Bioware is making it VERY HARD to be their client... almost like they are holding my interest hostage.

Yeah, apparently, Mordin's VA didn't even get a call back. Why? "Scheduling problems". There were none. They just didn't want to pay the VA the amount they should since Mordin's storyline is greatly reduced in the 3rd. So they got a cheaper VA to do him.

A few days ago, I got word that a multiplayer demo will be available soon. So since I do want to try out the multiplayer I slowly been building a secondary rig with spare parts I got at home and last night I put up a clean install of Windows 7 on it. I'll update it, defrag and play with some overclock settings and I hope to be ready by the weekend when it comes out. I won't care at that point if I'll install Origin on it... but I'm not installing that on my main rig.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

If the multiplayer actually turns out to be not entirely sucky we should definitely play some games together Jay.

I'm worried by the accusations of bad dialog now... and it SUCKS that Mordin has a different voice actor... :(

Dei

Dei

Well if you make an ME2 play through where Moridin dies you don't even have to worry about it. I am somewhat tempted to make a play through where everyone dies because it supposedly has a psychological impact on Shepard.

Jay

Jay

Yeah... amazing choices await us.

"This sucks"
"Oh well, more guns for me"
"Meh"

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Don't forget about all the bullshit DLC that will inevitably be available to make multiplayer that much more cool Jay.

"Yeah, check out this cool scope for my assault rifle! It makes it so I can see through walls and shoot around corners! It only cost me ten bucks!"

Contrary to what Bioware says we probably will need to do the multiplayer component well to get the proper ending anyways.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

"Yeah, check out this cool scope for my assault rifle! It makes it so I can see through walls and shoot around corners! It only cost me ten bucks!"
Ten bucks? You mean 17.99, because you have to buy a Shepard Figurine, and you have to hope you get the super scope instead of the Hawaiian shirt pack.

Jay

Jay

I still do not understand WHY multiplayer plays a part in the singleplayer portion of the game... or how it'll even work.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Ten bucks? You mean 17.99, because you have to buy a Shepard Figurine, and you have to hope you get the super scope instead of the Hawaiian shirt pack.
You're right, I forgot about the mega cool action figures with "semi-random" loot associated with them :rolleyes:... what a crock of bullshit.

I still do not understand WHY multiplayer plays a part in the singleplayer portion of the game... or how it'll even work.
My guess is you will play characters who are fighting on the front lines against the reapers on earth... and doing well there will earn you some sort of horseflop in the main campaign. It still seems stupid to me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wait wait wait... they're having multiplayer effect the single player campaign?

Dei

Dei

What really gets me is how the Reapers basically take over Earth in the 10 minutes you are watching the intro dialogue, yet you have a metric fuckton of time to go round people up to take it back? Do they take a really long teatime break or something?

Jay

Jay

Wait wait wait... they're having multiplayer effect the single player campaign?
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-affect-single-player-campaign-first-details/

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

What really gets me is how the Reapers basically take over Earth in the 10 minutes you are watching the intro dialogue, yet you have a metric fuckton of time to go round people up to take it back? Do they take a really long teatime break or something?
I always wondered about this too. Obviously we are going to be open to fly around, but in the old game this made sense because the universe was, for the most part, at peace. Yes in the first game Saren was off being a douche, but his fight was mostly a shadow until the end when he finally attacked the Citadel. ME2 felt even more "peaceful" with us dealing mostly with mercs and such, going to places like Omega where people are just, again, living lives. The Collectors were the main bad guys, but they only appears now and then and it made sense to have gaps between when they took a colony and when they went home through the Omega Relay.

Will we not have this in ME3? I mean the Reapers are now in the galaxy and basically going nuts all over everyone. I just can't imagine people living normal lives on their planets while giant planet destroy robo-squids are about to cause a mass extinction. Will I not have wacky adventures abusing my name for local shopkeepers to give me discounts?

Jay

Jay

This just in....

If you pre-ordered Mass Effect 3... you get Battlefield 3.... for free.... if you buy it from Origin.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/pre-order-mass-effect-3-from-origin-and-receive-battlefield-3-for-free

The offer expires on March 5, 2012.

Looks like the "pre-ordered cancelled" meme has hit them right in the teeth.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

They likely saw how successful Blizzard was with the WoW Annual Pass and decided to try something similar, in the hopes of dragging in those pre-orders and getting more people signed up for Origin. The suits are going to be happy.

Jay

Jay

Multiplayer demo is out to select few... made by another studio... Bioware Montreal (one of my friends works there).... and reviews thus far are GOOD... very very good. This is why I preparered a secondary rig.

Added at: 14:08
Now I really want this game....

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I wish I hadn't given my backup computer away to a friend now... as I really don't want Origin snooping around and shitting in my registry on my main computer.

I'll have to check out the video at home as it's blocked at work.

Jay

Jay

Prolly will try the demo in a few days... if it runs well on my secondary rig..... maybe... maaaybe
Added at: 14:29

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

What class do you gravitate towards Jay?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There has to be a way to neuter origin... right?

Jay

Jay

What class do you gravitate towards Jay?
Sentinel mostly.... Adept second... Infiltrator third.
Added at: 16:05
There has to be a way to neuter origin... right?
No.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

In Mass Effect, I can't help but play the Soldier. I attempted the other classes but they just never meshed with me. Not sure why, as I usually play something akin to the Infiltrator in other games.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

In Mass Effect, I can't help but play the Soldier. I attempted the other classes but they just never meshed with me. Not sure why, as I usually play something akin to the Infiltrator in other games.
I played a soldier in ME1, and then an adept in ME2. I figured while they were tinkering around inside shep, they would probably implant some eezo nodes to give him biotic powers.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I played a soldier in ME1, and then an adept in ME2. I figured while they were tinkering around inside shep, they would probably implant some eezo nodes to give him biotic powers.
Actually, based on what the Illusive Man said, they went to great lengths not to alter him outside of just bringing him back to life. Something about making sure not to mess up the combination of things that made him a hero and great commander. This is why they didn't put all that money into making him a genetically engineered super soldier or even brainwashing him to be completely loyal to Cerebrus.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm almost always the soldier... have been on most of my playthroughs. I can't help it... I love overwhelming firepower and lots of guns.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I played soldier in ME2, but not sure I'll even bother with ME3.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Vanguard rules face.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

This just in....

If you pre-ordered Mass Effect 3... you get Battlefield 3.... for free.... if you buy it from Origin.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/pre-order-mass-effect-3-from-origin-and-receive-battlefield-3-for-free

The offer expires on March 5, 2012.

FUCK.

FUCK.

I`m probably going to buy it. I don`t have Battlefield 3 yet.

Jay

Jay

My secondary rig has Origin installed and I'm downloading the demo.

Also, I got word on how to get "early" MP Beta access before Friday night. Basically, I send you a Facebook invite to their Official ME group which will ask you to link to Origin.

This allows you to play MP... right away. Anyone interested? If so, send me your FB details.

Jay

Jay

MP is goooood.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

MP is goooood.
You've sold out, Jay. You've sold out.

I mean, I have too, but people expect that of me.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm going to wait till the actual release but count me in for some multiplayer when it comes out Jay. I shall dish out assault rifle death to whomever stands in our way!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

God, we're all such fucking marks.
Added at: 22:59
Is there anyway to get the MP demo without Facebook?
Added at: 23:00
Also, what's your origin details so we's all cans be friends's

@Li3n

@Li3n

So, i didn't get a chance to check ME2 last night, but to me it seemed like ME3 actually looks worse then it on PC...

I really hope that was just the demo not having (or me not seeing) the outside the game settings in it...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

ME3 looks fine. It could use some higher res textures, but that's been the case in all the games. Some of the animations though....jeeeeesh.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I don't know, Anderson was never a looker, but now he looks like someone hit him with a cheese grater over and over...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I've been reading a lot of complaining about the framerate. Ran silky for me.

linglingface

linglingface

/edit
Haha oops, not a GoW thread. :p

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The hell?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Any-HWAYS.

My Origin name is frankiehorrigan if anyone wants to add me. Email is frank.horrigan@gmail.com

linglingface

linglingface

Gah I should stop posting on forums when I'm tired. Somehow I saw this as a GoW thread. /fail

@Li3n

@Li3n

I've been reading a lot of complaining about the framerate. Ran silky for me.
I had some annoying problems with ME2's menus, they used to load very slow, while the game ran fine... the demo didn't have that problem from what i could see (although i didn't play very long)... it just bugged out when i had to kill the husks and wouldn't continue...

No framerate issues either.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That ME2 menu problem is something new. I think it has to do with the connecting to EA's servers. It never used to take that long for me, but last time I logged in it sat there doing nothing for like 10 seconds.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Gah I should stop posting on forums when I'm tired.
That's what i do... bonus points if i annoy Gas with it...
Added at: 08:36
That ME2 menu problem is something new. I think it has to do with the connecting to EA's servers. It never used to take that long for me, but last time I logged in it sat there doing nothing for like 10 seconds.
Nope... there was no connecting to anything in my case...

You know, i haven't actually tested it with an actual disk in the drive....

Jay

Jay

Origin : Blachloch

Sent you as friend invite Frankie on Origin and FB friend invite. Once you accept I'll invite you to their FB group thing and you can play MP tonight.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I wish I had the time to play this week... you guys suck! :D

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think the graphics in general look better in ME3, but I agree with the animations. Something about the way Shepard "Storms" now looks like he is flailing all over the place rather then powering forward like a soldier.

Also got to give them credit on Ashley, she actually looks a lot better then she did in ME1 and ME2. Maybe it's just the hair.

Oh man, I should take her and Tali everywhere I go, see what happens when they realize I have slept with both of them. :cool:

Who am I kidding, Garrus and Wrex are probably going to be the two with me all the time.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

It should be amusing to see the fireworks between Ashley and Miranda on my savegame...

Hey Jay, when I get my Origin account updated can I get an invite as well?

@Li3n

@Li3n

I think the graphics in general look better in ME3, but I agree with the animations. Something about the way Shepard "Storms" now looks like he is flailing all over the place rather then powering forward like a soldier.
Yeah, it's like he's partly crouching...

And i found the settings bar and did some thing to it, and now it doesn't seem to look as bad as the first time, i think some stuff wasn't on...

Also got to give them credit on Ashley, she actually looks a lot better then she did in ME1 and ME2. Maybe it's just the hair.
Really? Because she looks nothing like her and the hair kinda takes away from her soldier thing. Alenko is 10 times better.

Jay

Jay

It should be amusing to see the fireworks between Ashley and Miranda on my savegame...

Hey Jay, when I get my Origin account updated can I get an invite as well?
Sure

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Really? Because she looks nothing like her and the hair kinda takes away from her soldier thing. Alenko is 10 times better.
I agree about Alenko, based on the images I have seen, does look a lot better in general. I think I just never found Ashley that attractive in ME1/ME2, while her new look feels a bit more attractive to me. Her hair not looking like a soldier does not bother me, just like it didn't really bother me for Miranda with her full mane.

I am really curious what is going to happen when I finally get to that point in the game where she calls me out on my relationship with Tali, and if you can get back together with her or not. (Not like I would, Tali is a lot cooler anyways, unless they ruin her in ME3)

@Li3n

@Li3n

I agree about Alenko, based on the images I have seen, does look a lot better in general. I think I just never found Ashley that attractive in ME1/ME2, while her new look feels a bit more attractive to me. Her hair not looking like a soldier does not bother me, just like it didn't really bother me for Miranda with her full mane.
Miranda didn't have family heritage soldier as part of her character...

And ME3 Ashley doesn't strike me as more attractive, just different... didn't even recognize her back when they 1st released the screen for her and Kaidan.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I like the new Ashley... I think she looks good.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This makes me wonder, who are going to be the followers? We obviously have new people, like Vega, and we have people returning from the first game, like Liara and Ashley. What about Miranda? Jack? Thane? Jacob? I know they will likely not have all of them open for working in a squad fulltime, but I at least hope to see them on the Normandy or something as crew. It seems odd that so close to release we only have a few people listed as fulltime squad members on the web, and two of them you can only have one or the other (Ashley or Kaiden)

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I'm happy that at least in the demo that Garrus finally has some new armor after taking the hit on Omega - I wanted to just say to him, "Dude, get some new armor - I don't care what your attachment is to it." - or maybe threaten him "I won't take you out on missions until you get some new armor!"

Disconnected

Don't forget about all the bullshit DLC that will inevitably be available to make multiplayer that much more cool Jay.

Contrary to what Bioware says we probably will need to do the multiplayer component well to get the proper ending anyways.
There is a weapon that can track targets that walk behind walls, smoke etc. It is free. but yes many games have DLC BS, game companies have found a way to milk you for more. I would say stop buying it and perhaps it will go back but it may be to late for that now.
You do not need the MP to get the 'proper' ending. It's an or/and situation when it comes to MP ios and such, they are not needed, just another way to get... stuff.

It is something BioWare has been attempting for quite some time(since ME2). Not EA. It is a system to gain assets in your fight, which are found in SP or you can play mp and gain them. Just slower.

So how does that Origin taste? Mass Effect 3 does a fucking good job of washing out that feeling though.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'm happy that at least in the demo that Garrus finally has some new armor after taking the hit on Omega - I wanted to just say to him, "Dude, get some new armor - I don't care what your attachment is to it." - or maybe threaten him "I won't take you out on missions until you get some new armor!"
I actually was a doofus and bought the ME2 Armor Pack DLC for the pure fact that it gave me a set of armor for Garrus that didn't come half destroyed. I am weird like that.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I actually was a doofus and bought the ME2 Armor Pack DLC for the pure fact that it gave me a set of armor for Garrus that didn't come half destroyed. I am weird like that.
I never got that one so I never saw that.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Jay

Jay

It is something BioWare has been attempting for quite some time(since ME2). Not EA. It is a system to gain assets in your fight, which are found in SP or you can play mp and gain them. Just slower.

So how does that Origin taste? Mass Effect 3 does a fucking good job of washing out that feeling though.
Couldn't care less. Not my main rig. This PC has Windows 7, generic names and Origin.

Jay

Jay

Anyone else playing the MP demo?

If so, post your Origin name.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's pretty rad.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hey Jay, I just sent you a friend invite on Origin. I'm Avatarus777.

I sent you an invite too Frankie.

Jay

Jay

GG last night Frankie and Azure.

Maybe tonight we can all play together... perhaps get a 4th. Would be fun.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Sigh, I downloaded Origin, I am going to try and get the demo. I want to try it out and see if the game is worth putting up with the bullshit.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm pleasantly surprised how much fun the multiplayer was.

Jay, I always thought it was hilarious when you would throw a dude over the edge of the map just a split second before I took his head off with the sniper rifle. Nothing like a floating headless corpse. Good times :). Those guys we played with at the end sure liked to go lone wolf on us... and die horribly.

I'll try to find my headset for next time so I'm not just a silent teammate (the freaking in game text chat command didn't even work).

Jay

Jay

Yeah, that's Beta MP for ya.... people trying the demo.... many of them sucking (playing silver at LVL 1 so they can get more XP but the games won't even go past a few waves since their characters suck). I have no high expectations finding great people to play with but I expect much better gaming once people buy the game and play the MP a few weeks in. (after single player of course)

Yesterday I played with 3 games who were really good, we completed Silver 3 times, good games. Good people.

And yeah, headsets are great.

Frankie sounds like an angry cop.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'll try to be on later tonight... no promises though as we are having company over and I'm not sure how late they're staying

It will be fun playing together with you and Frankie.

I think now that I understand the mini-missions that come up in the waves I will do much better.

Dei

Dei

I was playing some with my husband last night instead of sleeping. Infiltrator was kind of hard in a two player game since bitches liked to rush me, need to get a bigger group for sure.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I just did more in a group of 4 as a level 1 Vanguard than the 2 level 15 infiltrators and the level 5 soldier did.

Needless to say we didn't finish.

I don't think I'm gonna play anymore until the game is released. I don't want to start all over again. Same reason why stuff like WoW betas and the like don't interest me.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Oh Jay, I'll play a bit more tonight if I'm around. I'm just not gonna mainline it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I just got the demo and got on Origin, ScytheRexx is the name like always.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just downloaded origin, and am now downloading the demo.

This is all your fault.

Fuck you guys.

I'll see you in game soon.

Jay

Jay

name?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Should be ravenpoe121, same as my steam and psn names.

Jay

Jay

Sent both of you invites.

Disconnected

I just downloaded origin, and am now downloading the demo.

This is all your fault.

Fuck you guys.

I'll see you in game soon.
delicious ;)
Seriously though, I'm glad you guys are having fun with the MP after seeing so much hatred and whiney bitching over it before even trying it(and I don't mean just on this forum) :)

Jay

Jay

Good times Scythe and Frankie.

God damn Origin hates you Frankie.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

delicious ;)
Seriously though, I'm glad you guys are having fun with the MP after seeing so much hatred and whiney bitching over it before even trying it(and I don't mean just on this forum) :)
Eat shit. Seriously.

Origin is still fucking viperous garbage.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Finished the single-player portion of the demo. Got to try one game of the multiplayer.

It's fuuuun.

I look forward to seeing if I can get a game with some halforumers tomorrow night.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

A little bummed that I can't change my skills after I set them, but I guess it's not all that hard to level up new guys, more so when you unlock the "class bonuses"

Engineer is fun, but man do I feel squishy. I get hit by one or two blasts and I can be dead if I don't run around like crazy. My drone and the fact I can spam Incinerate are the only reason I am alive half the time.

Thinking of trying a Sentinel.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

That's any class, the squishiness.

Soldiers are pretty rad, you know, when you have powers.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Well, reading Bioware forums, the class/race unlock thing isn't going anywhere. On the positive side, the demo only has about half the items you can get from the packs you buy, so even more useless shit hoping for the FUCKING DRELL VANGUARD TO MAGICALLY BE IN ONE OF THEM.

Dei

Dei

So we had problems last night inviting a 4th person to multiplayer, which was solved by vote kicking the person who made the lobby then inviting the 4th person, then inviting the former lobby owner.

Disconnected

Eat shit. Seriously.

Origin is still fucking viperous garbage.
First, no, and second agreed. I'm winking and giggling at how much hate it gets but people still succumb. I don't agree with it and I don't use it.

For the love of christ I'm teasing people over it.

Again, I'm glad people are having FUN with it regardless, because you know games are fun and should be.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I got my first taste of multiplayer with people who won't constantly drop out of the game, namely Jay, ScytheRex, and Frankie.

The verdict? Holy shitballs this is fun.

Also, damn I suck. But I got better!

I hope you guys appreciate how valiantly I threw myself on all of those grenades for you.

Jay

Jay

Good times Poe.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I'm looking forward to more maps.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You know, I killed three Atlas mechs with one rocket, and no one was in that hallway to bask in my glory. You were all fulfilling mission objectives :(

Jay

Jay

And new enemies and more gear.

Needless to state, after we play the single player game... we need to play some quality MP.

Maybe even start playing all at the same time!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

At I least I finally, FINALLY, unlocked that God damn rifle. Man, that bugger is absolute tits awesome.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Okay, all I've been buying are veteran packs and I haven't gotten any useful weapons (sniper rifles or assault rifles for my soldier). Is there something I'm missing? Should I be buying the lower pack in higher numbers instead or what?

Also, I'm really going to try to be on tonight at a decent time because I really want to play with you guys.

Hey Jay... I did find my headset so I should actually be able to talk now.

fade

fade

Geez, congratulations on the saddest opening ever.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Okay, all I've been buying are veteran packs and I haven't gotten any useful weapons (sniper rifles or assault rifles for my soldier). Is there something I'm missing? Should I be buying the lower pack in higher numbers instead or what?

Also, I'm really going to try to be on tonight at a decent time because I really want to play with you guys.

Hey Jay... I did find my headset so I should actually be able to talk now.
No, you're just like me. I get nothing but garbage too while I hear everyone else unlocking stuff I've been wanting.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Geez, congratulations on the saddest opening ever.
I think Mass Effect 2 was still the more jarring opening.

All ME3 has to put it above that is that one scene towards the end.

And the fact that they actually killed a kid, something rarely seen in video games.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, I chalked that up to manipulative silliness. Instead of attacking an obviously high priority threat in an exceptionally powerful, experimental frigate that the reapers have had contact with
(the collector general was being controlled by a reaper)
it instead shoots at a couple of shuttles.

Jay

Jay

I don't even think that kid is real....Shepard is fucked up, yo.

Yeah, I'll be able to play later on tonight around 9PM Eastern for a few hours. Get a couple more Silvers going... maybe even gold.

We do need a shield breaker though. Especially for the turrets... once the shield pops though, I burn through their armor pretty well.

fade

fade

I think Mass Effect 2 was still the more jarring opening.

All ME3 has to put it above that is that one scene towards the end.

And the fact that they actually killed a kid, something rarely seen in video games.
Really? Shepard dying was interesting but I didn't think it was out of the realm of what could've happened in that scene. It certainly didn't evoke an emotional reaction in me. I thought the
kid was going to be some jedi thing, so it was a shock to me. Maybe because I have a kid that age.
I don't hold that it was deliberately emotionally manipulative against it. Isn't that part of storytelling?
Added at: 18:09
I don't even think that kid is real....Shepard is fucked up, yo.
That is a good theory.

Dei

Dei

[/quote]

When did that happen? I saw the kid alive and well when I left the planet...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Meh, that kid thing was a lame cliche... it was obvious he was gonna die since Shep talked to him and he was all emo... would have been better if he lived and then you found his body when you came back.

When did that happen? I saw the kid alive and well when I left the planet...
You must have missed the last part with the nice reaper lazzors...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You know while playing Multiplayer I came to realize something, I think I know why Cerberus is now an enemy. Might be a spoiler depending on how correct I end up being, so here goes.

So I noticed that the Nemesis and Phantom enemies have a really electronic sound to their voices. They are obviously new enemies Cerberus has developed using a mix of humans and cybernetics. We know that Cerberus' main goal is the ascension and dominance of humanity. Who else has the best mix of cybernetics and flesh? The Reapers, as seen by Saren in the first game and the Husks.

What if the events of ME2 was not to find a way to defeat the Reapers, but was a way to remove the Collectors and prove to the Reapers that humanity was a superior race to keep going into the next cycle. This is why the Illusive Man wanted to keep the Collectors base, as he needed to study it so that humanity could take over the role of creating the Reapers. The only problem was that the Collectors were around and the Reapers were making them take humanity to instead form a new Reaper, and thus they needed to be stopped for Cerberus to properly attempt a deal.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well the voices fit in just fine with the fact that they're now indoctrinated...

And if you read the TIM comics you know why his eyes are like that... so it's more likely the Reapers just asserted control. Although your theory would be pretty nice, i doubt Bioware won't just go with the more obvious approach...

Jay

Jay

Fuck yeah, Drell Vanguard.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Awwww yeah... got a Drell Vanguard for me too!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's like they were handing out Drell Vanguards tonight!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

You guys can fucking eat my asshole.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

While playing my Infiltrator, I also discovered that my Mantis X sniper rifle can pierce the shields of guardians. I tested this by hitting them directly in the center of the shield, and it still punctured and killed them. I don't know if this is because it was a bronze game, because I have a barrel extender mod that increases the force of my shots (my guess), or because I was using warp ammo.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Isn't Warp ammo explicitly about piercing shields? Isn't that how is worked in Mass Effect 2?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Isn't Warp ammo explicitly about piercing shields? Isn't that how is worked in Mass Effect 2?
Yes, but those are usually energy Shields, where guardians carry a huge chunk of metal in front of them.

Jay

Jay

Would be interesting to test this out in another mode without the special equipement.

(which hopefully will be more freely available in the full version)

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I swear guys, the M-6 Carnifex heavy pistol with a damage boost and scope, is one of the best guns in the game for someone that likes power usage with high accuracy. In bronze and silver I can pop soldiers heads left and right without having to go through the long reload process of the sniper rifle.

I hope I unlock it quickly once the actual game is released, same with the Turien Sentinel, as he has become my favorite class.

Tech Armor? 40% damage reduction, yes please. The downside is slower power recharge, but that's why I just take the Carnifex, it makes up for any recharge rate I lost from the armor and then some. It makes it much easier to stand in the line of fire to line up my shots.

Warp? Great for weakening up soldiers or stunning them the second I need to pop them in the head. Works around corners too.

Overload? Bye bye enemy shields and barriers. So much for the one thing that was actually defending those guys heads from my pistol. Can stun lesser troops too.

If I had to choose another class, I really like the Engineer and Adept. I am strangely not all the impressed with the Soldier, which is odd considering that is the class I played for pretty much all of the ME series single player. Krogan Soldier is pretty insane though if you like melee.

Jay

Jay

Still haven't unlocked that gun.... and I think I got most of them. :(

Personallym love the Asari Adept, she's a CC queen. I liked my human sentinel as well. Many more classes to test out.

I wonder how we can work out MP gaming once the game comes out.

fade

fade

Adept all the way, baby. In the demo, it seems like power recharge is way slower, though. Maybe it was just the wayI leveled Shepard.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I like the soldier. Throwing 3 grenades in a panic will clear almost anything short of an atlas (and with the shield overload bonus it now does good damage to shields). Concussive shot is awesome now that I've maxed it out.

My problem is that I like using the Mattock assault rifle and the Mantis sniper rifle and that even though I have level 5-6 pistols, shotguns and SMGS the best assault rifle I have is level 2. Stupid random loot.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

To be honest, I am avoiding the single player since the Shepard in it is not my Shepard, and so I want to wait till the game comes out before I take part in the story. As such I don't know how power usage works in the single player or if it follows the same rules as multiplayer.

In Multiplayer, power recharge is based on "Weight" You can technically enter a match with every heavy weapon hanging on you, but the weight would increase the time it takes for skills to recharge up to an extra 200%. Some classes like Soldier have a higher max weight, meaning they can hold heavier weapons with less of a penalty, but even an Adept can go in with heavy weapons if he really wanted. On the flip side, if you go into a match without taking a gun at all, you can increase recharge speed by 200%, which with proper talents means you can pretty much spam powers every second. I did that on a Drell Vanguard once on accident and found myself just spamming Lift so my partners in the match could do all the actual killing.

This is why I love using the Carnifex. It is the heaviest of the heavy pistols, but still so much lighter then the others that I get a 150% recharge bonus on my Warp and Overload, meaning I can launch those abilities every 3 seconds or so even with my Tech Armor.

edit: fixed a quick wording error.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It looks like the weight system is in single player too, since some talents in the demo mention increasing weight bonus.

My guess is the reason recharge takes so long in the sp demo is because shep is equipped with every gun, to show them off. And you can't access the inventory in the demo

Jay

Jay

Weight is def in the game.

Dei

Dei

I like my Quarian Engineer, and while I like Infiltrator in single player, it just doesn't feel as powerful in multiplayer. Slowly one shotting shit is great, until you have waves of things charging at you.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I like my Quarian Engineer, and while I like Infiltrator in single player, it just doesn't feel as powerful in multiplayer. Slowly one shotting shit is great, until you have waves of things charging at you.
I found the Human Infiltrator is actually extremely powerful as long as you utilize her right. Here is a few things I learned.

Never use stealth as the main form of attacking unless you focus on the melee and close range fighting. The fact is that once the enemy "loses" you they start looking for other enemies, which often means they move around more, thus making them harder to hit (much easier to hit an enemy storming towards then going off in a random direction.) However, if you want to be a close range fighter you are deadly, focusing on the ability to use powers while cloaks and get the melee bonus, taking a shotgun with you for those times you can't smack someone in the head.

If you do decide to stay range then forget going far into cloaking and instead max out Cryo Blast, focusing on the freeze duration, weakening, and recharge speed. It's amazing when a trooper runs at you or even tries to hide, so you blast them, forcing them to stand, fire a blast to kill them, fire another one to get the new troops coming around the corner, reload, fire again killing him, and repeat.

Also, you are basically the groups survival line. I can't tell you how many games I salvaged on my Infiltrator by simply saving my cloak for those times we get in a really bad spot. We get surrounded, my team is pretty much all dead, so I cloak and make a run for the other side of the map. Once over there, the enemies have to slowly figure out where I am and start coming towards me, at which point I am now recharged, refreshed on ammo, and waiting for clear headshots. If they converge on me I cloak again and run to another good sniper spot until they are all dead. You can't easily do this on other classes because trying to run out of the trap means you get pelted by everything in shooting distance and are often either weak or dead from it.

Have yet to unlock Quarian Engineer, but it seems pretty fun.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

My infiltrator is able to destroy fully shielded and armored turrets in one shot from the sniper.

That alone is worth having one along.

Dei

Dei

Well, I play with 2 pretty experienced FPSers who basically explode everything around me while I manage to kill one thing. It makes me feel inadequate, especially when I can spawn camp on an Engineer and kill everything.

Jay

Jay

That's cause you're a noob as an Infiltrator. :)

I have a LVL 10 Solarian Infiltrator, I had 30+ headshots and most XP while I played with these guys last night.

Not every class fits everyone's play style.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I managed 50+ headshots as an infiltrator last night! But it was while duoing with Scythe on a bronze, so prolly doesn't count.

Though, cryoblast makes it fuckin' easy to get headshots.

I still like playing support with my engineer though. I might not get most kills, but I know I'll get a fuckload of assists takin' down EVERY shield.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Yes it does, I love Cryo Blast.

Though my Overload was probably not helping you, me knocking them down all over the place.

Just hit 20 on my Sentinel, I actually attempted a Gold game earlier. It's pretty insane. The first round has Troopers, Centurions, and Nemesis. On the fifth round we got hit by 5 Atlas'. We finally died on the sixth round when we got jumped by FIVE Phantoms all at the same time. Jeesus.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

So, I played enough in the middle of the night last night to get 3 more veteran crates.

My pistol I never use even when I use a pistol has gained 2 levels and, OH BOY, the SMG I can't stand has gained another level.

FUCK THIS. I'm done until the full game comes out. It's not worth the irritation.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yes it does, I love Cryo Blast.

Though my Overload was probably not helping you, me knocking them down all over the place.

Just hit 20 on my Sentinel, I actually attempted a Gold game earlier. It's pretty insane. The first round has Troopers, Centurions, and Nemesis. On the fifth round we got hit by 5 Atlas'. We finally died on the sixth round when we got jumped by FIVE Phantoms all at the same time. Jeesus.
Man, fuck your overload. I'd line up a headshot and they'd crumple to the ground just as I pulled the trigger.

In those two games, though, I managed to do some testing. Base sniper rifle will not punch through a guardian's shield (unless of course you hit through the visor). It was actually ARMOR PIERCING AMMO mod that I had equipped that was punching through it, which makes so much sense I didn't even think about it, certain that armor piercing only meant the yellow healthbars. A sniper rifle equipped with an elongated barrel for extra force -will- stagger them when hitting the shield though, and in my purely unscientific testing of two games, added force seems to make it easier to hit through the visor, too. But that's hardly concrete.

@Li3n

@Li3n

So my video card hates ME3... but i got to ask, how is the Adept against shielded/armored enemies, do you still have to rely on weapons?
Added at: 09:04
To be honest, I am avoiding the single player since the Shepard in it is not my Shepard, and so I want to wait till the game comes out before I take part in the story. As such I don't know how power usage works in the single player or if it follows the same rules as multiplayer.
It sure seems to, as in the prologue (pistol) your powers recharge very fast, while in the mission, where you have 3-4 guns on you the recharge time is huge in comparison (something like from 3 to 15 sec)... and i saw no increase in recharge time from upgrading skills.

Jay

Jay

I'm prolly going to stop playing the demo as well until the release date in about 2 weeks time.

I'm unsure how we'll plan to play MP... but maybe we could schedule some gaming nights.... as the single player will prolly take 30-40 hours.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I'm also going to be laying off the demo. No point in building my character up only to have to start over. It gave me a good taste of the multiplayer option though and I'm excited to see the full product.

I'd possibly be up for some scheduled MP times... but unfortunately my kids trump everything at the moment so I might not be the most reliable. Hopefully I'll still be able to gte some pickup games with you guys like I have been with the demo.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I really do like the ability to just jump into a friend's game if there's space. Even if it leads to scythe stalking me while I'm pubbing.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I really do like the ability to just jump into a friend's game if there's space. Even if it leads to scythe stalking me while I'm pubbing.
Pft. You just mad because I stole half your kills. :awesome:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Pft. You just mad because I stole half your kills. :awesome:
No, I gave you half of mine, since you weren't getting any of your own. :p

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

No, I gave you half of mine, since you weren't getting any of your own. :p
My gold kill medal says differently. Go back to hiding in your little cloak while I stand front and center in my Tech Armor like a real macho man. ;)

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

My origin id is nctsdodgeman in case anyone wants to add me - I'll play very infrequently as I have a 3.5 year old.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Thanks for sharing that Frankie... that had me laughing my ass off at the end :D

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Am I the only one that didn't find Miranda all that attractive? Maybe it's just the lazy eye it seems she gets sometimes (very noticable in the video), but she just never got me interested in her.

Jay

Jay

You were looking at her eyes?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

. . . women have EYES?! :eek:

:p :hide:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

You were looking at her eyes?
I like faces, sue me! ;)

After faces though, it's usually personality, which is why I ended up going with Tali (and she does not even have a face, as far as I see.)

Dei

Dei

At least male Shepard had good romance options. My Renegade stayed loyal to Kaiden... my Paragon did the Garrus romance and I swear to god I covered my eyes because it felt so awkward. It was like romancing your bro.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Golfclap.

Mass Effect live action trailer side by side with Skyrim's live action trailer

Mass Effect's advertising is kind of bumming me out. One man, one machine gun, will save us aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall.

Overflight

Posting this both on the Video Game news thread and here since this is especially relevant to ME3:

If you planned on playing ME3 on the PC you're probably angry that it's an Origin exclusive, right? If you're like me then said anger comes from two sources: 1) The fact that Origin is basically spyware and 2) This means you can't carry over ME1 and 2 saves. Well, EA has solved the latter problem:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/27/origin-auto-adds-ea-games-bought-through-steam-no-its-not-c/

Even though the spyware bit still bothers me and thus I won't install it, I feel like this is a step in the right direction.

...on the other hand, it's a sad day indeed when we commend a company for not making us buy the same game TWICE.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Golfclap.

Mass Effect live action trailer side by side with Skyrim's live action trailer

Mass Effect's advertising is kind of bumming me out. One man, one machine gun, will save us aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall.

The live action Skryim trailer had a great set, costumes that were spot on and generally kicked all kinds of ass.

This Mass Effect one? Doesn't even look like a future earth... and like Frankie said... "One man and one gun will save us all."

Lame

Jay

Jay

Maybe that gun is a Califex....

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Maybe that gun is a Califex....
I didn't see any heads exploding, so I have to say no.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, everyones all cool with origin now?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Nope, but I live with it now as a necessarily evil. I don't keep it on though and cut all processes when I am not playing a game.

Jay

Jay

bHHMZ.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Jay

Jay

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hell no, and if it were any other EA title I wouldn't install that piece of bloated crap on my system... but I've been feverishly looking forward to this ever since I finished the second Mass Effect.

Jay

Jay

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

...... Dammit guys... don't make me sacrifice my principles on this... and I don't even have a platform that's at risk for Origin...

Jay

Jay

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

God damn it Jay... that music haunts me along with with that kid getting shot down in the transport.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Guy gets too much flak over his MaleShep. He does the voice as he is directed to do, he obviously has some real range.

Jay

Jay

FIRST THEY'LL HIT VANCOUVER THEN... ALBERTA!

Watch out bitches!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

As long as we have a dude with an assault rifle... we'll be alright Jay... :D

Frank

Frankie Williamson

So, planet scanning is back, and that fucking sucks but as an added bonus, you can die scanning planets.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So, planet scanning is back, and that fucking sucks but as an added bonus, you can die scanning planets.
From the looks of it though, it's not old fashioned scanning. There are no minerals you gain by wandering around a planet for five minutes with the scanner. Instead you use the scan button in the solar system, and once you find something important you do a planet scan or a wreckage scan, and boom, you have the asset.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It still looks shitty.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It still looks shitty.
I... I actually liked scanning. :(

Jay

Jay

6 more dodos.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Once this game gets to my house I will not be in any of these threads until I'm done the single player campaign :D

Jay

Jay

Same here. I'll be available however for MP games off Origin.

I'd love if we can schedule some game nights.

Dei

Dei

I wish I could just take a week long nap.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I took two days off work for this game... I would have taken more, if only I had the time to spare.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The game comes out just as I begin a week of down time. Of course, I have nothing but 10 pm til 10 am shifts until then.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Man, for some reason origin will only launch on like the fourth or fifth reboot now. Mass Effect 2 also won't load, and neither will SW:TOR. Every other game works perfectly.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I made the mistake of commenting on that video I posted above. Now, my email inbox has let me know, via youtube commenters, that I am, are and is a faggot about 1200 times.
Added at: 01:57
Oh, and in this one I was called a faggot and he let me know I am both a kid and that I should go back to playing faggot baby games like cod. I just want to tell them, "Son, have you ever played the game Star Control 2? It's the progenitor to Mass Effect. Without it, there would be no Mass Effect. Hell, let's go further back in time to the Berserker series of novels written by Fred Saberhagen from the late 60's which are (no matter how fucking much Bioware denies it) the DIRECT inspiration for the Reapers. Now, call me a kid again. DO IT. DO IT!" Unfortunately, a youtube commenter's brain would only read that as: NO, I IZ NOT FAGGIT! U IZ FAGGIT!

Youtube commenters are fucking awesome.

I just can't quite get across just how many private messages have called me a faggot so far. I made the joke that it was 1200 above, but a for reals amount is about two dozen times.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Holy crap dude... what did you say about the game?

Typical Youtube commenters are a human subspecies of basement dwelling troglodytes best left to devolve into something incapable of typing a written language (they are getting close).

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I said that planet scanning sucked.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dammit, I was ready to avoid this game, and then I watched the galaxy exploration video and the galaxy music started up, and I was all like, "Oohhhhhhh........" And before I knew it I was loading a quartet of fold-up weapons onto my back.

Maybe I'll get lucky and my computer will be too crappy to run this game. That'll solve the problem for me.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It will cost you around $870 to get Mass Effect 3 DLC

To be fair, most of it seems to be a Collector Assault Rifle unlock/powerup by purchasing another product they are co-promoting, and it will remain to be seen if someone can get such powerups through the in-game unlocks. If the Collectors Assault Rifle powerups can only be gotten through the DLC codes, then that is one expensive multiplayer gun if you want to get it upgraded.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Son, have you ever played the game Star Control 2? It's the progenitor to Mass Effect. Without it, there would be no Mass Effect.
Wtwg.... brbw... awatta... I never made that connection! Jumpin' jeezus on a pogo stick, you're right... Mass Effect is like a direct male-line descendant of Star Control. Whoa.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Same here. I'll be available however for MP games off Origin.

I'd love if we can schedule some game nights.

I'd be up for this too... though since I'm from the west I'll have to be up fairly late to play with you eastern folk. Are you thinking like a regular once a week scheduled night?

@Li3n

@Li3n

I... I actually liked scanning. :(
Yeah dude, you play WoW, we get it, stop bringing it up already. :p

Seriously, that thing was so slow... and you had to do it a million times to get any acceptable ending...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Wtwg.... brbw... awatta... I never made that connection! Jumpin' jeezus on a pogo stick, you're right... Mass Effect is like a direct male-line descendant of Star Control. Whoa.
I clued in the first game. I was like, "Hey, this cool. Kinda Gearsy with the combat. I'm digging this interaction with aliens and such. This is a cool game in the vein of KOTOR, I'm picking up what you're putting down Bioware. Ok, we're on a starmap now. Well, I guess I need to go down onto this planet on my....planet lander-y kind of thing and look for mineralssssssOH MY GOD!"

GasBandit

GasBandit

I clued in the first game. I was like, "Hey, this cool. Kinda Gearsy with the combat. I'm digging this interaction with aliens and such. This is a cool game in the vein of KOTOR, I'm picking up what you're putting down Bioware. Ok, we're on a starmap now. Well, I guess I need to go down onto this planet on my....planet lander-y kind of thing and look for mineralssssssOH MY GOD!"
It's too bad it takes itself a LOT more seriously than Star Control did.

"I'm sorry I asked about your... glowy bits."
"... and then they attack like slavering zebrankies."
"Our Backwards-Utilized Tracking Torpedo missiles, or B.U.T.T. missiles, for short..."
"Yes! From now on, we shall be known as the Fat, Obstreperous Jerks!"
"NNNnnyyyyaaagh! I'm *SQUEEZING* the *JUICE!* Now is the time for *DANCING!*"
"You were most fortunate last time, you hideous, pouchless freak, but this time I shall surely destroy your vessel... you slithering eater of putrid hairballs!"

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I shall hang your withered reproductive organs from my posterior monitors!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I shall hang your withered reproductive organs from my posterior monitors!
You toothless, piebald, impotent roof-rabbit!

HowDroll

HowDroll

I took Monday and Tuesday off of work -- Monday, so I can have an insane homework marathon this weekend and get an entire week's (two, if my teacher is on top of posting it) worth of grad school shit done, and Tuesday for the game itself. So excited.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I was going to take time off but I just started a new job and they might get cranky if I use two days worth of sick time on my first week :)

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I "might" call in sick that day, but I am not entirely sure yet. I like the game, but I don't know if I like it enough to give up a vacation day I can use later in the year.

Jay

Jay

No sick days for me next week. Busy season. Can't afford the offtime.

Will play as much as I can though. :)

Jay

Jay

Origin pre-load is available.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, I still cringe when I see Youtube in my gmail account.

Pre-Loaded, locked and ready.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think I'll forego the spyware and get the PS3 version.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

.... Dammit. Principles = tossed. Will attempt to snag some pre-order bonuses for the XBox version.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Pirate version is out for all three platforms now, PC version still waiting for crack however. Article doesn't say PS3, but it's on rlslog.