Marvel Comics-Time for another hero to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Human torch. Mr fantastic is too important and will invent a way to resurrect him in 2 years. Ben already died once, I think, and Sue is his brother so she'll be where all the drama is at.

The Marvel Universe's ultimate spoiler:

They all die!
The ultimate-ultimate spoiler!

They come back to life eventually anyway, leaving you to wonder why they bothered with the storyline in the first place!

It'd be ballsy if they offed Reed Richards, if only because no one would expect it. But yeah... it's going to be Johnny.

My friend, Anthony, said that he doesn't like comics a lot, and only knows three things about them.

1) You don't bring back Bucky
2) You don't bring back Robin
3) They brought both back

J

Jiarn

They can't kill Reed... they already said it's going to be a hero....

-rimshot-

My friend, Anthony, said that he doesn't like comics a lot, and only knows three things about them.

1) You don't bring back Bucky
2) You don't bring back Robin
3) They brought both back
To be fair, Jason Todd came back as a villain, did so in a way that wasn't utterly bullshit, and has not repented in the least for the things he's done before or since. He didn't "come back"... he became something else. I always found this an acceptable alternative.

I give the death six months, tops.
Cap lasted two years dead. That was pretty good, as far as deaths go. Let's hope Reed does it longer... or that he just doesn't come back.

I give the death six months, tops.
So has Hickman. Reed/Sue/Johnny/Ben will be back before he leaves the book. He's stated this when the storyline was announced several months ago.

I for one am loving the misdirection he and Marvel are putting out. Every single poster and cover they've shown for post death has had a different member missing, or multiple versions with a different combination, and during interviews Hickman has been more than willing to state who is dieing, changing the answer each time. I haven't read this weeks FF yet, but each member is being placed in a situation where they might get offed (as of last months issue), and it's been great so far.

To be fair, Jason Todd came back as a villain, did so in a way that wasn't utterly bullshit, and has not repented in the least for the things he's done before or since. He didn't "come back"... he became something else. I always found this an acceptable alternative.
Nope, sorry, the fans voted him dead, he should have stayed dead. The impact of Death in the Family is reduced by his return in any form.

J

Jiarn

I have to agree. As much as I loved Red Hood, it cheapened one of those most powerful stories in all of Batman history.

K

kaykordeath

While I can't comment on the Bucky thing (as I didn't read it) and found the Jason Todd thing hokey at the time (while at the very least being please with what they've done with him SINCE), I don't put much into the whole revolving door argument.

As was pointed out, this is not being billed as a permanent death. It's a story being told and the writer is admitting to much. This is no different than when Superman died and recently when Batman "died." In both cases, publicity for the stories admitted that this was a journey the characters were taking and that they would return. The when and how being the deeper mystery. Granted, when Superman died, there was no (or very little) internet, and so any coverage on the event itself was minor compared to today. So I'd wager a vast number of comic readers never saw those interviews. But to argue that no one stays dead in comics isn't really fair.

If you start seeing Ralph and Sue Dibney or Ted Kord come back, then maybe the argument will stand....

Uncle Ben will always stay dead.

kay, you should read Brubaker's Captain America, everything he has done on that book have been horrible ideas executed wonderfully. Solid book.

Also if you want to read the Batman storylines done right just read Captain America. It's getting annoying how much DC is copying (badly I might add).

Nope, sorry, the fans voted him dead, he should have stayed dead. The impact of Death in the Family is reduced by his return in any form.[/QUOTE]

It was only just barely, though, if I recall.

Nope, sorry, the fans voted him dead, he should have stayed dead. The impact of Death in the Family is reduced by his return in any form.[/QUOTE]

It was only just barely, though, if I recall.[/QUOTE]

72 votes. And I thought I remember them saying that they found out that a good portion of them were all coming from one person. (maybe the joker?)

To be fair, Jason Todd came back as a villain, did so in a way that wasn't utterly bullshit...
Having Superboy-Prime punching the walls of reality so that a Jason Todd from an alternate Earth switched places with the dead Jason Todd isn't utterly bullshit?[/QUOTE]

Wait, that's how it happened in the comics? Ok, that's bullshit. I prefer the explanation given in Batman: Under the Red Hood (most recent Batman animated movie). In that, Ra's al Ghul stole the body and had it replaced before it was buried, then dumped it in a Lazarus pit to resurrect it. However, Jason Todd came back a bit deranged and the movie is basically about him getting back at Batman for failing him.

*bump*

So Marvel has allowed retailers to sell the FF today. It comes in a nice black bag that has the "three" logo on it, inside a member of the FF dies. Quality of the book continues to be on par with the rest of Hickman's run. I've read it, I won't say who, people can read it for themselves.

Having Superboy-Prime punching the walls of reality so that a Jason Todd from an alternate Earth switched places with the dead Jason Todd isn't utterly bullshit?
Wait, that's how it happened in the comics? Ok, that's bullshit. I prefer the explanation given in Batman: Under the Red Hood (most recent Batman animated movie). In that, Ra's al Ghul stole the body and had it replaced before it was buried, then dumped it in a Lazarus pit to resurrect it. However, Jason Todd came back a bit deranged and the movie is basically about him getting back at Batman for failing him.[/quote]

The "punched reality in the nuts" explanation was actually a pseudo-retcon. In the original Hush storyline that kicked everything off, while they weren't completely explicity, they pretty much implied the events that were explicitly stated in the movie.

The reality-nut-punch was more of a DC saying "let's work it into our crossover" kind of moment.

EDIT: One of the few times I hold Jeph Loeb blameless for stupid crap while he's writing.

Wait, that's how it happened in the comics? Ok, that's bullshit. I prefer the explanation given in Batman: Under the Red Hood (most recent Batman animated movie). In that, Ra's al Ghul stole the body and had it replaced before it was buried, then dumped it in a Lazarus pit to resurrect it. However, Jason Todd came back a bit deranged and the movie is basically about him getting back at Batman for failing him.
The "punched reality in the nuts" explanation was actually a pseudo-retcon. In the original Hush storyline that kicked everything off, while they weren't completely explicity, they pretty much implied the events that were explicitly stated in the movie.

The reality-nut-punch was more of a DC saying "let's work it into our crossover" kind of moment.

EDIT: One of the few times I hold Jeph Loeb blameless for stupid crap while he's writing.[/quote]

As I recall it that Jason Todd turned out to actually be Clayface?

Yet another reason why I wish creative teams would just be given nearly free reign to do as they please without editorial meddling. I say nearly, so we don't see out of character moments like, oh, I don't know, making a deal with the devil to remove the character's marriage from reality.

Wait...that was editorial, too. Probably the biggest editorial meddling, come to think of it.

As far as dead character is concerned? As far as I know, they're the only one of the team not to have died at one point or another, so I guess it's their turn.

Spoiler explanation of above statement:
Reed & Doom were killed at the same time during the 90s.
Sue was teased dead around Civil War time...and I believe actually died in the 80s.
The Thing was killed off during Mark Waid's run. Which, if you like Fantastic Four at all, I highly recommend.

I still give it six months, tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.