Magicka

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've only played the demo for Torchlight (and didn't finish that), but I thought that Torchlight was single player only.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah but the Magicka style reminds me alot of Torchlight so I was curious.
The visual style has some similarities, but the gameplay is very different. Magicka has no mana pool or cooldown on abilities. You can cast heal on yourself as much as you want. Powerful spells can be spammed almost as fast as you can type them in. For all that your Wizard is a bit of a glass cannon. Allen is right, you go from full health to dead pretty darn quickly. There are a lot of enemies with attacks that can one-shot you, including a few who can do it even when you're shielded, and more still who can bounce you around and throw you off of cliffs or into lava. In multi-player it works because other players can rez you quickly and easily. In single player it can feel pretty demanding. I almost gave up on single player after trying and failing the third chapter (out of 12, I think) a few dozen times. It gets tougher from there.

I enjoyed it as a single player experience. It was hard, and obviously not balanced for single player, but it was still fun.

I enjoyed it as a single player game, but it gets a lot more fun once you add more people. Playing single player will make you a better player though, as well as learn important things about the game. Like the fact that shielding yourself causes you to be knocked down every time you take damage (so it's usually better to remain unshielded)

Status
Not open for further replies.