Luminosity: What if Bella Swan was Rational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
A.k.a. Twilight if written by someone with common sense.

Going in the same vein taken by Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

can be found here http://luminous.elcenia.com/story.shtml if you have problem with that site, you can find here too http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6137139/1/Luminosity

I can't say enough how different this story is from the original and how much better it is

The author does a pretty good job with the new characterization for Bella (specially for anyone that hated her stupid suicidal Edward-centered behavior) and fixing many problems from the original stories.

Luminosity is a Facfic set in a Alternate Universe where the main divergence is that Bella Swan is rational and logic, the first purpose of the story was to teach the concept of luminocity (Self-awareness, who/what you truly are and why), but eventually the story evolves greatly from that going much further away from the source books plots.

The book 1 is completed, book 2 proceds with a radically different story, if she changed the names you barely would notice is the same characters from Twilight

I read the first twenty chapters or so. It was decent, but not nearly as good as HP:MoR. Partly it just wasn't as funny. I think it might also have been that I haven't actually read Twilight, so maybe I was missing a lot of cleverness. It seemed a bit ludicrous to me that the vampires just showed her all their powers within a day of knowing her, dunno how that played out in the original book.

I kinda liked how at first, Bella seemed like a relatively normal person who just happened to be rational, whereas Harry in HP:MoR, he's got this grand vision to fix reality within the first five chapters. I've spent my whole life waiting for a character like Harry so it was really cool to read that, but having read MoR, I didn't need to read about another identical character. And it pretty quickly turned into a similar work with similar themes.

I did like that it focused on a different element of rationality than MoR does (more about introspection than decision making). A sort of weird result, though, was that in this case I DID find the protagonist's inner monologues to be very alien. That's a problem other people had with MoR, but I never did.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
I read the first twenty chapters or so. It was decent, but not nearly as good as HP:MoR. Partly it just wasn't as funny. I think it might also have been that I haven't actually read Twilight, so maybe I was missing a lot of cleverness. It seemed a bit ludicrous to me that the vampires just showed her all their powers within a day of knowing her, dunno how that played out in the original book.
Are you going to read the rest? I actually had the misfortune to read Twiligh (a friend gave to me for my birthday and I decided to read it to at least be able to complain about it properly), I don't really think is suppose to be funny, thought there I found amusing to compare Canon-Bella with Rational-Bella, specially regarding reactions towards Edward. The author actually made they relationship to be something grounded and well... actual relationship, rather than staring at each other.

About the vampires showing her powers, well, having Alice predicting Bella as a vampire is a pretty strong point to me, even without the bondmates thing (Alicorn invented that), and in the book they din't quite got together to display the powers (Edward did alone though). Plus, I really can buy the idea that they would like to show off they powers to someone that would actually be impressed.

I kinda liked how at first, Bella seemed like a relatively normal person who just happened to be rational, whereas Harry in HP:MoR, he's got this grand vision to fix reality within the first five chapters. I've spent my whole life waiting for a character like Harry so it was really cool to read that, but having read MoR, I didn't need to read about another identical character. And it pretty quickly turned into a similar work with similar themes.
I understand your point, though I feel that Bella was to quick to jump in the "I want to conquer the world" wagon, but I generally feel they have completely different aproachs to the issue. Mainly, Bella seems to be more pratical (well she can't cast magical spells after all). I also felt that Harry revolved too much around the whole issue, while Bella is believable distracted by other stuff.

I did like that it focused on a different element of rationality than MoR does (more about introspection than decision making). A sort of weird result, though, was that in this case I DID find the protagonist's inner monologues to be very alien. That's a problem other people had with MoR, but I never did.
One tiny bit of issue that I felt between MoR and Luminosity, was that in MoR they explained why Harry was rational/smart, and that is never truly adressed in Luminosity (but again, canon-Bella has so little character that you couldn't tell what to change), still, Rational-Bella looked more... realistic than Harry.

EDIT:

If you decide that you don't want to read it further and doesn't mind to be spoiled about the end of book 1

The only way to kill vampires is burning them, Bella finds out that she could alter her shield to protect herself from the fire (it makes much more sense in the context)

The problem? She din't learned how to shield others, such as Edward.

Add two plus two

EDIT2:
If Bella Swan was rational, she'd be a man.
It is fiction after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.