LucasArts Teasing X-Wing, Tie Fighter Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alucard

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69799 ... ement.html
LucasArts' two-pronged attempt to revitalize their classics with The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Tales of Monkey Island appears to be a success. As part of a follow-up interview with LucasArts president Darrell Rodriguez about plans for the months ahead, I asked Rodriguez for thoughts on a return of the company's lauded X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim series.

His answer?

"We don’t have any announcements now, but stay tuned," said Rodriguez. "We will soon….."

By the way, that's his number of dots, not mine. We conducted the interview over e-mail. Five dots is far more mysterious than three dots, so I'm willing to bet I'm onto something here.

Whether it's a full-on remake ala The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition or an addition to the company's growing Steam lineup…well, who cares? Either one would be the first acknowledgement of a major part of LucasArts' legacy in a long, long time.

They made another announcement the other day and just came out and said it wasn't X-Wing. That doesn't mean it couldn't be Tie-Fighter, but I doubt they'd be so coy about it.

figmentPez

Staff member
AshburnerX said:
They made another announcement the other day and just came out and said it wasn't X-Wing. That doesn't mean it couldn't be Tie-Fighter, but I doubt they'd be so coy about it.
From the Lucas Arts Twitter

"Got a back-catalog announcement on Monday. It's not X-Wing! I'm heading THAT rumor off at the pass!"

"It's not tie fighter either. Geez guys. Be more inventive!"

"Last hint: of all the responses, only one right guess. Poor guy doesn't even know he got it right. :)"

I'm so glad we got the original X-Wing (and Dark Forces) running on gf's computer last year. I'm halfway trhough with both by now (too much playing those ancient Pixels really hurts, you got to squint your eyes a lot in Dark Forces).

But I totally would buy a re-textured version of both games because the storylines and the scenarios are great!

Same goes for Outlaws!

fade

Staff member
Oh man, Tie Fighter was the single greatest use of a joystick ever. That was pure fun. If I look back on my history of game playing and I pick the games that were actually thrilling and fun, rather than merely an amusing diversion, Tie Fighter is at the top of the list.

Tie Fighter was awesome for how completely merciless it was to you. Unlike in X-Wing where you had shields and could actually take a hit, your pathetic Ties were gone in a shot or two...at leat until you got an Advanced or eventually the Defender. Awesome game.

Tie Fighter > X-Wing

Flying with Darth Vader is still the greatest moment in Star Wars video games.

G

GeneralOrder24

...and it's super star wars for wii. Of all the games they put out, you think they could have gone with somthing better. Not that I didn't enjoy the trilogy on the SNES, but...meh.

Actually, Super Star Wars IS a great game. It's just not the great game that most of the fan-base WANTS. That's always going to be X-Wing/Tie-Fighter until we get it. You'd think they'd fucking get a clue by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.