LOLBat - Issue #1, Pages 1-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThatNickGuy

Page 1 – 6 panels

The page is cut down the middle, with two opposing views. The right side has three kids sitting around a campfire. I’ll describe them in a second. This is the Campfire Internet Chat Channel. Of course, reality on the internet is arguable, judging by their appearances: over-exaggerated that make them look as “great” as inhumanly possible. Three panels going down for this, each a closer shot of the teenage avatars.

On the left side is reality, also a close-up, but from the waist up from the viewpoint of a computer monitor. Now we see what each of the chatters really look like, which is nothing remotely to their online avatars.

All dialogue takes place on the Campfire side and is done in a chat style, with the text boxed in above and their user names going with their speech.

[1] A fireside close-up of Chatter #1, Stay Puff. He’s wearing the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man’s trademark sailor hat. He’s dressed like a buffed sailor (short sleeves ripped from rippling muscles). Big mustache on him, too, akin to Butler himself or Tom Selleck. He’s beefy, like the other Stay Puff, but muscular.

Caption: You’ve entered CICC: Campfire Internet Chat Channel!
Stay Puff: i know! we tell LOLbat stories!

[2] Stay Puff’s reality: an older man, balding, in his 50s or 60s. He’s the stereotypical old man who surfs the net for young boys, but never meets up with them.

[3] A fireside close-up of Chatter #2, h0td@wg. A tough looking bulldog design adorns his shirt. He’s got a real mean, pitbull kind of look to him, teeth bared, froth coming out of his mouth. Maybe add a spike collar and wristbands.

h0td@wg: LOLbat? Lame! I thought tonight was ghost story night!
Stay Puff: Later? got a juicy 1 bout old lady haunted by ghost cats

[4] h0td@wg’s counterpart is a skinny teenage nerd. He’s a total nerd, too, complete with pocket protector, rim glasses and oily hair.

[5] CandleJim is dressed in a similar style to Candle Jack from the show, Freakazoid. Maybe invert the colours (black top, grey bottoms) and make the mask more like The Spectre, so it’s not a complete copy of Candle Jack.

CandleJim: No this is good! I love LOLBat. He’s great!
h0td@wg: u would. more like LAMEBat
Stay Puff: so we gun tell wat? origin stories?
CandleJim: Sure!
h0td@wg: Gaaaaaaaaay!

[6] Surprise! CandleJim is actually a stay-at-home mom with kids crying in the background.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Page 2 – Title/Credits Page

Full-page spread of the campfire chat, with Stay Puff standing up, arms outstretched in a spooky “I’m a vampire and I’m gonna eat you!” stance. In fact, the closer this is to mimicking Stay Puff Marshmallow Man stomping down Manhattan, the better!

h0td@wg and CandleJim are looking at each other. CJ, with shocked expression, has a hand cupped over his mouth. h0td@wg, with a twisted and perturbed expression, is making a masterbating motion with his right and.

Above each of them is an opaque LOLBat. Each one is a different ideal of their viewpoint on the character. They’re all pointing accusingly at each other, trying to prove that they are the proper version! Here’s a short description of each, which will carry through into each of their stories:

Stay Puff’s LOLBat: Hands on his hips, squinted eyes and a cape. Stay Puff’s LOLBat design is heavily borrowed from Superman, especially his design from the Fleischer cartoons.

H0td@wg’s LOLBat: Total Frank Miller Batman style: giant of a man, broad chin with peach fuzz, a black LOLBat symbol on a grey shirt.

CandleJim’s LOLBat: Shazam! Short cape with gold tassels, lightning coming down and striking him. This is a beefier Fleischer-type look, almost Ed McGuinnes beefy, so maybe use his style of Superman as reference (squinty eyes).

Stay Puff: and now i tell you the…

Title: THE SUP3R S3CR3T ORGEN 0F LOL-BAT!

Credits
LOLBat is a creation of Scott Kurtz.
Written by: Nick “The Brick” Piers.
Drawn by: Scott “Kool Kat” Kurtz.

I

Iaculus

Well, it's the introduction. Comments usually come once you have the meat of a story to dig into.

T

ThatNickGuy

Which won't be shown on here, as I'm reserving from writing any further unless I hear back from Kurtz. The only reason I'll put any more work into this is if he's interested in doing some kind of a monthly comic. As I said over in Media Madness, I'm interested in turning this into a monthly or semi-monthly comic at Image.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm still interested to hear what others think of what I've got, as far as style and such.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I still think that I will hunt you down, hogtie you and ship you in your skivvies to Shego with a pair of tweezers and a note saying "Enjoy" if you continue the blasphemy that Lolbat is Butler the butler.

But hey, that's just me.

Nice introduction, otherwise.

Nothing? No comments? :(
It's not my cup of tea, but it's not due to your writing, the character and world does not appeal to me.

I hope you catch Kurtz in a good mood (oh, and at a point in time where he checks his email and actually thinks about it immediately instead of going, "Oh... interesting... well, I'll think about it..." never getting back to it).

Besides, if Justin didn't fly, I doubt this treatment would either, especially given how polarizing it is.

Don't mean to be a downer, but you did ask twice for input...

:)

-Adam

T

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, like I said, I'm not getting my hopes up. It was fun to get the creative juices going, though. Heck, I even thought of an idea for a themed group of villains that would be like the Anti-LOLBat.

I think part of the problem that I've had with this, and why i haven't commented before now, is that i have a hard time visualizing in comic format what exactly you're trying to describe.

When you say things like "trying to prove that they are the proper version" I can visualize all these lolbats pointing at each other, but I don't think that's the idea (proving they're the real lolbat) that such an image would convey. When you say Stay Puff trolls the internet for young boys, how is that in any way told by the panel you've set up?

I think you have some funny ideas of who your characters are and what they are doing, and you've told us those things, but I'm not sure how that'll translate into SHOWING us when it gets turned into comic format. Maybe that's just me, though.

A technical nitpick: I have a hard time seeing how all of the dialogue in panel 5 will fit without it becoming a great big old-style Buckley wordathon panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.