Let's talk D&D

OMG my ref crew has started talks about starting a D&D campaign. I am so excited! I knew these were my people.

I haven't read. I have only glanced at the PHB. I've heard it is more streamlined than 3.5, but less WOW-esque than 4e.

Is it just me, or are War Clerics complete beasts in 5e?
Everyone got a bit of an upgrade from 3.5 to 5, except magic users who got nerfed by making it impossible for them to simply buff their way out of any problem. Now that the most powerful spells require concentration, you basically have to stick to a few key spells. Then again, some spells are kind of nasty when used correctly and lower level spells got buffed by allowing most of the good ones to be cast at a higher level for greater effect, so it's a fair trade off.

I was laughing my ass off at inflict wounds being a 3d10 lvl 1 spell. If you are a War Cleric, that is basically ridiculous, since you are probably going to be in touch range.

Also I liked 4e in a lot of ways, so you're skipping from 3.5 - 5 offends me. ;)

I was laughing my ass off at inflict wounds being a 3d10 lvl 1 spell. If you are a War Cleric, that is basically ridiculous, since you are probably going to be in touch range.

Also I liked 4e in a lot of ways, so you're skipping from 3.5 - 5 offends me. ;)
3d10 vs 1 target, at most twice a day at lvl 1... which also means you aren't packing a Cure Wounds, which means your friends will hate you. It's great at later levels, but starting out it's not hot shit, especially when your cantrips will more than suffice. Compare that to Sleep, which can completely nullify an entire encounter at Lvl 1.

Pfffft, you're assuming the cleric is the healer of the party, which is not always the case. You'd be a backup healer sure. But you are packing a cleric and a druid now, the druid can pack as much healing power as a cleric. Actually one of my pet peeves about 5e is that they are trying too hard to "balance" healers and it reeks of WoW. The other would be that I feel they did a terrible job with scaling low level mobs, but that's what being the DM is for.

Our healing duties are split between our cleric and our bard. So far so good.
They concentrate on healing our Barbarian mostly, as the rogue (me) tries to avoid getting hit.
We have been lucky at finding health pots and have yet to even use our hit dice.

Our Cleric has found a lot of use of Sacred Flame, but we are only at 3rd level right now.[DOUBLEPOST=1423533799,1423533471][/DOUBLEPOST]I've been thinking about the Resurrection spell, and was thinking that you could have a shop where the Cleric has the diamonds in a vault and charges for the materials and labour so to speak.
Maybe he has a deal with a mine and can get them at a discount?
Just a thought.

I've been thinking about the Resurrection spell, and was thinking that you could have a shop where the Cleric has the diamonds in a vault and charges for the materials and labour so to speak.
Maybe he has a deal with a mine and can get them at a discount?
Just a thought.
I always believed that major temples simply get them as tithes or as repayment for doing other spell work that doesn't need them as reagents. You need to remember that Clerics are fully ordained members of their churches... they don't get to do their magic for profit except as a means to keep the temple going or to fund other charitable works. They are servants of gods, not wizards looking to finance spell research or get rich.

Welp... time for us to get another game going...

EDIT: Holy fuck, it's got other systems too. Deadlands Reloaded, Call of Cthulhu, Mutants and Masterminds... we'd have a good pick of systems and we can dump in our own maps if we want to. This is a game changer.

... FUCK THAT.[DOUBLEPOST=1429756653,1429756557][/DOUBLEPOST]
GAME + DLC$ 1,407.62​
Add all DLC to Cart

Fantasy Grounds Ultimate license doesn't look too bad, price wise...a little over a hundred bucks (which would've been like 4 rulebooks back when I played) gets you the ability to host games to unlicensed players, and has D&D 3.5, 4, 5 and pathfinder rulesets/dlc included.

I'd rather use something like Gametable that just gives me grids and dice, than spend a shit load on something that needs to have rule packs added on. Because really, I don't need to have all of that stuff pre-built for me, I can just make my own maps and throw them in.

You know, now that you mention it about how D&D and WOW have the similarity in DLC (except D&D called them "manuals" and "adventure packs")...

Sorry I'm high AF right now and I find North Ranger's responses awesome. :)

Does anyone play 5th edition? None of that Pathfinder stuff scrubs like Frank play.

5th has it's issues, but in sure "pick up and play"-ness, it's much better than 3, 3.5, or 4. It even has a bit of depth to it; there are definitely reasons to multi-class (Warlock levels for Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, Wizard levels to get most out of Storm Cleric, etc) and feats are both more powerful and less absolutely necessary.

My only real complaint is there are some CLEAR winners and losers for archetypes.

I'm playing in a 5e game, but I can't see myself ever DMing. 2e, DCCRPG, and non-D20-based systems all feel much better to run for me (and probably to be a player in, but I'm fairly easy to please as a player mechanics-wise).