Export thread

Let's talk D&D

Jay

Jay

i miss the talks we used to have...

a few questionS to launch the thread :

1. do you play d&d? if so, tell us about it. if you don't... do you miss It?

2. favorite alignMent?

3. how excited are you about the 5th edition?

4. what setting do you liKe best?

5. can you treat us with a memorable adventure you enjoyed In the past?

discuss my Nerdy friends

PatrThom

PatrThom

1) Not for a loooooong time.
2) Chaotic good (ADD is fun! Wheeee!)
3) No idea.
4) Outdoors. Think Minecraft-style habitat.
5) Ran a halfling thief I really enjoyed, but my all-time favorite was a 1.5E Monk with psionics.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

1. Pathfinder, but basically, yeah

2. Chaotic Neutral, the best alignment for going, "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

3. Eh, not really. As far as I know, my group and I are sticking with Pathfinder.

4. We mostly do homebrew settings, but they're pretty much Golarion-like.

5. My old 3.5 crew were in the Grey Wastes for some horrible reason and we were assaulted by a horde of spiked devils. After taking a pummeling from my spell slinging wizard, one of them decided to impale me on his body. This impaling dropped me into the negative hp. So our cleric kept casting heal on me each turn as the fighter, the barbarian and rogue wailed on the things as they passed me back and forth impaling me each turn. I literally went through my entire hp total almost half a dozen times in so many turns.

My teammates fought valiantly for my crotchety wizard who had spent the year and a half we'd be doing this adventure treating them like inferior poop. As thanks for their valour, in the next battle we'd ended up against a corpse gatherer thing. A construct immune to magic that put an epic beating on us. Well, them anyway. I cast invisibility and fly on myself and took off at top speed like the true hero I was.

Alternatively, it was a day where a lot of people no-showed so our DM came up with the meanest, nastiest thing he could think of for my wizard and my friend's rogue. We were investigating a mysterious cottage that appeared outside of the settlement camp our party had been staying in during our campaign. After solving a few puzzles that required the specific skills of both a super genius wizard and a nimble as fuck halfling, we came face to face with the cottage's (fortress on the inside) owner, a rather whimsical lich who gave us one chance at not being his new decorations.

He pulled out the deck of many things. Now, my character is smart, curious and completely sure of his superiority over most mortals (by this point his intelligence was higher than most demigods) to the point that he'd gone on to invent an entire line of brain busting strategy board games that had taken the homeland by storm (we did some fucking weird shit) but he'd never been what you'd call lucky. The lich wanted to play a game, we take turns drawing from the deck until someone either refused or was incapable of drawing any more cards. If we won, we'd be free to go, if we lost, well, he'd deal with us most comically. The rogue was excited, Frednando, the wizard, me, was less so.

We all drew two cards. The lich drew the one that increased your XP and caused you to draw more cards. He gained tens of thousands of xp this way through the most miraculously lucky draws of all time. He also drew a card that changed his alignment, to what, we wouldn't get the idea until later. The rogue, drew a card that granted him a weapon and a card that would cause a close ally to turn on him, this, being something that he'd be able to deal with later and not now, he was excited. I drew both black aces. All of my gear was destroyed and my fucking very body and soul were locked away as an imprison spell (the rescue of Frednando would be an epic multi-week adventure that would come later).

At this point, the lich had suddenly had a change of heart. He gave the rogue some healing potions he had lying around, gave him instructions on how he and the rest of our party could rescue me and sent him on his way before vowing to right the wrongs he had committed throughout his millenia of evil. The fucker had randomly changed from chaotic evil to lawful good.

When the rogue got back to the settlement, he decided to go visit the settlement's archmage, one of the leaders of the expedition, to find out how rad the new weapon he had been granted by the deck was. He was shown up to the archmage's laboratory, without even being made to wait, which was a little unusual. Upon coming face to face with the archmage, was put into a hold person spell where the archmage recounted how he had recently come across evidence of the rogue's nefarious activity (the rogue had talked his way into taking the lead investigator role in routing out the thieves guild that had taken up shop in the settlement, upon dismantling of the guild, the rogue had set himself up as the new boss and had been behind a huge crime spree while maintaining the guise of trying to stop it) and how he had been found guilty and sentenced in absentia.

This is when the archmage disintegrated the rogue.

Deck of Many Things man, fuck.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

2. favorite alignMent?

discuss my Nerdy friends
1.) I miss it. Haven't really gotten to play in years.
2.)Alignments are specific to characters. I can make it all work, from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil.
3.) 5th Edition has a lot of changes I -really- like, especially with how Channel Divinity is handled now.
4.) Ravenloft is probably my fav setting, which is a shame because they seem to have abandoned it.
5.) Nope.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Simkin? :confused:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

2. favorite alignMent?
discuss my Nerdy friends
  1. Probably not for 20 years. Not really.
  2. When I was a kid, I got a kick out of playing CE. I thought evil was "KoOl". These days, I'd probably play CG. I'm still a bit ambivalent on rules if they don't make sense for the greater good.
  3. Meh
  4. Homegrown settings
  5. Nah.

Frank

Frank

Wow, sprained ankle painkiller me writes meandering messes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Best character I ever made was actually for a GURPS game. He was a chronothief, a thief that had the amazing ability to steal items from the future... but only from himself.

It worked based on the basic property of adventurer item inflation. This theory states that since adventurers are constantly upgrading their gear, any gear they possess in the future is going to be of better quality than the gear they possess in the present. So in a great time of need, he would blink into the future to steal an awesome amazing sword from himself.

Unfortunately, this tended to only last a few seconds, as soon after a past version of himself would appear and steal the very same sword from him.

Jay

Jay

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just assumed he was somehow inebriated.

--Patrick

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Who the frak is Simkin?

Shawn

Shawn

2. favorite alignMent?

1) I haven't played in well over 2 years. Unfortunately I just don't have the time. My wife isn't very understanding of my desire to sit down and play this with my friends. She would rather insist that I include her, which in itself isn't such a bad thing, except it does limit our availability even more. I've been wanting to sit down and plan my own game so I can run it when I'm able, but with work, kids and school I'm lucky if I have an hour to myself every few days. And of course I miss it. I want to get wrapped up in another adventure. And do I really want to DM? A bit I guess... but I'd love to play too. That's what I miss. The opportunity to do both. Gah. I have so many ideas, and so many characters I want to play. I'm just.... stuck in life. Fuck.

2) I can have fun with any alignment. I think OotS has proven that every alignment can have great characters. Actually one of my favorite characters was Lawful Good. And that really annoying lawful good where all she wanted to do was boss everyone around and make them do the "right thing".

3) I'm excited about 5th edition. I know I would test play it right now, but I just don't have the time. I hope that it's a return to some older editions, and still manage to keep alive some of the simplicity of 4th. I quite enjoyed huge lists of skills and abilities. I've always been disappointed with the most recent skill set. It was like what... 7-10 skills you could rank up in? 3rd edition at least had a good set available. And oh man... the fun I had making a character in 2nd edition. Those were the days. "

4) My favorite setting has always been Ravenloft. I've always just liked bleak settings where the PCs have to be the best thing in the world because everything else is so wicked and evil. And then my second love is Eberron. Such a wonderfully crafted world.

5) I think one of my favorite memories was a few years ago when I played a sword mage named Denan. Denan was a good fellow, neutral good actually. He just sit back and let everyone else sort of take the lead, but he was always there to back folks up. Also in the party we had a very snappy, racist Elf wizard. And then there was our adventuring loony... who was always good for a laugh as he bravely stepped into every situation half blinded by a desire for chivalry. In one session we got into a situation where we pretty much were tricked into summoning an avatar of Orcus. The avatar was basically about to destroy us when our Loon stepped up and announced that for the safety of the party he would agree to be Orcus' herald. The avatar agreed and marked our knight as a chosen of Orcus and left us. the Elf quickly announced he would no longer adventure with a chosen of Orcus and told him to hit the road. As my character I lost my shit on him. It was probably one of the most amazing in-character rants I had ever made. I was completely immersed in my character and I sat there and berated the Elf for about a minute and a half. Basically explaining to him that our Knight just sacrificed himself for the good of the party, and I would be damned if I let him out of my sight until we managed to undo what he just did. And if the Elf didn't like it he could GTFO.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Who the frak is Simkin?
psst...there's a secret link in my post up there.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

2. favorite alignMent?

discuss my Nerdy friends
1. Did. I miss it quite a bit, but I don't miss most of the people that I played with.

2. Chaotic Good. I normally ran rangers.

3. Not at all. I have not bought a book since v.2

4. Mostly played homebrew campaigns. But I really dug the Dragonlance campaigns from the old Gold Box SSI computer games.

5. In part with answer 1. I had to kill party members for being bullying, time wasting, punks...

Shawn

Shawn

So what kind of new stuff are they incorporating into D&D Next. I haven't had the time to really delve into the available playtest materials. I took a peek and it seems like they are combining 4th edition with 3rd edition. I saw the "spells per level" chart and got a little excited.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So what kind of new stuff are they incorporating into D&D Next. I haven't had the time to really delve into the available playtest materials. I took a peek and it seems like they are combining 4th edition with 3rd edition. I saw the "spells per level" chart and got a little excited.
Limited spells are back, but you also get cantrips and orisons, which are weak but infinite use spells. So you might only be able to cast Sleep X times per a day, but you'd be able to use Ray of Frost as many times as you want. You can also cast ritual spells, which have a long setup time but don't count against your spells per a day. I feel like this is the best of both 3rd and 4th editions, as far as magic goes anyway.

The biggest change for Fighters is that they gain extra abilities as they level in the form of expertise dice, which can be used for special maneuvers, which can range from doing extra damage to preventing attacks from hitting friends. These are regained like spells via rest.

Frank

Frank

Unlimited 0 levels are what Pathfinder brought to the table. The fighter stuff sounds neat.

Jay

Jay

I wonder when 5th is going to be ready.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I wonder when 5th is going to be ready.
I think they mentioned in an email a while back that they are probably doing one more testing phase and then they will be done.

Jay

Jay

So between now and Xmas ?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So between now and Xmas ?
I doubt they will have it fully written, laid out, with art and printed by then.

Draxo

Draxo

Me and my friend are planning to co-DM an epic campaign sometime within the next week or so. I'm kind of nervous but excited about it. We'll be both alternating between player and DM roles, with the other running the game in the off week.

Story? All right.

Back in the early 2000's my old group were fighting some evil spellcasters and we stormed into their mansion to take them down after tkaing out their guards. We have this epic fight and at the end we're all down on hit points and I remember our CN party ranger had exactly 3. While we were searching for clues the ranger takes off on his own to 'loot the sorcerers bedroom' and he came across the evil sorcerer's pet badger. No not a dire one. just a badger. he declared 'I charge attack and kill it' and rolled, he got a 1. The DM the says 'I.. guess it flies into a rage and bites you' and rolled. A natural 20. he rolled again as we all started grinning at the rangers player who had this 'oh f**k' look on his face. The dice came up 20 again. Damage time and he rolls max. All this in the middle of the board, so no takebacks.

And that is the story of how a 12th level ranger got killed by a badger. We found him with a badger sat on top of his corpse after the DM explained the badger, being a cornered badger.. had given his unconscious body a good ravaging to death and since he hadn't told anyone where he was going there was nobody to help him (since the player had intended to keep any loot for himself.. not the first time he had pulled that one). We all decided that the badger must have leveled up and was a bada*s and left him there.

Shawn

Shawn

Me and my friend are planning to co-DM an epic campaign sometime within the next week or so. I'm kind of nervous but excited about it. We'll be both alternating between player and DM roles, with the other running the game in the off week.

Story? All right.

Back in the early 2000's my old group were fighting some evil spellcasters and we stormed into their mansion to take them down after tkaing out their guards. We have this epic fight and at the end we're all down on hit points and I remember our CN party ranger had exactly 3. While we were searching for clues the ranger takes off on his own to 'loot the sorcerers bedroom' and he came across the evil sorcerer's pet badger. No not a dire one. just a badger. he declared 'I charge attack and kill it' and rolled, he got a 1. The DM the says 'I.. guess it flies into a rage and bites you' and rolled. A natural 20. he rolled again as we all started grinning at the rangers player who had this 'oh f**k' look on his face. The dice came up 20 again. Damage time and he rolls max. All this in the middle of the board, so no takebacks.

And that is the story of how a 12th level ranger got killed by a badger. We found him with a badger sat on top of his corpse after the DM explained the badger, being a cornered badger.. had given his unconscious body a good ravaging to death and since he hadn't told anyone where he was going there was nobody to help him (since the player had intended to keep any loot for himself.. not the first time he had pulled that one). We all decided that the badger must have leveled up and was a bada*s and left him there.
Did someone at least taunt the player by sneaking up to his ear and starting into a glorious round of "Badger badger badger badger..."

Draxo

Draxo

I believe so! It was a meme at the time.

To this day he swears it was a dire badger.. but we all know the truth.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

5th Ed drops this August.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

From what I played of it, it's going to be a massive improvement over 4th and maybe even over 3.5.

Jay

Jay

I stopped keeping track. How has it progressed?

PatrThom

PatrThom

maybe even over 3.5.
Oh?

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh?

--Patrick
You get greater flexability right out of the box... you don't need supplements to make guys like fighters and barbarians viable, because they've been reworked to have more useful tricks. Deity worship is no longer restricted by alignment; all gods have multiple aspects. Clerics and wizards still have infinite use cantrips so they can magic things without running out later on. Really powerful spells are usually restricted to rituals. The whole thing has just been rebalanced very well.

Shawn

Shawn

You get greater flexability right out of the box... you don't need supplements to make guys like fighters and barbarians viable, because they've been reworked to have more useful tricks. Deity worship is no longer restricted by alignment; all gods have multiple aspects. Clerics and wizards still have infinite use cantrips so they can magic things without running out later on. Really powerful spells are usually restricted to rituals. The whole thing has just been rebalanced very well.
I think the most important thing I'm looking for in a game is customization. And it has to be customization that has an impact on the game and the rules.
I mean it's one thing to say "My character has this, this and this" adding flavor text to him/her, but if they don't have an overall impact, even if a small one, it won't keep the game fresh and new. I feel that of all the published editions I think that 2nd had the best of that realm. I'm hopeful that the next one will be just as good.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think the most important thing I'm looking for in a game is customization. And it has to be customization that has an impact on the game and the rules.
I mean it's one thing to say "My character has this, this and this" adding flavor text to him/her, but if they don't have an overall impact, even if a small one, it won't keep the game fresh and new. I feel that of all the published editions I think that 2nd had the best of that realm. I'm hopeful that the next one will be just as good.
I think the Deity rules kind of exemplify that: A sun worshiper (get attack spells) has very different spells and abilities than a war god worshiper (gets abilities that make them better at melee) and both are different than a follower of the Reaper (gets undead creation, control, and necromagic). A lot of stuff is tied into Divine Intervention... the sun worshiper might get an PBAOE attack, a war worshiper might get smites, and a nature worshiper might get extra heals/damage prevention. Paladins are like this too, as the oath they follow determines what they can and can't do. Basically every class gets choices on what they can and can't do, which means your character might not be at all like another character of the same class... and this is without taking a prestige class.

Jay

Jay

So new DnD gaming group? :)

Covar

Covar

So it's Pathfinder?

Paizo does such a good job, and WotC screwed up D&D so bad with 4e I just can't bring myself to care about 5th edition. At this point it's just the incredibly strong association of the name that's keeping it alive.

Jay

Jay

Uh huh. Sure.

Anyways, those who do care, D&D GROUP!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Uh huh. Sure.

Anyways, those who do care, D&D GROUP!
I think you mean AD&DVENTURES, ASSEMBLE!

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd be up for some D&D, once we know what version we're doing. Though we could always just use the latest 5th Ed beta rules.

Jay

Jay

http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/DnDBasicRules.pdf

Gonna bump this.

Anyone take the time to check it out?

What dates are the books going to be released?

Maybe we can get semi-serious on getting a game going in the Fall?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have the Starter Set right now!

It's sitting on the couch!

Unable to be opened until my anniversary.....

@Squidleybits is a big meanie.

Jay

Jay

What does it consist of?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Basic rules, character progression through level 5, pregen characters, module.

Simple everything thing you need to start playing the game.

I tried to argue that since I won't get the Players Handbook until August, that if I opened up the starter set now it would average out to our anniversary.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

that logic is faulty.

Dave

Dave

Here's what I have:

D&D Next Files.png

Shawn

Shawn

Would be nice.
Not sure I'd ever have the time again. =(

fade

fade

I haven't played in about 20 years, but Bound Accuracy looks like something I would like. Keep the normies and the low levels relevant.

Jay

Jay

How was the beginner set mr hobo

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Has a nostalgic feel to it. Gets me excited for the PHB next month and its visually stunning.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Further review,

I enjoy the simplicity of resolving conflicts for conditions,

I am very pleased with the new non magical healing. I also like the death rules.

Only draw back I can see with the basic set is that the rules are clearly taken from the more detailed players handbook and that could lead to some minor confusion. Since the start set only has pregenerated characters tracing each of them out through level five, there is no section in the rules detailing classes and advancement. So when you read the combat section and it references something that clearly should have been laid out earlier you are left a bit confused if you were a new player.

Other than that it is a good starter box for new players.

Module is excellent and has many of the characteristics that made 4th ed DMG so good.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, I've looked over and liked the Basic Rules. For the first time in 3 years, I'll be playing some DND end of the month! Woo!

...Anyone know when or where we'll see the rest of races/classes, if I'm not keen on buying yet another 3 books straight away? the DM'll have them next week, but I won't see him before we play anymore....

Covar

Covar

I'd assume the Players Handbook, unless WotC didn't learn their lesson with that crap in 4th ed.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, yes, obviously :^p

Covar

Covar

Is there an SRD like 3.5 had?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Got the PHB yesterday and its very good. Artwork is great and I mean great, better than 4th or Pathfinder. Feels immersive.

Like bounded accuracy. Overall quite a balanced system.

Big spoiler: multiclass and feats are optional and have a serious consideration to take them.

Back to rolling for stats! And with BA, 15 is a big stat now.

Jay

Jay

When is the DM book out? I think once that's out we can start pre-prepping shit.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Monster Manual - September 30, 2014
Dungeon Masters Guide - November 18, 2014

Shawn

Shawn

When is the DM book out? I think once that's out we can start pre-prepping shit.
It would be nice. I guess its always a possibility i might be able to join. There is absolutely no chance in hell I'd have the time to GM again.

Jay

Jay

Jesus Christ why November

Shawn

Shawn

Jesus Christ why November
And why after the Monster Manual? Never been in that order before.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Big thing to adjust to with the new addition is that magic is very rare and powerful, and desired. The concept of you being able to purchase a +1 short sword is ridiculous, a +1 weapon can be a game breaker now and last you throughout your career. So the typical lists of magic items in the DMG I expect to be very very small and we should be able to survive until then with the online materials that they are providing.

For your consideration; made up a max level barbarian last night; switching from a regular weapon to a +1 weapon increased his average damage per round by 17%

Jay

Jay

Nice.

Is there enough out there to start an actual campaign?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nice.

Is there enough out there to start an actual campaign?
Look for yourself. It's probably enough to do some very basic stuff.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

More than enough to start the first few levels.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Further review or rules simplified
6 stats for 6 checks.
DM tells you what stat check you roll.
Add your stat bonus.
if you are proficient add proficiency bonus
add magic bonus
if you have advantage roll twice take highest, disadvantaged take lowest
determine results

and that's the core the system

Skills weaponry armor all revolve around proficiency, if you have proficiency you are good at it if you don't you are average

And you want advantage at all costs

Jay

Jay

Let's try a mock game night in early Sept? What say you HC?

Shawn

Shawn

My ability to play would depend completely on the time/day of the game. Also if my wife is allowed to join would also increase the likelihood.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Lemme read up on the free rules, then I'll be available for something.

Jay

Jay

Dors anyone know what is the recommended limit on players for 5th? I know in 4th 6 players start to slow things down.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Big thing to adjust to with the new addition is that magic is very rare and powerful, and desired. The concept of you being able to purchase a +1 short sword is ridiculous, a +1 weapon can be a game breaker now and last you throughout your career.
This is perhaps the most intriguing thing I've heard about this release. I got soooo tired of artifact inflation. A magic weapon should feel magic, and all my campaigns were played that way, where having a +1 sword gave a character a tangible advantage and not just stop by D-Mart to pick up a wagonload of vorpal longswords because "you need it since liches and rust monsters around these parts breed like cockroaches."

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh. Practically every new edition of D&D they've tried to make magic rarer and feel more special. Ultimately many players just like having high fantasy settings with lots of magic to make them feel more "special", so DMs throw in lots of magic items anyway. making a +1 more game-changing won't change that - it'll just mean people will "break" the game earlier and they'll need to introduce harder enemies at lower levels to compensate for "overpowered" PCs.
Besides, magic-poor worlds make it harder to sensibly play a Mage/Wizard/Sorceror/Warlock, in my opinion. Either you're incredibly rare, or there's plenty of them. If you're a rarity, fine, but let's not have any magic enemies, either ,than...Which tends to mean there's only 2 or 3 enemy archetypes left. Or if magic users are fairly common, there's no sensible reason to have magic items be so rare.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Eh. Practically every new edition of D&D they've tried to make magic rarer and feel more special. Ultimately many players just like having high fantasy settings with lots of magic to make them feel more "special", so DMs throw in lots of magic items anyway. making a +1 more game-changing won't change that - it'll just mean people will "break" the game earlier and they'll need to introduce harder enemies at lower levels to compensate for "overpowered" PCs.
Besides, magic-poor worlds make it harder to sensibly play a Mage/Wizard/Sorceror/Warlock, in my opinion. Either you're incredibly rare, or there's plenty of them. If you're a rarity, fine, but let's not have any magic enemies, either ,than...Which tends to mean there's only 2 or 3 enemy archetypes left. Or if magic users are fairly common, there's no sensible reason to have magic items be so rare.
The real issue in previous editions was that being a warrior kind of sucked, so you needed to hit those magic items early. Unfortunately, so did the enemies to make them any sort of challenge. This had the side effect of making magic items super common. This has been remedied in the new edition by giving fighters extra damage dice that they can use for damage or to do other effects, like disarming or knocking down an opponent.

Personally, I want a pen and paper experience that is more like Dark Souls: Magic is common enough that everyone knows it exists and has probably seen it in some form, but only a few actually know how to DO anything with it. Your average smith might be able to make your weapons and armor better but only the best can make it truly excellent. More importantly, only people of true faith or cunning can wield magic without cost... everyone else has to settle for other solutions, like enchanted urns filled with magic or burning oil.

fade

fade

My favorite class has always been bard, and the new 5e bard looks interesting.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm liking how all the classes are unique and different. Sorcerer looks very nice.

Shawn

Shawn

The Bard really reminds me of some of the older editions. I'm intrigued.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Looking forward to seeing the sorceror/warlock/etc - curious how they'll compare to each other and 3.5/4.0 versions :)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Wizards: able to learn any number of spells, but must memorize the ones they want to cast each day and have limited numbers of spells they can cast
Warlocks: very out of the box, heavy reliance on pact abilities, more locked into their choices but still versatile
Sorcerors: only know so many spells, no need to memorize, can only cast so many per day, absolute kings of on the spot versatile casting

Jay

Jay

Rogues?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Very classic. Sneaky but requiring situations to shine. ie: if you take your attention away from the rogue to concentrate of the fighter right in front of you, you're gonna have a bad time
Blended with three classic archetypes: acrobat, assassin, spellstealer

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wizards: able to learn any number of spells, but must memorize the ones they want to cast each day and have limited numbers of spells they can cast
Warlocks: very out of the box, heavy reliance on pact abilities, more locked into their choices but still versatile
Sorcerors: only know so many spells, no need to memorize, can only cast so many per day, absolute kings of on the spot versatile casting
Do Wizards, sorcerers, and Clerics still get the infinite use cantrips? I know it's something they added in for the early levels to get rid of the idiocy of a wizard having to wade into melee with a staff and robes.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Bards, Clerics, Druids, Sorcerers, Warlocks and Wizards all get cantrips. And they scale with level, but are still outshone by actual spells.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Bards, Clerics, Druids, Sorcerers, Warlocks and Wizards all get cantrips. And they scale with level, but are still outshone by actual spells.
Well yeah, but that's fine. The whole point was to keep you from ether doing nothing during a turn or doing something stupid.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I too remember the days of deciding to use up that spell or throw a dart.

Frank

Frank

Ordered a copy of the PH. Look forward to it. All the guys I used to Pathfinder with are heavily discussing it. I'm really liking a lot of what I read.

Dave

Dave

God damn it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

a good start.jpg

Jay

Jay

I want in.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's a lonely d12 d20 you got there.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

That's a lonely d12 you got there.

--Patrick
????

Jay

Jay

He meant the d20

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What a hobo. That's my original d20 from the original set box in the 70's.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sorry, yes. d20. I still have my "you need to rub the included white crayon into all the numbers" set that I bought at the local bookstore (now closed) when 2nd edition was still getting its supplements.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So... it's apparent we need to set up a game then.

Jay

Jay

Who DMs

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I will DM a game over vent/irc on September 20 8pm Atlantic.

It will be the module from the basic set.

Jay

Jay

Tentatively in, rogue. :)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fuck... I'm going to pick up the book while it's only 30.

Jay

Jay

I'll wait a little while to see how I like the game before I'll buy any books.

Frank

Frank

Jay

Jay

Used for 50$.

wat

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So looking at the Basic Rules download, it mentions that you should talk to your DM for information about playing Death Domain clerics... except there is NO information about it in the DM rules. Looking on Reddit, it says those rules aren't in the Player's Handbook ether.

Which means I need to wait until... what, october, and buy ANOTHER book to play the character I want. What the hell?

Jay

Jay

It bolds well. :)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

November I believe.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Having now looked over all of the PHB....I can't quite decide whether I like the Lock or Sorceror better. Or, frankly ,the Wiz, because they really are all quite similar. Lock can be incredibly powerful, IF your DM allows plenty of short rests. If your DM sticks to "short rest means 1 hour of uninterrupted nothing in a safe environment", aka, practically impossible in a dungeon, Locks are crappy weak-ass casters with less and weaker spells than a wizard. If you get plenty of short rests, they're more like their 3.5 counterparts, having slightly less powerful spells/invocations but being able to throw them around willy-nilly.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

"short rest means 1 hour of uninterrupted nothing in a safe environment",
That's one of the biggest shockers to 4E players.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Indeed. Though I have to say, I've never played with a DM who enforces those rules all too strictly - in 3.0 and 3.5 (not sure about 4 really), a night's rest was also only supposed to count if it was uninterrupted and 8 or so hours. But you were supposed to roll for a random encounter every...2 hours? And you had a 1/4 chance or so of having an encounter? I mean, RAW would mean you'd regularly start your day off unhealed, unrefreshed, and without new spells.
While we've had to interrupt our rests and rest longer because of it, meaning we couldn't leave at first light but left around 10ish or so, I don't think our DMs ever just plain said "sorry, no new spells today! Sucks for you, you met those two wolfs!"

That said, yeah, a short rest's been made a bit tougher to take - those short rests were just too easy as healing moments in 4.0.

@Li3n

@Li3n

practically impossible in a dungeon
Do all dungeons not have any doors that lock?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Do all dungeons not have any doors that lock?
You mean the doors you had to pick because they were locked? Because someone else has the key?

Covar

Covar

You mean the doors you had to pick because they were locked? Because someone else has the key?
You know you could just kill all your players with a bolt of lightning and be done with it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You know you could just kill all your players with a bolt of lightning and be done with it.
Point taken. Personally, I've always limited it to one random encounter a night, max, unless there is a compelling reason why they shouldn't be camping out.

Dave

Dave

I have a rule set where I roll for random encounters the basic amount, but then I roll percentage twice if an encounter is had. The first percentile is the danger and the second is aggression. So say there's a high danger but low aggression, then the monster or beast will simply pass the group by. Or if there's a low danger, the aggression might not matter. It could be something like a mosquito bite. Something that has it out for the group or an individual, but doesn't disturb the camp.

Works out to really cut down on the encounters, but can throw some cool stuff in that adds flavor.

And if they find the tracks of the big bad thing that passed them by in the night, so much the better.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Ok, someone get a locksmith, we need to find out if one can lock a door with a lock-pick... (or you know, you can just use a piece of furniture to block the door, should work fine for an hour).

Point is, it's not that impossible, under the right conditions.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I will DM a game over vent/irc on September 20 8pm Atlantic.

It will be the module from the basic set.
Well my copy should be arriving Monday...

I heard we get actual software to use this time. Is that true?

Frank

Frank

I got my copy yesterday. I like the rules so far. It's different, but same enough that anyone who played 3.5 should grasp them quickly.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

From what I'm hearing, multi-class is game breaking for two reasons in particular:

- Multiclassing into Wizard has no downsides, as you lose nothing by doing so instead of starting as a wizard.
- If you have proficiency in an armor, you can cast spells without penalty.

This basically means that any intelligent player who wants to play Wizard is going to start as a fighter, get ALL of the weapon and armor proficiencies that way, then ether switch to Wizard at lvl 2, or stick it out for 1-2 levels for the extra attack and fighter bonus. Tank Mages are the new Wizard now, I guess. I'm not sure how this got past testing.

EDIT:

Thinking about it, it has further reaching issues. There is no reason not to start out as a fighter, no matter what you want to play, because you are always going to want the extra weapon or armor proficiency. Any non-dex based class is going to want to be able to wear at least medium armor for protection, especially casters. Dex-based classes are still going to want it for the extra weapon proficiencies. Clerics are going to want the better weapon choices.

In essence, the way multi-classing works has made Dex a minor-dump stat because you will NEVER need more than +2 to have decent armor class, meaning the only time you'd actually want it is for dex classes or bow focused characters.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Except for the DM saying no multi-classing allowed. All the optional rules are game changing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Except for the DM saying no multi-classing allowed. All the optional rules are game changing.
It would probably be better to just say "No spell casting in armor except Divine spells", like it used to be. Multi-classing adds enough variance to the game the working around the broken rule is better than just getting rid of the customization. Looking at the book (mine came early), Clerics don't need it as much because any melee focused cleric (War, Tempest) gets them already. But it's your game and I wasn't planning on multi anyway.

I'm kind of home brewing a Death domain for my Cleric ATM... I'll submit it along with a cleric build. If you dig it, we'll go with it. If not, I'll roll up something else.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Alright... this was surprisingly painful to do for free, but I've got the official character sheets in a format that you can just use Paint or something to edit for characters. So... anyone planning to make a character for the game, here you go.

If someone wanted to turn those into a PDF you can just fill in or whatever, I'm sure there are thousands of players that would love you.

Attachments

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

If someone wanted to turn those into a PDF you can just fill in or whatever, I'm sure there are thousands of players that would love you.
Something like this, perhaps?

Attachments

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Something like this, perhaps?
Yes, JUST like that. I honestly wonder why Wizards didn't release that themselves, unless it's because they are planning to CHARGE us for it. I know they have a character gen utility and I believe it's going to be integrated into the online play platform they are working on. Supposedly they are going to sell module access there, so the DM can just buy a module and then everyone can play it on a virtual table top.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Yes, JUST like that. I honestly wonder why Wizards didn't release that themselves, unless it's because they are planning to CHARGE us for it. I know they have a character gen utility and I believe it's going to be integrated into the online play platform they are working on. Supposedly they are going to sell module access there, so the DM can just buy a module and then everyone can play it on a virtual table top.
Only took me about 20 minutes in Acrobat to put that together.

I admit that I didn't bother trying to make sure that the tab order for all of the fields was correct, but I did try to make sure that font sizes on multi-line fields were decent.

It wouldn't be *that* hard to create software what would let you keep track of your stats, and then print the info onto these character sheets on demand. I could probably whip up something like that in less than a day.[DOUBLEPOST=1409232018,1409231682][/DOUBLEPOST]Just noticed that there's an error in my form...the STR stat is duplicated "under" the DEX stat. I'll fix that when I get home from work and upload a new version.

The pdf could use some time and attention--some of my fields don't line up exactly, etc. But you get what you pay for ;)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Only took me about 20 minutes in Acrobat to put that together.

I admit that I didn't bother trying to make sure that the tab order for all of the fields was correct, but I did try to make sure that font sizes on multi-line fields were decent.

It wouldn't be *that* hard to create software what would let you keep track of your stats, and then print the info onto these character sheets on demand. I could probably whip up something like that in less than a day.[DOUBLEPOST=1409232018,1409231682][/DOUBLEPOST]Just noticed that there's an error in my form...the STR stat is duplicated "under" the DEX stat. I'll fix that when I get home from work and upload a new version.

The pdf could use some time and attention--some of my fields don't line up exactly, etc. But you get what you pay for ;)
I tried doing the same thing but I just couldn't get it to line up quite right.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

updated pdf with the glitch removed

Attachments

Jay

Jay

Gonna start reading the PM next week and get around to it. We still doing that game end of Sept?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Gonna start reading the PM next week and get around to it. We still doing that game end of Sept?
I believe that is still the plan. I already submitted a Paladin.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Still the plan.

Frank

Frank

Alright, having read most of the PHB, I am actually pretty upset at the wait they're putting us through for the MM and the DMG.

Jay

Jay

Hopefully I'll have time to start reading some this weekend. Been a crazy week.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

El bump!

Game is a week away now. Anyone else?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

El bump!

Game is a week away now. Anyone else?
I thought it was the 20th? Did it get moved to the 17th?

MindDetective

MindDetective

I so wish I could. Time is precious right now, though. :thumbsdown:

Dei

Dei

What day of the week and time is it at?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What day of the week and time is it at?
It was supposed to be the 20th at 7pm EST, which is a saturday, but I don't know if he's changing days or what.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It was supposed to be the 20th at 7pm EST, which is a saturday, but I don't know if he's changing days or what.
No same time and date, just well only 1 person committed thus far.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Two days until the game. Who all is in?

Jay

Jay

I can't make it sadly.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So the saturday game didn't happen because Vent was down. Now that it's back up, do we have any serious takers for another try? Maybe we should start off by saying what our availability is?

I'm generally available any time that isn't 9am-1:30pm on Mondays.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Possibly October 4th or maybe the 25th.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is this the right thread to talk about one of the Tales on Table Titans? Game of Throngs

The tale ends with "I learned a valuable lesson that day... not sure what it is yet, but I'll tell you when I figure it out." A lot of the tales end with no clear idea of what went wrong, and sometimes I don't know either, not having played much pen & paper RPG, but I can pretty easily tell you what happened in this case.

The DM let the player meta-game! The player should have not had any clue of the exact numbers that he'd need to roll to keep a certain number of ogres in check. The DM should have given vague descriptions of the player's mental effort and feelings of stress or mental decay. The player should not have been able to tell if he needed to roll an 18 or a 20, maybe not even know if they needed a 15 or a 20.

Then again, let's assume I'm wrong, and the player fairly would have had the in-game knowledge of the limitations of this unusual artifact (ha!). For the sake of argument, say this knight has enough knowledge of arcana to be able to know his capability with the artifact. That's when the DM throws shit at the player to force a penalty. Have a party of monsters stalk the players. Not attacking, but howling through the night to keep them awake. Fail a check to get decent rest? Take a -1 to your next willpower role. Miss another night of sleep? -2. Third night of sleep lost? -3. Want to mind c0ntrol what's keeping you up at night? Sorry, you don't know where it is out in the darkness, or how many there are. Hell, maybe it's mindless undead, or spirits, that can't be controlled. Make the players either let the giants go, or pull them closer and use them to fight. Don't just let your players have an uneventful march, hoping for the odds to finally catch up to them. You're telling an epic story, and if your players want to walk a risky path on a tightrope, then have a gremlin ready to jump on the line to make it more difficult for them.

Am I wrong about that?

Null

Null

A few times at conventions, I've have people talk about their gaming experiences, and one comment I have grown to hate is, "I like (x system) but it's really broken." I hate it because it is inevitably followed by discussions of a previous campaign where the DM was basically being Santa Claus, allowing all kinds of extraordinary combinations and legendary gear and essentially running a super-powered campaign without raising the corresponding difficulty. "So when my barbarian was using his +15 flaming vorpal greataxe of speed, he could easily do 200 points of damage per round. So you can see how broken the game is."

"Um, no, what I see is that your DM let you all play in god mode with really high power levels."
"No, we started off at first level, but it's really easy even at the beginning."
"Oh, okay, did you roll your attributes or do point-buy?"
This leads to one of a few answers:
"Well, we rolled 4d6 and drop the lowest, but we re-rolled anything lower than a 16." (out of 18)
or
"We did point buy, the DM set it at 50 points." (in Pathfinder, 15-20 is considered standard and 25 is considered heroic)

Look, playing in a high powered campaign is a lot of fun, absolutely. But don't engage God Mode and then bitch that the game isn't challenging or that it's "broken". YES, BECAUSE YOU FUCKING BROKE IT.

grub

grub

I'm just picking up 5e after not playing for 16years. I am not sure whether to play as a Rogue or Ranger, or Halfling or elf.

The rogue is almost too typical but the Ranger seems to be a master of nothing.
I'm a big fan of duel wielding and sneaking, so both are good that way. It just seems like the Ranger is a weak fighter and weak spell caster.

And the ranger paths seem weak. The hunter only works in certain situations, and the Beast Master companion seems worse.

Maybe the rogue would be better as a wood elf instead of halfling, change things up a bit.

Dei

Dei

OMG my ref crew has started talks about starting a D&D campaign. I am so excited! I knew these were my people.

Frank

Frank

Well, the DMG has been out for a bit, what do you folks think?

I like it.

grub

grub

I haven't read. I have only glanced at the PHB. I've heard it is more streamlined than 3.5, but less WOW-esque than 4e.

grub

grub

I just rolled a High-Elf Rogue with a criminal background. Kind of weird but most of our PC's are.

Dei

Dei

Is it just me, or are War Clerics complete beasts in 5e?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Is it just me, or are War Clerics complete beasts in 5e?
Everyone got a bit of an upgrade from 3.5 to 5, except magic users who got nerfed by making it impossible for them to simply buff their way out of any problem. Now that the most powerful spells require concentration, you basically have to stick to a few key spells. Then again, some spells are kind of nasty when used correctly and lower level spells got buffed by allowing most of the good ones to be cast at a higher level for greater effect, so it's a fair trade off.

Dei

Dei

I was laughing my ass off at inflict wounds being a 3d10 lvl 1 spell. If you are a War Cleric, that is basically ridiculous, since you are probably going to be in touch range.

Also I liked 4e in a lot of ways, so you're skipping from 3.5 - 5 offends me. ;)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I was laughing my ass off at inflict wounds being a 3d10 lvl 1 spell. If you are a War Cleric, that is basically ridiculous, since you are probably going to be in touch range.

Also I liked 4e in a lot of ways, so you're skipping from 3.5 - 5 offends me. ;)
3d10 vs 1 target, at most twice a day at lvl 1... which also means you aren't packing a Cure Wounds, which means your friends will hate you. It's great at later levels, but starting out it's not hot shit, especially when your cantrips will more than suffice. Compare that to Sleep, which can completely nullify an entire encounter at Lvl 1.

Dei

Dei

Pfffft, you're assuming the cleric is the healer of the party, which is not always the case. You'd be a backup healer sure. But you are packing a cleric and a druid now, the druid can pack as much healing power as a cleric. Actually one of my pet peeves about 5e is that they are trying too hard to "balance" healers and it reeks of WoW. The other would be that I feel they did a terrible job with scaling low level mobs, but that's what being the DM is for.

grub

grub

Our healing duties are split between our cleric and our bard. So far so good.
They concentrate on healing our Barbarian mostly, as the rogue (me) tries to avoid getting hit.
We have been lucky at finding health pots and have yet to even use our hit dice.

Our Cleric has found a lot of use of Sacred Flame, but we are only at 3rd level right now.[DOUBLEPOST=1423533799,1423533471][/DOUBLEPOST]I've been thinking about the Resurrection spell, and was thinking that you could have a shop where the Cleric has the diamonds in a vault and charges for the materials and labour so to speak.
Maybe he has a deal with a mine and can get them at a discount?
Just a thought.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've been thinking about the Resurrection spell, and was thinking that you could have a shop where the Cleric has the diamonds in a vault and charges for the materials and labour so to speak.
Maybe he has a deal with a mine and can get them at a discount?
Just a thought.
I always believed that major temples simply get them as tithes or as repayment for doing other spell work that doesn't need them as reagents. You need to remember that Clerics are fully ordained members of their churches... they don't get to do their magic for profit except as a means to keep the temple going or to fund other charitable works. They are servants of gods, not wizards looking to finance spell research or get rich.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Welp... time for us to get another game going...

EDIT: Holy fuck, it's got other systems too. Deadlands Reloaded, Call of Cthulhu, Mutants and Masterminds... we'd have a good pick of systems and we can dump in our own maps if we want to. This is a game changer.

Frank

Frank

Shit ain't cheap to get all the 5th edition stuff though, hoooo-eeee.

figmentPez

figmentPez

In before "$1,275.81 worth of DLC"

Frank

Frank

It's like 200 bucks for just the 5th Edition stuff. Pretty nuts.

Jay

Jay

... FUCK THAT.[DOUBLEPOST=1429756653,1429756557][/DOUBLEPOST]
GAME + DLC$ 1,407.62​
Add all DLC to Cart

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Fantasy Grounds Ultimate license doesn't look too bad, price wise...a little over a hundred bucks (which would've been like 4 rulebooks back when I played) gets you the ability to host games to unlicensed players, and has D&D 3.5, 4, 5 and pathfinder rulesets/dlc included.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fantasy Grounds Ultimate license doesn't look too bad, price wise...a little over a hundred bucks (which would've been like 4 rulebooks back when I played) gets you the ability to host games to unlicensed players, and has D&D 3.5, 4, 5 and pathfinder rulesets/dlc included.
If we could get some serious interest, it wouldn't be that bad if that was split 4 or more ways.

Jay

Jay

Can't be complicated neither.

uQqUTRe.gif

Preferably free.

:)

Dei

Dei

I'd rather use something like Gametable that just gives me grids and dice, than spend a shit load on something that needs to have rule packs added on. Because really, I don't need to have all of that stuff pre-built for me, I can just make my own maps and throw them in.

Jay

Jay

Gametable is solid but requires a lot of work.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, now that you mention it about how D&D and WOW have the similarity in DLC (except D&D called them "manuals" and "adventure packs")...

Jay

Jay

Sorry I'm high AF right now and I find North Ranger's responses awesome. :)

Does anyone play 5th edition? None of that Pathfinder stuff scrubs like Frank play.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I do.

Frank

Frank

Hey, I moved to 5th too.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

5th has it's issues, but in sure "pick up and play"-ness, it's much better than 3, 3.5, or 4. It even has a bit of depth to it; there are definitely reasons to multi-class (Warlock levels for Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, Wizard levels to get most out of Storm Cleric, etc) and feats are both more powerful and less absolutely necessary.

My only real complaint is there are some CLEAR winners and losers for archetypes.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just finished reading Art and Arcana and I'm surprised at how my thoughts on 5e match the book

Frank

Frank

Someone needs to do a 5th edition compatible sci-fi book. A good one.

That would be my jam.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I'm playing in a 5e game, but I can't see myself ever DMing. 2e, DCCRPG, and non-D20-based systems all feel much better to run for me (and probably to be a player in, but I'm fairly easy to please as a player mechanics-wise).

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Someone needs to do a 5th edition compatible sci-fi book. A good one.

That would be my jam.
A Spell-Jam as it were?

Frank

Frank

I'm still a stickler for printed HQ material.

Which is why I backed Esper Genesis.

https://espergenesis.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/11/dungeons-and-dragons-joe-manganiello-arkhan-the-cruel/

Joe Manganiello's Dungeons & Dragons character will become an official part of the game's canon.

Frank

Frank

I mean, if Acquisitions Inc is Forgotten Realms canon...

PatrThom

PatrThom

This seemed to be the right place for this:

downtotheshore.png

source

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Jeff Goldblum is the new Bill Murray.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Frank

Frank

Boy, the new TSR sure seems cool.

1624854659041.png

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah... apparently Gygax Jr. is a self entitled asshole. He won't be getting support from me, but it's hard enough to find an RPG developer that isn't:

- completely cool with everybody but produces some widget game system I have no interest in playing
OR
- a complete monster white supremacist that thinks it's totally okay for their game's backstory to imply that the anti-gay purges in Chechnya are a vampire plot.

I -still- have trouble getting people to try the new WoD stuff from Paradox because they think the old guard is still in creative control and not Paradox.

Dave

Dave

God, people who write RPGs are shit.

*stares in Ironwood*

;)

Dave

Dave

I just read more about the Gygax Jr thing. He is as massive an asshole as his dad.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just read more about the Gygax Jr thing. He is as massive an asshole as his dad.
Man, all these people who should be positive geek role models really need to get their shit together.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk