[Question] Let's play tourist! Going to DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a couple days to play around in the DC area. Maybe three if I decide to stay over a third night and catch Los Straitjackets in Annapolis on Wednesday night.

First on the agenda is the Udvar-Hazy Center over at Dulles. Haven't been yet, so I'm really looking forward to that. My sister has recommended the Spy Museum, and if I don't go, she'll probably hit me. :)

Beyond the usual Smithsonian and monuments, and overall slumming around the Mall all day, what hidden gems can you lot pick out for me? Interesting places for lunch or dinner? Where can I get a good bowl of gyudon or a nice shawarma?

Base of operations will be just E of Alexandria. almost 6 o'clock on the dot if you're looking at the beltway on the map. Five miles to the closest Metro station.

Wow me. :)

If you visit the Museum of Technology, look for the Virgo II lander and steal its communications dish.

If you visit the Museum of Technology, look for the Virgo II lander and steal its communications dish.
I think Shegokigo called dibs. Couldn't get more detail through the maniacal laughter. I think we're all in trouble

(and honestly, tonight's kerfluffle had nothing to do with the above. The idea just popped into my head and seemed appropriate.)

Get Doc to take you skydiving.
I'm still waiting for his answer to whether or not he's gonna try Bridge Day off the New River Gorge Bridge. :D

(Here I thought you were gonna suggest the Navy Memorial... :))

(ETA: I just noticed they're now celebrating the Year of the Chief. I wholeheartedly approve. I never made it there myself, but no one puts the fear of God in a man quite like the Navy Chief Petty Officer.)

(ETA: I just noticed they're now celebrating the Year of the Chief. I wholeheartedly approve. I never made it there myself, but no one puts the fear of God in a man quite like the Navy Chief Petty Officer.)
My husband just sent his package to the board today. Really hoping he makes is this year.

ElJuski

Staff member
No idea about places in Alexandria, and as far as hidden gems, that's a bit difficult considering your scope. I think the Videogame exhibit is still going on in the Portrait Gallery / American Art Museum at Gallery Place. And right near there is the Surratt Boarding House, "the nest where the conspiracy hatched". Down the block from there is Ford's Theater, which is always a good stop.

If you're going to be down around the mall for most of the time, you're not really going to get all too much GREAT "local" stuff. Friday's at My Brother's Place, this bar off 2nd and Constitution, does a fantastic cheap beer happy hour--I forget how low but its ridiculously cheap.

If you end up driving further up into town, there's a great Ethiopian restaurant on U st. called Duken; but if you're up on U St. anyway, go to Ben's Chili Bowl. That's about as famous of a local place as you can get. Watch out for the lines.

I was hoping to try a Cheeburger Cheeburger, but all the ones in Maryland are north of the beltway, while the hotel is in Oxon Hill. guess I'll have to wait until I'm on my way out of town at the end of the trip.

I'm not restricting myself to the Mall, not when I can hop on the Metro and head somewhere else. Especially if the food's good. :)

ElJuski

Staff member
Then definitely take the trip up to Ben's Chili Bowl. It's not fantastic, but it's a place to go see in DC, for sure.

After further review, the show in Annapolis on Wednesday night is out. The Metro won't be an option that late, and the thought of traversing the beltway at 5 or 6 in the evening to make the 35 mile drive to get there is too much to bear.

But... I'll take that third night in town anyway to do other stuff. Park at Branch Ave station for the day and have my fun. Plus, it's on the same line as Nationals Park. The Mets are in town Tuesday and Wednesday. Play Ball! :)

Then definitely take the trip up to Ben's Chili Bowl. It's not fantastic, but it's a place to go see in DC, for sure.
I'm awake far too early this morning, so I have to wait for the Metro to open, but nothing says I can't get a chili half-smoke for breakfast. :)

ElJuski

Staff member
I'm awake far too early this morning, so I have to wait for the Metro to open, but nothing says I can't get a chili half-smoke for breakfast. :)
as long as they're open! Don't know when Ben's starts up, but definitely try to avoid the lunch-time rush. The line will be out the door and around the block.

I can't do bridge day this year since I will be in San Antonio in October. But fear not, I will be posting about the 2,000ft elevator antennas out there :)

Got home yesterday morning. GPS wasn't exactly clear on the first couple turns, so I was stuck in a couple bad neighborhoods before I got straightened out. Never seen the George Washington Parkway before. It was gorgeous. And smooth sailing on the outbound during inbound rush. :D

The incident Tuesday night at my train stop to get to my car after the game... someone had been shot and killed at the station at about 9:30 that night. Trains weren't stopping due to police activity, so I had to get off a stop prior and take a shuttle... from Congress Heights. So it goes. Got the bus, got my car, and got back to the hotel...

Anyway.. some highlights:

The Lone Sailor...

Harry Truman's aloha shirt...

Nixon's misguided attempt at adding pomp and ceremony to the WH guards in 1970...

Union Station main hall...

SNAAAAAAAAKE!!!

East side...

West side...

Walking the Mat...

WW II Memorial...

Status
Not open for further replies.