Leisure Suit Larry

I've never, ever, ever played any of the Leisure Suit Larry games... but recently one of them was mentioned by someone and I remembered how a friend of my dad's had one of them when I was a kid and when we were over at his house one night he said I could play it while they were doing their boring adult stuff, was about to put it in and then said "oh, no, wait, it's not for kids. Play minesweeper or something instead!"

:eek:rly:

But I'm of age now, so I was wondering how worth it would it be to track one or two of them down for these boring days?

I read the wiki for the latest one, Box-Office bust.. and MAN was the reception awful... 19% on metacritic? Eeeesh. So I'm guessing I should avoid that one. But which one is worth it?

I had no idea what you were talking about so I Wikipedia'd it. I am 90% certain that there are better adventure games you have not yet played. I mean, that just seems... weird. Possibly comical, maybe, but weird.

Here I'd list adventure games that you would like instead, but the last adventure game I played was one of the Monkey Islands when it was released, so...

The originals up to 3 were pretty good. Hell, they were awsome at the time they were released. They are extremely lowbrow humor, but had some good puzzles. Stay away from any title published after 1990, though.

Honestly, there are much better adventure games out there, as Gabledina said. I'd suggest the lucasarts adventure games.

A

Aisaku

I still know the theme song by heart ^^ So catchy... Played it on the first computer I ever got, like hmm almost 2 decades ago.

The last 2 games are by no measure true Leisure Suit Larry games, they're just a collection of raunchy minigames, where LSL was a true graphic adventure game. The series creator, Al Lowe, had no part on them. Which is understandable as they basically throw away what made the series worthwhile.

What's good about the games is seeing the awkward self proclaimed ladies man go about dealing with all sorts of misfits and obstacles towards the girl at hand. For all we know he might have been Wollowitz's absent dad.

What is not so good is that most of the puzzles aren't as intuitive, not at the time and even less nowadays. Still as old as they are, there is no shortage of faqs available.

My recommendation is try the first one, get a feeling of the whole games and then decide if you want to give the rest a try. The first 2 afaik, you have to type commands like 'get ring' or 'read wall' instead of just clicking on stuff. But there's a VGA remake of the first, which lets you click on stuff.

And yeah, like Bowielee says, this is assuming you've already finished most lucasarts games like Maniac Mansion Deluxe, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones...

Play the first ones, the ones that are drawn-style (I'm sure you can find a torrent easily), but skip on the latter.

This reminds me it's been ages since I've played day of the tentacle... Sadly my CD is Mac only and won't load on newer machines, sigh -_-

I used to love them and think they're great right up until the last one that creator Al Lowe was a part of (Ship Up or Set Sail or something like that; it was the 7th in the series, I think). Everything after that, which is about Larry's nephew, suck.

Honestly man, download a copy of Dosbox and do a search for a good Abandonware site and get a whole bunch of the classic ones.

While you're at it, check out the EcoQuest games, too. While they're edutainment type games, they're still really good adventures games with some great puzzles.

figmentPez

Staff member
Denbrought said:
This reminds me it's been ages since I've played day of the tentacle... Sadly my CD is Mac only and won't load on newer machines, sigh -_-
I'm curious, can you read the files on the disc at all? If you can, you might be able to get the game to work with ScummVM. (Hmm, there even seems to be a Windows program for reading old HFS formatted discs)

J

JCM

Calleja said:
I've never, ever, ever played any of the Leisure Suit Larry games... but recently one of them was mentioned by someone and I remembered how a friend of my dad's had one of them when I was a kid and when we were over at his house one night he said I could play it while they were doing their boring adult stuff, was about to put it in and then said "oh, no, wait, it's not for kids. Play minesweeper or something instead!"

:eek:rly:

But I'm of age now, so I was wondering how worth it would it be to track one or two of them down for these boring days?

I read the wiki for the latest one, Box-Office bust.. and MAN was the reception awful... 19% on metacritic? Eeeesh. So I'm guessing I should avoid that one. But which one is worth it?
Like the Police quest/Space quest/Kings Quest games, just buy the original three. Oh wait, KQ3 sucked, but IV was great.... and so were the shitty PoliceQuest3 and the gritty and great PQ4.... and Spaceuqest 3 and 4

Damn, remembering well, all 3rd Quest games sucked, and the 4th was great, the 4th Leisure Suit Larry being so great it was never made (but always mentioned in the latter games after the 5th).

Anyway, my suggestion, is wait till next year, Vivendi is remaking all the original Quest games for Win Xp.

figmentPez said:
Denbrought said:
I'm curious, can you read the files on the disc at all? If you can, you might be able to get the game to work with ScummVM. (Hmm, there even seems to be a Windows program for reading old HFS formatted discs)
Huh. I'mma scavenge the disk from the old Mac binders later and try googling around, will say if I get it to work or sumthin.

A

Aisaku

JCM said:
Anyway, my suggestion, is wait till next year, Vivendi is remaking all the original Quest games for Win Xp.
That can't be right... Weren't those already released on windows compatible packages? And Vivendi had zero interest on the Sierra properties? If anything this could be a reaction to Lucasart's moves on Monkey Island... But if there should be a remake I´d hope the ds is in their plans too.

Denbrought said:
Huh. I'mma scavenge the disk from the old Mac binders later and try googling around, will say if I get it to work or sumthin.
I got machines that'll still play 'em, Den...but I haven't lived in Spain since 1989. Sorry.

--Patrick

The original was awesome. I could probably remember how to play straight through it. Some awesome gags in there.

Don't forget to zip up your fly. :rofl:

J

JCM

Aisaku said:
JCM said:
That can't be right... Weren't those already released on windows compatible packages? And Vivendi had zero interest on the Sierra properties? If anything this could be a reaction to Lucasart's moves on Monkey Island... But if there should be a remake I´d hope the ds is in their plans too.
Sorry, it already rereleased them in 2006. :eek:

necro......!!!

because it's relevant to my interest and this thread.

Plus, it makes me entertained that I can necro it from forever ago and open it up for further replies.

.... and it has been awhile since I have used said powers.