Kurtz displays his cutting-edge humor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one for jumping on the PvP-hate, but wow.

Ignoring the fact that it's an old meme to begin with, that wasn't even a good joke for it.

Y

YAOMTC

And there was clearly a quarter of the pie gone in one spot.

Here is the same joke made in 2007, that's two years ago, by two unrelated web comic authors.

Well, I guess the subject of the latter punchline wasn't very artistically accurate either.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Hey now. "Calculating pi" was the real punchline; the CSI thing was a second punchline.

Y

YAOMTC

Woah, a... "Media Madness" forum. First we have just the general forum, then we get a comics forum, then that's taken away, now this. I can't keep track of all these changes! :Leyla:

Woah, a... "Media Madness" forum. First we have just the general forum, then we get a comics forum, then that's taken away, now this. I can't keep track of all these changes! :Leyla:
Well the subtitle on Media Madness does include "trash bad ones".....

.... up to the reader to decide if this strip fits.

I think it does.

Kurtz banks on the fact that his readers are mostly now just internet morons who don't know much other than what they have bookmarked. To them, he's got some fresh comedy with some sharp wit.

Kurtz appeals to the American Idol/Survivor/Who Wants to be a Millionaire, crowd.

Dave

Staff member
And his Assetbar stuff is back on his front page with the last post being:

A BIG THANK YOU.---------------------------I just ... #48 / 06/08/2009 / liked by TheCoffinRobber and 8 more
This means that they had to go in and fix it....and not update. :facepalm:

I don't know if that strip is funny or not, but I will tell you this, I do not understand how people can watch police procedural shows like CSI and Law and Order. Every now and then sure... but overall... blech.

I don't know if that strip is funny or not, but I will tell you this, I do not understand how people can watch police procedural shows like CSI and Law and Order. Every now and then sure... but overall... blech.
They are just murder mystery shows. No different than Columbo or Nancy Drew.

They put part of the denouement in the context of a court room, though, so you can see a different form of conflict/drama than on other murder/mystery shows.

-Adam

Do NOT compare Columbo or Murder She Wrote to CSI. EVER. EVER!

Columbo and MSW had characters with charisma and real interesting plots (granted, they weren't based on reality, but then again alot of the recent CSIs aren't either).

Columbo and MSW had characters with charisma and real interesting plots (granted, they weren't based on reality, but then again alot of the recent CSIs aren't either).
I was thinking more along the lines of Law and Order than CSI, actually.

The nice thing about Columbo and Murder She Wrote is that they were funny. CSI, Law and Order, etc are rarely funny.

In fact, now that I think about it, isn't Castle just a re-imagined version of Murder She Wrote?

Huh. I'm going to have to think about that.

At least Castle is funny.

-Adam

K

Kitty Sinatra

yeah, Castle is yet another detective. However, I think it would be nice if it was more like Magnum PI, where it's not always a murder, or even a case. And there's actually some action.

yeah, Castle is yet another detective. However, I think it would be nice if it was more like Magnum PI, where it's not always a murder, or even a case. And there's actually some action.
Magnum PI seemed to be a cross between mystery/investigation and A-Team/James Bond action. Perhaps it was born of the desire to bring another 'cops and robbers' show to TV, but without all the messy "police officers must act within the law" so you get a little edgy and can satisfy the viewer's desire for the perpetrator to get what was really coming to them.

Plus it was a typical comedy duo - the straight man (butler) and the funny man for a portion of the show. Not unlike Castle, again.

-Adam

Dave

Staff member
Castle does nothing new or cutting edge. But they have good characters and they feel like real people. The episode last night with the wager was great,
especially when Beckett got involved.

Nope, don't think that joke's been done before.
One of the reasons this strip didn't do anything for me is that he's holding the glasses awkwardly for the first two panels. It's funnier if they suddenly appear in his hands as he starts talking, but are nowhere to be seen until after he starts talking.

Another part of the strip that I suspect is supposed to be funny is the fact that Brent isn't wearing sunglasses for a portion of the strip. This occurs very infrequently in PvP.

Still, even if it wasn't an old meme, and a bad joke inside an old meme, the execution is poor. It's almost as bad, but not quite, as the lolbat strips, which are so unfunny that they suck the funny out of any comics near them.

Lolbat == black hole of humor.

-Adam

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Castle does nothing new or cutting edge. But they have good characters and they feel like real people.
I think it's kind of like film animation. For a long time animation was about neat things they could do with it. Then it became about characters and real stories (disney).

Then 3D animation got in the act, and it was about what you could do with it.

Pixar, among others, put the story and characterization back into it.

CGI followed the same path.

3D movies are skirting around the issue a little bit - they come from films that could stand alone as 2D, so they are working out ok so far, but I worry they might get too gimmicky before they settle down as the standard presentation format for all movies.

-Adam

If Murder She Wrote taught me ANYTHING, it's to never, ever, EVER invite Jessica Fletcher to a party.

They are just murder mystery shows. No different than Columbo or Nancy Drew.

They put part of the denouement in the context of a court room, though, so you can see a different form of conflict/drama than on other murder/mystery shows.

-Adam[/QUOTE]

Yes, my issue is that they are all bland and predictable. They have to have some great catch to make the interesting, or a great character. The ONLY reason I don't just laugh Castle off into oblivion is due to Fillion and even he isn't going to be enough to save that show from the chopping block.

In the end though, the reality is that if you have ever watched The Wire you can't go back to regular police procedurals. They just don't hold up.

If Murder She Wrote taught me ANYTHING, it's to never, ever, EVER invite Jessica Fletcher to a party.[/QUOTE]

This. :D

Seriously, you'd think that after the first two dozen times, police would just arrest everyone in her phone book as a suspect.

Someone beat me to it. I hate lolbat. I just want to end existence itself every time he pops up in a strip.

As for all these crime/police shows ... I don't really get it myself. There have been a few flavors of CSI, Law and Order, and some other similar ones (Criminal Minds I've seen a bit of, and there's one my mother watches about a deaf girl who works with the FBI or something). I just find it funny sometimes that there are probably more actors portraying peace officers than there actually are in America at this point.

But I like Castle. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and I genuinely enjoy it whenever it's on.

See, the sad thing for me is that I don't know if Kurtz is really relying on his fans being internet morons, or if he really thinks he's been churning out quality content in the past 19 months. Has he really done anything even half way decent plot-arc wise since the wedding plot? No. In fact, he changed the entire focus of the strip away from being a comic about the cast of PvP to being about pop-culture as depicted by the cast of PvP (and most of that pop-culture is sadly outdated).

I'm sure most people saw it coming long before I did, which is less to say that I'm slow on the uptake than it is to say that before being out of work I had far more things to think about than how much of a hack Kurtz is; but what really gets me is that he had the opportunity to tie up a loose end from way back in the beginning days of the strip (the Francis virginity prediction) during the wedding plot on the exact date that it was predicted for and chose not to for fear that it would make the moment seem forced (and also because he had just recently decided against doing comics on Saturdays).

Having something occur on the exact date it was predicted for when it would have tied in perfectly with what was going on at the time isn't forcing a plot, it's what good authors do. Hell! One of my favorite things when reading a series of books is when I come across some element of the story in a third or fourth book that ties in perfectly with something that was set up in the first book. Especially if it was so well done that I remember perfectly when it was set up but it makes me want to re-read the series again just so I can watch the set up all over again.

I do find it vastly amusing that Kurtz begged his fan base for 10 more years (after pissing everyone off with the now infamous "Fuck you guys, it's funny" bit), but couldn't keep providing quality content for even two years, let alone 10.

*Yeah, there have been plot lines about the cast instead of presented by the cast, like the Panda one, but that too was a pop-culture reference, and he had to force the ending on that, so it came to an extremely anti-climactic ending. It's like he's trying to suck more than an electrolux.

I'm sure most people saw it coming long before I did, which is less to say that I'm slow on the uptake than it is to say that before being out of work I had far more things to think about than how much of a hack Kurtz is; but what really gets me is that he had the opportunity to tie up a loose end from way back in the beginning days of the strip (the Francis virginity prediction) during the wedding plot on the exact date that it was predicted for and chose not to for fear that it would make the moment seem forced (and also because he had just recently decided against doing comics on Saturdays).

Having something occur on the exact date it was predicted for when it would have tied in perfectly with what was going on at the time isn't forcing a plot, it's what good authors do. Hell! One of my favorite things when reading a series of books is when I come across some element of the story in a third or fourth book that ties in perfectly with something that was set up in the first book. Especially if it was so well done that I remember perfectly when it was set up but it makes me want to re-read the series again just so I can watch the set up all over again.
It's one of the most amazing things about OotS. :uhhuh:

T

ThatNickGuy

If Kurtz posted here, he'd probably join the thread at this point and lambaste Buckley for ripping him off his cutting-edge joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.