[Brazelton] Joe Paterno has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn I had hoped he would live long enough to rebuild at least part of his reputation.

I mean he earned every ounce of scorn he got over the scandel but he was a good guy who could have earned his redemption.

I still don't really think any amount of money donated or football victories make up for failing at the most basic level in protecting and helping young people. I'm frankly sickened by all the post-mortem deification. I just hope someone can learn from his failings the lesson from that famous quote... I'm paraphrasing/guessing at it, but it says "Evil can only flourish when good men do nothing." Part of me is disappointed this is the easy way out and wishes the JoePa brand could get dragged through the mud through a civil suit or his testifying or something like that.

That's funny, I'm equally sickened by the maniacal glee some people get from pissing on an old man's grave not even 24 hours after his death. I didn't give a shit about Paterno before the scandal and I think he clearly made a horrible choice with the way he handled Sandusky, but have some respect.

ElJuski

Staff member
I'll say this much about the whole thing of respect, etc:

1. I find all of this discourse after he died to be very interesting. I do have contempt for his actions, but not necessarily for his legacy. It will be very interesting how all this goes on.
2. If it's funny enough, it's worth the joke. And my god, there are some great jokes to be had.
Added at: 01:35
He was a bad person before he died, dying doesn't sew all those 10 year old buttholes back together
Truth.

This feels like Deja Vu of when Michael Jackson died.
Michael Jackson was never convicted nor ever confessed to molesting children. Joe Paterno admitted that he knew about this and never went to the police nor took any action to keep Sandusky away from children or off the Penn State campus.

I'm not certain he was a bad person so much as he made a terrible choice. And you taking delight in his death doesn't help the victims either.
Hey, Charlie doesn't always side with victims. Remember when Osama Bin Laden died?

I have no idea who this person even is.
I got your back, doom. I never heard of him before this thread either.

There's that, oh and you'd also have to be completely oblivious to every major news outlet for the past 4 months... otherwise, yeah football cult only!
My news has been "Congress BS, Congress BS, presidential BS, federal BS, tax BS, Congress BS". It's a lovely area I live in. In NY, I used to hear about bad news coming from all over the country, but now much of it seems to come locally.

ElJuski

Staff member
I gotta say...I find it weird as many people as there are no NOTHING about this whole thing. I mean, I didn't know who JoePa or didn't give a shit about PennState before all this business hit, but I figured it was impossible to not hear something about it.

Meh. It could simply be that people heard, but didn't listen. I know that when I'm listening to the news, I tune out everything after the word Kardashian, because I simply couldn't give less of a shit about a topic than I do about that one (ok, I'm sure I could, but you get the point, right?).

doomdragon6

Staff member
I don't watch news at all, and the only news I ever hear about is stuff people post on Facebook, Twitter, or I see on my e-mails "today" articles, or things that people post here. I do hear a decent bit of US College Football news since I live in U of Alabama's city, and I have never once heard anything about this man.

I did indeed google the man, and I didn't recognize any bit of it.

Well, if you don't watch news at all (and seriously, as bad as news coverage is these days, why would you?), and you get most of your news from Facebook and don't have any friends who are PSU fans; then it makes perfect sense you haven't heard of this.

Personally, I'd been a PSU fan and a JoePa as coach fan for years, have seen tons of coverage about this situation and I gotta say... it's sad that he's dead. It's a lot more sad that he didn't do more to investigate or stop what was going on. It pretty much sounds like this was the ONE time when he went with the bare minimum "report to chain of command" effort, and I really wish he'd done more - maybe then we wouldn't be having this conversation, since even though he was 85 and had cancer, the cancer was treatable and he seemed to be in pretty damn good shape before he was fired. I really do think that having his football team "taken away" from him is probably what killed him off, more than anything. Kind of like someone who's lead a great life and is still really healthy until their wife and/or husband of 50 or 60 years dies and then they just decline rapidly and waste away.

ElJuski

Staff member
Well, if you don't watch news at all (and seriously, as bad as news coverage is these days, why would you?), and you get most of your news from Facebook and don't have any friends who are PSU fans; then it makes perfect sense you haven't heard of this.
God that's a stupid argument, and I'm only assuming that all you hear about "bad media" comes from people bitching about it on the internet.

Fucking seriously, people, know what's happening in your goddamn world.

Why? Why the hell should Doom care about this if it doesn't affect him at all?

And no, I don't say that news coverage sucks these days because of what I hear on the internet. I say that news coverage sucks these days because my local channels suck these days.

ElJuski

Staff member
Because--and this may be shocking to you--things that don't happen right in front of your doorstep may still have application to you, your neighbors, your community, and humanity, as a whole.
Added at: 00:28
That is, I mean, beyond Resident Evil 6. You guys see that trailer yet!?!?!?! oh man

Because--and this may be shocking to you--things that don't happen right in front of your doorstep may still have application to you, your neighbors, your community, and humanity, as a whole.
Really? You mean, we live in a whole big world and things far away from me might be important?! Well, that changes everything...

What it doesn't change is a) why Doom specifically should care that this happened, and b) what being informed about the goings on in the world has to do with my post on why it makes sense that Doom wouldn't have heard anything about Paterno/Sandusky/PSU if he doesn't watch the news and gets the vast majority of his news coverage from Facebook. I wasn't arguing that it was intelligent, or that it made sense to do that, just that if one does do that it makes sense that they'd have a limited purview. Geez.

Personally, I'm a news junkie, have been since I was 11 (that'd be 20 years ago). Even though I think my local news channels suck, I still watch about 6 hours of their coverage per week, plus the 8 to 10 hours of news coverage I consume in my car on my way to and from work, plus various news website reading I do while at work and at home. I probably spend more time consuming news footage than I do any other activity aside from working, gaming, and sleeping. In fact, I frequently read and/or listen to news while gaming, and since I have a CNN app for my phone and my phone is also my alarm clock, it's pretty normal for me to wake up, turn off the alarm clock, and check for breaking news headlines before even getting out of bed. Hell, 90% of my twitter feed is from news organizations and reporters. I pay attention to local news, national news, world news, sports news, business news, legal news, gaming news, entertainment news (still don't consider which celeb is doing what and/or whom to be news though), and misc. news. So if you're going to preach about paying attention to what's going on outside of just your local area, turn around - this is the choir section, you want the pews.

ElJuski

Staff member
As for the answer to why it SHOULD matter to Doom--well, for the same fucking reason it matters to the rest of us. And I'm just saying that it's absolutely fucking stupid for him to be so up his ass, and I find it really mind-boggling that he has no idea what's going on, considering that shit has been a media mainstay for the past how many months? You couldn't turn around without some more news of it going down, unless, quite clearly, he's sitting under a rock with his fingers in his ears.

Also, that's great that you like the news. That's fantastic, even. Real grand, swell.

Status
Not open for further replies.