It's been a long time since I posted a mead thread

That's because it's been a long time since I made a mead. I haven't bottled one since I bottled my bochet back in 2014.

There's a couple of reasons for that: The adult children have moved out, so we're drinking less than half as much as we used to. And, I've made like 15 gallons of Skeeter Pee, which my wife absolutely loves. If you don't want to hit the link, it's fermented lemonade. Not "hard lemonade" (which is malt liquor with lemon flavoring), but lemon juice, sugar, and yeast. It's super tasty and it'll sneak up on ya.

But I have had a mead working since April of last year--a chocolate cherry mead. I've never done chocolate in a mead before, but everything I've read says that it takes a year for the bitterness to age out. So it's been sitting in a secondary fermenter since 8/14/2015. Today, I bottled.

From my logs:

Recipe: 15lbs costco honey, 1 lb cocoa nibs, Lavlin EC-1118, 'purified' water. Prepare as standard mead: Honey, water, cocoa nibs. No boiling. Made starter with stir plate and lavlin.

• 04-11-2015: started yeast starter
  • 04-12-2015: Crushed cocoa nibs slightly with rolling pin. Combined ingredients in fermentation bucket. Pitched yeast
  • 08-14-2015: First racking to glass carboy. Stabilized with campden & sorbate. Added Super Kleer 2 days later.
  • 02-02-2016: 2nd racking to Better Bottle + 64oz organic black cherry juice + 2c corn sugar. The juice i got had no preservatives and no added sugar, but I wouldn't have cared if it did, since I'd already stabilized.
  • 08-13-2016: Bottled. Produced 26x750ml bottles.

Tasting notes: drinking warm on bottling day. The mead is a bit tangy, but the cherry character is very subtle. This is a stark contrast to when I tried making mead with cherry extract and it tasted like cough syrup. I'm not sure I can taste the cocoa, though it did color the mead considerably. There is no bitterness evident. I'll try tasting again later once a bottle has chilled. I do like it quite a bit even at this first tasting.

Last edited:
Did the nibs come pre-roasted?

--Patrick
Amazon product

Amazon says "raw", but they are gently roasted.

Temperature is the most important advantage of all our cacao products: all the processing is done below 45º Celcius (approximately 110º Fahrenheit), which allows us to maintain the natural flavor and -even more important- the nutritional properties of the fresh cacao grains.
I'll bet if I'd have roasted them a bit more, more flavor would've come out.

I'll bet that temperature treatment was done more to dry them and kill any passengers rather than actually roast them. In order to get to be nibs, they have to already be fermented and roasted somewhat. I wonder if the high fat content has any effect on the mead.
Also thanks for giving me a source of nibs other than Scharffen Berger.

--Patrick

My wife and I are drinking a chilled bottle now. It's much better chilled. I'm estimating the ABV to be 18%, though all of the additional solids make it difficult to know for sure. Even if I had taken gravity readings. Which I didn't. Ain't nobody got time for that when there's drinking to be done.

But 15lbs of honey and the EC-1118 yeast should put it in the 18-19% range. The EC-1118 has the tolerance to push it up there, and it was bone dry before I added the cherry juice and sugar.

Why'd you wait so long between racks?

The mantra of my mentor is "Rack early, rack often, when in doubt - RACK!"
I'm of the opposite mindset. Each racking has the potential to add oxidation and outside organisms to the brew. So if I don't have to touch it, I don't.

With most meads, I rack exactly once, after about 2 months. Then I bulk age 2 months and bottle. Unless there are significant lees on the bottom, you won't get any off flavors in the brew with long racking wait times. Yeast doesn't really start undergoing autolysis for about 6 months anyway.

In this case, I did the first racking after 4 months, because I've read it takes the bitter ingredients in chocolate long time to fall out of the brew, and I wanted to be sure that fermentation was well completed because I was going to stabilize with sorbate+Campden--which pretty much kills all the yeast. After stabilization, I wanted most of the solids to fall out before adding additional ingredients, thus the 4 month wait for the 2nd racking.

After that, I let it bulk age for a year, and only got a paper thin (1/16" or less) layer of lees in that entire time.

Interesting! I'm gonna sit down with my friend and compare notes... I've not starting mazing or brewing yet, and I want to get the theory down, at least, before I start investing in equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Interesting! I'm gonna sit down with my friend and compare notes... I've not starting mazing or brewing yet, and I want to get the theory down, at least, before I start investing in equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Now that I'm more awake, there's another reason to wait a couple of months before racking. When your yeast drops to the bottom (flocculation), it's not necessarily dead or dormant. A significant portion is still slowly working on your brew. Racking really soon removes a large and active part of fermentation, and can make things take longer to finish off.

Man, you could make that Skeeter Pee out of Lime juice instead of lemon without much alteration couldn't you? I'm an absolute sucker for limeade. That sounds incredible.