[Question] Is what I have some sort of weird chronic depression?

I dont feel sad or upset, I just feel everything i do is shit. logically I know it is not, but I feel like Stan Marsh in the episode of South Park "You're Getting Old". Everything I experience just feels "shitty". I am terrible at describing. Things I use to love I get bored of in minutes, I really love anime but it all just seems the same. all the entertainment i seek seems like the same formulaic material regurgitated repeatedly. I spend the few hours a day I am not working or resting basically looking for things to give me joy. once in awhile ill come across something I have never seen before and then meter it so I can stretch out the enjoyment until i find the next thing. I am a cripple and asocial so all the things other people do are not the kind of things I enjoyed even when I was feeling "normal". The doctors tell me I am fine, so I dont know what it is that I am experiencing? I am looking for suggestions or advice, even a friendly word is welcome.

It sounds like ennui. Chronic ennui, if that's a thing.

Hmm, that's not a suggestion or advice. Not even a friendly word. I stuck at this stuff. So uh, well yeah. Let's see what the next poster says.

I don't know if you're experiencing is some kind of "weird" depression, it might just be plain old depression. Depression by itself is unpleasant but it is a normal thing that happens now and again. Chronic (or "clinical") depression is another matter, and is the sort of thing you should probably seek help over.

Otherwise you'll just have to wait until you come out the other end of that tunnel. You can't stay happy and "up" all the time, that's a different problem.

--Patrick

What kind of doctors have told you you're fine?

Because it sounds like depression to me.

I wish I could help you more, but in my personal experience there is no real quick fix. And, side note, I guess, I just want to say that 'all the things other people do' doesn't make them normal either. I feel like there is no such things. Everyone enjoys different things, so you don't have to feel for not enjoying the same things as them. Some people like to go see movies, others like to go hiking, some like to play sports, other like to paint, draw and write. Some like to go on walks - explore their town, some people enjoy trying new foods and being adventurous that way. Some people like to cosplay, do math, make things out of paper, travel. There's an endless list of things that people like to do and I think you're hurting yourself by telling yourself that you don't fit into a category, when in truth, you don't have to fit in anywhere.

I mean there are certain things I do with some friends, but not others, because I know where their interests lie. Lay? Guh, I hate that word.

And I don't mean to prattle on about it, I just...feel like I can relate. I deal with my own depression on a daily basis. And the only thing that helped me was medication, therapy and time. (which I know you guys joke about all of the time, but therapy straight up saved my life, so it's near and dear to my heart) What I liked about therapy was it gave me the tools to deal with my life, my sadness, the stress I felt in a healthy way. So, now that I have the tools, I don't have to take medication or go to therapy.

Anyway, I talk to much. I'm sure other people will have better advice. I just want you to know that you're not completely alone and I hope you can find something you enjoy doing. And I mean going out and doing. Don't just sit at home watching anime. Go out, explore, find something that interests you.

@LittleKagsin : while we often joke about therapy (hey guys, my girlfriend won't wear that sexy nurse costume I got her, what should I do? / THERAPY), I think you'll find very few of us here discount it as an important and often necessary part of dealing with serious issues (be it relationship-wise, depression, insecurities,...). In fact, IIRC, the joke came around because in practically every topic about such issues, one of the first and most repeated statements was "go to therapy", and it sort of devolved from there. Joking about it isn't the same as dissing it. I'm fairly sure about half the forum regulars see a therapist (me included).

That said, @Bones: I'm inclined to agree that what you have is probably some form of depression. By far most depressions aren't of the "woe is me, I'm sad all the time" variety it's portrayed like in popular fiction. "I can't find happiness in anything I do" or "I'm listless and bored" or "I don't have any energy and even doing the dishes looks and feels like an almost insurmountable task" are far more "common" feelings in depression.

Depending on how long, how strongly and how often you've been feeling like this, it may or may not be a significant problem. It's perfectly normal and OK to have ups and downs, for some people, over days, for some, over months. Men like to joke but we're just as much cyclical and hormonally determined as women. It's just not as "obvious" or as regular.
If you feel like this for months on end and/or find it really impacts your ability to function, it may be a good idea to go talk to a good therapist. If it's somewhat recurrent but temporary, there's plenty of other ways of trying to cope. A dog/puppy/someone who's there for you and lavishes attention on you and needs you and loves you and gives you a reason to get up in the day is a surprisingly (well, perhaps not) strong positive force in your life. Depending on type of work perhaps you can work around it and avoid doing too much repetitive work during "downer" periods and more during "upper" periods, if you have them.

Therapy: The creation of an environment where you are encouraged to release what you have been building up and a place for you to engage in rubber duck debugging. It doesn't necessarily have to be with a professional (it could be anywhere you can share such as THIS BOARD RIGHT HERE for instance), but professionals are usually better trained to handle/guide you.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Generally, however, a professional can refer you to a psychiatrist for medical treatment of brain disorders. See, a psychologist treats and studies behavior, including cognitive and behavioral therapy, while a psychiatrist is a medical doctor who treats medical problems affecting the mind. Depression isn't just an emotional state, it's a sign that your brain isn't working properly - maybe it's not making enough serotonin, maybe there's a hormonal imbalance, maybe neural receptors are blocked or aren't work, etc. Talking to friends can be a good first step, but you should still see a professional for a medical problem.

Necronic

Staff member
One thing I would suggest is to avoid going straight to a Psychiatrist. You will get a 15 minute session and I guarantee that it will end in a prescription. Much better to go to a psychologist first, full hour long sessions. They can then send you on to a psychiatrist if needed.

Agreed. I started out a long path with a therapist, and only after a year decided that I needed to try antidepressants.

Also, I'm not sure any chronic depression is weird. I started seeing the therapist for anger, and it was only prior experience with depression and a lot of talking things through that allowed me to recognize that it was the underlying cause.