[Food] Is there really a Starbucks on every corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Abbotsford there are this many Tim Hortons:
timmys.JPG

And almost as many Starbucks at almost the same locations, usually separated by a parking lot or street.[DOUBLEPOST=1350501672][/DOUBLEPOST]p.s. and there is one missing from google maps just east of (D)

I don't think Starbucks is quite as big in Canada as it is in the U.S. It certainly has its foothold, but compared to Tim Hortons, it's nothing. It's been said that you can find the nearest Tims just by rolling a coffee cup down the street.
I remember reading that the reason Tim Hortons is making such a push into the States (And I'm pretty sure they are even opening locations in the UK now) is because they cannot realistically expand in Canada. They control such a large percentage of the market already there's not much room to continue expanding before they stop turning a profit. Though McDonalds is apparently really catching up.

I remember reading that the reason Tim Hortons is making such a push into the States (And I'm pretty sure they are even opening locations in the UK now) is because they cannot realistically expand in Canada. They control such a large percentage of the market already there's not much room to continue expanding before they stop turning a profit. Though McDonalds is apparently really catching up.
I was actually really surprised by how much I liked McDonalds' coffee.

I haven't been to a Starbucks in...well I've never been to one as I despise corporate food chains to a tee, but what is the whole writers writing there forever true? Why would you waste time writing in a public place rather than doing it at home? Are they waiting for a bus and just killing time by writing? If someone writes in a restaurant for 2 hours and isn't waiting for a bus they are weird to me. Course that's just me.

A friend of mine loves to draw in Starbucks because people will flock attention all over him. He claims this is not the reason he does it. He is entirely full of shit.

A friend of mine loves to draw in Starbucks because people will flock attention all over him. He claims this is not the reason he does it. He is entirely full of shit.
PFFT- really? I admit to having an ego myself but that's just freaking hilarious!

Why would you waste time writing in a public place rather than doing it at home? Are they waiting for a bus and just killing time by writing?
I will very often see people studying or doing homework in the Starbucks closest to me. I don't get it. I understand they have free wi-fi and if you want food or drink it's right there, but I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate if I tried it. There are too many people and it's too loud.

I will very often see people studying or doing homework in the Starbucks closest to me. I don't get it. I understand they have free wi-fi and if you want food or drink it's right there, but I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate if I tried it. There are too many people and it's too loud.
Me too, I cannot focus on anything when there are people around. I'm also way too social and end up talking to people and forget about whatever I'd need to be doing.

I used to go to a 24 diner to study all the time, $0.50 coffee sipped on for 4-6 hours... making the waitress with Summer Teeth smile...

good times.

I like reading or studying in a cafe. It's nice. It gets me out of the house, reminds me there are people in the world... When you can't be social , it's sometimes nice just to have some human volume around. Plus, coffee. I enjoy it from time to time. In the summer I usually get through a few novels whiling away whole afternoons in my favourite cafe here. There are definitely times I need peace and quiet (especially when I'm writing) and I'll stay home or take advantage of a library but a change of scenery and little activity around can be nice.

cafe sketching is actually a wildly useful exercise that I don't do enough of because I'm always afraid people will notice and then they'll want to see my horrible drawings of them.

Cajungal

Staff member
I like going to a cafe... if not to work, then to just fart around. It's nice to be around people, and I get escape with headphones. Mingus' Ah, Um or John Ellis' Dance Like There's No Tomorrow are two good albums for making you forget you're in a public place (but not enough to do anything embarrassing). I miss sitting there, nursing a huuuuge iced coffee for 2-3 hours, and getting a little of this and a little of that done. It's one of the only things I miss about college.

Status
Not open for further replies.