Inglourious Basterds (now with spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time in nazi occupied france...

The beginning said it all, didn't it?

Watched the basterds yesterday, and though there is a certain amount of extreme violence, I actually enjoyed the flick...

It was a typical "Tarantino", so it's more fiction and trophwhoring than anything else. The only thing missing in this film was the typical tarantino-video-shot-from-the-trunk. IIrc, every tarantino movie had a shot in it where the camera films out of the trunk?

ElJuski

Staff member
No, that's true; it couldn't have been straight exploitation because there were some threads of humanization and dignity given to the characters. Yet, I'm not convinced, since the movie so thoroughly demonizes the main nazi villains to such a wonderfully malicious extent, that there really was no aim for making an anti-war statement. There's a certain insane reveling in watching Hitler get his face shot to full fucking shit.

I

Iaculus

No, that's true; it couldn't have been straight exploitation because there were some threads of humanization and dignity given to the characters. Yet, I'm not convinced, since the movie so thoroughly demonizes the main nazi villains to such a wonderfully malicious extent, that there really was no aim for making an anti-war statement. There's a certain insane reveling in watching Hitler get his face shot to full fucking shit.
Exactly my point: it didn't seem to be able to decide which it was. That was my gripe with it. Would have preferred either a straight tongue-in-cheek fantasy or a full subversion, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.