In San Fran for the next few days, gimme some stuff to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests, am in San Fran for the next 5-6 days traveling with my folks. We plan on hitting Alcatraz later next week, but other than that I don't really have much else on the list. I think Mom wanted to go to Winchester House at some point, & the wharf.

We're staying downtown & have a rental car. So gimme some suggestions peeps! (please :))

Are you interested in birds at all? When I went to Maker Faire a few years ago, I had a free morning so I went into the city and tracked down some of the "Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill".

Chinatown, California Academy of Sciences museums, go to an art museum, Fisherman's Wharf, take a drive on the PCH to Half Moon Bay...if you want a day trip further away there is always Napa Valley.

I second Muir Woods which has the added bonus of being able to drive across the Golden Gate bridge to get to it. Also The Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park which it just so happens is right across from the already mentioned and extremely awesome California Academy of Sciences.

Thanks for the suggestions folks! Back home again & had a great time. First day went to the wharf & Ghirardelli square & had my first In-n-out burger (verdict: meh).

The rest of the week was somewhat limited by my father's free time (convention schedule) & a humongous women's marathon that took place on sunday. 2nd day we drove across the GG bridge & into Muir Woods. OMFG that place is in a hole!! Was very beautiful but unfortunately we only got about 90 minutes of daylight in the park. On a side note - the lady on the Garmin was never the same after we climbed out of that hole.

Monday we got a couple of those tour bus passes & rode those to a few places. Rode a trolley, walked Chinatown through to Lombard, took a twilight tour to Sausalito & watched our tour bus driver snag the bumper off of a poorly parked Toyota truck. Tuesday was Golden Gate park & the Academy of Sciences. Finally weds was the trip to Alcatraz. Alcatraz was awesome.

Didn't do the exploratorium because it's currently a little off the beaten path. I saw where it's moving to a new location onto one of the piers closer to downtown. If it had been there I would have been more likely to make it there.

Funniest moment of the trip - in Chinatown I was standing a few feet behind my mother looking up something on my phone while she was using one of those penny-smooshing machines (she has quite a collection). As I was standing there on my phone, I guess some chinese woman had to walk around me on the sidewalk & proceeded to curse me in broken english as she walked on. Finally when I realized her ire was directed at me & I started paying attention to what she was saying, she stopped about 10 feet away & turned to tell me "why don't I pick on someone of my own height & weight".

Great trip - but super expensive. $32/day to park in a garage on 4th street. I think the only 2 meals I had that were less than $10 was the 2 trips to in-n-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.