House rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Monopoly there is an ongoing debate at my table regarding how a player handles bankruptcy.

I believe that a player needs to try his best to settle his debt, so that when he's selling to other players he's at least getting the mortgage price for the properties.

We have a few sore losers however who think it's perfectly fine to sell everything they have to the underdog for $1.

I've been bitten by this one plenty.

-When you go bankrupt, you are first forced to hand over all of your cash.
-If the debt is not yet satisfied, you are then required to either cash in houses/hotels AND/OR mortgage unimproved properties until your debt is met. You may not mortgage a property until any/all of the houses/hotels on it have been sold back to the bank.
-If your debt is to the bank, and you have nothing left of value, you are done. Hand everything over to the bank and step aside. The bank will then auction off all of your properties to the highest bidder(s).*
-If your debt is to another player, you are done. Hand everything over to the other player and step aside.*

To raise cash, any player may sell any property (mortgaged or unmortgaged) or Get Out Of Jail Free card to any other player at any time for whatever amount of money that (s)he can get.

@blotsfan - When a property goes up for auction because you decline to purchase it, you can still bid. From the official rules: "Any player, including the one who declined the option to buy it at the printed price, may bid. Bidding may start at any price." This also means that the player being the Banker can be a total dick and start the bidding at $25,000 if (s)he wants, of course.

--Patrick
*People receiving mortgaged property (whether from sale or auction) must pay 10% interest of the total value (as listed on the back of each card) of all mortgaged property on receipt. They then have the option of immediately paying the mortgage value to unmortgage that property. A player may wait until later to unmortgage a property, but (s)he will have to pay the 10% interest again at that time.

Shawnacy said:
Krisken said:
Risk took too damn long, so we instituted Nuclear Risk. Cards with countries on them could be used to turn those countries into nuclear wastelands. Any continent no longer attached to another continent became unlivable. Things could turn very quickly if you drew the right card.
Have you ever heard of Risk 2210? It's a futuristic risk game by Avalon Hill that gives you access to ability cards and new territories (including underwater facilities and the moon). One of the sets of cards you can buy are the Nuclear cards which usually involve blowing stuff up. Right at the start of the game two countries are chosen at random to be nuke wastelands. And later in the game someone can use a nuke card to do the same to a country of their choice.

In Risk 2210 it is an absolute death sentence to amass a giant army in one location and march across the land.
I'll have to give that a look see. It definitely need to check that out!

A friend of mine has a group of friends that still have annual or bi-annual risk games with their child hood friends. Important ground rules. The first one out brings the refreshments to the other players, and the 2nd place finisher hosts the next game.

Krisken said:
Shawnacy said:
Krisken said:
Risk took too damn long, so we instituted Nuclear Risk. Cards with countries on them could be used to turn those countries into nuclear wastelands. Any continent no longer attached to another continent became unlivable. Things could turn very quickly if you drew the right card.
Have you ever heard of Risk 2210? It's a futuristic risk game by Avalon Hill that gives you access to ability cards and new territories (including underwater facilities and the moon). One of the sets of cards you can buy are the Nuclear cards which usually involve blowing stuff up. Right at the start of the game two countries are chosen at random to be nuke wastelands. And later in the game someone can use a nuke card to do the same to a country of their choice.

In Risk 2210 it is an absolute death sentence to amass a giant army in one location and march across the land.
I'll have to give that a look see. It definitely need to check that out!
I like the addition of Nukes. Never played Risk 2210, but I might have to implement a nuke rule next time we play regular old risk.

I hesitate to buy a newer version of risk, because I have a [strike:306n8uhk]stolen[/strike:306n8uhk] borrowed edition from like ... 1952 or something. I don't know the real year, but man is it old. All of the units are painted wooden blocks.

Rob King said:
I hesitate to buy a newer version of risk, because I have a [strike:2fvr3krk]stolen[/strike:2fvr3krk] borrowed edition from like ... 1952 or something. I don't know the real year, but man is it old. All of the units are painted wooden blocks.
Blocks and jellybeans. Yep, my father still has a set like that.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.