Hey nerd, what comics did you get this week?

• Thread starter Steven Soderburgin
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Soderburgin

This week, I'm picking up the Captain Britain and MI:13 Annual, Dark Avengers #5, and the new issue of Exiles, but what I'm most excited about is Grant Morrison's Batman And Robin #1. It'll be awesome.

It'll also be awesome when, later this month, the Detective Comics starring Batwoman hits shelves so I can finally pick up a DC book that doesn't have Morrison on the cover.

What about you?

Edrondol said:
5 books of Order of the Stick. But I don't get to keep them. :waah:
I do! Er, wait... :ninja:

This week, I picked up:
-The Unwritten #1 (get it! Seriously! It's only $1!)
-Definitive Queen & Country Vol.4 (great British espionage book)
-Invincible Vol.10 (continues to be a great series)

Not this week exactly, but I just picked up all 12 TPBs of 100 Bullets. Now I have to wait for the final one.

K

kaykordeath

ThatNickGuy said:
Gah, that was like 2 weeks ago, BAD NERD!!! But yes, everyone should pick this up, was a great read.

Friday, I plan on picking up Batman/Robin #1 and Secret Six #10....continuing to be the best thing DC is currently putting out. Also picking up The Muppet Show #3, because that along with The Incredibles and Cars has, thanks to Boom Studios, allowed me to sit down and read comisc with my daughter that both of us are HIGHLY enjoying. Seriously...the Muppet Show book is almost just barely close enough to making it feel like you're watching the old episodes.

Nothing really coming out this week that is on my must read list. Might have gotten Batman and Robin if it wasn't for Frank Quitely.

Cajungal

Staff member
kaykordeath said:
ThatNickGuy said:
Gah, that was like 2 weeks ago, BAD NERD!!! But yes, everyone should pick this up, was a great read.

Friday, I plan on picking up Batman/Robin #1 and Secret Six #10....continuing to be the best thing DC is currently putting out. Also picking up The Muppet Show #3, because that along with The Incredibles and Cars has, thanks to Boom Studios, allowed me to sit down and read comisc with my daughter that both of us are HIGHLY enjoying. Seriously...the Muppet Show book is almost just barely close enough to making it feel like you're watching the old episodes.
It think it's time for a "just because" present for the fellow... :D

S

Steven Soderburgin

Covar said:
Nothing really coming out this week that is on my must read list. Might have gotten Batman and Robin if it wasn't for Frank Quitely.
I... I don't understand.

Are you saying you don't like how this looks?

S

Steven Soderburgin

Well I just don't know what to say to that, but Grant Morrison is awesome anyway. :)

R

redapples

Covar said:
nope. its just plain ugly to me.
http://www.visionexpress.com

Frank Quitely is the Shit. Just reread we3 and man is that one beautiful book.

As for me no comics in this week so will probably pick up the new edition of the Ocean TP as well as Batman and Robin (thanks for the tip). A day late as Thursday is comic book day over here.

R

Rubicon

None this week.

BUT, huge convention in a few weeks, with two paychecks prior to... oh yes Im going to load up on books, action figures, collectables..

S

Steven Soderburgin

Updating to say that the Batman And Robin comic was awesome, that is all, peace

A

Alex B.

I'll be trade waiting Batman and Robin.

I pre-order most of my comics, so this week I actually got all my May comics. Still chugging through them. In addition to the regular pulls, I got the I Kill Giants trade and the first volume of Lone Wolf and Cub. Looking forward to both.

So I won't get them until next month, but it looks like a light week for me. New Avengers: Reunion and the Buffy one-shot.

And while I disagree, I can kind of see how someone wouldn't like Quitely. His people and faces aren't always pretty (sometimes it seems like he's not sure where to put eyes). But the man can tell a story.

Yes, I find his faces weird most of the time, but in Batman and Robin I swear they weren't too bad. Even nice, sometimes?

Yeah, I'm kinda hot and cold with Quitely, depending on my mood. He's done some amazing stuff (We3, All Star Superman, X-Men, JLA: Earth 2)....huh, you know, maybe it's anything he does with Morrison that I happen to like. :D

Shannow

Staff member
i read pretty much most of the main stuff that comes out weekly, with my favorite smaller thing thrown in as well. Bless you, internet, and your loose morals.

R

Rubicon

that reminds me, Covar you going to Heroes Con this year? I wonder if Dusty (HF Dusty not Shelton's Dusty) is gonna drive down and attend.

Lotta big names this year.

To clarify my stance on Quitely (after all i should provide more than just "its ugly"). I find his art to look "muddy" if that makes any sense. I think this stems from his inability to draw a steady line. I find the tiny swiggly lines kills any sense of texture in his art. On top of this I've yet to see him draw any person that would be a 5 or higher If I ran into them on the street. He made Emma Frost and Jean Grey look like ugly old hags when he was on New X-men. Which is actually a good lead in to my biggest issue with Quitely; his speed. I'm not saying he should be as fast an artist as Jack Kirby was, or even as fast as Mark Bagley (both of whom IMO put out better quality art), but the man can't even come close to a monthly schedule and yet continuously gets himself put on "monthly" titles.

@Mav: I had thought about attending (i've yet to go to a con), but unfortunately it once again falls on the one weekend a month I have to work.

L

lafftaff

I bought an Archie comic. Does that count? Or should I leave this discussion with my head hanging in shame?

R

Rubicon

lafftaff said:
I bought an Archie comic. Does that count? Or should I leave this discussion with my head hanging in shame?
This begs exploration.

Did you buy the #600 cause he was getting married / high number issue or did you buy it cause it's what you normally read and such?

:tongue:

lafftaff said:
If it was Punisher meets Archie, then you can stay. Anything else? GTFO. :p

As far as Quitely goes, I can kind of unverstand where you're coming from Covar. However, I'm sure we can at least agree that the guy deserves more work in the business than, say, Rob Liefeld. ;) And come on, tell me a lot of his work in All Star Superman wasn't absolutely gorgeous.

ThatNickGuy said:
As far as Quitely goes, I can kind of unverstand where you're coming from Covar. However, I'm sure we can at least agree that the guy deserves more work in the business than, say, Rob Liefeld. ;) And come on, tell me a lot of his work in All Star Superman wasn't absolutely gorgeous.
I found his ASS (should probably have spelled that one out) to be just as ugly as I find his other work.

Regarding Liefeld: how can you not find his work sexy

:unibrow: :twisted:

Cajungal

Staff member
lafftaff said:
Whatever, I still read my moldy old Archies from grade school. Did you know that Big Moose is Dyslexic now?!?! So we're not allowed to laugh when he does something dumb. What the hell, man? What the hell?

L

lafftaff

Mav said:
lafftaff said:
This begs exploration.

Did you buy the #600 cause he was getting married / high number issue or did you buy it cause it's what you normally read and such?

:tongue:
Well, the #600 comic doesn't come out until August. It was a bit of both though. I used to read Archie comics pretty regularly but got out of the habit. The marriage news made me nostalgic for the comic again. I just like them because they're easy and uncomplicated and I can buy it at the grocery store.

Whatever, I still read my moldy old Archies from grade school. Did you know that Big Moose is Dyslexic now?!?! So we're not allowed to laugh when he does something dumb. What the *, man? What the *?
What!? Pssh, that's like the Cookie Monster and how cookies are now a "sometimes" food. Damn PC

R

redapples

Covar said:
To clarify my stance on Quitely (after all i should provide more than just "its ugly"). I find his art to look "muddy" if that makes any sense. I think this stems from his inability to draw a steady line. I find the tiny swiggly lines kills any sense of texture in his art. On top of this I've yet to see him draw any person that would be a 5 or higher If I ran into them on the street. He made Emma Frost and Jean Grey look like ugly old hags when he was on New X-men. Which is actually a good lead in to my biggest issue with Quitely; his speed. I'm not saying he should be as fast an artist as Jack Kirby was, or even as fast as Mark Bagley (both of whom IMO put out better quality art), but the man can't even come close to a monthly schedule and yet continuously gets himself put on "monthly" titles.

@Mav: I had thought about attending (i've yet to go to a con), but unfortunately it once again falls on the one weekend a month I have to work.
I take some of what you say on board and it emphasises the different aesthetic qualities that people bring to art. There are other artists who may suffer from similar issues spring to mind (Steve Pugh for example) this doesn't mean that I cannot enjoy their art, though it will not be to everyone's liking. Speed can be an issue and I understand it can piss of readers especially of monthly titles but I hold up The Rocketeer as exhibit B for the defence. I waited for years/decades for that to get finished, it never was. So in comparison to Dave Stevens anyone else is like The Flash. Speed should not be a reason to dislike some-one's art just their scheduling.

Picked up "Serenity: Better Days" for only a few bucks from Barnes and Noble.

Employee discount at Barnes and Noble + Extra 10% off Weekend + Lots and lots of comics=WIN.

redapples said:
Covar said:

I take some of what you say on board and it emphasises the different aesthetic qualities that people bring to art. There are other artists who may suffer from similar issues spring to mind (Steve Pugh for example) this doesn't mean that I cannot enjoy their art, though it will not be to everyone's liking. Speed can be an issue and I understand it can * of readers especially of monthly titles but I hold up The Rocketeer as exhibit B for the defence. I waited for years/decades for that to get finished, it never was. So in comparison to Dave Stevens anyone else is like The Flash. Speed should not be a reason to dislike some-one's art just their scheduling.
Speed is a big additional factor to me. Not the only reason. For example I love Ethan Van Sciver and Gary Frank's artwork (Superman: Secret Origin needs to just come out already). Both artists are incapable of keeping a monthly schedule. However unlike Quitely and Brian Hitch they are not being constantly placed on monthly books. Remember All-Star Superman (not abbreviating that again) was supposed to be Monthly. Thank goodness it was self-contained otherwise you would have had the entire Superman line derailed worse than the Last Son story.

S

Steven Soderburgin

There are no monthlies coming out this week that I want to get, so I may pick up the next trade of Y: The Last Man that I need instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.