[Announcement] Help genetic research! Apply within:

Two things: if you are interested in the autism stuff go to point 1. If you are interested in the genome stuff go to point 2.

Disclaimer: I am not a representative of this consortium. I am a scientist who works on studies similar to this, but for different traits and diseases. I went to a science talk from a fellow who is affiliated with this group. They are looking for volunteers with autism to participate in a study. I don't know the ins and outs of it. Usually, it will involve a fairly extensive questionaire. If you or your child meet the criteria then they will likely ask for a DNA sample (spit or mouth swab), and then they'll genotype or sequence the DNA and study the genetics of the disease. It is confidential. I work with data like this and there is no way for me to find out the identity of the person who donated the DNA. It will help science and help the understanding of genetic basis for Autism.

Go here for more info:
https://sparkforautism.org/

Same disclaimer as above. DNA.LAND is a group that is aggregating data from companies like 23andme, ancestry.com, etc in order to help scientists by creating a massive set of genotyped/sequenced genome data + phenotypic info provided by questionaires. They in-turn provide a service to you for donating your data.

Here's a section from their website:
If my genome data is already on 23andMe, FTDNA, AncestryDNA, and GEDmatch, and I’ve run it through Promethease, what additional value will I get by uploading it to DNA Land? (top)
DNA.Land provides you with several additional features:
  • DNA.Land imputes your genome, which opens the possibility of seeing genetic variations that were not part of the original file. It is similar to getting whole genome sequencing data (albeit we still miss some rare variations) without investing thousands of dollars.
  • You might find additional relatives because we use different algorithms.
  • We will be adding other features to the website that you don't get with other sites. This is just the beginning. Early adopters will help us to validate our approach and to continue our efforts.
  • Last but not least, you contribute to academic science through DNA.Land. 23andMe are doing some research but they are a private company and hold a lot of data for themselves. By contributing your genome to DNA.Land you will enable non-profit researchers and advance basic and translational science.
https://dna.land/

Thanks for helping science!