[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
Same here. I can win matches, but it just doesn't feel good to get overwhelmed by cards you don't have.

- Basic deck: play smart, control the board, draw cards, eventually you'll win if your opponent doesn't get the combo cards they need.

- Legendary/Epic heavy deck: Use combos to win in the early game with nothing that can be done to counter or prepare.

Turn one lethal is possible with Druid! It would be a damn rare draw, but Alexstraza + Innervate + Ragnaros + Faceless Manipulator = win before your opponent even gets a turn.

figmentPez

Staff member
Big changes are coming for Hearthstone:

A New Way to Play

The bullet points, as I understand them:
  • Casual and Ranked play will get divided into "Standard" and "Wild" Modes
    • Wild is all the cards ever released
    • Standard is the basic and classic sets, plus all the expansions from the most recent year
    • When it first comes out, Standard will exclude Naxx and GvG
    • other expansions will be phased out yearly
  • More deck slots. You get 18 now... just enough to have one Standard and one Wild deck for each class, BOO!
  • Expansion packs and Adventures that are no longer part of Standard will not be available for purchase.
    • Cards can still be crafted from dust, including those from discontinued adventures.
  • Changes are going to be made to basic and classic cards.
  • These changes will be added when the first 2016 expansion hits

I hate the idea of not being able to get old cards after their season passes, because OMG neurotic need to collect. I could still waste dust on them though I guess...

I guess it won't matter to people like Poe though.

I hate the idea of not being able to get old cards after their season passes, because OMG neurotic need to collect. I could still waste dust on them though I guess...

I guess it won't matter to people like Poe though.
I realize I'm the HS 1% (well, I don't own all -gold- cards, so I can't claim to be true 1%) but that change actually bothers me, too. It doesn't currently affect me, but I don't like the idea that new players coming in will have an entire format and list of cards that are basically walled off from them, just because they weren't playing in years past.

Well, crap.
It's turning into H:tG.
Unless there's something I'm missing, it's turning into "Well, you don't have to pay to win, but it sure helps," because otherwise good luck getting all the cards in an expansion via packs before it gets retired unless you spend actual cash.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The amount of cards that this is, in effect, a nerf to is pretty astounding. Doctor Boom and Piloted Shredder, especially.

The amount of cards that this is, in effect, a nerf to is pretty astounding. Doctor Boom and Piloted Shredder, especially.
Deaths bite, sludge belcher, mad scientist, loatheb, shielded minibot, avenge, coghammer... A lot more, these are just off the top of my head

The biggest one for all classes is antique healbot I think. They are going to have to introduce a new heal card in the upcoming expansion because so many control decks rely on them and I do not think earthen ring or refreshment vendor is going to be able to take that place when they are also losing zombie chow, sludge and death lord. I'm kind of excited to play in a world with no doctor boom always crushing my dreams by destroying my five and six drop without him or his boom bots ever attacking, but I am going to miss playing my crazy combo decks that relied on some of the soon to be retired cards.

I realize I'm the HS 1% (well, I don't own all -gold- cards, so I can't claim to be true 1%) but that change actually bothers me, too. It doesn't currently affect me, but I don't like the idea that new players coming in will have an entire format and list of cards that are basically walled off from them, just because they weren't playing in years past.
But it also 'protects' new players, in a way. The amount of packs and adventures to buy becomes insurmountable to the casual player jsut arriving to hearthstone, so they'll never have as much to choose from to build their decks as more veteran players (unless they spend quite a lot of money).

It's saying that you need to be playing adventures as they are relased, but it's also saying that if you're a newcomer you don't need to go back and play all of them and buy 3 or 4 different kinds of packs...

The biggest one for all classes is antique healbot I think. They are going to have to introduce a new heal card in the upcoming expansion because so many control decks rely on them and I do not think earthen ring or refreshment vendor is going to be able to take that place when they are also losing zombie chow, sludge and death lord. I'm kind of excited to play in a world with no doctor boom always crushing my dreams by destroying my five and six drop without him or his boom bots ever attacking, but I am going to miss playing my crazy combo decks that relied on some of the soon to be retired cards.
Back...to...the.......junk.......heap.

figmentPez

Staff member
THERE ARE SO MANY CARDS I NEED. Too bad Hearthstone never agrees. I blame Poe.

I, uh, may have a bit of a hoarding problem...

Hearthstone Hoarding Problem.jpg

But what if they nerf the cards I just disenchanted? What if I use the dust to craft something, only to immediately regret it?

But... But... Those are extra cards that you couldn't put in your deck anyways! Why wouldn't you just dust them?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

But... But... Those are extra cards that you couldn't put in your deck anyways! Why wouldn't you just dust them?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND.
There is a reason to not dust them if you think some cards may be nerfed, since you will then get full dust value out of them for waiting. However, Blizzard doesn't change cards as often as they used to.

Last edited:
But how are they needed if you already have more than two? Unless you mean the quality of the card will change???

But how are they needed if you already have more than two? Unless you mean the quality of the card will change???
No, he's saying when Blizzard changes a card, you can dust it and get 100% of its creation value, rather than the usual 12-25%.
Hence if you hang onto a card until it gets changed/nerfed, you can reap a lot more dust.

--Patrick

Oh, good. I didn't realize it, but when you buy an adventure that gets retired, the adventure doesn't get removed. You can still play it to completion (and earn the cards that way) rather than having to craft them later.

--Patrick

You know, as much as I make fun of people spending $10 on a new class icon... I would pay for a Lady Liadrin paladin. Some of this is because I hate Uther though.